shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking CAR thoughts

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
from PSers! It's about that time to replace my beloved RAV4 and I'm curious about what y'all are driving right now that THRILLS you. I'll list my specific needs/wants but would certainly welcome any tales of car love even if they don't apply to my sitch.

MUST HAVES
* higher stance (so probably a small SUV like the RAV4 -- due to some ongoing BACK PROBLEMS ugh!)
* comfortable drivers seat (see above re: back - ouch!)
* AWD (we live up north and it snows 6 months out of the year)
* reliability

DESIRES
* smooth ride (yeah - the back thing again)
* decent gas mileage
* certain amount of plushness
* unique color
* navigation
* sunroof/moonroof

I super really dislike the look of the new RAV4 so that's out. Been considering 1-2 year old Acura RDXs ... or 2013 Honda CR-Vs but haven't test driven yet. Have an irrational crush on a Nissan 370z roadster but that has ZERO of my "Must Haves". Gah. Can you say "midlife crisis"?!!!

:wavey: :wink2: :oops: :naughty: :saint: :shock: :kiss:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, I'm seriously considering getting a RAV 4 to replace my Corolla in a few years. The time frame keeps getting pushed back, but I can't wait to start looking.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the new RAV 4? Is it the design -- the lack of a tire on the back and/or something else?Oh, and you mentioned wanting a unique color. What are you thinking?

What about a CR-V? I love the roominess of them, and they don't feel too big.

Subarus also, for the AWD factor. There's the XV Crosstrek (you could get it in orange!), Forrester, or Outback. Maybe the Tribeca.

One of my friends has a Nissan Rogue and she LOVES it. I've ridden in it and it has a smooth ride. It's not as big as the Nissan Murano, which I like.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1374362445|3486984 said:
Ha, I'm seriously considering getting a RAV 4 to replace my Corolla in a few years. The time frame keeps getting pushed back, but I can't wait to start looking.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the new RAV 4? Is it the design -- the lack of a tire on the back and/or something else?Oh, and you mentioned wanting a unique color. What are you thinking?

What about a CR-V? I love the roominess of them, and they don't feel too big.

Subarus also, for the AWD factor. There's the XV Crosstrek (you could get it in orange!), Forrester, or Outback. Maybe the Tribeca.

One of my friends has a Nissan Rogue and she LOVES it. I've ridden in it and it has a smooth ride. It's not as big as the Nissan Murano, which I like.
Hey Zoe,

I've love love loved my RAV4. It's a 2005 w/89K miles. I'm considering keeping it for another year or two but I made a big mistake & left it sit for several months w/o driving when DH got his new fun car ... and the tires flattened out & the brakes rusted a bit so I'm seeing how much it will cost to fix to decide whether it's time to bite the bullet & get a new one -- or cheap enough to fix my beloved baby for a while longer.

It's going to sound a bit CRAZY but I think the new RAV's look "mean". Something about the split in the front bumper or ???? I can't tell. But it looks mean to me. These new car designs all look all SNARLY & stuff. Even the Acura does a bit. The Honda's the "friendliest" small SUV in my opinion -- except for the VWs but they aren't as reliable as I'd prefer. (Love the design & plushness)

The Rogue is interesting. Maybe I should test drive that as well. Subarus are UBIQUITOUS up here. I think it might be illegal not to own one. But they seems soooooooo stationwagony to me. We don't have kids. Just two mid-40s adults with a small dog. I'd be okay with a two seater w/a hatch if it was tall enough & had AWD. Would love the gas savings & lower carbon footprint. When are they making a tall convertible Smart Car HA!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We recently test drove a Subaru Outback and I was amazed at the ride and the comfort factor of it. We have a Honda Pilot and it is very slightly lower but has excellent ground clearance. It was incredibly smooth riding. It had a lot of leg room in both the front and the back, and is very easy to get into for a person with limited mobility, like my son who is hemi-plegic from a brain injury. I think it will be my next car!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE :love: LOVE :love: LOVE my Chevy Equinox. :D :D It's great! It has a higher clearance, good fuel economy, fits the 5 of us pretty well. We originally bought it because DH had hurt his back and needed more support. Now DH has suggested that we get something else (say when we win the lotto) but I love my Equinox. :D :D

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
i have an irrational crush on the Nissan Juke, it's like a small crossover/suv! I like small cars though...although it is a bit bigger than my current Yaris!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have an Acura RDX and love it. Well not as much as my TL (we got the RDX so we could start Mountain Biking)... don't ask how many times we've actually used it for that :rolleyes: lol

It handles really nicely, super comfy and still sporty enough for my style. This is my 3rd Acura and I have been super happy with all 3. Low (and affordable) maintenance, drives well, and just overall holds up really well. The only reason I preferred my TL over the RDX is just due to handling. I'm a pretty "sporty" driver so no SUV will really cut it for me in that regard. But other than that, it's great.

