• Faded Damask (Gray and White) from Horchow

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Surya Essence (Grey and White) from Rugs Direct

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got a transitional charcoal gray sectional and a brushed nickel coffee table... (coffee table: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=567&categoryId=8019 )

I think I want red as my accent color in a room that is filled with shades of grey (charcoal, platinum, light grey) and white/cream.

I can't find a rug other than this one that I like with red in it: http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod40590016&parentId=cat000018&masterId=cat6120733&index=98&cmCat=cat000000cat000046cat6120733cat000018

The 5 x 7 is 400. Carved wood pile and treated with stain resistance. I like this one, but I am married to red as the accent.

And I like these two which have shades of gray and I can do red accents in the wall decor and pillows and other things:

http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod71990008&parentId=cat000018&masterId=cat6120733&index=66&cmCat=cat000000cat000046cat6120733cat000018

The 5 x 8 is $569. Wool and Viscose for Shimmer. I love that it has a lot of interest and I can change my accent color from Red to just about any color that I want if I get tired of red.

and

http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/147362/Surya/Essence/ESS7629/Gray#axzz1BRcYxRDC

The 5 x 8 is 600. Wool and Viscose for Shimmer. I'm not sure that this one isn't too saturated. Again, I can change the accent color if want.

I would wait to buy any of them until they were on sale (hopefully 25% off again). And I'm not married to any of the websites to buy from. Whoever has the lowest price and free shipping wins my money.

Which do you like?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at home decorators.com? They have a lot of rugs and you can search by color. I looked at both the red and the gray ones for you, and there are a few i think you might like, but I haven't mastered the art of copy 'n' paste on my iPad...!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll take a look Dee Jay. I looked at them for coffee tables but not for rugs! Thank you!

ETA: I found this one, which I've liked for a while now. But I wonder if I'd tire of it. And I also wonder if the cat hair showing up on it would be a pain. Two of the rugs I've posted above were also on the site.

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Corolla_Area_Rug/110/

Thanks Dee Jay.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rug that's currently in my living room came from there. If you sign up for their email list (assuming you haven't already) you should get a coupon for a decent percentage off your purchase. Some Home Depots also have a Home Decorators "store within a store" And they might even carry what you're interested in so you can see it for real before placing an order.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll sign up! Great advice, thank you! =)

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I am a sucker for red so my personal choice would be the last one you linked. I like that one best because it makes a statement but doesn't look too busy because it's monochromatic. My second choice would be the one with different shades of grey, probably again because it's interesting but monochromatic.

Hope that helps :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Echidna|1295422057|2826479 said:
Gypsy, I am a sucker for red so my personal choice would be the last one you linked. I like that one best because it makes a statement but doesn't look too busy because it's monochromatic. My second choice would be the one with different shades of grey, probably again because it's interesting but monochromatic.

It totally helps. The red rug has had me interested for a while. It's just very pricey and I get tired of my decor quite quickly. My attention span lasts about 3 years with my furnishings. I can usually get a longer life out of the foundation pieces if they are neutrals because I can change the accent items around them. But because of that I try not to spend too much for accent items, and a red rug isn't a foundation piece it's a accent item (unlike the gray ones which would be foundation as they are neutral) and that rug is really pricey for a accent item. At least for me.

Still, there's 6-8 weeks before my other items arrive and who knows what kind of sales there will be.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would keep looking. I didn't care for the red but the gray rugs would be a problem because of the lack of contrast. When you place a charcoal gray sectional on top of what appears to be a charcoal gray rug, you start losing the contrast. It may look like a big charcoal gray blob bcause of the large visual weight of the sectional. It's just my opinion but I think it would be best to go with a rug with more contrast, preferably lighter in this case.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I REALLY love the two grey rugs but it might be too much grey with the sectional you've chosen, even if you choose red pillows or other accents. As much as I love red, I don't love the last rug you linked. The red damask Horchow rug is very nice, but it doesn't sound like you love it. I'd keep looking.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1295423543|2826481 said:
Echidna|1295422057|2826479 said:

The red rug has had me interested for a while. It's just very pricey and I get tired of my decor quite quickly. My attention span lasts about 3 years with my furnishings. I can usually get a longer life out of the foundation pieces if they are neutrals because I can change the accent items around them.

