shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh my, I was given an Ering Watch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Alright, well, apparantly here in Japan the custom is for her family to give me a gift in return for my giving my fiance an Engagement ring. Its usually something practical like a buisness suit or something that he could use.

I want to start out by saying that I dont have any pictures yet, I will get those soon so stay tuned and let me know what you think. And for the time being if you dont want to read my whoel story of what happened you can move to the bottom of this post and follow the link to see the watch I was given.

Anyway, One night while we were having dinner and he brought it up. I wanted to tell him "you dont have any obligation to do that. I stay at your house, eat your food, use your air conditioner and everything else. So if you want to, then I understand and I would cherish any gift you give me, but you dont need to feel any obligation to do that."

All I knew for sure though was that there was no way I was just going to say Yes, please by me a watch without knowing more details about the knid of money he was going to spend, and My Japanese being what it is , I just ended saying,

"no no no, you dont have to do that" over and over. So he said it about three times, I told him to wait for my fiance to get off work and just kept saying no no no because I didnt really know how to communicate those ideas to him.

Suddenly he appeared to get really irritated, stood up, got one of his sports watches (a G-sport shock I dont know much about at this point but I take it that it was pretty nice in its original condition, its quite worn now though and I understand he wanted to buy himself a new one anyway) and put it on me and left the dinner table.

Anyway, I felt pretty bad at that point, but I wore it everyday. But I also spoke about it with my fiance. I told her what happened and communicated my ideas and told her that I didnt want her to just go telling him to do it, but to let him know that I do need to have a nice watch when I am doing internships and teaching at school, and so I would appreciate it if that is somethign he wanted to do.

Anyway, nothing happened about it. then this morning my fiance told me that her dad was going to take me to buy a watch, but she was going to pay for it, so it wasnt going to be really expensive. At this point I was imagining something along the lines of 50 bucks (my nicest watch ever cost about 50 bucks on sale for 30 from JC Pennies) so I was thinking I would keep my eyes out for a 30 dollar option and if I found one for sixty or, knowing he likes nice things, even 100 dollars, then I would just keep my mouth shut this time.

Anyway, we drive to her a mall near her grandmothers house, go to the top floor and they are having a watch fair. 20% off for 2 days and hundreds of watches that wont be there anymore after 2 days. So we walk up to the first counter, and what do I see....65,000 Yen (lets just call it 650 bucks and ignore exchange rates). So at that point I just stared at them. He perused for a minute and went on. So I relaxed, I figured he was going to go to a cheaper watch counter, but I had a bad feeling it wasnt going to be 50 bucks. So he got to the next one, I went over, and what did I see ....126,000 yen, and he had the woman pull it out from the counter and had me try it on. lol, I just stared in an absolutely dumb state, I had no idea what to do.

So this time I brought out the electronic dictionary and communicated to him what I wanted to at first, about not being obligated but of course I would cherish it (not saying obviously more so if it is BY FAR the most expensive thing I have ever worn that belonged to me). Anyway, he told me he wanted to get me a nice present, thankfully it isnt coming from my fiance, she was very shocked as well, and we tried on a bunch. Anyway, in order to decide I pretended like I was deciding which one I liked the most and tried on two at a time, then asked them for there opinion, and in a round about way I ended up with the two that were obviously there first candidates and had them select between those, and chose the one that he liked the most. Which I think was a good selection, very mature buisness look I think.

Anyway, this is the watch he got me, for a WHOPPING and to me (I know for some its just pennies) breathtaking approx $900 ON SALE, it is a Citizens EcoDrive Exceed Radio Controlled watch in titatnium, so its quite light, and wont cause my sensitive alergic skin to have any problems :) (unfortunately the radio control will only work in Japan, but thats fine with me, just an extra perk for when I am traveling). Not at all the 50-100 dollar watch I was expecting:

This is it on the website

Like I said, I dont have any actual pictures yet, but I am off to take those as we speak. If I dont get back to you tonight, Ill get some handshots tommorow. Let me know what you think! but I own my first actual official piece of jewelery, no it is not an accessory as the purpose of it was to enhance my overall appearance while at work and internships, and if anyone finds out its a womans watch, well, keep quite about it
2.gif
(though they do make a womans watch that looks just like it, only it is significantly smaller and appears much more delicate.

Oh and two quick questions, if you know anything about radio controlled watches, even after two reconnects my watch seems to be exactly one second ahead of the time listed on the website, which was somewhat surprising for me? Maybe just a tower connection issue causing for 1 second...what, not delays since mine is AHEAD of it?? maybe an internet dealy...hum?

And the second question, I was trying to practice the manual time adjust. It says I have to pull the crown out to a second position. But I swear it only comes out to one postion. I am, however, terified to pull it very hard, any idea if it takes a good bit of force to pop new watches into the second crown position, or should I take it to a citizens shop and have them show me, just in case? I sure dont want to go breaking it...which I have a bad history of doing with things...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful gift! That is a good looking classic watch. I assume you've read the operating manual. I would take it to someone who sells Citizen watches to help you figure it out rather than risk damaging it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a sweet family! Congrats on your beautiful watch
41.gif

well I didnt want to because I was a bit embarressed, but I went ahead and asked her dad, who just pulled it out with one tug. hahaha, apparantly I was just way too chicken, but now it is really easy to do, so I do think it was somewhat more difficult on that first tug for some reason.

