shape
carat
color
clarity

My house is creeping me out...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I'm reaching out now because I am truly at a loss as to what I should about an ongoing situation in my home that's really creeping me out...My husband isn't being what I would call helpful (skeptical is a good word for him) and I hesitate speaking openly about this with RL people in fear they'll think I'm crazy...

I'll start with the most recent experience that happened early this morning..

My husband and I were in our bedroom hanging out, sitting on our bed, our oldest Chihuahua was on the bed sleeping. All of a sudden he sat up, ears back, shaking and peed on the bed. I'm not kidding. Right on the comforter. Now, before I go any further, I should mention my oldest rarely (and I can't even remember the last time precluding today, obviously) has accidents in the house--he's very good about going to the door and ringing his bells. He had also just been outside, did both, not even 30 minutes prior.

My husband gets up and grabs the dog...just as he is doing so, something crashes to the floor and shatters in our master bath. I rush in, and scattered all around are the remains of my q-tip holder which had been sitting on a ladder shelf. The jar itself has been in the exact same spot for nearly 3 years without incident. I haven't touched it in days. The unit is perfectly level. Yet, there it lays, shattered.

As a matter of fact, no one had been in the bathroom that day at all...

So, here's where I get to what's bothering me...

A few months ago I brought an antique appliance into my home to turn it into a retro wine fridge...immediately weird things started happening. I eventually sold the appliance because I was scared that I'd angered something or someone (yes, I do believe ghosts are real) with my intent for the piece. But, that didn't stop weird things from happening.

In my kitchen I have those whisper-close drawers. They close themselves, true, but they need a little bit of force to do--a nudge. If they are left open,beyond the point of the automatic pull closed, they will stay open. A few weeks ago, I opened the knife drawer, grabbed what I need and didn't close it. I then walked to the other side of the kitchen (I was in there alone) and turned around just in time to see the drawer get literally pushed closed. That doesn't happen of it's own free will, believe me I tested it over and over to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

Another instance is that sometimes, always right around 3am, our bedroom TV will turn on and there will be a loud, high pitched screeching sound. This will happen for 3 nights in a row, stop for a while and then pick back up.

I think, and here is the crazy part, there is something in my house. Okay, okay...get your laughs out...but I'm serious.

This past summer, when things started happening, I reached out to a local ghost hunter (insert laughter) and asked for his help. He wanted me to wait it out and see if anything more started happening. Things were quite for a while, so I had nothing to report. But now they're happening again, and it appears to be escalating in violence--from simply knocking things down and playing pranks to breaking things and disrupting our home. I want to contact the ghost hunter again, have him come over and "feel" the place out for me...but I'm worried for two reasons. 1. People will assume I've lost my mind. 2. It will get worse and then I'm left dealing with that.

Should I take the leap and make the call...or should I just ignore it and hope it eventually gets bored?

Does anyone have similar stories. My husband, who sees and hears this all happening, shrugs his shoulders...but I need him on my side with this, I don't want to stay here and I need him to realize that something isn't right.

Thanks, all!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will you feel better after you have the ghost hunter to your home?
If so, call him!

I don't know what I would do because I've never been in such a situation. But I do know that I wouldn't worry about what other people would think, as long as my actions would make *me* feel better in my home in the end.

Besides, who has to know you called the ghost hunter, anyway?

I don't doubt you. I can't deal with paranormal stuff, freaks me out too much.

I wanted to say good luck though, it sounds like you have your hands full of creepy stuff :cry:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would make the call. Perhaps not tell anyone, until you find out what is going on?? I do believe in ghosts, but from what I have heard. They are lost souls who need to be told to move on to the after life.. That they don't harm you, that's not their intent. But are kinda lost and haven't crossed over?? Or have I watched too much of Sylvia Brown on the Montel show?? LOL!!!!

I think the appliance you bought, that's a coincidence, I don't think that the ghost came with it...

How long have you lived in this house. What do you know about it's history??

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would make the call, and I dont think you are crazy at all, I lived in a house where stuff like this happened, I was glad to move :errrr:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Do you have any religious beliefs? I'd probably ask a sympathetic minister / priest / rabbi / other faith leader as appropriate for their blessing on your home before I'd risk letting anyone meddling with it (unless you know and trust the ghost hunter).

Whether it's real or not is a moot point at this stage, since it's distressing to you. Do whatever you need to do to feel safe in your home and don't pay any attention to anyone who scorns or laughs.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Italia, I'm not laughing at all, and I absolutely don't think you're crazy. I think you have a ghostie, and I don't blame you at all for being freaked out.