I just saw a brand new one the other day that looks really great. Are you looking at brand new? We bought a Certified pre-owned a few years ago. I only drive 7-9K miles a year so it looks like it's going to last me a while. However if the biking thing never works out, I'm moving on to either a Porsche Panamera or a Tesla Model S, I'm in love with both :love:

Good luck! Post pics one you get it!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1374367888|3487014 said:
We recently test drove a Subaru Outback and I was amazed at the ride and the comfort factor of it. We have a Honda Pilot and it is very slightly lower but has excellent ground clearance. It was incredibly smooth riding. It had a lot of leg room in both the front and the back, and is very easy to get into for a person with limited mobility, like my son who is hemi-plegic from a brain injury. I think it will be my next car!
Interesting. There's a dealer near me ... maybe I should look more closely. Thanks!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cozystitches|1374368300|3487016 said:
I LOVE :love: LOVE :love: LOVE my Chevy Equinox. :D :D It's great! It has a higher clearance, good fuel economy, fits the 5 of us pretty well. We originally bought it because DH had hurt his back and needed more support. Now DH has suggested that we get something else (say when we win the lotto) but I love my Equinox. :D :D
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out online. Hope your DH is better now! (But *I* am going to win all future lotteries so, sorry 'bout that. LOL) :naughty:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovebug1031|1374369000|3487019 said:
i have an irrational crush on the Nissan Juke, it's like a small crossover/suv! I like small cars though...although it is a bit bigger than my current Yaris!
I was just looking at some on the road today. I like that it's small but tall. It's still a bit "snarly" looking but maybe I could get over it? Thanks for weighing in!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
asscher_girl|1374374061|3487039 said:
I have an Acura RDX and love it. Well not as much as my TL (we got the RDX so we could start Mountain Biking)... don't ask how many times we've actually used it for that :rolleyes: lol

It handles really nicely, super comfy and still sporty enough for my style. This is my 3rd Acura and I have been super happy with all 3. Low (and affordable) maintenance, drives well, and just overall holds up really well. The only reason I preferred my TL over the RDX is just due to handling. I'm a pretty "sporty" driver so no SUV will really cut it for me in that regard. But other than that, it's great.

I just saw a brand new one the other day that looks really great. Are you looking at brand new? We bought a Certified pre-owned a few years ago. I only drive 7-9K miles a year so it looks like it's going to last me a while. However if the biking thing never works out, I'm moving on to either a Porsche Panamera or a Tesla Model S, I'm in love with both :love:

Good luck! Post pics one you get it!
Ha! I was just looking at Teslas! And checking out the map of where those "super charging" stations will be opening over the next 2-3 years. I love that it's my main travel route from NYC to DC! But I don't think that's in the cards for me right now.

Since getting UBER burned with a new Land Rover back in 2002 - I've been more amp'd on the Certified Pre Owned sitch. Did that last time - one model year out & only 8K miles. I was STUNNED that the new 2013 CRVs are just a couple thousand more than the pre-owned ones. Those things hold their value! More savings on the pre-owned Acuras but RARE around here in the trimline I'd want. (w/Nav) One I was eyeing sold within days of appearing. No others right now but I'm not in a super rush. Could wait for the right deal if I decide that's the way to go.

Thanks for the Acura review! Consumer Reports seems to love them & want to have their babies. Not so much the VWs and BMWs I think are so stinkin cute. Sigh.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE our 2013 Mazda CX5! It is similar to our CX7 that it replaced and is just great! (see my notes at the end of each of your wants)
Also rated as one of the safest cars.
BTW, my back was so bad I couldn't stand on my own earlier this year. I still have days that it is a problem. This car is so comfortable that I found myself going out just to sit in it for a bit.

