shape
carat
color
clarity

Man accidently sold wife's $23k ring for $10

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I don't insure all of my jewelery, but $20k+ ring, I would insure. Losing that much money if a ring is lost of stolen would make me keel over dead, I believe. Where I live, jewelry insurance is low-cost.

I can't believe the number of people who don't insure their houses. Or renters who don't insure their personal property. My father was in the insurance biz, so I guess I just have a different perception of it. We buy insurance in my family.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mortgage holder requires I carry insurance on the house.
When it's paid off I'll drop the insurance.

It's not that I'm so rich that I could replace it. I'm not, and I can't.
I just am at peace with the infinitesimally remote possibility that it will burn down and I'll be screwed.
Besides, most of the value is in the dirt and where the dirt is, not the structure.

I have other uses for the money I pay for homeowner's insurance.
I just am at peace with whatever happens.
I don't cling to safety and security.

This is probably because much of my life I was very very poor.
I survived.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I am intrigued by the no insurance philosophy, Kenny. Have you ever had a large loss, now that you do have more expensive things?

I might share your feelings on the matter if I didn't have children to make sure that I kept secure financially. I know we spend a LOT on insurance for the cars, home, etc.. on a yearly basis and most of that has come since having the kids. That said, I have had to make claims for both stolen jewelry and accidents where the other person wasn't insured so overall I'm ahead at least at this point.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never lost anything that would have been insurable.
No auto or home insurance claims ever!
I think even if I had a claim I'd still feel that insurance is a rip off.
I think more of the big picture than about ME.

I have no kids and am too old today to start.

Besides, I would not have kids till I had a ton of money in the bank so they'd be fine (financially) if I croaked.
Then I wouldn't need life insurance.

If I had kids and bought life insurance I'd feel I'm pissing away their financial security, since again there is only a remote chance I'm going to croak before they are self supporting, but there is a very high likelyhood the insurance company IS going to cash all those premium checks I send to them.

Since I've had cancer I'd feel irresponsible having kids today.

All this only applies to me, nobody else ... since I accept that people vary.
No single way applies to everyone unless we're talking about something like murder.

I think insurance (and many other products from cosmetics to guns) is all about fear.
Fear is the most powerful emotion, and marketing pros know how to exploit us by fanning our deepest fears.

Which reminds me of a dream I once had when I was in psychoanalysis.
I was running away from a charging bull.
It was gaining on me.
Exhausted, I finally gave up, accepted my fate, and stopped.
When I turned around to die, the bull was gone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1371408717|3466963 said:
I don't have that much guts... :bigsmile: My mortgage was pay off 8 yrs ago but we still purchase home insurance. I'd agree with you about jewelry insurance... :knockout: $210 for every $10K of coverage... :rolleyes:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1371417435|3467001 said:
I don't have that much guts... :bigsmile: My mortgage was pay off 8 yrs ago but we still purchase home insurance. I'd agree with you about jewelry insurance... :knockout: $210 for every $10K of coverage... :rolleyes:

It may be just stupidity, not guts.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1371420557|3467019 said:

Are you calling me STUPID?... :Up_to_something: :tongue:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1371435211|3467130 said:
kenny|1371420557|3467019 said:

Are you calling me STUPID?... :Up_to_something: :tongue:
I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. :D

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, this sounds like something my husband would do. He almost seems to have esp of doing this sort of thing (but fortunately not with a 23K ring!). I am very glad the lady returned it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you know this, but the husband is a professional poker player, and has been charged with money laundering among other things. So the whole thing does sound suspicious. Plus seriously, I think if I was in the hospital having a child, I'd want my husband to be at least visiting me, instead of participating in yard sales (even for a good cause). Who knows maybe it's just a case of bad judgement, or something else going on.

Maybe the ring was bought with cash and that's why it's not insured?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results