shape
carat
color
clarity

Realized PAYPAL emails were fake after I shipped the diamond ring to Brooklyn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Please help!!!!!! Any advice in solving this matter is greatly appreciated!

I listed a 1.38ct cushioncut diamond solitare ring on Ebay as an auction. After 5 days of the auction had passed, I was contacted via ebay from userID greatobsessions stating she and her husband were interested in the ring. They had questions regarding shipping to Brooklyn, NY. She asked me to contact her on her gmail address bc she couldn''t receive ebay messages during the day. Her email was *******@gmail.com. I was dumb to communicate with her via email, but too new to the ebay world not to. I''ve learned my lesson now.

Vanessa sent me an mail staing she wanted the ring and was willing to pay the amount posted of $6250.00. She asked me to send her a paypal invoice in which I did. The next morning I received an email on the email account that I set up my paypal account and ebay account with. The email was from "paypal" stating they had received the amount of $6250.00 from Vanessa Isaac and funds would not be released to my paypal account until I provided them with a tracking number. I thought this was great and a good security measure to protect me and the buyer. There was a link located within the email where I was to click and enter the tracking number. I went to a Fedex store and shipped the ring overnight to Brooklyn, Ny to Vanessa Isaac, *****Street, First Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11230. Once I done this, I entered the tracking number in the link within the paypal email. A short time later, I received another email from "paypal" stating the tracking number was verified and funds would be released within one to two business days.

I continued to check my paypal account and never saw the funds posted. By this time, the package would have already been delivered. I called paypal and they informed me that this was a fraud act and the money had never been paid. I immediately called Fedex who informed me the package was delivered and signed for by S. Isaac.

I have investigated this matter to the fullest. I have also contacted local law enforcement and NY law enforcement. I''m hoping this matter will be resolved. I know will never see this ring again nor will I probably ever see the money. I am out completely. They ripped me off and they don''t care that they took away from my children during this act.

I have the name of the person that lives at the address and none of the names match Vanessa Isaac. The family claims to not know anything about this nor anything about any packages being received by Fedex. I want to harass them about this issue, but what if they really are as innocent as I am. Fedex driver says that he went to the first floor and knocked on the door and handed the package to a white male in his early 20''s.

Why are these criminals still relaxing in their home while I stress over the issue? I have also received email alerts from Mylife saying that someone by the name of Italo Tardio searched for me from Brooklyn. I don''t know anyone in New York and have never even visited the state. I reserched this name and found that someone with that name lives at ******Street, Brooklyn, NY 11230. What are the chances of this happening? Are they involved? Who really committed this crime? Why are they still free?

Ebay and Paypal say that have nothing to do with this and won''t give me any information to help solve the issue. However, if Ebay didn''t allow their system to be hacked into by other members, I would have never been in contact with this persont o begin with. Ebay states that greatobsessions account doesn''t belong to the the person that contacted me????????????????////

Please help!!!! From what I understand, other packages were deleivered to this address on the same day or day after worth great value. They are still doing this to people. How???? I would love to speak to someone else who is dealing with this same person.
29.gif

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your loss. You must be devasted. Try posting your question in the purse forum under eBay subforum. The folks there may have lots of suggestions about what to do. I have seen many people posting similar questions there, and there appears to be many helpful responses. I am clueless as to what to do. Sorry I can''t help much.

Schrute

Rough_Rock
Wow, I am very sorry that happened to you.

I''m guessing you don''t have insurance for the ring? Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? You could try to get them to cover it, but it may be difficult if you didn''t have the ring itemized on your policy.

From eBay, it may be possible to get the IP address of the person who contacted you originally through the auction. This would give you the location from where the original e-mail was sent. Although, there''s no guarantee it''s not a public place, like a library or internet cafe. eBay doesn''t exactly cough up that type of information easily, so you may need a attorney. I would talk to one either way.

The people at the address where your package was delivered are obviously involved.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I am really sorry this happened. But internet fraud is so common these days you really need to cover yourself to avoid being had.

