shape
carat
color
clarity

Most memorable anniversary?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What has been your most memorable anniversary? How did you celebrate and what anniversary was it?

My husband and I will be celebrating our 5th anniversary next summer, and we're trying to decide how to celebrate.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh happy 5 years!!! :appl: I feel like you just got married yesterday!!! I think the anniversaries we went on trips! A few times we have gone to Hawaii, those were the years before the kiddos came along.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Skippy! :wavey: It doesn't feel like 5 years to us either. So much has happened since then!

Trips are always fun! I've loved seeing your pics of Hawaii! It's my dream destination, but a big trip like that will have to wait quite a few years. Someday though...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Happy Anniversary to you both! :appl:

I would say the most memorable anniversary was the 10th, and the next big one for us will be 25 (in over 3 years). We really enjoyed ourselves.

I surprised DH with a trip to San Fran (even called his work and booked it off). I arranged care for our then 7 year old son, and saved to pay for the trip long before it happened. This was a 4 hour flight for us, so it took some planning and anxiety (on my part) to leave our son for 5 nights and go so far away.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
We have done a trip almost every year for our anniversary, but last year for our 5th anniversary we spent 12 days in Italy. It was wonderful and by far my favorite. Not necessarily because of the trip, more that DH and I have been together for so long, had 2 kids and over 13 moves in 5 years- we are still stronger then ever and when I still look at him I get butterflies. :love:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
We generally just go out to dinner and spend time together, but the San Francisco suggestion is great! Try new restaurants, check out the speakeasy Bourbon & Branch, eat at the Ferry Building - so much fun! :)

We love going back to the adorable bar/restaurant we had our first date at and making it a special evening. Dressing up, getting out the classic car, ordering champagne and telling everyone it's our anniversary! Makes it super special! :)

Happy Anniversary!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
This year, we celebrated our 10th anniversary by getting married :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy 5 years!

We celebrated 5 years last Sept with a quiet dinner & movie. The most memorable was our 1st year - we had a fabulous trip to St. Tropez in the South of France. I was already 5 months pregnant though, so only 1 glass of bubbles for me. The rest have been non-events:
2nd year - breast feeding,
3rd year - pregnant,
4th year - breast feeding.

So actually, I have NO IDEA why we didn't celebrate more last Sept?? I do know I drank more than one glass of bubbles though :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy 5 years Zoe!

Our most memorable anniversary (so far) is the day we got married. It was the 5th anniversary of our very first date. Nov 12th-our first date...Nov 13th-the day we got married because we wanted a Saturday night wedding or else we would have done it on the 12th but close enough! It was very romantic to do it on a date that held significance for us (though any date we got married would have become a significant day).

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, hlmr! It's still a ways off but it's fun to think about how to celebrate. That's a great idea to arrange with your husband's work for time off without him knowing. A surprise trip to SF sounds really fun!

Sarahbear, aw, that's sweet! Italy sounds amazing. Where did you visit? What was your favorite part of the country?

Webdiva, we usually go out to dinner, also. We had decided when we got married (at a restaurant in a popular beach destination) that we'd return every for our anniversary, either on that day or near it. We save it only for that time so it seems extra special.

Congratulations, manderz!

Alex, St. Tropez sounds incredible. It looks beautiful!

Thanks Missy! That's great you chose a date (or one right next to it!) that held significance to you. We were originally going to get married on July 5th but close family friends asked us to change the date because they weren't able to attend on the 5th. I couldn't imagine getting married without them there, so we moved it to the week after, July 12th. My husband and I have a weird thing about numbers. As it turns out, we like 12 more than 5, so it worked out well. :bigsmile:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our fourth ... we were on a cruise and that particular day/night we were in Mykonos, Greece! I wish we could find a way to be there EVERY anniversary. HA! Just timed out perfectly so it was super memorable.

Hope you find something fun for your Fifth & congrats!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I had two weddings and two ceremonies (religious and civil) so I celebrate twice a year! :lol: we explore the UK for one occasion, and go abroad for the other. It's a great excuse for a holiday.

We try and go somewhere special. This year we cruised to the canary islands. Gorgeous sunshine. Our ship was beautiful, we partied for 2 weeks with the old (ahem) folks :bigsmile:

Last year we went to the peak didsrict and stayed in an amazing hotel in the middle of the forest. The food was outstanding, and the views were even better.

This July, we will go to Scotland.

My husband really makes an effort for me. He always starts the day with a big bunch of peonies (my wedding flowers), sometimes a big gift like jewellery, and sometimes a small token, like a new perfume from my never-ending wish list. We always have a great lunch, usually in a Michelin starred restaurant. Then we are off on our adventure!

