shape
carat
color
clarity

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHO'S GOING TO SEE THE HUNGER GAMES TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT?!?!?!?! Anyone?

DH and I are going. I'm so excited!

He doesn't read much fiction, but I convinced him to give it a try and he loved THE HUNGER GAMES. He's in the middle of CATCHING FIRE right now.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't deal with with crowds or madness, so we are going in a couple of weeks, on a weeknight. Let us know what you think?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I will.

We live near a very quiet movie theatre. DH and I are often the only people in the entire theatre on a Friday night. So, we're hoping that it's going to be somewhat tame tonight. We shall see. :bigsmile:

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
I think we will go sometime next week in a group - maybe 5-10 people. Midnight showings are incredibly annoying for me and I just find it more enjoyable to go without the screaming hoardes.
I did re-read the first book this week in anticipation though... so I am excited :bigsmile:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I only go to a few movies a year, but I'm so excited to see this! I told D that my desire to see it is so strong that I may be okay with leaving Katie with D's parents so that we can have our first date sinc having the baby. Our local theater also shows movies for moms (you bring the baby) and I want to see if The Hunger Games is one of the options. Have fun tonight and give us an update!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to wait another couple of weeks until my bronchitis is gone. :(sad

April20

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1332464020|3154739 said:
I never read it!!! I feel like I'm missing out :0

Read them!!!! I gave into the peer pressure to read them about three weeks ago. I had looked into them, but I'm not into "futuristic" type stuff. My friends kept telling me to just read them! It's been a long, long time since a book kept me up until midnight because I just had to see what happened next! I knocked out all three in like a week and a half. I am SO STOKED for the movie!

But.... I'll be waiting a couple weeks for the crowds to die down. :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, our theatre is going to be packed. Their was originally only two midnight showtimes on the schedule, and now they've added two more. EEEEEEEH! I'm so excited!!!!
I'll come back and report tomorrow. :bigsmile:

NEL--How cool is it that your local theatre has movies for mommies? Love that. DH and I go to the movies nearly every Friday, by the way. We love the movies.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm going! I absolutely, positively, CANNOT WAIT. I also have tickets to see it again with friends on Saturday. I took a nap to prepare myself, haha, and am ready. to. go.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1332457280|3154647 said:
WHO'S GOING TO SEE THE HUNGER GAMES TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT?!?!?!?! Anyone?

DH and I are going. I'm so excited!

He doesn't read much fiction, but I convinced him to give it a try and he loved THE HUNGER GAMES. He's in the middle of CATCHING FIRE right now.

yay! you're probably watching the movie as I type here! Hope you love it!

I am not sure of my plans yet. I want to see the movie by myself first because I LOVE dystopian literature and the books are right up my alley, but if I don't see the movie tomorrow, I'll have to wait two weeks due to prior commitments...I don't want to see it the first time with my DH, which I know is kind of mean to my dh who works FT while I'm at home, but he kept making up excuses NOT to read the first book, so clearly he's not dedicated (and only dedicated people can appreciate the movie!!!). I want him to experience the ENTIRE story before watching the movie, so this is a huge issue. MAJOR. I mean I may see the movie 2 or 3 times before I let him come along with me! Am I being overdramatic? lol ;)) I may not even cook him dinner till he reads the first book.

How did you convince your DH to read the book? I kept reminding mine, would even set it out on the end tables or on kitchen counter, but he never once picked it up. I read Return of the Kings by tolkien, which had to be the most painfully boring book I've ever read, and only read it b/c DH asked me too and he can't read a teen fiction book - which I looked and discovered is for FIFTH grade level - so he I am certain he's at least at that reading level and probably is capable of reading it in a few hours!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHMIMOCKINGJAY it was amazing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1332488807|3154933 said:

Oooh, glad you loved it Haven! I cannot wait to go. It will probably be a few weeks though as our schedule is so full these days. :(
I am looking forward to it. There hasn't been enough good movies this year. The last one I loved was Incendies and that was over a year ago.

Thanks for the review!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am DYING to see it! I promised my sister we'd go together, so we have to figure out a way to work it in to our schedules, but we are definitely going!!! So glad it lived up to your expectation Haven....so many times the movie isn't as good as the book!

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I'm going today after work with a large group of friends, teenager style. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Haven, I'm glad to hear you liked it. I was not a fan of the HP movies (and for that reason haven't seen most of the twilight movies) - but I am hearing this was better and I'm so excited!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, will people who haven't read the books love the movie? Oddly, I really like seeing a movie when I don't know what is going to happen, even though I know there is always more in the book.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1332488807|3154933 said:

Wasn't it, though!?!? I already have tickets to go see it again on Saturday and I'm *so glad*.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGuy picked up the book last night. He sat and read it for 3 hours...I haven't seen him read for ages! So it will be nice when we go see it in a couple of weeks that we have both read the book.

I read Water for Elephants last night, and while it was good, I found myself envious that he was reading Hunger Games. :cheeky:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I guess I have to add it to my reading list, as well. I don't know why I have been hesitant to read it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1332514813|3155082 said:
TGuy picked up the book last night. He sat and read it for 3 hours...I haven't seen him read for ages! So it will be nice when we go see it in a couple of weeks that we have both read the book.