I would say that the only thing to do is keep on the local law inforcement agencies and hopefully your case will spark some interest. But, like with most stolen property cases in high crime areas, they don''t generally get much attention.

I would avoid "harrassment"...I know it''s frusterating, and taking matters into your own hands seems reasonable...but charges can be leveled against you if you cross lines, and you don''t want that.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Get the police involved if you haven't already. What you need is a police report.

If you can argue the position that this was a premeditated theft by deception rather than a credit collection problem it may be a covered loss under your insurance. It’s an interesting question whether you were cheated out of a diamond (which may be covered) or a bunch of money (which probably is not).

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

cheradrian

Rough_Rock
Trade
This is a horrible story and I''m sorry to hear about your loss.

Have you also considered contacting Google about the Gmail account that was used? They may be able to help you out with either more information from the account (like other email contacts, etc) or if they happen to log IP addresses.

Just something else to consider. Hopefully you can get this resolved.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Please do not post private/personal information of any kind on the forums.

Thank you.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow! I''m so sorry that this happened to you, Unfortunately there is a lot of paypal ebay scam, I get emails at least once a week asking for such and such or saying my account has been compromise but in order to rectify the problem to click on their link- DOn''t do it! - and the only thing that you can do is help ebay or paypal fight this problem by reporting it to [email protected] or [email protected] then they can research further. I NEVER click on any link in an email. I always open up a new browser and go directly to the site of question then login to make sure everything is A Okay. The other issue is that when you started to communicate outside of ebay, you took this trasaction outside of ebay which is against their policy and it becomes a seller beware issue. Do you have insurance on the ring? if so, then try to make a claim on it. Otherwise only thing I can say is get the local law enforcement to help out. Did you have insurance on this item from postal office? can you try to make a claim that they delivered it to the wrong person?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry you had a problem

For future reference....neither PayPal nor ebay requires proof of shipment to release funds...these were red flags (they do require proof of delivery for if someone claims they didn''y get their item). You get the money (in your account)...then you ship (with delivery confirmation and signature if over $ 250.00)

listing a high end item...when it is not what you do all the time...leaves you ripe for scammers

Here is a link to the eBay answer center they can help you get to the right people (most likely the police, or postal inspector)...

http://pages.ebay.com/community/answercenter/index.html

There is lots of good info there

Read there before you do anymore ebaying

LadyLilac

Rough_Rock
Wow, what a heartbreaking story! I am so very sorry, and thank you for the sobering lesson. It seems highly likely that the residents of the shipping address are involved, and I am not at all surprised that they would carry out the transaction under a fake name.

This is a long (OK, very very long) shot, but perhaps one of the news/public interest/investigation shows would be interested in doing a piece on your story (as part of a bigger story on how to protect yourself from internet buying fraud). It''s possible that I have an overactive imagination, but I could see 20/20 or Oprah or something of the like being interested. You never know until you ask ''em.

Schrute

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 8:28:52 PM
Author: diane5006
I am sorry you had a problem

For future reference....neither PayPal nor ebay requires proof of shipment to release funds...these were red flags (they do require proof of delivery for if someone claims they didn'y get their item). You get the money (in your account)...then you ship (with delivery confirmation and signature if over $ 250.00)

listing a high end item...when it is not what you do all the time...leaves you ripe for scammers

Here is a link to the eBay answer center they can help you get to the right people (most likely the police, or postal inspector)...

http://pages.ebay.com/community/answercenter/index.html

There is lots of good info there

Read there before you do anymore ebaying

Actually, PayPal now won't release funds until a certain amount of time, or if they can verify the package was delivered. You can manually enter your tracking number, or if you purchase a shipping label through PayPal, they will automatically verify it.

So, these scammers are on top of their game.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
This is horrible.

Did you insure the package? Was the ring insured?