And I agree with Lisa . . . I don't think the appliance is the problem. I remember you mentioning it before, and I remember you saying you got rid of it. If the appliance did bring something with it, I would think that something would have left when the appliance did.

Personally, if it were me, I'd call the ghost hunter and/or a religious person (pastor, rabbi, whatever). What do you have to lose?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1293826227|2811092 said:
I would make the call. Perhaps not tell anyone, until you find out what is going on?? I do believe in ghosts, but from what I have heard. They are lost souls who need to be told to move on to the after life.. That they don't harm you, that's not their intent. But are kinda lost and haven't crossed over?? Or have I watched too much of Sylvia Brown on the Montel show?? LOL!!!!

I think the appliance you bought, that's a coincidence, I don't think that the ghost came with it...

How long have you lived in this house. What do you know about it's history??

I've lived in this house for 5 years...but my husband has lived here for 8. We've never, ever had a problem before.

The reason the appliance feels like the source for me is because it was an old fridge from the mid 1920's. It was this awesome, silver soft metal icebox that I was going to convert to a wine cellar. The first vibe I got was when all my stemware (which were hanging about 7/8 feet off the ground) was scattered, unbroken, across my kitchen. This was just a day after I started the conversion of the icebox to a wine cellar.

I found the connection ironic and did more research. Appliances, like the one I had, were often treasured by the people who owned them...and I felt that whomever owned the piece during prohibition may have been upset by my intent to change it to a wine cellar--perhaps the alcohol connection was upsetting. The lady who ended up buying it loved it very much, and insisted on taking it that day...we loaded it in her SUV and off she drove. She called me a few hours later to tell me that on her way home, while driving on the highway, two of her tires exploded.

I could, of course, be wrong. I don't know anything about this sort of stuff. But things I absolutely cannot explain have happened, like glasses falling and not breaking. It mystifies me.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I would call.
Have you ever read Do Dead People Watch You In the Shower? by Concetta Bartoldi?
It explains a lot of this stuff. I recommend reading it.

BTW the answer to the title is Yes. (but it's not as creepy as it sounds)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1293826823|2811100 said:
Do you have any religious beliefs? I'd probably ask a sympathetic minister / priest / rabbi / other faith leader as appropriate for their blessing on your home before I'd risk letting anyone meddling with it (unless you know and trust the ghost hunter).

Whether it's real or not is a moot point at this stage, since it's distressing to you. Do whatever you need to do to feel safe in your home and don't pay any attention to anyone who scorns or laughs.

I'm spiritual, but not religious. I guess I could call a church and just inquire about what they do in this sort of thing. The ghost hunter only came to mind because I felt like if I talked to him, he'd believe me and take it seriously. I think the world of ghosts and the supernatural have people drawing a hard line--you either believe or don't, and to have someone on the other end of that e-mail or phone call who doesn't believe would make me feel awful. Because it's happening in my home, I know it's real--it's not a question of belief...and I just need someone to be like "I get it, I understand".

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I also wanted to send out a mass thank you. Seriously. I feels really affirming to talk rather than convince. So, again, thank you all.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I would make the call. Because you need to know.

Having lived with - - something - - myself, in the past, I do believe that these things happen. I'm merely at a loss to explain them.

Definitely have a house blessing as well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Italia,

I totally believe you.

I don't think it's a ghost per se, as I don't believe in ghosts/spirits of dead people. (though I used to) This link explains what I think is bothering you.

http://www.gotquestions.org/ghosts-hauntings.html

As for what to do, if it were me, I'd contact a Christian church and explain what's going on. If they can't specifically help you, hopefully they know who can. And I would start praying. I will be praying for you also.

Please don't waste your time and money on a "ghosthunter".

And please keep us updated.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Ellen|1293828566|2811129 said:
Hi Italia,

I totally believe you.

I don't think it's a ghost per se, as I don't believe in ghosts/spirits of dead people. (though I used to) This link explains what I think is bothering you.

http://www.gotquestions.org/ghosts-hauntings.html

As for what to do, if it were me, I'd contact a Christian church and explain what's going on. If they can't specifically help you, hopefully they know who can. And I would start praying. I will be praying for you also.

Please don't waste your time and money on a "ghosthunter".

And please keep us updated.

Thank you, Ellen, for the link--it was thought provoking and a different way of looking at the same thing. I appreciate it very, very much. I am going to reach out to a church and see what they say or suggest.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I didn't read all the responses, so if someone alreadyposted this, I apologize.

