shape
carat
color
clarity

Orcas Island, WA?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone visited Orcas Island?

My niece may be getting married there in Sept. (might be in Chicago instead, she will know soon either way)...she is planning a small, intimate wedding regardless of the locale.

Anyway...

My husband and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary this year and I had a mini-vacation planned already...but now, we may reconsider and go to Orcas Island instead, as a niece's wedding/anniversary/combo trip.

I am trying to find info. online (vs. asking my niece, she has her hands full right now, looking at all their wedding options, etc.) and thought I'd ask here first. So I guess my general questions are... What is it like there? And is this a good place for an anniversary trip?

From the pics I have seen - it is amazingly beautiful.

This trip would cost about the same as my original plan for just a long weekend at a high end resort... Now I just can't seem to justify dropping all that $$ for a long weekend, when we could go to Orcas Island and stay a week AND be able to see my niece get married. I highly doubt there will be any other aunts/uncles going, as it is pretty far from Michigan, where we all live.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

If you go to Yelp.com and type orcas island, wa in the search, there are pages of reviews about activities and food.

I've never been to Orcas, however lived on another island for years and also have visited others here and in BC. Most are low-key and geared toward people who want to hike, sight see, eat in cafes and browse bookstores. A couple towns still have old movie theaters w/just one screen! We always go kayaking when we go to a new island. If you get a great guide, you'll be told about the history of the region. Then after you can go out for a yummy lunch & a beer!

Keep an eye on the ferry schedual when traveling. Some ferries are on a half hour route and others only travel a few times a day and are expensive!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Wow small world! Yes I've been. I lived in the San Juans (on Anacortes) from 2007-2009. I also worked on a whale watching boat up there so I was out and about through the islands every day (best job ever...miss it!). Orcas is really pretty. I prefer San Juan Island, as there's more options for restaurants and hotels. It's just a short ferry ride from Orcas if you decided to stay there instead. Explore this link to see all the hotels and restaurants on all the major islands: http://www.visitsanjuans.com/

Let me know if you come up with some more specific questions. Since I lived on Anacortes (the only one of the San Juans that is connected to the mainland by a road), I don't have a whole lot of ferry experience, but I have used them several times to go to San Juan for the weekend.

As MC mentioned, definitely go kayaking. That was one of my favorite things to do up there. I had bald eagles and harbor seals in my backyard, and if you can, do a whale-watching tour. September is toward the end of the peak orca season, but most of the outfitters still offer tours. Will seriously change your life if ;-) My company (Island Adventures) was based out of Anacortes and had a guarantee that if you didn't see whales on your trip, you can come back free for life until you do. I think some of the outfitters that leave from San Juan might have something similar if those are more convenient for you if you'd be staying there.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Orcas Island is quite nice, very low-key. It's a great nature getaway, not quite as fun if you're into a lot of nightlife or shopping. There is good kayaking, good hiking, etc. We stayed in the cabins at at the Deer Harbor Resort which are nice but it's not a luxury resort by any stretch of the imagination. One thing you could do is stay on Orcas for the wedding, then go to San Juan Island and celebrate your anniversary there. Friday Harbor House is supposed to be very nice, well-known for its food, and as luxurious as the San Juans get. It's right in the little town of Friday Harbor so you can walk to restaurants and shops. Check their website to get a feel for the resort (small and very Northwest) and the rates to see if it's your kind of place.

The ferries to the San Juans can be tricky in the summer because there is such high demand and long lines. September should be better, especially if you're not trying to travel on a Friday afternoon or weekend. If you don't need a car on the islands, the absolutely spectacular, jaw dropping, trip of a lifetime experience is to take a seaplane from Kenmore Air on Lake Union in Seattle right up to the islands. If it's a nice day, it's an experience you will remember forever.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
YAY! Thanks for the replies!

I will check out the links and info. - once the wedding location is chosen, we'll have talk it over and decide what we're going to do. It will come down to hubby's vacation time, if we take a longer vacation during the summer, we will have less time in Sept. to stay after Niece's wedding...which is why I had planned the long weekend for us in the first place.

I'm pretty sure we'd stay on Orcas and not see the other islands, both due to time and 'family' - as we'll all be staying together. My niece and her future hubby are actually going to be living on the Island for a couple of years - and it would be neat to see the sights and learn about the place.

Thanks again for all the info! I am really excited at the possibilities! I enjoy hiking, kayaking - not so much :mrgreen: - but I think we'd really love it there.

I'll post updates as our plans firm up!!! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results