shape
carat
color
clarity

Portland, ME

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
My BF and I are planning a trip to Portland, ME and Acadia National Park in October! We''re both outdoorsy people and autumn is my FAVORITE season, so we''re both really excited about Acadia! We are also considering Portland, ME as a potential city to move to, so this tip is a vacation/research. Any advice/thoughts/comments/pros/cons about the area would be wonderful to hear!! Also, anything we MUST see during this trip???

Thanks for the help!!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welll...I''m posting from Maine right now, where I am on vacation with my family. I know Acadia pretty well...in the summer. That is also when I visit the coast of Maine. I may have visited Portland in the winter, but I am no expert on it. Some of our Maine residents have to give you the lowdown about life in Portland, and I think that some people who have been to Acadia in cooler seasons had better tell you what it is like in October!

Maine is beautiful, though! Do you know it well?

Deborah
34.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never been to Maine and know nothing about it!

But I''ve gotten NO suggestions
33.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 11:34:52 AM
Author: BeachRunner

33.gif
Hi BeachRunner! Your post must have slipped under the radar, because there are quite a few people here from Maine, or who have vacationed there. Maybe ZoeBartlett, Luckystar112, or other "Maine-iacs" will see this and chime in too. Fall is a great time to go. It''s never SUPER crowded in Maine, but you''ll definitely have more places to yourself.

Portland is an awesome small city, and definitely one I would considered living in or near if I move to Maine. It''s got a great waterfront shopping area. There''s an L.L. Bean outlet. There''s a brewpub called Gritty McDuff''s. Plenty of great seafood restaurants. The jeweler where we got my e-ring is there, Cross Jewelers, and they are definitely worth visiting if you''re into looking at jewelry! South of Portland is Cape Elizabeth and the Portland Head lighthouse.

If you are flying into Portland and driving up the coast, there are a ton of cool towns to stop in. Bath, Wiscasset, Boothbay Harbor, Camden, Rockland. If you like sailing, try a day or weekend sail on a schooner (Camden/Rockland day sails). Take a trip out to Monhegan Island, a little island with vacation cottages and an artist''s colony. Belfast is another cool small city. On our honeymoon we stayed in Searsport at the Carriage House Inn, and loved it. The Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport is a nice snapshot of Maine history.

And, I could go on! I think you''ll just have a great time driving the coast and discovering all the small towns and islands.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''d definitely visit the old port...as it has a ton of shopping and is a very nice place to walk around on a fall day.
30.gif

Actually, here is a wikipedia article so you can read up on some different neighborhoods (although it appears that not all have had a wiki done on them).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Maine

I know that there are definite areas of Portland to avoid, but I can''t really help you with the name of the neighborhoods because it''s been so long that I''ve just totally forgotten.
7.gif
But I can promise you that you''ll be able to tell.
9.gif

You are going to LOVE Portland. It is gorgeous, culturally diverse, with a ton of interesting things to see and do!
I grew up about 30 minutes south, so my mom wasn''t too fond of me driving up there as a teen...but I used to spend a lot of time in the art district....which is also a cool place to see.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 11:57:06 AM
Author: Selkie
Date: 8/28/2008 11:34:52 AM

Author: BeachRunner

33.gif

Hi BeachRunner! Your post must have slipped under the radar, because there are quite a few people here from Maine, or who have vacationed there. Maybe ZoeBartlett, Luckystar112, or other ''Maine-iacs'' will see this and chime in too. Fall is a great time to go. It''s never SUPER crowded in Maine, but you''ll definitely have more places to yourself.

Portland is an awesome small city, and definitely one I would considered living in or near if I move to Maine. It''s got a great waterfront shopping area. There''s an L.L. Bean outlet. There''s a brewpub called Gritty McDuff''s. Plenty of great seafood restaurants. The jeweler where we got my e-ring is there, Cross Jewelers, and they are definitely worth visiting if you''re into looking at jewelry! South of Portland is Cape Elizabeth and the Portland Head lighthouse.

If you are flying into Portland and driving up the coast, there are a ton of cool towns to stop in. Bath, Wiscasset, Boothbay Harbor, Camden, Rockland. If you like sailing, try a day or weekend sail on a schooner (Camden/Rockland day sails). Take a trip out to Monhegan Island, a little island with vacation cottages and an artist''s colony. Belfast is another cool small city. On our honeymoon we stayed in Searsport at the Carriage House Inn, and loved it. The Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport is a nice snapshot of Maine history.

And, I could go on! I think you''ll just have a great time driving the coast and discovering all the small towns and islands.

I knew there were PS''ers who lived in Maine from reading other posts. This one must have slipped under the rug. Great suggestions so far. I know our hotel is right in downtown Portland, so we will definitely check out the Old Port and drive along the coast. We are also driving to Acadia after our stop in Portland. I can''t wait as the ocean and fall are two of my favorites!!
9.gif
9.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Beachrunner, I am so jealous.
You''re going to have such a great time...especially since most of the tourists have left by that point so you''ll have the area all to yourselves.
9.gif

And find a place to go APPLE PICKING!!!!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of people are away from home (and from Internet fora) in August. If we can keep this thread around until after Labor Day more Maine residents may see it! MariaD as well as ZoeBartlett lives (or lived) in Maine, I believe. And I am sure that there are other posters from Maine as well! Plus there are probably many other New Englanders here who know Maine well enough to contribute something!

