shape
carat
color
clarity

My dog ran away--any suggestions for finding her

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the city of chicago and I have a yorkie. I have two small children who love to open the back door and let her out. She escaped our front gate and took a runner. I am so upset. I spoke to neighbors all over, posted fliers, posted on craigslist, called the local emergency vet, posted on my neighborhood facebook page and have a findtoto.com going out tomorrow morning. She has a microchip but didn't have her collar on :( My husband and I walked drove around all afternoon and night, had a few leads of how far she had run (not good, too far away for my comfort and busy streets). Any other suggestions? I cannot sleep, my stomach is in knots. I keep thinking of her getting hit or being used as pit bull training bait. :shock: :cry:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
OMG - I'm so sorry!!!

Ok - first things first. (edited since I read through your post closer now!)

1. Make a flyer with a picture and paper all major intersections, ATM machines, 7/11s, supermarkets etc with it. Make sure to mention that she needs medication - people see a yorkie and think - hey, free expensive dog! Saying she needs medication makes them think - oh crap, sick dog I gotta get back to it's owner. Make sure to say that you guys miss her desperately. Offer a reward. The most effective ones I've seen are in a plastic cover and taped on with red duct tape - or are on a larger piece of bristol board in a neon color. (Looks like you already covered some of this)

2. Put an ad on craigslist or anywhere else with a lost dog post and your number/email. Post anywhere else you think people will read - local papers, facebook, etc (I see that you did craigslist - Bravo! That's where I look first)

3. Put out water and food on your stoop, with something that smells like you - a sweater, towel, etc. Leaving a few items that smell like you around the area will help her find her way home.

4. Put a giant poster with her picture on your home so your neighbors know to look for her. As well, if someone finds the dog and drives around looking for her home- they know where to go!

5. Leave someone at home waiting for her - and start a search party. Bring super stinky treats that she loves - or cheese. The first 24 hours are critical. Take flyers with her picture and your number.

6. Call the microchip company to double-check that you're registered and also list her as lost.

7. Notify and leave a flyer at all the vets and petstores/daycares in the area. That is the first place people will go with a lost dog.

Best of luck and I really hope you find her SOOON! *hug*

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Erin, I am so sorry to hear this and I am sending you so much dust! Webdiva hit all the main points. From my experience, I think getting the notice out to Craigslist, local bulletin boards (the local cafes, library, stuff like that), vets and shelters is the critical thing. Then you may want to think about what your dog knows and likes. For example, is your dog familiar with the neighborhood? Does she have any dog friends or places of interest? I know that if a certain dog of mine gets out, I will find her around our block as she scans everyone's trash areas for any good tidbits Is there anything that she shows interest in in the neighborhood? Do you have any neighbors that regularly foster dogs or who would be likely to take in what they believe to be a stray dog?

I hope you find her - please check back in.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I am so so sorry about this. :(( Webdiva and minousbijoux have given you great advice.
Sending tons and tons of dust for you to find your darling yorkie safe and sound!!

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any more suggestions, but I would like to say that I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I hope that she comes home safe and sound. Good luck

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Webdiva and Minous have covered it all, as have you already, but sending you plenty of DUST DUST DUST that your precious pet comes home to you ASAP!!! Very stressful, I can completely understand how miserable you must be feeling... best of luck that he shows up unscathed and happily wagging his tail at your back door!!!

(((HUGS)))

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. I didn't sleep a wink last night, my stomach is in panicky knots. I walked up and down the streets with a can of food and called for her--also posted more posters. Webdiva, thanks for the suggestion about saying she needs meds, I posted most of them before that suggestion. I also used the home again vet/shelter contact feature, hopefully that and findtoto.com will help. My fear is 1) she will get hit or seriously injured or 2) that the finder wont want to return her. I think she probably got picked up pretty quickly by someone, but the timing sucks so much, no vets are open on Sunday.

My three and 1/2 year is stressed too, and my two year keeps asking "where did fi dog go?" (her name is fiona). So not fun.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry this happened, sending you lost of dust for her quick and safe return. All I can add is check bushes, under balconies, anywhere you may think that she can hide she might be afraid and is not budging, they're known for hiding when afraid. Also neighbors garages. All I can think of for right now.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry. I would also call the non emergency police number and let them know your dog is lost. I did that when my dog was lost and they called me back in an hour and had the dog.

Hugs!! Hoping she is found quickly.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Update:

Fiona is home!!!!!!! I got a call from a nice lady and her daughter about one block south of us--they saw my flier. The little girl really wanted to keep her, she brushed her and kept her in her room. They walked fiona around to see if she would take them to her home, but she kept going south, and they didn't think she lived that way since they thought they remembered seeing me with her before.

Lessons learned: 1) need a better gate in the front and also along my house. 2) I need to walk Fiona more often--she obviously is bored!

Thanks everyone for your help and good thoughts!

Here is a picture of Fiona riding on my son's lap in the car:

img-20120529-00141.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Yeah!!!
Wow - nice of that mom to return her but it had a scary overtone that if mother didn't have the moral fortitude to return her, Fiona would be wagging her tail for another little girl. :shock: Whew - so glad she called and returned her!

