shape
carat
color
clarity

Norway killer gets 21 years

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Hmmph. I mean, in my opinion, there is NO sentence that would be enough to compensate for his actions, but 21 years certainly doesn't even seem close.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading that article it sounds like people in the country are fine with the sentence.

Countries vary.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It just doesn't seem fair justice for those 77 lives he took. And wished he'd taken more! 21 years almost seems like a slap on the wrist. :nono:

lulu

Ideal_Rock
It's not the time that worries me. He'll kill more people when he gets out.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
The news story I heard on the radio presented an interesting scenario. It stated his sentence was the max possible, with parole possible in 10 years. But without any real explanation, it also stated that at the end of the sentence, if 'they' (the elusive powers who be) weren't satisfied that he was a non-threat, he would not be released into society.

So they give him another sentence? Or send him to a psychiatric ward?

I also feel it is a light sentence, but if the locals accept it, 'tis not the business of the rest of the world.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He won't necessarily be released in 21 years - this is from the article:

However, his demeanor, testimony and declaration that he would have liked to kill more people helped convince the judges that, however lenient the sentence seems, Mr. Breivik is unlikely ever to be released from prison. He could be kept there indefinitely by judges adding a succession of five-year extensions to his sentence.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Excellent clarification, junebug. So in reality he's received a life sentence, barring miraculous mental rehabilitation.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, from what I've read, he won't be likely to leave prison. He received the maximum primary sentence, and after 21 years, this will be be reviewed every five years.

Because he was not held to be insane (in a legal sense, rather than acting rationally, obviously) he isn't eligible for treatment and release either. This was something that people were worried about, that he could be treated in secure psychiatric accommodation and released, rather than imprisoned.

The sentence is the one that many of the victims families had hoped for.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I must have missed that detail ( :???: ) but I'm glad the sentence can be renewed. It seems highly unlikely this killer will EVER have remorse or a successful rehabilitation. 21 years with 5 extra years tagged on repeatedly? I'm good with that.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I should have read more carefully. Feeling better now.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
That's it? Seems like he should have gotten more...

ETA: just read the extension stuff. At least he most likely will never be a free man again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results