Italian girl, I think you live around me, in Illinois. We had an earthquake in nearby Indiania that reached the Chicago area, and tumbled some peoples stuff off shelves.

A dog can sense rumblings and get frightened. I don't know your time frame but it was on the news yesterday.
I think ghosts are unlikely. Earthqake 3.8 on the Richter scale.

thanks,
Annette

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I believe you, too. I have not had anything like what's going on in your house happen to me, but I do have friends who have seen "people" who they later realized were not really there.

I don't see the difference between "demons" and "ghosts," and I don't think it much matters what label you put on the phenomena -- you know that something is not right in your house and that's all that matters. If you are not a religious person, I'm not sure that a church would be able to help you. Many ghost-finders and psychics are scam artists. I do believe there are some reputable institutes or scholars -- for lack of a better word -- that study paranormal behavior. I would do a Google search and see if there's something like that in your area.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1293830466|2811168 said:
Hi All,

I didn't read all the responses, so if someone alreadyposted this, I apologize.

Italian girl, I think you live around me, in Illinois. We had an earthquake in nearby Indiania that reached the Chicago area, and tumbled some peoples stuff off shelves.

A dog can sense rumblings and get frightened. I don't know your time frame but it was on the news yesterday.
I think ghosts are unlikely. Earthqake 3.8 on the Richter scale.

thanks,
Annette

Super interesting, and I was hopeful...but this happened this morning...thank you, though

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Lula|1293830599|2811169 said:
I believe you, too. I have not had anything like what's going on in your house happen to me, but I do have friends who have seen "people" who they later realized were not really there.

I don't see the difference between "demons" and "ghosts," and I don't think it much matters what label you put on the phenomena -- you know that something is not right in your house and that's all that matters. If you are not a religious person, I'm not sure that a church would be able to help you. Many ghost-finders and psychics are scam artists. I do believe there are some reputable institutes or scholars -- for lack of a better word -- that study paranormal behavior. I would do a Google search and see if there's something like that in your area.

Thank you, I'm going to google my local universities. I'm open to anything. Thank you again!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Here's the best place to find help: http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com On the left of the page, I think, is the link to their member societies. You can't do better than Jay & Grant & their pals. Any group they take on has to meet their standards so you can pretty well count on them to be honest, helpful & knowledgeable. If there's a logical explanation for your events, they'll tell you. If they find evidence of paranormal stuff, they'll help you with it.

Sounds like you do have some wild & woolly stuff going on. Sometimes people do feel a connection with objects & come along with them, but it could be something (or somebody?) else too.

It seems like this entity, if that's what you have, is mainly trying to communicate, get your attention. Why not try having a talk with whoever it is? Sometimes that works. DH doesn't even have to be there, so his opinion won't bother you. Try telling her or him that it's your house & you want to live in it peacefully. You need to be forceful. Tell it to leave, it's not welcome, if that's how you feel; or if you don't mind co-existing w/it, tell it you don't want it bothering you or scaring the animals or breaking your stuff.

Let us know how you work this out!!

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I don't think you have a ghost.

I believe in ghosts, but I don't feel that you have one. I have felt them before; once I was in an antique store, and the 150 year old chair in the corner still had it's owner in it. Older guy, very tan, white hair, stern guy, etc. Didn't bother me, I didn't bother him, but I didn't buy the chair. His presence was so obvious, I couldn't figure out why no one else saw it. So, yes, I believe in them, but you don't have one.

You have an unlevel house. Take a ball bearing or marble, put it in the middle of a smooth floor and see if it doesn't roll with the tiniest nudge. Now put the marble on the ladder shelf. The shelf may be level relative to the bathroom, but if the bathroom is not level, how would you know? Now try it in the kitchen.

The earthquake may have been a couple of days ago, but the ground is still shifting and will continue to do so for quite some time, sometimes years. Your house will settle because of the earth's movement.

if the house is wood frame, the cold will make the framing contract as well.

And the icebox was mostly made of lead and zinc, which is very heavy, and the ladie's tires were pretty old.

The dog freaked because he realized he had to go and he wasn't going to make it. if he sensed danger, he would have growled and barked, which you didn't report.

if it makes you feel better to get a blessing, then go right ahead and I applaud you for it. :appl: It's not necessary, though. But it can't hurt either. I don't think you're crazy, BTW.

If you'd like, you can burn some sage, and make sure the smoke goes out the windows. This is supposed to take spirits with it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Even if you not religious, I can bet what a priest would suggest beyond having him come by to "cleanse" or bless the house. Go to your health food store and buy ochoa. (Pronounced osha.) Put some over each door and window.