Yeah - get on that gate thing, ASAP!! :lol:

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Erin I'm shedding tears of Joy!!!!! So glad she's back home! She's a little beauty! Now go get some well deserved rest lol xo

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad for you! My recommendation for you would be to keep her collar on at ALL times. My dog ran away once, and I think I would never have gotten him back if it hadn't been for his tags. When I got the call to come and get him, he was at a house party where they fed him tuna fish and hot dogs :lol: they said he looked hungry (the real story is he's a little food hog). He's a cavalier king charles spaniel, so he's small, sweet, and lovable - I NEVER let him out of his collar now, even in the house.

Hope you get some rest and that you and the kiddos are snuggling with fiona right now :appl:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy Fiona's home!!!!! :appl:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Cluless: you should have seen me when I pulled up to their house and saw that Fiona was safe!! I was crying and I am not really like that! It was just horrible walking around my neighborhood, in the dark. We live in a "mixed neighborhood"--and there are some truly scary old apt complexes mixed in where shady stuff is obviously going on. The longer it went on the more my mind started to go wild. Fiona is only 7 lbs and is too friendly for her own good. I got calls from several people saying they tried to catch her but she was too quick. I guess she was smart and picked who could catch her!

I really have a truer sympathy for people who lose pets for long periods of time. The not knowing was the worst!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
violet3: Yes, I am kicking myself for not having her collar on her-- I washed her a couple days ago and left the collar on the laundry room sink--to wash it. A dirty collar is better than a lost dog!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phew, SOOOOO happy Fiona is home!!! :appl: :appl:

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
YAY! I'm so happy for you! I can't even imagine how terrible that must have been.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I'm so glad you found her!! :appl: Our dogs have a tag that says their name, street # and street only, and phone number. We put just the street address on in case one of them got lost locally, so it would be easy for someone to just bring them home to us. They're also chipped of course, and are well supervised but you just never know.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! I have been dying to log on all morning to see if you found her and this is the first chance I got. I'm happy and relieved to hear that she is home. I have heard from others that one of the primary ways dogs get lost is that so many of us take collars off when they are in the home and then they inadvertently escape. Good for you for fixing your gate!

Fiona's a real cutie too! She must've been happy to be home

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank goodness!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: I'm sooooo happy Fiona is home safe and sound!!! She's adorable!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
So glad there's a good resolution!

I have two hounds and when they go, they GO. I have kids too and they let one out once by accident. It was scary. Our property is fully fenced and ever since the gates have been locked from the inside JUST IN CASE. The UPS and FEDEX guys just toss packages over the fence. I'm a little nutty about it! :lol:

Anyway, the dogs, one in particular is really irritated by collars. I got then these great leather tag necklace that hold their tags, but would break away if they got caught on something. (We had a dog that strangled itself in our family-it was my aunts dog. As a result I don't leave dogs collared if they're alone.) Anyway, the bolos are great because they are super comfy and safe. If you like to give Fiona a break from a collar you may want to consider something like it!

http://www.longdogleather.com/index.cfm?content=67&Menu=31

You'd have to find something smaller for a yorkie, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Just saw this thread and thank God she's already home! I love a happy ending!

P.S. What a cutie!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs Taylor-- thanks for the hint on the suede necklace tag holders. I may have to try one. I have this really thin and soft hemp collar, it is more like a necklace, it just gets so yucky. When I take her for a walk I always use a harness, so the collar is really just a tag holder. Yorkies often choke when a leash is attached to their collar.....

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
erinl|1342404511|3234544 said:
Mrs Taylor-- thanks for the hint on the suede necklace tag holders. I may have to try one. I have this really thin and soft hemp collar, it is more like a necklace, it just gets so yucky. When I take her for a walk I always use a harness, so the collar is really just a tag holder. Yorkies often choke when a leash is attached to their collar.....

Greyhounds are the same. I generally walk them on harnesses as well.

I prefer the leather necklace because it doesn't get nasty like the other softer fibers. But yeah...it's a great tag holder!

Glad all is well and she's safe with you tonight.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
So glad your pup made it home! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your kind wishes!! Fiona seems like she enjoyed her adventure and ready for another one, she doesn't know how lucky she is--or how good she has it here with us!!!!!!

We will be taking her up to Wisconsin soon and we take her on the boat-- she loves it!!

558.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1342374479|3234356 said:
Update:

Fiona is home!!!!!!! I got a call from a nice lady and her daughter about one block south of us--they saw my flier. The little girl really wanted to keep her, she brushed her and kept her in her room. They walked fiona around to see if she would take them to her home, but she kept going south, and they didn't think she lived that way since they thought they remembered seeing me with her before.

Lessons learned: 1) need a better gate in the front and also along my house. 2) I need to walk Fiona more often--she obviously is bored!

Thanks everyone for your help and good thoughts!

Here is a picture of Fiona riding on my son's lap in the car:

Yay!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
So relieved and happy for you that Fiona (love her name!!) is home!!!!
What a cutie pie!! :love:
Kiss her from all her new PS friends please and lots of hugs!!!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw this and am soooo happy she's back! :appl: It's so terrifying to lose a dog, our dog's breed tends to run off so I'm terrified of it happening and am super strict doggie mom with all locked gates but my girl dog jumped the gate the first day we got her! I know how horrible that feeling is. Yay! She's back with you guys and your adorable daughter!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results