shape
carat
color
clarity

Need support...my cat is very ill...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My oldest cat, Woody, is almost 19 years old. He's been a healthy boy for most of his life. He was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and has gone from 17 lbs to 13 lbs, over the last month. This morning, he refused food and water. I found him in a place he usually doesn't go. When he left that spot, he just stood there and didn't move for about five minutes. I was on the floor with him and checked him for any pain or anything else unusual. He moved about three times, each time just standing there, for an extended period of time. He finally made it to our dog's crate--his favorite spot. He refused food and water again and just stayed there. His breathing was labored. I called the vet and brought him in. The vet said that he didn't look good, but, because it came on so quickly, it could be an acute illness. He was running a high fever. After waiting all day for test results, we got a call saying that it could be pancreatitis or a kidney problem. They were running more tests. We should know something more in the morning.

When I took him to the vet, I couldn't fit his crate in my car. I wrapped him up in the crate pad and settled him in the front seat next to me. I held him in my arms, while waiting for the vet to see us. This is something Woody would never put up with, if he were well. I am so sad for my boy. He used to be a robust Maine Coon Cat...I called him my "cat of the woods." I'm so hoping he pulls through this.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
(((hugs))) I am so sorry to hear about woody''s illness. It is always hard to have a sick pet. Keep us updated and smother him with kisses/cuddles.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Awe, my heart goes out to you and your cat of the woods.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am very sorry.

I am sure he feels your comfort most at a time like this. (Please give him a snuggle from me)

Sending Woody my best healing thoughts and hugs for you both.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I adore Maine Coones. I bet he is a looker!! They have so much personality in there actions...and expressions. If you have any pictures and you want to, please share them with us. I would love to have a face to go with his name.

You know RS, He is one tough boy to keep you for 19 years!! I guess he knows you have needed some watching over! You must have been a mess needing a cat for 19 years!!
2.gif
What a blessing! Many don't have friends for that long...but you have had a wonderful purring family member.

I am praying for your strength and as for Woody...I pray for his will to keep fighting. He knows he has your love...don't you doubt that for one minute.

We're here supporting you.

DKS

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I so hope Woody makes it...I also have a Maine Coon girl and I love her to bits. Loads of PS fairy dust is coming you and your kitty''s way.

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear about your kitty. Sending out a prayer that he feels better STAT!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
RisingSun... I am so sorry to hear about Woody! I will hope and pray for his strong recovery!

~*~Hug*~~''~,~

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry about your cat. I hope that he turns out ok, but it sounds like you''ve been a wonderful mommy to him and like he''s had a wonderful life so far

{{{Hugs}}}

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your support. Here's a picture of my boy. This was taken not too long ago.

Attachments

• DSC00304%20Woody%201.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 231

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Risingsun, what a handsome kitty you have! I''m so sorry to hear he''s having health issues, I do hope he makes it through this and you have more time with him. 19 years already--that is a lot more than nine lives he has going on there!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous kitty. I pray he will be ok, what a dear one he is. Gosh I have a dog that is getting on in years. He's been such a huge part of my life and can't imagine a day without him. I pray you have many more days with your sweet Woody. Hugs!!!!
12.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh honey I''m so sorry. It''s so hard when you loved ones are sick, four legs or two. And you feel helpless. ((HUGS)) honey and PS fairy dust you way for a swift recovery.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
*hugs* My thoughts are with you and Woody. I know how tough it is to have a sick kitty. Here''s hoping it''s nothing too serious and that he has a speedy recovery.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, Risingsun, I''m so sorry to hear about your baby Woody''s sudden illness. I have several cats myself, and I know how horribly difficult it is when they become ill.

Here''s some hope: I have to 16 year old girls who were both diagnosed with illnesses in the last two years. Bootsie was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism nearly two years ago, she lost a significant amount of weight, and she wouldn''t eat but she was drinking a serious amount of water. She also became senile and started using my laundry baskets as her litter box. Well, the vet put her on Methimazole, which our pharmacist makes as a gel that we rub in her ears (she will not take pills) and she has gotten much better over the last two years. I was afraid it was the end when we first took her in, but she is actually doing extremely well, and even though it''s not always the easiest thing to get ahold of her to smear the meds in her ear, I believe it has kept her healthy all this time. I bring her in to the vet every few months for a blood test so they can check her kidneys and thyroid levels, and all is well.

