shape
carat
color
clarity

Not your style but love it anyway?

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
You know when you don't like a certain style, but then see an example of it that just blows you away?

Let's post examples of something that we absolutely love, which is totally not our normal style. (Might serve to broaden our minds :loopy: )

I'll go first, and maybe last too, if the idea doesn't take off. But what a way to start and finish. This at Lang Antiques
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-1935

Be still my beating heart......

1209862964_30-1-1935.jpg

5986.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
They might! Jewelry Pieces is a slow moving forum.

That's a beautiful ring!

What is your normal style?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Anything mokume gane. Totally not my usual style but I just adore it! I can't name specific vendors, but there's one mokume designer whose work I adore (starts with a "K"). I may get a simple mokume band one day, to stack with my antique antique/style pieces, to scratch my mokume itch :cheeky:

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
I usually don't like heart shaped jewels, but I tried this ring on my right hand and I fell in love with it...it's a huge heart (19x17 mm) ring, silver and swarovski crystals...I didn't buy it because I noticed that the stones were glued on the setting, none the less when I think about how it looked on my finger I still have palpitations...lucky me, I'm too penny-pincher to waste money on a badly-made fake ring.

heart ring.jpg

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
Imdanny - hi :wavey:
Yes, I realised it might be better in hangout but don't know how to move it. I'll see if I can contact the mods.

I'm a Meyer girl through and through and usually really prefer simplicity - simplicity with a twist. But this just really spoke to me. Seems interesting to think of exceptions to our norms....

Purplesilk - that's a perfect example. Another cool example could be if someone doesn't like animal jewellery and yet has seen something they find beautiful. Actually, I think I'm thinking of my own dislike there :wink2: And good for you for working through the temptation!

Ericad, interesting, is it not your usual style because you don't things looking like something they're not - metal looking like wood. or that you don't like multi coloured metal work? Tell us more.....I like some mokume gane - although I don't usually like multi-coloured metal unless its really, really subtle.Shall I be an enabler and say the magic words Chris Ploof :Up_to_something:

More, more...

Shall we try and move the game to hangout?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I normally don't wear yellow gold, and I'm the type that likes very subtle pieces that are not "statement" pieces.....but when I saw Coatimundi's set I was in :love:

That is a BIG BEAUTIFUL STATEMENT!

CMOEC.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got to see Coati's ring in person once. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
It is fantastic, and one of the very best diamond memories I have.

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
Jaysonsmom - I agreeee!! Its one of my all time favourites. I like yellow gold very much, but I'm not crazy about rounds and i love love this one. In fact I saved a pic of Coati's ring, but it was small so I'm grateful that you posted a bigger one :)

Kenny, I'm jealous, and also hoping you are doing well :wavey:

By the way, to get this clear, naturally when we say we don't like something we mean just that in our personal opinion, for ourselves. Not casting nasturtiums or nutting' :) So I just mean I don't like rounds on meeeeeeee, might well love 'em on you......

Now, more pixxxx

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1327688982|3113206 said:
I normally don't wear yellow gold, and I'm the type that likes very subtle pieces that are not "statement" pieces.....but when I saw Coatimundi's set I was in :love:

Coati's ring/rock is one of my absolute favourites, it's nothing I would have ever thought of myself but it's utter perfection, I LOOOOVE it! :love: :love: :love: :love:

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
There are all sorts of rings on PS that I think I wouldn't be interested I n if someone described it to me, but the are so many beautiful ones that are "not my style" that I absolutely love. There are lots of yellow gold rings I've seen that I adore, though in general I write yellow gold off. Also, I tend to not like pears, marquise, or oval diamonds, but some of my favorite rings that I've seen on here have them.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally lean more towards antique/traditional styles, but I recently came across a semi-bezel setting and realized I really love the look of it!

images.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a ton of pieces that I adore but that I don't think would suit me or my lifestyle. I get a particular joy at looking at those pieces because it's a window into a different world, lifestyle, personality.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, here are mine and since I haven't figured out to attach with my IPad I'll post links.