I would immediately file a police report. Then, I would contact my local TV stations that do those consumer fraud stories. They will do the investigating for you as well and check up on local police/federal law enforcement since this involved another state/wiring money/fraud. Your local media will probably also have an affiliate in NY that can do the legwork re: Brooklyn address. It''s a compelling news story.

I am also wondering if FedEx has any coverage for fraudulent shipping cases.

I wish you the best, my heart hurts for you just reading this.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have filed a report with my local law enforcement and am currently working with NY Law Enforcement. I understand that my case is one of millions and probably isn''t given much attention compared to others. I mean we have people attacking our country which stands above my situation by far.

I have considered contacting the Associated Press in hopes that if I publicize the issue, I could possibly get some help from Ebay and Paypal and maybe Fedex.

Yes, I did insure the package with Fedex for the amount of $6250.00, but Fedex says this only covers loss and damage. At this point, is the package lost or what exactly is going on?????

Unfortunately, I did not have insurance on the ring and I''m not sure if it can be convered with homeowners insurance. I''m currently living in a house that belongs to my father, so I''m not sure that my ring would be covered.

I''ve learned a great lesson about what is going on out there. These criminals need to be in prison. They are not innocent by any means and what else will they possibly do. They have my physical address!!!!!! What will they do? I pray nothing.

I will keep everyone posted. I hope this information will possibly help somone else who has been ripped off by someone at this same address.

rickdeckard

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry for you ! you were unexperienced on those type of scams and now you pay a terrible price...
i once nearly had the same problem, someone in nigeria wanted to buy my PSP on ebay, he also contacted me outside ebay and sent me a fake wester union payment confirmation by mail, luckily i have enough computer experience to check the validity of an email...

But you maybe you have something on your side : it happened in the US, soemone at that adress signed the fedex paper and accepteed the delivery, whatever the name on the paper does not match the name of the personn who lives there, the personn who live at that adress signed it ! so there should be a solution... Imagine for a second the amount of fraud that could happen if there is no solution to your problem, i explain :

i pretend to buy something from you
let it ship under a fake name to a friend''s adress, he sign the fedex paper under that fake name
when police come and ask him, he says well, it is not me !

looks a bit too simple....

your package was shipped to an existing adress, and accepted at that adress, it should be no problem for your complaint to be correctly handled, even if it will take some time...

i wish you the best, hang on !!!!

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had fake Paypal payments sent to me. Luckily I clocked on before shipping the item.

I really hope you can sort it out and get the ring back or claim on some insurance.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry this happened to you. Paypal and ebay are full of scammers. I get scam e-mails all the time from both sites. In fact, after winning an auction, I''ll even get an e-mail saying their paypal address is down and could I contact them(it''s another scam).

I''ve gotten to where if I sell anything of any value, I CALL the person to verify all the information and I do 411.com to check myself that their name, address, phone number MATCH. I refuse to ship unless everything matches the credit card they paid with. I now have to do this since I was scammed once.

I sold my laptop via ebay. The person bid and paid promptly with a cc. I shipped it out to the address provided by paypal(I even go log into my paypal account rather than ever following ANY links, I don''t click on links because they could be fake). The person had all positive feedback. It arrived, it was signed for and then the next Monday I received a notice from Paypal saying that the persons account had been hacked into and they were taking my $2,000 back. Luckily for me, I had already transferred the money into my bank account. I immediately closed my bank account so Paypal couldn''t take my money back since I did everything according to how it was supposed to go. Ebay/Paypal allowed someone to hack into their accounts, not me. Paypal sent me a letter asking for the funds but I did my research and found out that I did not have to pay them back. Paypal makes a fee for providing the service that allows people to use charge cards, it was up to them to make sure everything was verified when they provided me with the information of where to ship.

Now I''m smarter and take NO chances. I actually prefer to use Google checkout-even though ebay requires PP. Google checkout is more secure IMHO so I put on my auctions that I use my own check out system if you pay by credit card. I realized Paypal and ebay do NOT care about you and do not protect you.

