shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: Harmless Homemade Bug Repellant NOT Deet Nastiness

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to pass this recipe on, because it works really well for me. It seems like it would be safe for kids, too. I kind of made it up, so let me know if it does or doesn't work for you, please. We have no-see-ums and mosquitoes around our yard all the time, and they will light on me, and fly off, but they don't bite or sting when I use this. I think it confuses them on a molecular level.

Spray bottle with 7-8 oz of non chlorine (non hard) water in it. Bottled water or RO system water if you have it. Chlorine and hard water will break down the oil and/or soap, so go bottled.

1 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable of some kind, probably not olive oil).

1/2 tablespoon Dawn dish liquid. Pretty sure it has to be Dawn, it has a very high surfactant level.

Put it all in a spray bottle and shake it constantly during use. Spray on arms, legs, etc. Not sure if I would use it on my face. The oil and soap make a slight film (which you really can't feel on your skin) that clings and makes your pores inaccessible to bugs. I sprayed it on lightly (not so much that I was greasy or anything), and sure enough, the mosquitoes can't figure me out and fly off. :bigsmile: I didn't find it irritating either.

I based this concept on the (years ago) Skin So Soft by Avon, that Floridians used as insect repellant. Everyone swore by it, until Avon changed the formula. This basically does the same thing; confuses the insects on a molecular level.

Thankfully, it also washes right off, easily, with the faucet, hose or a shower. :appl:

I wouldn't touch Deet with a ten-foot pole, because it is just so toxic. :knockout: Try this and please let me know if it works as well for you as it does for me. :wavey:

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi iLander - thanks very much for this. What kind of dawn do you use? I'll report back if I manage to get my act together and try this!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear the dogs insect spray :shifty: it works, I love it. smells good too, if you like lemongrass! Its Off Flying Insect repellent Spray for dogs. It can't be used on cats but I don't have any.

I will absolutely use deet when I have to. No qualms about doing so when I was in South America.

off-insect-spray.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, I used DEET for the final time in northern WI while staying in a lodge on a lake--we were outside nearly all the time between fishing, boating, and hiking. The place was so thick with mosquitoes that I would've been miserable without something that strong. However, it took the nail polish right off my fingers and toes. It's also carcinogenic and therefore I do not use it on a daily basis.

If I could get away with insecticidal soap as bug repellent believe me, I would opt for that.

Here's another permethrin-treated product...for babies:

http://www.babylegs.com/beetle-boogie-byebyebugs-legwarmers-prd-bl15-17470/

I went mushroom-hunting in the deep woods at my parents' house four weeks ago. Like an idiot, I neglected to wear my "bug suit" (permethrin treated pants and long sleeved shirt) and the next morning I found not one, but two ticks attached to me. The bites have taken over a month to heal. In fact they are still itchy and red. Not only is this annoying and unsightly, it's worrisome because I know how prevalent Lyme disease has become. Permethrin is the only thing that repels and actually KILLs ticks and that's a major reason I use it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
monarch: Yup, it is insecticidal soap, but I figured using it on people was sort of novel. :rodent: I also didn't want to mention that as the name, because I figured no one wanted to put something with that name on their body, even if it is only soap and oil. :) That's why I'm looking for feedback. I didn't try it today, and the no-see-ums bit me several times. I dunno, it's probably not effective in heavy infestations. :sick: I'm so glad we don't have ticks here. At least I don't think we do . . . :???: :shock:

Arcadian: What's in the dog spray? You think like I do; "Sure, let's give it a try!" :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the back of the bottle

Ingredients:
Active Ingredients
Rose Geranium oil 0.25%
Peppermint Oil 0.25%
Lemongrass Oil 0.25%
Thyme Oil 0.25%
Cinnamon Oil 0.25%

Inert Ingredients: