shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies -- how many sorority sisters do we have here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Totally off topic, but I was just wondering how many of you belonged to a sorority when you were in college?

I know obviously AChioAlumna was in one!
2.gif
Was anyone else?

I was in Kappa Alpha Theta ("thetas")

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was a Delta Delta Delta, otherwise known as a Tri delt.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I graduated from a very small private university in Texas and we had "social clubs" instead of sororities.
Go Delta Theta (although I know none of you have ever heard of that)!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Kaleigh -- some of my good friends were tri-delts!
2.gif
At my school they had a reputation for being a pretty wild house!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey jellybean,
I had lots of friends that were Theta''s. The kappa kappa Gamma''s were the wildest, but we were known to have lots of fun too, and so did the Theta''s. Oh the good old days!!!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
kaleigh -- at my school the Thetas were known as a snobby house (I didn''t know that before I pledged) and the Kappas were the "rich" house!
2.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2005 3:55
6.gif
0 PM
Author:jellybean
Totally off topic, but I was just wondering how many of you belonged to a sorority when you were in college?

I know obviously AChioAlumna was in one!
2.gif
Was anyone else?

I was in Kappa Alpha Theta (''thetas'')

jellybean...what was your first guess? LOL
2.gif

We had Thetas at our campus too...unfortunately, I watched them fold...then I watched my own chapter fold...My campus wasn''t too big on the Greek system
8.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. My. God.
emotion-5.gif

I was a Delta Zeta (DZ). There were lots of great women in my chapter.

Never thought I''d see myself writing or talking about that again!!!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2005 6
6.gif
6.gif
2 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Never thought I''d see myself writing or talking about that again!!!

FG...Why do you say that??

That brings up a great secondary question...in addition to jb''s question? How many are still involved with their sorority in some way or another? The reason I ask is that I am an advisor and a president of our alumnae chapter...there is so much a need for alums to volunteer, but yet, not enough do...if you do or do not volunteer, what lead you to that decision?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2005 6:22:58 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Date: 5/10/2005 6
6.gif
6.gif
2 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Never thought I'd see myself writing or talking about that again!!!

FG...Why do you say that??

That brings up a great secondary question...in addition to jb's question? How many are still involved with their sorority in some way or another? The reason I ask is that I am an advisor and a president of our alumnae chapter...there is so much a need for alums to volunteer, but yet, not enough do...if you do or do not volunteer, what lead you to that decision?
My chapter was shut down (lower membership numbers than the headquarters wanted) halfway through my senior year of college and it was just a completely devastating experience at the time...no support, flailing in the wind kinda thing...not being told anything was wrong and then happened all of a sudden. It was very upsetting and left most of us very, very bitter. So for me, those girls I lived with for 3 years are some of my best friends...but my love for them equals my animosity towards the organization. They won't ever get a dime from me. I am thankful however, for having met and becoming lifelong friends with many sisters.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
i was a member of gamma sigma sigma, technically a service sorority versus social but we sure partied a lot :)

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
FG--

I can completely understand what you mean by feeling bitter as I watched my chapter fold as well during my senior year...After a bit of distance, I decided I wanted to find out what "alumna life" was like...it''s totally renewed my faith in my bond and my sisters. It''s not right for everyone, but being an alum is a lifetime thing while being an active was only 4 years of my life...

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I was in Sigma Kappa.

I don''t do any alumnae stuff, it seems like we scattered to the winds after graduation.

I can''t believe it''s been 25 years since then.

clammer

Shiny_Rock
Hey FireGoddess, I was also a DZ.

I transferred schools, and although they also had a DZ chapter, I didn''t click with the girls so I didn''t get involved.

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
My chapter was shut down (lower membership numbers than the headquarters wanted) halfway through my senior year of college and it was just a completely devastating experience at the time...no support, flailing in the wind kinda thing...not being told anything was wrong and then happened all of a sudden. It was very upsetting and left most of us very, very bitter. So for me, those girls I lived with for 3 years are some of my best friends...but my love for them equals my animosity towards the organization. They won''t ever get a dime from me. I am thankful however, for having met and becoming lifelong friends with many sisters.
Not the same experience but similar feelings, LOL! Our house "changed" by my Junior year as new girls came in and we had an advisor switch...she ruined it for those of us that were not straight-A, goody two-shoes but still had our $#!t together if you know what I mean. All of my close sisters (9 of us in all) either dropped out of school (2), graduated (3), or left the house by our Senior year (4-who all went on to graduate)...Oh, and I was an AXO too...
PS-Our favorite rivals/friends were the Kappas and the Thetas-man, if we all got together now there would be some stories to tell!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
AChiOAlumna -- I''m not involved right now mostly b/c of my 27 month old and my 14 month old!
2.gif

However, I didn''t have a real good college experience either. If I knew then what I know now....

