shape
carat
color
clarity

Potential Job at Helzberg , can you help me prepare?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Alright, well, Helzberg Diamonds may be a bit overpriced, but they carry both high and low quality diamonds along with the tools I will need to show customers what they need to know. And of course its up to them to find a store, only up to the salesman/woman to help with pricing within the store.

Anyway, I have applied for a seasonal job that will only last for 2 months. I met them yesterday and went back today to get in a little bit more face time and ask a few questions. I believe I handled myself well and the woman in charge of hiring has told me that they will def call me next month when it comes time for interviews. I will of course take a few steps as we get into next month to make sure that happens, but in the end we will see if she does call me or not. I feel confident though that I will at least get the opportunity for an interview, and so I have pretty good hopes (depending on the competition, which to be honest how great could the competition be for 2 months of seasonal employment?)of getting my first job in the diamond industry.

I handle interviews pretty well...at least since my first interview where I broke down in tears--...wow...so embarressing. LOL, good story though, for sure.

Anyway, as of now, as most of you know, I have done alot of research. But in truth I only feel really confident with D-Z Modern RB diamonds and Gold, Platinum, and Palladium alloys.

Obviously I need to study other shapes more in depth before I get to my interview, but

since I have a month to prepare for my hopeful interview, I was wondering if anyone had any good information on the Helzberg company?

For now I am wondering:

1) Do they have any special cuts or even sales gimmicks I should be familiar with?

2) Aside from diamonds What gems should I focus on studying between now and then?

3) Which gems, and/or shapes of diamonds, does Helzberg do the most business with?

4) What metals should I focus on studying, aside from the aforementioned?

5) What kind of pay or commission should I be expecting, because of my lack of credentials I focused my conversations on enthusiasm, happiness, and desire to work with them (though the first thing I did was confess my lack of formal education), so I avoided any questions on pay or commission that might have diminished the overall impression I wanted to leave with them. So now I have no idea what to expect, lol.

Any good links or ANY ideas of what gems, metals or information about the company I should be researching would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't get worked up about types of diamonds; they can teach you that stuff later. I would sell myself on being positive and a people person, that is what they are looking for during the holidays. Best wishes
12.gif
in the next few months! Also, mall jobs pay a little above min wage from what I remember, but I don't know if that store falls into the mall category or if they may be different.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure they train you on whatever is important to THEM. But ... while you''re waiting to hear, I''d familiarize yourself with jewelry TRENDS. Through fashion magazines, popular TV shows, shopping channels etc.

I''d also research different shapes & common "pros" & "cons" of each -- to help people torn between two focus in on ways to choose.

Your job will be helping people make decisions quickly and give them a "story" about why their decision is the correct/best one. I''ve learned that stories are very important to people''s sense of an experience

Typical "stories"

"It''s *almost* flawless"
"It faces up BIGGER than it''s carat weight!"
"It looks as white as a *D* stone because of its blue fluor"

Be able to "spin" almost stone by determining its most potentially palatable story!

Know your terms:

the differences in common clasps of necklaces & bracelets & the advantages of certain ones (lobster are heavier/sturdier ... ones with saftey chains are, ha, safer)

differences in common earring backs

differences in grades of gold

what the "spin" is on why treated stones are A-OK ... i.e. heat-treated sapphires etc

study the Tiffany catalog & know high-end prices so you can tell people how much "better" the deals are on comparable pieces where you are

eh, all I can think of for now ... it''s a start

Date: 9/14/2007 10:33:46 PM
Author: Skippy123
I wouldn''t get worked up about types of diamonds; they can teach you that stuff later. I would sell myself on being positive and a people person, that is what they are looking for during the holidays. Best wishes
12.gif
in the next few months! Also, mall jobs pay a little above min wage from what I remember, but I don''t know if that store falls into the mall category or if they may be different.

shoot, I hope its more than that. I cant seem to find anything online. Frankly, for right now, I would rather just work the next 4 months at costco...until I head back to the daycare anyway.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 11:50:35 PM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards

Date: 9/14/2007 10:33:46 PM
Author: Skippy123
I wouldn''t get worked up about types of diamonds; they can teach you that stuff later. I would sell myself on being positive and a people person, that is what they are looking for during the holidays. Best wishes
12.gif
in the next few months! Also, mall jobs pay a little above min wage from what I remember, but I don''t know if that store falls into the mall category or if they may be different.

shoot, I hope its more than that. I cant seem to find anything online. Frankly, for right now, I would rather just work the next 4 months at costco...until I head back to the daycare anyway.
I may not be right so hopefully someone who has worked there will chime in or someone who worked in a similar capcity.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
Good luck on your opportunity. I have a similar one. I talked with an assistant manager at Reed's, a mall store. A better mall store in that they carry Tacori and Scott Kay. I totally impressed them ("she knows how to use a loupe") (ETA: like this was a big deal, you know?!) I could tell. There is a new manager coming on this week and she's looking to staff it with her new people. I would like the job, but mall hours aren't so good for me with three young kids. Still, I think it could be fun. Working Hard, I would think you know more than enough about diamonds to sell diamonds and jewelry at Helzburg. They will train you in their way, to be sure. My problem is: I'd want to tell the customers what I think is junk, and to shop online! I went to Reeds' big jewelry show in July...and the stones they showed me were junky. This is the good stuff, "brought in from New York". I looked at a couple of ECs...ick.

Still, I think it could be fun.

jeannie

jesterjigger

Shiny_Rock
I don''t really have any input, just wanted to wish you luck!!! I love our local Helzberg, it''s not *in* a mall, but they have a nice selection and the people that work there are really nice. They replated my e-ring before the wedding, resized it before we got engaged, and are currently resizing my husband''s wedding ring. I probably won''t be getting any jewelry soon, but if I do get something it''d probably be at Helzberg.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results