MUST HAVES
* higher stance (so probably a small SUV like the RAV4 -- due to some ongoing BACK PROBLEMS ugh!) -- Easy to get into with back problems (I tested this :nono: ).
* comfortable drivers seat (see above re: back - ouch!) --- Comfortable drivers seat and passenger seats. (tested this with bad back too :nono: )
* AWD (we live up north and it snows 6 months out of the year) -- comes in AWD, we had to wait several months to have ours custom built to NOT have AWD. Also comes with traction control. (we ordered nice snow/ice tires to go on ours also)
* reliability -- Driven this for more than a year and 15,000+ miles without any issue

DESIRES
* smooth ride (yeah - the back thing again) -- Got that (tried with the bad back and is still good that way)
* decent gas mileage -- We've been getting 28mpg in our every day driving. (mostly stop and go with average speed of <30mph with lots of up/down hills). On highway we get closer to 33-35mpg. Can take any grade of fuel. (the first year CX7 had to have only premium so this is a great change for us!)
* certain amount of plushness -- We got the "touring" and it is pretty nice inside. Push button start, leather automatic (with manual mode) shift, back up camera, blind spot monitoring. Comes standard with Bose + moon roof (we ordered without)
* unique color -- Got some great colors to choose from.
* navigation -- Option that can be added.
* sunroof/moonroof -- standard in the "touring" edition

Two center console cup holders, two center cup holders in the special fold down for back seats, additional holders in each door, USB, great three section back seat for lots of fold down options, lots of cargo space, etc.

Options for back seat video, upgraded sound system, etc.

The "grand touring" came with even more stuff standard.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a BMW x1?

ViolaDiamante

Rough_Rock
I bought my Subaru Outback last winter, and I like it a lot. I was comparing it to a Rav (the 2012, so not the new model). I was never a Subaru fan before, but while I was car shopping somebody mentioned how reliable, etc they are so I started considering them. I chose the Outback over the Rav because I think the more 'wagon-y' shape is better for the cargo space in the trunk (I think longer vs taller gives more options.) But it also has more ground clearance than the Rav, which I wanted for snow and gravel roads. But the interior is what really sold me. The Outback with all the options is much nicer inside than the Rav with all the options: nicer leather, dashboard, controls, etc. The seats are really comfy too. I originally resisted the Outback because its such a family car (no kids here either), and the Forester is more SUV and less wagon, but since the Outback is bigger it won. I've had it for about a year and a half and 40,000 miles and its doing well!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a big Toyota fan although we own both Hondas and Toyotas.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I just bought a 2010 Forester and we love it. The 2014 model is even better with improved MPG and great performance in crash tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8I0nhXlDY

In general, they are reliable, safe, have high ground clearance, and have AWD. The higher end trims have leather seats, a massive moonroof, and other nice extras. The CR-Vs are great cars too but we chose Subaru for their reputation for safety, since we were still paranoid from just being in a bad accident.

The compare feature on Edmunds helped us choose our car as well:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/

Car shopping can be a lot of fun! Let us know what you choose!

:wavey:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It hasn't been mentioned yet but meets all your critera and yes I'm little biased as I LOVE my car. It is a Volvo XC60 which is there crossover SUV. I love my car and wouldn't trade it for the world. Get avg of 23mpg- and I also have back problems. The seats are very comfortable and offer great support.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Decodelighted,

My Jeep Grand Cherokee is my favorite car of all time--I've had it about 2 years, I think its the 2011, the new body style.

Its an Overland, which means it's the highest trim level available--it has all the goodies, heated & air conditioned seats, decent gas mileage, moon roof, blue tooth phone, etc etc--plus an incredible ride & comfortable seats. It is a 5 passenger, the Durango is a 7 passenger, we did not need a 7 passenger.

I've driven Audi's, MB's, VW's, hands down, this Jeep is my favorite. We live in an area where winter driving can be challenging--the Jeep Grand Cherokee motors through all of it.

The new Cherokee reflects some design influences from the Daimler Chrysler days. It's a very nice automobile, I'd add it to your shopping list.

Have fun shopping!
sarahb

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I love my new Honda CR-V. The car colors are meh, but its a relatively inexpensive car to purchase and for gas mileage..it fits all my family members and dog with plenty of room. Its still a SUV, albeit a small one, but its big enough. I like the shape of them..and the middle range CRV includes a moon roof, and all of them have the rear video monitoring so you can back up into small spaces without freaking out. With gas being at a premium, there is no way I would buy a gas guzzler..Im too cheap.
The new Subarus are cute too.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
We love our Tesla Model S, deco, so if you ever DO find yourself looking at it or the Model X (crossover debuting in early 2014) in your upcoming search, I'm happy to answer any questions about our 2300 miles of experiences so far! (Same goes for you, asscher_girl!)