Gotta love that man! :love:

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
We're not married yet, but our 5th year of being together anniversary was in October and SO surprised me with a trip to Virginia to see my Dad, who I am very close with but they live about 5 hours away so we only see them a few times a year. It was the most selfless gift ever, completely for me, and he organized it all - boarded the dogs, took me on a little shopping trip and took everyone out to dinner while there. It was the best yet - I always say I'd much rather make a memory than get a gift! :loopy:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe, is there an INN or bed and breakfast you want stay in? I know that I have loved the cute Bed and Breakfasts we have stayed at; we stayed near Carmel at this one and it was Amazing, so romantic and the food was delicious!!! http://www.thesevengablesinn.com/

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh, we got married on our dating anniversary, too! Up in Carmel. The ceremony was a year and a day, so on the actual anniversary, we were lying on the beach, writing our vows at sunset.

Second most memorable would probably be our 3rd wedding anniversary (4th total) - we went to New Orleans an stayed at the Four Seasons, I think. It was a ground floor room in the quarter with a hot tub in the back patio. We went to Commanders Palace ... And then the next night, celebrated Halloween in the Quarter. A trip I'll never forget. :)

Third most memorable, though not in a good way, would be this year, our 5th. We were homeless because of lead poisoning/abatement, staying in a hideous hotel by the Port Authority because it was short notice on the eve of Hurricane Freaking Sandy. AND of all days, that's the day I got my first period post-birth. ::shudder:: we actually still have to make that one up ... think I'll have to plan something nice for our five-and-a-half year anniversary!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Definitely our 10 year (2 years ago). We went to Maui and my BGD reset was delivered to me there!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Hubby proposed on our second dating anniversary, so that was pretty memorable.

Then we got married on our third dating anniversary, so that was even MORE memorable.

On our first wedding anniversary (4th dating), we had one of the best dinners I've ever had in my life at the Back Bay Grill in Portland, Maine, after spending the previous 3 days in Boston. That trip started out incredibly rocky, but ended fabulously. (Including narrowly missing the giant derecho that hit VA this past summer.)

Our second wedding anniversary (5th dating) will be this June and I'm trying to convince hubby into a trip to Paris. :appl: :love: :naughty:

Congrats to all you ladies on awesome marriages...and thanks for all the future anniversary ideas!!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your 5th!

We are coming up on our 13th, and I have to say our most memorable was our 10th. I got my upgrade at my 10 year anniversary, and to top it off we went on a trip to Paris. We our anniversary dinner at Le Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower...I don't think dh can ever top that anniversary!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
We got our 1st set of matching dinnerware, as a gift for our 2nd anniversary.
When we were checking out, a female employee at Williams-Sonoma commented, "what an adult thing to do!"
I thought that was very memorable. :D

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Our 25th was the best so far, actually the only one we really did anything other than dinner and a gift.
I knew I wanted to do something special, so I planned a 10 day trip to Ireland. Hubby is a USS swimming coach so he works year round and summer is the busy time, but we also both teach so summer is it for trips, Plus anniversay is June 16th!

I went to his asst coaches and told them of my plans, he NEVER takes time away from coaching and told them to plan on covering the 14 days! I then told him.
The planning part was so much fun. We stayed in B&B's and drove ourselves. I was planning on just the two of us, but DS was only 11 and Dh wanted to bring him, and the DD got all teary eyed that we were leaving her behind ( she was 21!) so we altered our plans and took the two. Actually it was a great family vacation. The kids had their own room and we had plenty of quality time. My parents treated us to 2 nights in Ashford Castle and one of my favorite moments was comng down to the dining room to find DS dressed in jacket and tie and asking us if we would like to join him!!

We are thinking of going back in 2014 for our 35th.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I shouldn't have read this thread (jealousy). Let's see, we were together for 5 years before we got married, and our 5, 10, and 15 year anniversaries went by, with no romantic trips despite heavy suggestions. Basically, we have done no trips, just the two of us, since first child was born (10 years ago).
The 15th anniversary a couple years ago was especially bad, because there was no reason for it (have grandparents nearby, kids are older, etc). After disappointments of researching and planning trips that then get kaboshed I am giving myself a break from planning any trips this year, except for maybe a family camping trip.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Our wedding anniversary is in June, and generally we go out for a nice dinner. Those are fun but the memories all run together.

