shape
carat
color
clarity

Relationship help books?

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Wondering if you have any recommendations for books that either a couple can read together (i.e., mending and/or strengthening the relationship) or one person in the partnership can read by oneself (i.e., understanding one's role in a relationship OR if a relationship is right for oneself, whatever that exactly means).

Thanks.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH and I read The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by Dr. John Gottman and Nan Silver. We really liked it. I think it works best when read together, as you'll gain a lot of insights about the way your partner views things. We bought it on a lark at the used bookstore, partially because it had amusing annotations in it ("Describes him to a T, the rat bastard!") but mostly because I thought it would be interesting to read together, and I like the work the Gottmans do.

I have friends who really like the Christian book The Love Dare. I bought it but we found it wasn't our style. It has you do small things for each other every day, and I can see how it could be really powerful if used correctly.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We both liked the "5 Love Languages". We also hated it being pointed out that we're greedy people who like when people buy stuff for us and do stuff for us. :oops:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ame|1325807606|3096081 said:
We both liked the "5 Love Languages". We also hated it being pointed out that we're greedy people who like when people buy stuff for us and do stuff for us. :oops:

This is the book I was going to suggest. I have found it to be really helpful.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. It's Christian-based, but completely relatable for all walks of faith (or those without).

There are DVDs as well, and a website: http://loveandrespect.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results