Aside from that, my DH and I have ever only owned small, low-end sedans...and the Mustang. So not much help!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Cozystitches|1374368300|3487016 said:

I have an Equinox also and love it!! :love:

My mother just got a 2013 Honda CRV and is in LOVE with it!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1374526540|3487943 said:
We love our Tesla Model S, deco, so if you ever DO find yourself looking at it or the Model X (crossover debuting in early 2014) in your upcoming search, I'm happy to answer any questions about our 2300 miles of experiences so far! (Same goes for you, asscher_girl!)

Aside from that, my DH and I have ever only owned small, low-end sedans...and the Mustang. So not much help!

So Jelly vc10um!!!! I love that car so much! I'll let you know if I decide on that or the Panamera :love: :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey! no time no see!!!! :wavey:

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Just off the top of my head:

Hyundai Tuscon
Nissan Murano
Kia Sportage or Sorrento
Toyota Venza
Subaru TriBeCa
Ford Edge
Mazda CX5
Volvo XC 90
VW Tiguan or Touareg
Acura MDX or RDX

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I'm gonna go against the grain and say KEEP YOUR CAR! A Toyota you LOVE with only 89k miles? Brakes and tires aren't that much money! That thing will go for another 100k! But I hate having cars and car payments, so I'm biased. I totally know what you mean about the new snarly looking cars. I think it's the shape of the headlights, they look like mean squinted eyes or something.

That said, we have a 2007 Subaru Outback that we love. Smooth ride, super reliable, and AWD. However, we're about to sell it and go fully carless because we just don't use it enough. (We live in a city with public transport and can walk/bike/transit to work.)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing, thanks for pointing out that Deco's car only has 89K miles on it. I missed that when I originally read the thread.

Deco, my Corolla is a 2005 and it has about 116K miles on it. I am planning on trading it in for something else at some point but I love not having car payments and my car is running great. If it's a normal wear and tear issue, I'd keep on top of getting it serviced when needed (tires rotated, oil changes, tire pressure check, etc.). Granted, every car is different and it sounds like your RAV-4 might have rust issues, while others with the same car might not have. I'd hang onto your car as long as possible and only buy something else when the service station recommends doing so or if you determine that you really need to.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1374384501|3487080 said:
LOVE our 2013 Mazda CX5! It is similar to our CX7 that it replaced and is just great! (see my notes at the end of each of your wants)
Also rated as one of the safest cars.
Hey Too Patient -
Sorry you're having back trubs also! Thanks for the scoop. DH loves Mazdas -- used to have a Miata that we out-plumped a few years back. He keeps mentioning those as well so it's good to hear its working for y'all.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1374385665|3487086 said:
How about a BMW x1?
Thought about it - but I think they ride much like the 1 series, which we recently test drove for DH's car search. I found it zippy & fun - but a bit rougher & growlier than I prefer for my own car. SUPER CUTE though. Should probably test drive one to see if the height helps with the ride cushioning at all. I kinda wanted one of these *two years from now* -- to see how they turn out reliability-wise per Consumer Reports etc. And to save some $$. If I can eek out a couple more payment-free years from my RAV-- this or the Acura RDX is probably what I'd get. Thanks!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
ViolaDiamante|1374386590|3487092 said:
I bought my Subaru Outback last winter, and I like it a lot. I was comparing it to a Rav (the 2012, so not the new model). I was never a Subaru fan before, but while I was car shopping somebody mentioned how reliable, etc they are so I started considering them. I chose the Outback over the Rav because I think the more 'wagon-y' shape is better for the cargo space in the trunk (I think longer vs taller gives more options.) But it also has more ground clearance than the Rav, which I wanted for snow and gravel roads. But the interior is what really sold me. The Outback with all the options is much nicer inside than the Rav with all the options: nicer leather, dashboard, controls, etc. The seats are really comfy too. I originally resisted the Outback because its such a family car (no kids here either), and the Forester is more SUV and less wagon, but since the Outback is bigger it won. I've had it for about a year and a half and 40,000 miles and its doing well!
Interesting! Thanks for weighing in.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1374391917|3487109 said:
I am a big Toyota fan although we own both Hondas and Toyotas.
Hey DF. Same. Before this Toyota (and the lemon Land Rover) - I had a Honda Accord ... & before that - a Civic. Our Honda dealer around here isn't the best - where the Toyota dealer is awesome. I think that's part of my positive feelings toward the RAV. And why I'm hesitant to switch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results