clarity

Ringling Brothers Shutting Down

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Riddance! :knockout:

We live in a better world now.
Hopefully Trump won't bring it back! :nono:
Seems like something his shitty supporters would like.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
The main reason they are shutting down is because ticket sales have fallen due to no longer doing the elephants. Just saw footage of the elephants performing on the news. It is great they no longer do the elephants but it's sad there is apparently a demand for it. So undignified and cruel.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOOD BYE!!

I think it must be hard to say the true reason their tickets sales declined. Perhaps people were disgusted by their years of animal abuse so they did not buy tickets? I wasn't aware that they stopped using elephants, but even if I was, my opinion of Ringley Brothers was tarnished, and I would not have supported them anyway.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I was so happy to hear about this!!!

The inhumane treatment of the elephants (before they got rid of the elephants recently) and goodness knows what else happened to all the other animals despite what they say.

I just hope that the animals all find safe and happy homes to live out the rest of their lives in peace. I know when they stopped having the elephants in their show that really hurt their ticket sales and I am so glad they are finished now.

I feel badly for the many people who will be out of a job but this is the right thing to do even though it was not their choice.

Now I wish we could get rid of the NYC horse carriage rides. Another awful and cruel thing and the horses deserve so much better. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1484491060|4115451 said:
Now I wish we could get rid of the NYC horse carriage rides. Another awful and cruel thing and the horses deserve so much better. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Agree! Always makes me so so sad to see. I cannot understand how it continues.

Q

Queenie60

I am so glad that this is shutting down. I was the parent who never took my children to the Circus or the Zoo. I find it to be quite upsetting that these lovely creatures are treated so badly. And I can't stand to see wild animals caged.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1484467779|4115432 said:

Seems like something his shitty supporters would like :confused:
Oh, I forgot, it's okay to be a bigot because you can use Trump as an excuse :rolleyes:
Even in a thread about the circus, someone still manages to somehow include Trump :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1484453655|4115414 said:

Yes, I agree, it does seem unexpected, but yet expected on some levels.
You'd think that they could find some way to rebrand and move on (without the use of animals), but I suppose if the money is an issue, then maybe it's time for them to close up shop.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to think that people are becoming more educated about animal welfare.
Perhaps we have evolved a tiny but in that regard.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I have always found clowns creepy.

And I prefer to see animals in their natural habitat, not performing or being forced to do things that is unnatural for them.

Never went to a circus, never took my kids there and am glad that relic from the past is gone.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
stracci2000|1484506009|4115503 said:
I'd like to think that people are becoming more educated about animal welfare.
Perhaps we have evolved a tiny but in that regard.

Evolution is a slow process, and the longer something was happening, the longer it takes to convince a majority of people that it shouldn't be happening. I think the US is coming to a place where we are more aware of what's happening behind the scenes, and I'm not just talking about this example and animal welfare. We are getting better about wanting to know where our food came from, where our clothes were made, what our carbon footprint is, etc. That doesn't mean everyone cares enough to make any changes in their behavior, but we are at least starting to ask the questions.

Sadly as doors close on circuses, dolphin shows, etc. here in the U.S., there are still many eastern countries that are just now starting to build them and are still out there capturing animals from the wild for future generations of this crap. They're behind us by many, many decades, but hopefully they too will catch up.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
sad and happy at the same time.
I loved the show as a kid but felt bad for the animals.
Haven't went to one in decades.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta mention the inconsistency though ... For my enjoyment I keep tropical fish, two dogs, and a parrot.
Yeah, I give them the best life I can, but really it's all about MEEEE.

Maybe in a few hundred years people will look back in horror that we kept pets.

I also eat animals.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1484513872|4115546 said:
Gotta mention the inconsistency though ... For my enjoyment I keep tropical fish, two dogs, and a parrot.

I also eat animals.

I don't eat animals but I do have a pet. He is a rescue. PETA, of which I am NOT a supporter, does have a policy against keeping pets, and eventually that may happen. My pets are ALWAYS rescues. I will never pay a breeder to bring a new animal into this world when nearly THREE MILLION are put down each year in shelters because they were not adopted. But pets have been a part of human culture for many many thousands of years, so along the lines of my earlier post, the longer something has been in practice, the longer it will take to change someones attitudes about it. In the sliver of time I'm on this earth, there certainly won't be an end to the unwanted pet situation, so I'll keep adopting the ones that need me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1484505252|4115497 said:
kenny|1484467779|4115432 said:

Seems like something his shitty supporters would like :confused:
Oh, I forgot, it's okay to be a bigot because you can use Trump as an excuse :rolleyes:
Even in a thread about the circus, someone still manages to somehow include Trump :lol:
b/c GOP is the party of elephant... ;))

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I am happy for the elephants but sad to see the institution entirely shut down. Circuses and similar spectacles have a very important place in American history. Read "Huckleberry Finn" to see what kind of impact they had in earlier times, when it might be the only spectacular thing many people would see in a lifetime. I love the acrobats, the trapeze artists, the music, the lights and color. Annie Oakley was a heroine of mine, and to my mind the perfect circus act: human skill and glamor personified. (Of course, the Wild West Show she was in exploited Indians, but it was great showmanship.) Saw a fascinating documentary about the circus on PBS years ago. I recommend it.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I am happy for the elephants but sad to see the institution entirely shut down. Circuses and similar spectacles have a very important place in American history. Read "Huckleberry Finn" to see what kind of impact they had in earlier times, when it might be the only spectacular thing many people would see in a lifetime. I love the acrobats, the trapeze artists, the music, the lights and color. Annie Oakley was a heroine of mine, and to my mind the perfect circus act: human skill and glamor personified. (Of course, the Wild West Show she was in exploited Indians, but it was great showmanship.) Saw a fascinating documentary about the circus on PBS years ago. I recommend it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also eat animals.

I read this post to my husband. He laughed and said our dog pretty much runs everything in our home. We are the ones that are trained and we are basically her slave. Which I have to admit is VERY true. And I have it tell you Kenny from what you post it sounds like it's pretty much the same at your house.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1484540595|4115619 said:

I also eat animals.

I read this post to my husband. He laughed and said our dog pretty much runs everything in our home. We are the ones that are trained and we are basically her slave. Which I have to admit is VERY true. And I have it tell you Kenny from what you post it sounds like it's pretty much the same at your house.

That's a great point lol. I wake up at 5:00 AM to give my cat "first breakfast" because if I don't, he pokes me in the face. Right now I have the fireplace on - not for me, but because he likes to sprawl out in front of it. Oh, and he prefers ice water - from a glass - on the table - so while he has a water dish, I make him a fresh glass of water to put on the table every morning. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1484541487|4115620 said:
Calliecake|1484540595|4115619 said:

I also eat animals.

That's a great point lol. I wake up at 5:00 AM to give my cat "first breakfast" because if I don't, he pokes me in the face. Right now I have the fireplace on - not for me, but because he likes to sprawl out in front of it. Oh, and he prefers ice water - from a glass - on the table - so while he has a water dish, I make him a fresh glass of water to put on the table every morning. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sonnyjane, Your post had me LOL. So good to hear I'm not the only one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results