It will cost you maybe three dollars and it works if a ghost/spirit/demon whatever, is what you have. I'm kind of with iLander, though.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I TOTALLY believe that we aren't alone in this world and I would DEF. get someone to come in...do a cleansing or something. That would freak me out. I would be out the door if I heard "GET OUT " :errrr:

Pets can see and sense things we can't...so by your dog responding that way...I'd think something's up

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1293833684|2811204 said:
Here's the best place to find help: http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com On the left of the page, I think, is the link to their member societies. You can't do better than Jay & Grant & their pals. Any group they take on has to meet their standards so you can pretty well count on them to be honest, helpful & knowledgeable. If there's a logical explanation for your events, they'll tell you. If they find evidence of paranormal stuff, they'll help you with it.

Sounds like you do have some wild & woolly stuff going on. Sometimes people do feel a connection with objects & come along with them, but it could be something (or somebody?) else too.

It seems like this entity, if that's what you have, is mainly trying to communicate, get your attention. Why not try having a talk with whoever it is? Sometimes that works. DH doesn't even have to be there, so his opinion won't bother you. Try telling her or him that it's your house & you want to live in it peacefully. You need to be forceful. Tell it to leave, it's not welcome, if that's how you feel; or if you don't mind co-existing w/it, tell it you don't want it bothering you or scaring the animals or breaking your stuff.

Let us know how you work this out!!

--- Laurie

Yes, call TAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every time a Roter Rooter van passes me on the road I look to see if it's Grant or Jason. They're from my area...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I am not laughing at you! I believe in ghosts (have had a lot of experiences in my life).... I would call someone and try to get the house "cleansed" or "blessed". See if it helps.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i do not feel you have a ghost. if you are christian, why not google chalking the door. it is done as an epiphany celebration in some christian homes. i can see nothing but good coming from it, if you are a believer. if not, try to put this out of your mind. unfortunately, we can not explain all things that happen.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think when people believe they have ghosts, they' start seeing "unexplained things." I agree that it was probably related to an earthquake in the area or the house was settling. You could go and check to see if there was some earthquake activity around that time.

While I don't believe in the ghost thing, I do believe in good or bad energy. You could do a smudging ceremony with some sage to release any bad energy. Some other diy ideas that have been suggested on here are great as well.

I wouldn't contact a paranormal company. There something about that business that screams scam to me. Maybe it's those ghost shows on tv that give them a bad name.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Ooh i have had a very similar experience to you in a house that I lived in 10 years ago. I was advised to talk to the spirit and acknowledge its presence as well as light a white candle for protection.

After i started talking to the spirit (or whatever it was) the strange things stopped happening.

I would call the ghost hunter and in the mean time light a white candle to protect yourselves.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Italia - I'd make the call. I respect all of the ideas everyone is offering and there is the chance that they are related, but I have experienced ghosts, and my animals have reacted to presences. Our minds want to find any logical answer, and honestly that is a good thing, because many times there is a logical answer. But there are times when there is no logical answer. There is no logical answer to lights moving across my ceiling. There is no logical answer STILL to my scarecrow doll. There is no logical answer to my aunt's dog looking at something across the house when she is deaf. A ghost hunter, or mediator might be able to offer some insight. Many times they can find deeper logical explanations than we would even begin to think of! They might also tell you how to get rid of a presence/ghost/spirit/what have you. I'm a firm believer. I'm Christian, but I believe there are souls in limbo, or souls who come back to finish business, or those who just don't pass on right away. I've seen and felt far too many things not to.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Italia, I'm sorry your house is making you feel so uneasy. I hope everything calms down soon.

Currently my house had been emitting loud cracking and thumping noises from the roof, due to the effect of the cold weather on the wood. I wonder if the strain of freezing temperatures (and the heave of water present in the soil around and under your house expanding as it freezes into ice) is causing your house to shift more than during warmer weather.

If you do feel like there's uneasy energy present that you'd like to get rid of, I highly recommend the energy clearing process as described in the book "Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui". I have found Space Clearing to be particulairly effective at restoring and rejuvinating positive energy at home. http://www.spaceclearing.com/html/what-is-space-clearing/what-is-space-clearing

I hope your home becomes a pleasant and welcoming space again soon.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to chime in that there are plenty of ghost hunters around who will come take a look for free. They aren't trying to make money but are simply doing it as a hobby. We are having a friend of ours who does this come take a look at our apartment if anything happens again but things have been pretty quiet on our front :) I hope you are able to get some sort of relief!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results