Deborah
34.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
We''re also looking for good restaurant recommendations while in Portland as my BF is a chef and we both LOVE a good meal!
30.gif

Thanks!!
1.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
*bump for my thread*

I know Hurricane Kyle recently hit the coast of Maine. Are the leaves still on the trees??

My BF and I leave Oct. 7 for this trip, and I can''t wait! We both LOVE autumn, and have been waiting for this trip for a long time. Any recommendations on activities, sites, restaurants??? Well be in Portland then Bar Harbor!

Maybe I''ll even come home with a new addition to the left ring finger!?
31.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Not only are the leaves still on the trees, but because the whole northeast coast has had so much rain, the colors are even more vivid than usual!
2.gif

You''re going to have a great time! Portland is beautiful and Acadia National Park is absolutely stunning this time of year. We are big mountain climbers, so we are usually up in Baxter State Park (where Mt. Katahdin is) during the summer and winter, but Acadia has gorgeous views. Enjoy your trip!!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
BeachRunner, I grew up in Portland and my parents still live there, so I can help a bit.

Portland has grown quite a bit and has much to offer if you''re looking to move. One of the crown jewels of the city is Back Bay/Baxter Boulevard area. 3.5-ish mile walking/bike trail around the bay; that''s what I miss the most.

Portland is very family friendly and a good place for raising children. Deering and Portland High School are the public schools; there are also a few parochial and private schools as well. It''s also home to University of New England''s Westbrook College campus and University of Southern Maine. It has several hospitals including Maine Medical Center, which is in the top 10 cardiac hospitals in the entire country.

Good areas of the city to live include Deering, Woodford''s Corner, Brighton Avenue, Back Cove, USM area, and Northgate. More gritty areas include the Kennedy Park area, Munjoy Hill, and East End.

The Old Port area boasts some nightlife, but it''s relatively tame. There''s a nice museum downtown, as well at the Cumberland County Civic Center (concert/event venue).

It''s only about 20 minutes from the Scarborough/Old Orchard Beach area, and about 45 minutes from Sebago Lake. Decent downhill skiing can be had within 90 or so minutes north of the city; freshwater lake fishing and ocean fishing abound.

Given your screenname, I''d definitely include a plan to visit Old Orchard Beach - the stretch from there to Pine Point represents about a 2-mile-plus stretch of beach to enjoy, and it''s especially nice now (off-season) when the tourists aren''t in command.

Neighboring towns include Falmouth and Falmouth Foreside (the ritzy area), Yarmouth (home to the annual clam festival), South Portland, and Cape Elizabeth. In Cape E is the most photographed lighthouse in the world, Portland Head Light and Fort Williams Park. Two Lights State Park is just beyond that. These would be especially pretty destinations in the fall.

Acadia region is approximately 3 hour-plus drive from Portland up the coast, so it really requires at least an overnight stay.

If you can mention what you''re interested in, I might be able to help more.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 10:55:10 PM
Author: Allison D.
BeachRunner, I grew up in Portland and my parents still live there, so I can help a bit.

Portland has grown quite a bit and has much to offer if you''re looking to move. One of the crown jewels of the city is Back Bay/Baxter Boulevard area. 3.5-ish mile walking/bike trail around the bay; that''s what I miss the most.

Portland is very family friendly and a good place for raising children. Deering and Portland High School are the public schools; there are also a few parochial and private schools as well. It''s also home to University of New England''s Westbrook College campus and University of Southern Maine. It has several hospitals including Maine Medical Center, which is in the top 10 cardiac hospitals in the entire country.

Good areas of the city to live include Deering, Woodford''s Corner, Brighton Avenue, Back Cove, USM area, and Northgate. More gritty areas include the Kennedy Park area, Munjoy Hill, and East End.

The Old Port area boasts some nightlife, but it''s relatively tame. There''s a nice museum downtown, as well at the Cumberland County Civic Center (concert/event venue).

It''s only about 20 minutes from the Scarborough/Old Orchard Beach area, and about 45 minutes from Sebago Lake. Decent downhill skiing can be had within 90 or so minutes north of the city; freshwater lake fishing and ocean fishing abound.

Given your screenname, I''d definitely include a plan to visit Old Orchard Beach - the stretch from there to Pine Point represents about a 2-mile-plus stretch of beach to enjoy, and it''s especially nice now (off-season) when the tourists aren''t in command.

Neighboring towns include Falmouth and Falmouth Foreside (the ritzy area), Yarmouth (home to the annual clam festival), South Portland, and Cape Elizabeth. In Cape E is the most photographed lighthouse in the world, Portland Head Light and Fort Williams Park. Two Lights State Park is just beyond that. These would be especially pretty destinations in the fall.

Acadia region is approximately 3 hour-plus drive from Portland up the coast, so it really requires at least an overnight stay.

If you can mention what you''re interested in, I might be able to help more.

Wow! Great information. We are interested in moving to Portland, as it is on our list. Someone mentioned apple picking, and that sounds like a ton of fun, not to mention how gorgeous it would be this time of year. I know we are interested in the beaches, scenic driving, good restaurants, and good photography spots (as you mentioned all of the lighthouses). We are staying at the Eastland Park Hotel on High St and then rented a cottage in the Bar Harbor area. We''ll probably trek all around Acadia on foot and rent bikes one day. We are active outdoorsy people, but aren''t too into fishing.

Also, a good local fresh seafood restaurant recommendation would be appreciated, as I am looking forward to the fresh fish!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results