I read Water for Elephants last night, and while it was good, I found myself envious that he was reading Hunger Games. :cheeky:

Have you seen the Water for Elephants movie, TG? They did a pretty good job of movie adaptation.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1332517479|3155109 said:

Have you seen the Water for Elephants movie, TG? They did a pretty good job of movie adaptation.

I live in a cave...I didn't even know there as a movie until my friend told me. :nono:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1332518169|3155112 said:
MC|1332517479|3155109 said:

I live in a cave...I didn't even know there as a movie until my friend told me. :nono:

hahaha Yeah, I read the book right when it came out in trade paperback and so was all pumped when the movie came out! It's out on Netflix so easy to come by! Has Reece Witherspoon in it.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I am completely not into the futurist thing either and it was such an amazing book series!! :) I'm going with my future in laws and fiance in 2 weeks before our Easter cabin trip...I read the first book during our Easter cabin trip last year after being told how amazing it was from future MIL and furture SIL...super excited to see it and I'm really happy to hear they did a great job with the movie :appl:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slept in a bit there. ::) It is kind of disorienting going to sleep at 3 AM. I'm too old for that kind of schedule.

I loved the movie. I think it is such a great adaptation because they involved Suzanne Collins in the actual movie writing. I saw a clip from the director where he discussed how he first contacted her for feedback, but with time it just evolved into a writing partnership.

My fear with any movie adaptation is that I'm going to resent some of the characters or details they change to fit the screen. That didn't happen here. There are some changes, of course, and many characters are left out, but they maintained the story's integrity, and more importantly, its power. DH loved the movie, too. The most difficult thing for me at this point is not spoiling the rest of the story for DH. He's in the middle of CATCHING FIRE, and I was *so* close to spoiling things for him when we were discussing the movie last night. They did a great job of setting up some of the foreshadowing of future events, but I kept forgetting that he doesn't know what those events are, yet. AND, he doesn't know who Katniss ends up with, so whenever he commented about Gale or Peeta I really had to remind myself not to say anything. He's soooooo wrong, by the way. Can't wait until he figures that one out. :cheeky:

I haven't been to a midnight showing since I brought my sisters to the HP midnight releases long before I read those books, so I was nervous. Our typically empty theatre showed THG on four different screens, and while each was very busy, none of them were packed to the gills. It was nice because people weren't stuck in the front rows in any of the theatres, and could still sit with some space between groups. The crowd was mostly pre-teens w/their parents, teens, and then a sprinkling of adult couples like us. The kids were insanely loud before the previews started, but then as soon as the previews came on it became one of the quietest packed theatres I've ever been in. I can only assume that's what happens when you see a movie adaptation filled with people who actually love the story. They really wanted to be present for every moment! (I only had to use my teacher voice once, and it was when the group of preteen boys behind us engaged in a several minutes long argument about a detail that was omitted from the movie. It was cute to hear, but too distracting to tolerate for very long. They were cute about it, and apologetic.)

I loved the experience, and it warmed my reading teacher's heart to see so many kids packed into a very late show to watch a movie based on a book they all clearly loved. I was grinning like a fool listening to all of them chatter away excitedly about the book before it started.

One of the theatre employees came in during the previews and asked trivia questions and gave away movie swag. It was really fun, and DH couldn't believe how all these youngsters remembered tiny details from the books.

MC--I just ranted and raved about the series long enough that DH said he would bring the first book with him on a weekend ski trip to Denver. It took him about 50 pages to get into it, but then he loved it. He's definitely going to finish the trilogy.

Princesss--I'm so jealous! We're going again next week to take my niece, I can't wait!

TGal--Wow! That's great that your husband read it last night. I love seeing people become engrossed in a book.

Diamondseeker--That's a tough question to answer because I've only seen it as someone who read the book. I think they did a great job explaining the details and background that viewers need to understand what's going on, but as with most adaptations, the book is much richer. My bet is that viewers who haven't read the book will "get" a lot of the movie, and they'll leave with a sense of the larger questions the book asked, but their experience of it won't be as rich and complex as those who read. This seems like I'm just stating the obvious, sorry! These books are so disturbing, and so provoking, that I really think they're worth a read, and I don't think the movie alone can do justice to the ideas. But it is an amazing adjunct to the reading, if that makes sense.

atp--That's going to be so much fun! DH and I split a large popcorn and a soda, and it felt so festive! Enjoy it!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I just downloaded the audiobook. I'm looking forward to it. Please tell me its better than Harry potter.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1332528221|3155211 said:
I just downloaded the audiobook. I'm looking forward to it. Please tell me its better than Harry potter.
They're very different.

I think Suzanne Collins is a very skilled writer, more so than Rowling. (I loved HP, though.)

THG is about war. It was not written specifically for a younger audience, HP was. The MC in THG is a teenager, and so it was marketed to young adults. HP was, of course, written specifically for children.

I can't wait to hear what you think!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ok this sounds more up my alley than HP. I shall report back but an audiobook will take waaaay longer than it usually takes me to read a book!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results