My other little girl, Mazi, was diagnosed with kidney failure about a year and a half ago. Again, I was devastated and thought we''d be saying goodbye soon. Well--we did a ton of research into which foods are good for kitties with kidney problems, and we switched her diet, and we''ve been giving her fluids every three days now since her diagnosis. She is also doing extremely well, and actually she acts like a much younger cat than she really is. I''ll admit--it was hard to stick a needle in my baby''s back to give her the fluid at first, but I believe this treatment is keeping her healthy, too.

SO, the moral is don''t despair yet--there are a lot of treatments out there for our geriatric furbabies. I do feel for you, though, we lost our little man Sebastian two years ago this December. He was doing really well and then all of a sudden he started acting strange and we took him in and found out he had several disease states in his body. It''s the most horrible thing about adopting pets, and I''m actually typing here with tears streaming down my face right now just thinking about my little guy. BUT, the memories are worth every second of the pain, they really are.

Oh, I do hope you can find some good treatment options for Woody. People often ask us if we''re crazy because it is a bit of an expense, and a large commitment to keep our little ladies healthy, but it''s worth every single stitch of effort.

I''m sending boatloads of PS fairy dust your way, Risingsun. Loads and loads of it to you and your handsome little guy.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Oh what a sweetheart! I''m so sorry, risingsun. *bigs hugs*

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Hugs, risingsun. I do hope Woody gets better. What a beautiful boy he is too!
30.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
You have all been such a comfort to me. When we last spoke with the vet, Woody was on IV fluids and antibiotics. He was awake and alert. He was still refusing food and not moving around in the crate. I was afraid he wouldn''t last through the day, so I''m trying to be hopeful.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh, I hope Woody will be OK. I have four of my own furbabies and love them to pieces. You are so lucky that he is 19 though. I haven''t been that fortunate to have one so old. As someone else said, it''s so hard when they are sick. I hope you''ll get some good news. He''s really cute by the way.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry (huge hug) Risingsun

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending out my strongest prayers to you and Woody
emrose.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Hugs and prayers to you and your baby.

shay

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Jim spoke with the vet this morning. Woody seems a bit better, although he's still not eating. They have to send the tests to Virginia Tech for interpretation and we won't have the results until Monday. They will continue to treat him with IV fluids and antibiotics. We won't even be dealing with the hyperthyoidism, until we get past this--whatever it is. Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. I'm about to leave for work and I don't know how I can be there, when my heart is with my Woodcat.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that Woody appears to be awake and alert. One step at a time. I''m keeping my fingers crossed that the tests come back fine and that Woody pulls through. I know how hard it is when our beloved pet is in ICU while we are far away. My kitty was in ICU 3 hours away from home for a week until she recovered. No underlying cause was found but I''m just glad she was able to fully recover. I''m hoping yours will be a happy outcome too.

togal

Shiny_Rock
My prayers go out to you and your dear cat. Stay strong....I know it''s very difficult.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Marian what a stunningly handsome boy you have there. I hope your old boy comes through this okay...big hugs for you guys, and head bonks from my girls.
emcat.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Now the vet is recommending that Woody be evaluated for radioactive iodine treatment for his thyroid disease. We were told that it cures the problem and doesn''t have any side effects. It''s not a surgical procedure. I looked at the patient information and discovered that the cat will emit low levels of radiation for 80 days, post procedure. You aren''t supposed to get within three feet of your cat and have to use gloves to empty the litter. We have two other furkids. We would have to keep Woody in isolation, to keep the rest of the kids safe. I thought we had some answers and hope. Now, I just feel angry. Surgery is not an option, due to his age. Medications could damage his liver. We still don''t know what''s causing his current illness. I''m very frustrated tonight.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Risingsun,

A friend of mine had a cat who had the radioactibe iodine treatment. This was several years ago so I don''t remember all the details. I do remember that her cat did quite well and she also had another cat at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results