Anyway, there doesnt seem to be too much demand, but I am going to link this thread to my family to tell them about it, so here go some pictures!

IMG_0247.JPG

close up of the interior squigly reflective design thingy

IMG_0256dd.JPG

Thanks ellen, thing, and sundial, (and monarch also, though you havent said anythign in this thread you have been very positive and encouraging even when others have, well, had other thoughts
25.gif
but I everytime I thought about saying something I decided I didnt want to keep bumping the threads anymore
14.gif
)

the last one of this watch with the clasp, and I will tell you what, I love the titanium, this guy is lighter than my fiances watch, which is significantly smaller. I really appreciate the light weight.

IMG_0258dd.JPG

And now for my Gshock that I am still working on a plan to decide if he really wants it back and is just being polite since he gave it to me, or if he is actually using this as an excuse to get himself a new nicer sports watch, now that he has taken up bike riding (which I and everyone else believe to be his true motive for giving me his sports watch
6.gif
though he would never admit it of course)

IMG_0267dd.JPG

last one, whew! they are a nice family thats for sure! I am still in shock that I have a watch as expensive as this...though to be honest alot of the expense is in the radio control time which, as of now at least, doesnt function in america. Nontheless, its pretty exciting stuff for me at least
9.gif
Maybe this will help assuage those LV wallet urges I have had recently (which I have decided, he is probably the root of
2.gif
a bad influence on a broke man like myself)

IMG_0266.JPG

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I love the watch! That''s so nice of your FI to give you this present. I laughed at your story...thanks for sharing!

ulualoha

Shiny_Rock
Hi WHFSR,

Gosh have you ever been a survivor adapting to cultural differences. I admire you so much! I went to school in Hawaii and the Japanese culture is a very beautiful and very complex culture. I studied Japanese for a year and grew to love the traditions, culture and language although I have never been to Japan. Many of my roommates in college were from Japan though. It was not uncommon to receive gifts from my roommates for the smallest thing. There is tremendous pride and history to their traditions...I am sure this is a huge adjustment for you. I think you did a great job handling the situation with your future father in law. The watch is lovely. It is obvious he really cares about you and the relationship you share with his daughter. Congrats to you both by the way!

Hugs,
ulualoha

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love citizen watches - eco drive is such a great idea! Well done on a very unexpected present! I wish someone would buy me a new watch!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice watch!!! It looks great on you. And very thoughtful of your FFIL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a thoughtful present and custom. I think the watch looks very nice. Congrats!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I really like the Eco-Drive. I would consult with FI regarding what to do about the Gshock.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a sweet tradition! Congratulations, it''s a nice looking timepiece and will never need a battery. Wear it in good health!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
That''s a very nice looking watch, dude, and my jaw would''ve been on the floor the whole time too in your position!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY nice watch WH4!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
WHFSR...I love the Citizen eco-drives!

I have something weird in me that kills watch batteries within weeks of my putting them on, and the Citizen eco-drives are the ONLY watches that keep on tickin''!

I have 2 myself, my parents have a few each, and I bought my FI one last month as an engagement gift...his is titanium, also, and he loves it! (Which surprised me as he hasn''t worn a watch in years!)

I think it is a fantastic custom of your new FIL''s, and you are one lucky guy! Congratulations!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, that''s a great watch! It''s also a very cool custom that the guy gets an engagement present too! Do you find the watch comfortable to wear? It really suits your skin tone.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like a very handsome watch, and I like that custom a lot! (as long as no one is made to feel on the spot or anything!)

Date: 9/3/2007 12:55:17 AM
Author: wolftress
Oh wow, that's a great watch! It's also a very cool custom that the guy gets an engagement present too! Do you find the watch comfortable to wear? It really suits your skin tone.

I am glad you said that about the skin tone, thats one of the things I liked about it the most. I am pretty pale...believe it or not that arm you are seeing is the darkest part of my body, and I felt that the titanium and gold and white really matched my skin tone pretty well as well...and alot of metals dont, thats for sure. I tried on my brothers tungsten carbide wedding band, it looked horrible on me! Way too dark for me!

but thanks everyone for the comments, though I wont list you all by name;-) I think its a pretty awesome custom too, though at first it was really hard for me to jump on the band wagon as it made me feel a little bit bad--but that has passed now
25.gif

...Now I just need to start emailing citizens and requesting they build time towers in USA so I really really take advantage of the whole gift
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have an Eco-drive and think they are great watches! Yours is a classic style that you can wear as long as it "keeps on ticking"! I also think it is a nice custom. You need to ask your fiance to communicate with her father when you can''t get your thoughts across. She needs to ask him if he wants the other watch back!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results