shape
carat
color
clarity

Pottery Barn Flatware

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have experience with this or any other Pottery Barn flatware?

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/riley-flatware/?pkey=e%7Criley%2Bflatware%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

This flatware makes a great first impression - it's stylish and has substantial weight to it. I recently purchased some 18/10 from Oneida but it didn't have great weight to it. Williams-Sonoma has another set that I liked but not as well as this style from PB.

Thoughts or comments?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always really liked the PB flatware, although I've never bought any because, quite frankly, I'm hip deep in flatware - both my own Oneida and my mom's old stuff. The modern Oneida is good quality IMO, with one black mark though: FAT tines with blunt ends. I have NO idea why so much modern flatware has this, but I've noticed it does. My mom's old stuff is Oneida too, but it has reeeeally pointy tines on the forks - you don't have to BEAT it into the food like some others. PB forks as I recall, had nicely finished and pointed tines, so that gave them points (har!) in my book.

I realize not everyone is into tine pointiness, perhaps it's some sort of weird personal issue, but it really is the first thing I look at after heft and finish.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I've don't have Pottery Barn, but I do have Pier 1 that I've had for 11 years. It's perfect.

I think the key is to get the 18/10, that's what I researched before I got mine and it really does last. I put all my cutlery in the dishwasher, no hand washing, so it's been through a lot and still looks great.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input ladies!

Ksinger, interesting point about the fork tines! The ones at PB are not as finely done as say my grandmother's old silver but they're not bad. It's a good point though - no pun intended! It is the lack of weight of some of the newer stuff that bugs me the most. I want to feel like I've got something substantial in my hand to eat with - not something that might bend if too much pressure is used. My current flatware is Oneida but not the 18/10 as iLander points out. It has scratched and water spotted and has a color to it now that is very unattractive. The metal at times almost feels sticky and yet it is crystal clean. I am hopeful that the 18/10 flatware from Pottery Barn will fare better over time. I don't want to have to make this purchase again! The only bad thing is that they don't sell individual pieces of this stuff so if you are unfortunate enough to lose a piece, you're out of luck I guess. I looked through most everything at Macy's and didn't find anything I liked better though in terms of look and weight so guess I will go ahead with this pattern.

I am waiting for the PB Friends and Family sale in a couple of weeks though - 20% off of all in store merchandise!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1348960335|3276630 said:
Thanks for your input ladies!

Ksinger, interesting point about the fork tines! The ones at PB are not as finely done as say my grandmother's old silver but they're not bad. It's a good point though - no pun intended! It is the lack of weight of some of the newer stuff that bugs me the most. I want to feel like I've got something substantial in my hand to eat with - not something that might bend if too much pressure is used. My current flatware is Oneida but not the 18/10 as iLander points out. It has scratched and water spotted and has a color to it now that is very unattractive. The metal at times almost feels sticky and yet it is crystal clean. I am hopeful that the 18/10 flatware from Pottery Barn will fare better over time. I don't want to have to make this purchase again! The only bad thing is that they don't sell individual pieces of this stuff so if you are unfortunate enough to lose a piece, you're out of luck I guess. I looked through most everything at Macy's and didn't find anything I liked better though in terms of look and weight so guess I will go ahead with this pattern.

I am waiting for the PB Friends and Family sale in a couple of weeks though - 20% off of all in store merchandise!

Well, you certainly are right on that point. I also noted that - that while PB's were the best modern stuff I'd found, still not as nice as my mom's old stuff.

Oddly enough though, my mom's old flatware is not really all that heavy. But wow, has it been made to last. Even though it's stainless, it has such a nice old patina on it now - very satiny and nice to touch, especially considering that it's probably older than ME. Her pattern, Oneidacraft Premier Stainless Shoreline (satin stainless) was made from 1957 - 1964. Oneida had another pattern also called "Shoreline" made from 1987 until whenever, that wasn't nearly as pretty, if you ask me. But then I'm biased, since her stuff reminds me of her and my childhood.

Now you've got me thinking about rebuilding the set - of which pieces have gone missing over the last 50 years, as you might imagine. I need to replace of few of those spectacular forks! ;))

Of course what I'm NOT mentioning (? lol!) is that I also inherited my husband's mother's full set (for 12) of gorgeous silverplate. Like I NEED any flatware. Yeesh. I'm going soft in the head....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been married 35 years now and this will be my third set. The first two have both been Oneida. The very first set (wedding gift) we used for many years. We then transferred it to our motor home and I got a new set for the house. I have not been nearly as pleased with this set as I was the first. I also have my mother's silverplate silverware that I use when I set a formal table. It too has a beautiful patina but of course has to be polished before you use it even though it is stored in a chest.

I've replaced our dishes and pots and pans in the last couple of years so now it's on to the silverware. None of these were completely necessary but I've researched these last purchases and bought good quality stuff that I really wanted. I truly don't intend to do this again but hey, here on PS, we learn to never say never - ha!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to the Pottery Barn Friends and Family sale I purchased eight place settings of this flatware. It is very nice - has a very nice weight to it and is so shiny! We'll see how it holds up but it is 18/10 so I hope for the best.

My husband claims he can barely finish his dinner with me waiting to scoop up the silverware to wash and dry it! I'm all about sparkly guy - just love to look at it gleaming in the drawer! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results