Yup, I see the concern. I think Zoe is right; keep looking! Sorry I'm geographically challenged and can't point you in a useful retail direction!

Have you ordered yet? My only advice is to spend as much as you can on rugs. You get what you pay for... my husband inheirted a huge amount of fancy schmancy rugs :wacko: and those seriously last, and clean up very very well. The cheaper ones basically fall apart over time. I'm thinking if you're going to invest $600 on a rug, maybe go a but more and have something last? I dunno, I don't know much about rugs other than how they seem quality wise.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love the first gray rug, the one for $569. It's interesting enough but subtle & as you say, you can put any color with it. I always get tempted by pretty, bright-colored rugs, but it doesn't take long to get tired of them. And if you want a change, it's hard to decorate around them. Plus stains show more.

Bean is right on quality. I went too low on a hall runner & stair carpeting when we moved into this house -- it got dirty & stained really fast & even steam-cleaning hasn't made it look great again. IMO, right or wrong, no matter what the salesperson promises re materials & treatment, etc., wool is far more durable & cleanable than synthetics. More expensive too.

--- Laurie

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
While I love the last one, I think a dark grey sofa on a dark grey rug just wouldn't be enough contrast.

If you want to get something grey to keep it neutral (which I think is a good idea) I would look for something that is more than 50% white (or another light neutral) with the rest being grey - this will give you some contrast so your new sofa doesn't blend right in, but will still be neutral.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
check out OVERSTOCK.COM and Homedecorators.com I was able to get my area rug from Overstock and my hallway runners from Homederactors at such great prices. Overstock has so many rugs online.

As for the 3 you posted..I do like the first best one with the pop of red but they're all nice

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I love grey, but my lordy it's such a difficult color to work with...every single shade of grey is slighly more or less blue than another, making anything monochromatic a complete nightmare. If your sofa is really dark, that obviously helps. Regardless, I like the ida of the red damask rug because I think it would really pop under your charcoal sofa and the nickel coffee table.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
A bit off topic, but I'd be concerned about the texture with kitties in the house. My lovely bright green area rug is now in shreds because I can't seem to convince the kitties that its not a scratching post. They ignore anything super thick and go for stuff with texture (like loopy berber, or an accent pattern in a different weight wool). They don't touch any other furniture, just the accent pattern in my rug.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
The Red Flower rug from HDC is also available at Pier 1 Imports (the SO works there, I know way too much about that place) if you'd rather see it in person before you buy it.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Totally get the red rug...it's stunning.

I think the red will be that dramatic pop you're looking.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1295436887|2826517 said:
Have you ordered yet? My only advice is to spend as much as you can on rugs. You get what you pay for... my husband inheirted a huge amount of fancy schmancy rugs :wacko: and those seriously last, and clean up very very well. The cheaper ones basically fall apart over time. I'm thinking if you're going to invest $600 on a rug, maybe go a but more and have something last? I dunno, I don't know much about rugs other than how they seem quality wise.

Okay. So pier one, I have seen it there, I was wondering if the quality was the same because that one shed too much.

And keep looking for something with more contrast. I should probably mention that my rug list was like 20 'possibilites' long and many had more contrast, including one that is on overstock and a SERIOUSLY GOOD DEAL right now. But DH didn't care for them. He really only liked the three originally listed.

Bean, I actually um.... WANT it to fall apart. I have a couple of super high quality persian rugs (I'm persian) and they are in storage, with cedar, just sitting there. I got bored of them. I just get tired of stuff too easily and start to wonder if it's ready to replace after a few years. I've had my Crate and Barrel rug in the living room for 2 years and I adored it when I bought it. Now I'm just going to put it into storage and see if I can rotate it in to one of my rooms later on. Also, if I invest too much the cats get a REALLY expensive stratcher and since I've been through that with the persian rugs, I'm done with it. LOL.

Grey is a PITA with the shades. I do want to see the rugs before I buy or get it from somewhere with a good ship back policy (which is why I am wary of overstock).

As for cats. Duncan loves area rugs. Particularly anything high quality. His favorite is the silk highlights (accent patterns) in my nicest persian rug. He used to hunt out the flowers (parts done in pure silk instead of wool) and scratch and roll on them. Yeah, we get on his case as much as we can, but we aren't awake and in the house 24/7 so spending more than 600 on a rug just isn't happening. :$$): I feel your pain with the green rug.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm bringing the SO lunch right now and check to see who makes the rug and if it's the same company. I'll report back :D and with the price and size. You're right though, their rugs shed like a mofo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1295457472|2826699 said:
I'm bringing the SO lunch right now and check to see who makes the rug and if it's the same company. I'll report back :D and with the price and size. You're right though, their rugs shed like a mofo.
=) Thank you!

Yes, I am anti-shedding with my rugs. A couple days is okay. But beyond that... no way!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you need some color for contrast and that it is smart to not overspend on an accessory that can be potentially damaged by pets or one that you'd change in a couple of years. I love red with gray but did not love either of the rugs you linked, to be honest.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Gypsy :wavey:

Try Rugsusa.com and Selectrugs.com as well and google search coupon codes, I get them all the time, and I used to post all the coupon codes on another site I belonged to sorry I can't post them here for you :(sad . I also found my rug that was normally $600 and got it for $289 at Touchofclass.com on clearance just when I was about to pull the trigger on another site, so I tried one last time to search and jackpot. Other sites like the ones I mentioned were selling it for around $400.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1295458043|2826709 said:
davi_el_mejor|1295457472|2826699 said:
=) Thank you!

Yes, I am anti-shedding with my rugs. A couple days is okay. But beyond that... no way!

The 9x12 is $999

It looks like a pain in the bum to vacuum too. So many height changes. IMO it'd be best in a room that no one uses, ever. Plus all our P1 rugs still shed after a couple years of weekly vacuuming. I'd steer clear of it. I voted for #3 BTW

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I'm not in love with the red damask I posted. Given how fickle I am... I think that I should probably stick to something I love. Which means I will take the majority advice and keep looking....

The middle one might be too blue, so unless I get free return shipping or can find it locally I'm not likely to take a chance. And I do think that the last one will result in a severe lack of contrast.

Davi thanks so much for the investigative work. That's pretty much why I avoid Pier One for rugs, though I've had great luck with their wood and iron pieces and enjoy a LOT of their decor items (especially when they have a sale). They have a mosaic teal mirror right now I want for my bedroom. I like their stuff a lot. And you are a great partner to take lunch over.

DS, yeah. I'll keep looking.

DT, thanks for the advice. I'm not the greatest for finding the lowest price on some items so your tips totally helped. And you've given me two new sites to browse!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, if you find something that you like and know the maker of the rug, sometimes they don't have a style name or they differ from site to site slightly, post it and we'll help you find it for deal and I will definitely help you find some coupon codes, and some key words to search for since I can't post the coupon codes directly here... maybe its changed? :confused: Good luck with your search!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought this thread would be about cats. (Rug Pole)

Rug Pole.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.selectrugs.com/rugdetails.aspx?id=33493&name=shibuish-1208_rug.... Totally freaking in love with this one. But it's Polyester AND over a thousand bucks dang it. Even with an additional 30% off. Ouch. I could be talked into it though.

Kenny... I am the crazy cat lady aren't I?

ETA: Okay the description says silk and wool so I think the polyester is a typo. And the 4x6 (smaller than I'd want ideally, but I am willing to make the sacrifice comes to 700. But it's still really freaking pricey. And I'm not sure it's not too blue-gray. Argh.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.selectrugs.com/rugdetails.aspx?id=31617&name=sohosoh515a_rug.html The site SAYS this one is grey. Looks taupe or beige to me though. I like it though, if it's the right color. It's contemporary has texture and the price is good.

http://www.selectrugs.com/rugdetails.aspx?id=30908&name=essenceess7627_rug.html Same rug as the Horchow Faded Damask under a different name, and a slightly lower price. Pales in comparison to the beautiful one that's really freaking expensive though.

http://www.selectrugs.com/rugdetails.aspx?id=32833&name=atlantisatl-6001_rug.html Pretty. Reminds me of fish scales

http://www.selectrugs.com/rugdetails.aspx?id=32855&name=basilicabsl-7111_rug.html ties grey and beige together. Not bad at all. Super cheap. Not sure about the fibers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results