shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice ASAP - shipping irreplaceable family heirloom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akguy

Rough_Rock
This isn't a diamond related question, but I saw some good advice re: use of registered mail via USPS for shipping valuables on this website and I thought I'd ask for advice.

Here's my dilema. I am in Michigan, visiting my dad in a nursing home. I live in Alaska. He has given me two swords (a Civil War sword that belonged to my GG Grandfather) and a WWI officer sword that belonged to my Grandpa. They are both engraved with their names on them. The Civil War sword engraving states that the sword was made for him on orders of a famous Civil War general to honor his bravery in a certain battle, it lists the battles he fought in, etc.

I'd like to get these up to my home where I can store them in a safe, since at this point they are in my Dad's house that is unoccupied 24/7, has old 1950s wiring (he has some lights dangling by wires), etc. So status quo is not great ... makes me nervous.

So I was thinking about shipping, but these are irreplaceable items. An antique dealer told me today he could only give a general, non-written appraisal, since he isn't a civil war expert ... I'd need to go to an expert to get an appraisal that would hold up. After consulting with a friend who is more knowledgeable, he thought the older sword might be worth at least $15K. The newer WWI sword is worth about $2K. But to me they are priceless.

I can't hand carry on an airplane (these are weapons, after all) and I don't trust the baggage handlers, obviously.

These items have been in my family for generations, and the only other option I can see would be to rent a car, drive them out to my in-laws in Oregon, and store there until I can drive down via Canada and pick them up myself.

Suggestions? Do I bite the bullet, take more time off work, spend another thousand or so on the car rental, and do the big multi-day drive? Can anyone think of an alternative?

The antique dealer said if it was him, he would opt for hand delivery only, given the personal and historical significance.

I realize Registered mail works fine most of the time, the item has to be signed for at each step, etc. .. but it seems there are exceptions and losses/damage can occur.

I also looked into Navis Pack and Ship ... supposedly they handle shipping for art auctions, etc and specialize in valuable and/or difficult to ship items. But I don't know much about their security enroute. So I'm not really leaning in that direction.

The reason I'm posting on this forum is that many of you are used to shipping valuable items (and perhaps some that cannot ever be replaced). My apologies if this type of post is outside the Forum groundrules.

Thanks!

akguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei,

I''ll call Brinks to see if what they can offer. Looking on their website, I don''t see an Alaska office, so that might be a hurdle. But worth checking out, so thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2009 5:53:12 AM
Author: akguy
Thanks Lorelei,

I''ll call Brinks to see if what they can offer. Looking on their website, I don''t see an Alaska office, so that might be a hurdle. But worth checking out, so thank you.
Most welcome, if you give them a call they might be able to accomodate you, well worth a try!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hi Akguy

I inherited my Grandfather''s ceremonial sword. He was an officer in WWI. I wanted to bring it home to Canada from the UK. I took it to the airport and at first they refused to let it on the plane. Then some ingenious person with Air Canada took me to the "shrink wrap guy" (don''t know what else to call him). They shrink-wrapped in in cellophane until all trace of it''s shape had completely disappeared and you had no idea what it was. This was not done to disguise what it was so much but to render it virtually impossible to do any damage with it. I had miles of the damn stuff to unwrap!

I was still not allowed to hand carry it. It did have to go in the hold, but it was hand loaded on and off the plane.

I guess it depends on the airline.

Good luck

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
If it were me I'd do the drive. If they mean that much to you then the risk of shipping is too great. And . . . my parents have had lesser stuff stolen from their checked luggage than your swords so if you use the airlines there must be some concern.

That being said, DH always travels with his pistols and there is a big to do every time he checks his bags. Being weapons, they require special handling and are marked separately. Since your swords are weapons, I wonder if you could get them to qualify for special treatment? I think the handlers are more reluctant to swipe something well marked by the airline as a weapon, etc. than they are to swipe a laptop or camera or something.

If you do go the shipping route, you might want to consider shipping them separately so that the likelihood that they both get lost is reduced.

Hope this helps.