I''m sorry, this got too long but I wanted to let you know this happens more times than you could imagine so don''t beat yourself up thinking about what you could have done differently. You are the victim! Start looking into mail fraud charges against the person you shipped it to. Maybe even check with Fed. ex insurance because while it was signed for, it was not signed for by Vanessa.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
This EXACT think happened to me the other day. I listed my cell phone on ebay, and the buyer won, and I got the SAME email that you got. Luckily, I forwarded the email to [email protected], and they told me it was a fraud.

I was suspicious because the subject in the email from pay pal was in all capitals, and the seller''s address had no state and zipcode listed. I was VERY wary and felt so uncomfortable about the sale, that I could not complete the sale.

I refunded the paypal payment, told ebay I was suspicious, and canceled the transaction.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know that it would be covered under his homeowner''s insurance as it was not your dad''s property, it was yours, as the loss didn''t occur within his home.. Also unless covered through a rider most insurance comapines limit the amount of coverage provided to jewelry in case of theft. Many times only $1,000 - $2,500 per one article. But each insurance policy is different.

I''m sorry that you were defrauded.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 8:06:56 AM
Author: rickdeckard
I am so sorry for you ! you were unexperienced on those type of scams and now you pay a terrible price...

i once nearly had the same problem, someone in nigeria wanted to buy my PSP on ebay, he also contacted me outside ebay and sent me a fake wester union payment confirmation by mail, luckily i have enough computer experience to check the validity of an email...

But you maybe you have something on your side : it happened in the US, soemone at that adress signed the fedex paper and accepteed the delivery, whatever the name on the paper does not match the name of the personn who lives there, the personn who live at that adress signed it ! so there should be a solution... Imagine for a second the amount of fraud that could happen if there is no solution to your problem, i explain :

i pretend to buy something from you

let it ship under a fake name to a friend''s adress, he sign the fedex paper under that fake name

when police come and ask him, he says well, it is not me !

I would persue the insurance with Fedex...they say they delivered the box..it''s their word against yours. I would have the cops investigate the ppl that live in that apartment where FEDEX said they delivered...because the scam is either with the family in that apt, the fedex guy, maybe both...ect. So sorry this happened
looks a bit too simple....

your package was shipped to an existing adress, and accepted at that adress, it should be no problem for your complaint to be correctly handled, even if it will take some time...

i wish you the best, hang on !!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
At this poing, the authorities will be your best bet. You might contact Fed Ex to see if this would qualify under loss since the actual noted recipient didn''t sign for it (vanessa).

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that sounds terrible! Keep us posted and good luck!!

princessplease... Are you saying you got the same exact email? I was curious if the same names were used and if it was the same ebay member??????????

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Don''t you have to log-in to your PayPal account using your password to do PayPal business? You shipped out your ring before you received payment? I am so sorry.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Don''t have any helpful advice that hasn''t already been given, but just wanted to say that I''m sorry you experienced this and I hope it can be resolved. Please keep us updated!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I remember Sparkalicious posting about problems with ebay/paypal and someone sending potentially fake messages in response to her sale -- that person was from the same zipcode (11230). I doubt it''s a coincidence!

Sorry to hear what happened to you...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps the services of a private investigator would be of value to you - then you could sue them in small claims court?

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
sorry posted wrong section

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 3:23:49 PM
Author: LAJennifer
Perhaps the services of a private investigator would be of value to you - then you could sue them in small claims court?

The loss is over $1500 so I don''t think SCC would apply here...

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 11:49:10 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 7/10/2009 3:23:49 PM
Author: LAJennifer

The loss is over $1500 so I don''t think SCC would apply here...
It''s better than nothing!

I really don''t know what to do anymore, bc now I''m not hearing any updates about the situation. I mean the item was delivered to the address provided. So, was it deliever or did the fedex driver leave it somewhere. I''m sorry to target anyone, but what is really going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results