In my junior year there was a lot of backstabbing with one particular "clic" in the house. It seemed like everyone was taking sides and you didn''t know who you could trust. Then one of my "sisters" started a rumor that I was sleeping with one other girl''s boyfriend (which I was not!!!!) and it made me very bitter toward the whole sorority thing because it seemed I had the whole house against me at one point. So basically there were a lot of girls that I started out being friends with that by my junior year wanted no part of. Had I a more pleasant experience, I would have probably done more alumnae work.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I was a Delta Gamma. It was a low key thing at my school. No big houses with all the clics etc that come with that; just a way to have other social functions in a small college town. We had tri-delts and kappas, but not theatas. I had a kappa, tri-delt and alpha phi for roommates. We were a very panhellenic (sp?) group
10.gif
. I haven''t stayed active as an alum. Don''t really know why -- just not interested.

sharonzhere

Rough_Rock
Hey! It''s been a long time since I posted here...

I was an AOTT - Alpha Omicron Pi. (Delta Zeta was the other sorority I visited on preference night, btw!)

I''m not involved in my alumnae chapter at all although I am close with those that are and I do read their newletters along with the sorority magazine with great interest, to keep up with what is going on. I''ve been out of college for 14 years now!

Someday I may get involved, but right now I''m having a hard time keeping up with everything else that I''ve got going on, mainly, being the stay-at-home mom to two active kids (meaning - ballet/scouts/little league/PTA etc etc etc), getting my masters degree, and supporting my dh in his endeavors. I''m definitely not ruling it out, though.

Anyway, the reason why I posted was because I just finished reading a book that I think all sorority sisters, past, present, and future, should read - it''s very eye opening! Pledged, the Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins. It''s a book by a very young looking author, who was able to infiltrate two different sororities by actually joining - and wrote the book. She follows four girls over the course of a year (the two sororities she went "undercover" in she covered in different years at different schools), and, with their permission (the girls knew she was undercover), writes their story and about her experiences in the sorority. What''s interesting is that some of the things she writes I found to be very far fetched, some things may happen in other sororities but not mine, (lol), and some of the things were right on. A definite read worth picking up.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there were no sororities at the university I attended. I don''t think I knew anyone who belonged to one at *any* school (and I had friends attending every college in the country) because when I was in school no one would be caught dead in a sorority! (Think hippies, radicals, the war in Vietnam.) I don''t know one sorority from another.

Deborah

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jellybean,

Does being a "little sister" to a fraternity count? I was a "Sister of the Skull" - Phi Kappa Sigma. Man, that was a loooong time ago!

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
i am a delta phi epsilon. greek like wasn''t huge at my school and because of local laws we weren''t allowed to have houses but it was a fun time.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Im a Theta too Jelly! <>~~~~

When i joined i was also playing softball for school. Practice and games seemed to always conflict with almost all the newbie/pledge stuff, so i didnt really get to know the entire chapter as well as others. I made some good friends out of my pledge class, but because i joined Soph year, i still stuck close with my freshman buddies (i was the only greek). I never had to live in our house, my big graduated months after pledging, and i always had something else to do (softball, class, internships), so i feel i missed out a little and always wonder what if. A year after i graduated they closed our chapter due to low recruitment.

Last month i sent an email to my local Alumnae group finding out how to get involved. I thought if i had a positive alumn experience it would ease some of my what-if from my college days. Turns out a woman from my chapter is in charge of getting new alumn, so i already have a connection. Think i may write that email right now...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2005 10:14
6.gif
2 PM
Author: clammer
Hey FireGoddess, I was also a DZ.

I transferred schools, and although they also had a DZ chapter, I didn''t click with the girls so I didn''t get involved.
I definitely found (by going to the regional convention or whatever you call it - can''t remember) that chapters from other schools could be very, very different!! It''s too bad you didn''t mesh with the girls at your new school, it would definitely have been a way to easily transition to a new place. But chapters can be very different from one another!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was also a little sisiter at Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. Oh the memories!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2005 9:22
6.gif
4 AM
Author: Catmom
Hi Jellybean,

Does being a 'little sister' to a fraternity count? I was a 'Sister of the Skull' - Phi Kappa Sigma. Man, that was a loooong time ago!
Hah! Me too - at a different fraternity.

We didn't have sororities at my school. But, hubby is a Frat Boy - Kappa Alpha.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
My school (small New England liberal arts) had only six sororities--3 national and 3 local. I was in one of the local ones, which was great decision in college because we got to throw parties for the whole campus and generally weren''t subject to any restrictions (except of those of the overbearing administration). That being said, I wonder if I''m missing out by not having a big national network now that I''m not in school anymore.

I loved being in a sorority in college--it was such a good time and I got to meet a lot of great girls I would have never met otherwise...

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
sharonzhere- Another AOII here!! yeah! I was just telling FI this morning that I''ve only randomly met one other AOII (ie, not thru an AOII or greek event) but now there''s two!

Not really involved w/alum stuff, I always planned to be, but then by the time I graduated (3yrs ago) I was pretty ''done'' w/the whole sorority thing, if that makes any sense... I guess two years as an officer pretty much wore me out. Although I still stop by after football games to give a quick hello and use the (clean) restroom! hehe.

I still hang out w/a small group of girls from AOII, one will be my MOH next april! I always tell everyone it was such a positive experience for me... esp since at my school greeks weren''t huge, and my chapter wasn''t the ''typical'' sorority, we were much more laid back... but then again, by the time I graduated we had gotten huge and were trying to be more... uh, shall I say, cool?! At our campus, it was the DGs and PiPhis that were the most popular... and the most... um... loose w/the frat boys?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results