ETA I found this link which might be useful. You might want to call around to various airlines to see how you can get special handling for the items.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''d drive it, if it is possible. A civil war sword could very well be a valuable item, nevermind the obvious sentimental value. Registered would probably be OK, but you couldn''t insure it properly without an appraisal or receipt or something to prove the value if it was lost. I''d be a nervous wreck knowing it wouldn''t be insured properly. (I mean, you *could* purchase insurance, but they don''t cough up the $ without some proof of why it was insured for that amt. Every claim I''ve had to make has only been paid after a receipt proving the value was produced.)

akguy

Rough_Rock
Everyone,

Thank you for the responses. I called Brinks today and was referred to the NY office that handles air courier service. I was told they only handle cash, diamonds, etc. Nothing fragile or needing "white glove" delivery like antiques. So unfortunately that isn''t an option.

I called and emailed an appraiser today, but she hasn''t responded yet. I will need valid appraisal if I ship USPS, and even then I wonder if they would pay up if something goes wrong?

I also checked today to see if I could even take it across the Canadian border, and then again across the US border to Alaska. Was told it would be OK if I do this by both US and Canadian Customs, as long as I have good documentation, register them with US Customs before I go, etc.

Not sure I can swing the drive, given work schedule (I''ll already be gone 2 weeks, and seeing my Dad is my highest priority). My flight out is Saturday morning, so now I''m sweating getting an appraisal. Again, thanks for your advice and ideas.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably bite the bullet and do the drive, unfortunately.

akguy

Rough_Rock
I thought I would post an update to my original post, in case someone finds this thread in the future.

I ended up shipping via UPSP. I just couldn''t take the time off, let alone the thousands of dollars it would cost to rent a car and drive it cross country or to Alaska.

So I ended up packing up the swords and taking the risk.

The package eventually arrived (after almost 3 weeks!). I was really stressed out, particularly during the last week, as I knew it was taking way longer than typical. I figured it was lost and that I was a horrible person for entrusting the Post Office with those family heirlooms.

I was calling the originating Post Office daily, as the package had to be tracked from that end. A contact in that office was very helpful and reassuring, but he was hitting a brick wall tracking down the package. One of the subsequent offices wouldn''t answer his phone calls.

It seemed very odd that they didn''t scan in the package at various stages along the way. That would have given me some assurance. But the Registered Mail only goes by the signature log (hardcopy). So to track a package, one has to call each office in turn, to track it down.

I hope this info is helpful. Thanks for your previous suggestions.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif
So happy they got to you! I''m sure you lost a lot of sleep in those 3 weeks!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
For an appraisal i would contact the weapons experts that are on the Antique Road show...go to the pbs website and check out the many experts who deal in this exact area.good luck with transport and identification!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2009 3:56:53 AM
Author: akguy
I thought I would post an update to my original post, in case someone finds this thread in the future.

I ended up shipping via UPSP. I just couldn''t take the time off, let alone the thousands of dollars it would cost to rent a car and drive it cross country or to Alaska.

So I ended up packing up the swords and taking the risk.

The package eventually arrived (after almost 3 weeks!). I was really stressed out, particularly during the last week, as I knew it was taking way longer than typical. I figured it was lost and that I was a horrible person for entrusting the Post Office with those family heirlooms.

I was calling the originating Post Office daily, as the package had to be tracked from that end. A contact in that office was very helpful and reassuring, but he was hitting a brick wall tracking down the package. One of the subsequent offices wouldn''t answer his phone calls.

It seemed very odd that they didn''t scan in the package at various stages along the way. That would have given me some assurance. But the Registered Mail only goes by the signature log (hardcopy). So to track a package, one has to call each office in turn, to track it down.

I hope this info is helpful. Thanks for your previous suggestions.

I just saw your post. I know it isn''t much help now but if you ever need to ship something like this in future:

B and I had to ship airplane log books. All original logs going back to when the airplane was new (1950s). Can''t be replaced. Ever. For some tens of thousands of dollars it could be partially reconstructed.

We went to FedEx. In person. Talked to the manager of the distribution center (one of the big hubs all stuff goes through -- not a pick up spot). Explained the importance. Insure it for as much as they''ll allow.

Ask for "priority overnight" and require signature (or hold at distribution center).

It was not cheap (about $200 or so), but it got there at 8:30 the next morning and was signed for by the person we shipped it to. The manager I talked to had been watching the tracking info and called me to let me know the minute it was delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results