My most memorable anniversary was the one where our son had a Little League game, so we went to the game and were sitting in the stands munching our $1 hot dogs and laughing about our not so fancy anniversary dinner. Then the coach says to the parents in the stands, that he is going to miss the next game because it is his anniversary and he needs to be with his wife. I spoke up and said, bring her to the game, after all, tonight was our anniversary and we were here. Boy, did I get a dirty look! :bigsmile:

The kids are grown now, but I treasure those precious years when they were young. I tried to get to every game, every play, every school event, anniversary or not. I am so lucky to be able to celebrate more anniversaries with my DH. Number 37 is coming up this year.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd say that our 25th and 27th were the best in recent memory because we were able to leave all 3 kids (semi-adults!) and travel for a 2 week time frame. Both trips involved Las Vegas and we were upgraded both times to a 1 bedroom penthouse "Sky Suite" at the Aria hotel! We laughed, we had fun, we explored another city after each LV time... we like to travel and be together just the two of us.

We also had just survived repairing our marriage, so that made the 25th sooooo much more significant because it almost didn't happen!

But prior to the travel anniversaries, I loved the ones where we went and did anything out and away from the kids, that just made us laugh and be together! Any anniversary is a good one! :praise:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The only anni we were able to go away for was our first. We went to New Orleans and had a wonderful time.

By our 2nd, I had just given birth and by our 3rd, I was pg again. 4th we had two toddlers and no one to take care of them....5th-10th the same way. We always get a sitter and go out for dinner. This year, he actually suprised me with an iPad, since said children have started to commandeer my laptop and I'm never able to get online....I say actually because my DH isn't one for suprises...he's just not wired that way. However, I think my reaction was so priceless that he may try to surprise me again sometime. :lol:

I'm hoping that for our 15th, the kids will be old enough that I can find a place for them to stay and DH and I can go on a trip somewhere overseas for a couple of weeks....a girl can dream right??

So Zoe, what ideas has this thread given you? Are you any closer to making plans?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
fabulousfindk|1358345475|3356760 said:
We're not married yet, but our 5th year of being together anniversary was in October and SO surprised me with a trip to Virginia to see my Dad, who I am very close with but they live about 5 hours away so we only see them a few times a year. It was the most selfless gift ever, completely for me, and he organized it all - boarded the dogs, took me on a little shopping trip and took everyone out to dinner while there. It was the best yet - I always say I'd much rather make a memory than get a gift! :loopy:

That's so sweet! I agree with you on the memories vs. gift thing. We go places instead of giving regular gifts. It's been so much fun and we always have at least one good story to tell.

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Zoe|1358545745|3359057 said:
fabulousfindk|1358345475|3356760 said:

That's so sweet! I agree with you on the memories vs. gift thing. We go places instead of giving regular gifts. It's been so much fun and we always have at least one good story to tell.

Thank you, Zoe! I am sometimes a brat about gifts, because I really do not like surprises, and I'm not always the greatest gift GIVER either so I would much rather go somewhere and DO something, too! May we all always be blessed enough to travel on our anniversaries ;-)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, Greece sounds amazing! I've never been but my sister has gone and family friends went there for their honeymoon and everyone loved it.

Elisa, Isn't Ireland AWESOME?! My husband would move to there tomorrow if he could. We want to go back and see parts we didn't see the first time around. We went for a friend's wedding and then we rented a car and drove west (we arrived in Dublin). We were gone for 10 or 11 days. I can't wait to go back.

I'd love to go on a big trip, especially since we've sort of planned a few in the past and then we ended up needing to back out for one reason or another. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do a really big trip this summer, so that will have to wait a bit. We're on track for meeting some of our financial goals and that has to come first. We're also going away in April and some of our travel budget will be used for that. I definitely have a lot more ideas of places to visit now though. We'll do some sort of smaller vacation for our anniversary.

Skippy, I love the B&B idea. I'll look into a few in my region and see what I find.

It's great to read everyone's stories!

candy

Rough_Rock
Our 5 year anniversary, just this past summer.

We planned on a low key brunch at a great restaurant with delicious cocktails -- great way to start the day!

But right before we left, the thought occurred to me, "Hm, I'd better check something first." Ran to the store, bought a pregnancy test... found out we had a baby on the way! I never did get to drink that cocktail :D

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1358540801|3358976 said:
I'd say that our 25th and 27th were the best in recent memory because we were able to leave all 3 kids (semi-adults!) and travel for a 2 week time frame. Both trips involved Las Vegas and we were upgraded both times to a 1 bedroom penthouse "Sky Suite" at the Aria hotel! We laughed, we had fun, we explored another city after each LV time... we like to travel and be together just the two of us.

We also had just survived repairing our marriage, so that made the 25th sooooo much more significant because it almost didn't happen!

But prior to the travel anniversaries, I loved the ones where we went and did anything out and away from the kids, that just made us laugh and be together! Any anniversary is a good one! :praise:

That is awesome, Enerchi! Hard work that paid off....congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results