First of all I inherited a Princess Diana ring when my mil passed away several years ago. And let me tell you the ring was commissioned by a top of the line jeweler and IMHO is soooo way better than the original. But I hate copy cat things, plus I'm a twin so I can't have anything that anyone else has...lol....twins will understand this... so I have never even worn it--what a shame. :nono: someone posted this ring the other day and it made me realize how ridiculous it is not to wear such a beautiful ring. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140574377151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_4557wt_922

Then, would never wear this ring or would I? It's so over the top 1980's-- but secretly I am drawn to it-- I have no clue why, but part of me wants to buy this ring as just a fun piece to wear :naughty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GORGEOUS-Huge-DIAMOND-Cocktail-Ring-1-50ct-Solitaire-5-50-ct-TOTAL-/290662650795?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item43acd813ab#ht_3677wt_689

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1327688982|3113206 said:

:love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tiffany-style solitaires. (And, for that matter, most "classic" jewelry: I tend to prefer my stuff to straddle the thin like between opulent and ostentatious.) However, after seeing Bliss's recent Vatche reset? SWOON. Present the style at a high enough level of quality, and I fall hard.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Laughinggravy0 said:
Purplesilk - that's a perfect example. Another cool example could be if someone doesn't like animal jewellery and yet has seen something they find beautiful. Actually, I think I'm thinking of my own dislike there :wink2: And good for you for working through the temptation!

Well, I didn't buy it just because I found silly wasting 100 USD on a glued swarovski crystals ring but I'm still thinking about asking my local jeweller to copy the it (diamonds and WG)...what do you think? Am I crazy wanting a teenager style ring?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
purplesilk|1328117538|3116492 said:
Laughinggravy0 said:

Well, I didn't buy it just because I found silly wasting 100 USD on a glued swarovski crystals ring but I'm still thinking about asking my local jeweller to copy the it (diamonds and WG)...what do you think? Am I crazy wanting a teenager style ring?

Nope , wear it proudly :)

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the bad grammar( to copy THE it)...I wasn't able to delete my previous post.

Amys Bling said:

I'm asking myself if it's worth spending more than 2K on a ring that is not my style...why do I love it?I don't know, but what I know is that it was love at first sight.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
purplesilk|1328118578|3116513 said:
Sorry for the bad grammar( to copy THE it)...I wasn't able to delete my previous post.

Amys Bling said:

I'm asking myself if it's worth spending more than 2K on a ring that is not my style...why do I love it?I don't know, but what I know is that it was love at first sight.

Hmm 2K is a lot...

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling said:
Hmm 2K is a lot...

Yes, it is a lot...that's why I'm still pondering over it...what I don't understand is why I love that ring...I hope the crush will pass...

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
What I think is interesting is how we assume we have our own style 'taped' and we know ourselves oh-so-well and then, something comes along and makes us think again. The first ring I open this thread with ticked all my negative boxes. But it is gorgeous, I think.

I think our sense of aesthetics says a lot about who we are or we think we are. Sorry if I'm digging to deep, but its intriguing.

I'm still waiting to see animal stuff - go on convince me! For me personally, I don't like animal motrifs in jewellery, but I do like some plant motifs. Go figure :rolleyes:

Gypsy, interesting point about enjoying it on someone else. I love seeing people happy, whatever I think about the piece, but I very much determine if I like something or not based on if I'd wear it too.

Mydiamondsparkles, I understand completely. Good luck with the sale. I started this post before checking the link to the over-the-top piece, now I'm curious????

Maisie, would you not wear the sapphire halo because it is too big and flashy but you like it anyway? Maybe big and flashy is the right way to go?

Do our tastes change and we don't notice, somehow?

I really think its interesting to see what we do love despite ourselves, as it were.....

Keep 'em coming, with pics :wavy:

Ed to add: Bwwwha ha ha ha Mydiamondsparkles - yes, over the top. Its like there's these little parts of us that are trying to get out and express themselves. Go and get yourself a good, fat, CZ cocktail ring and see if it satisfies the little inner voice :tongue:

Junebug, I forgot to say, ha! We are opposite ring twins in taste - swop your clean, modern lines for my complex, antique example. Your posting my taste there.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laughinggravy0|1328129277|3116665 said:
Maisie, would you not wear the sapphire halo because it is too big and flashy but you like it anyway? Maybe big and flashy is the right way to go?

It is too big for me to wear. I don't really dress up very often and I see that ring as very dressy. It would be a waste of money for me to buy something that I wouldn't use often enough. But I still love it :bigsmile:

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious said:
Purplesilk, there are some premade versions online--maybe premade will save you some $?

......still pondering!
Thanks for the links: I appreciate your help! :D

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Geesh, this iPad and I don't get along at all! Sorry about my previous and now edited post. I was saying that I am nit a bidder on the over the top ring, but I noticed 7 others are-- maybe more now. Maybe they are taking the ring apart and using the diamonds in a mor traditional setting-- solitaire and band? Who knows!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results