shape
carat
color
clarity

Kindle Fire Covers

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter bought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas (love it!!) and I've been looking for a cover. Some of the reviews on some of the covers are kind of scary - the sides of the Kindle get gouged or eaten up by zippers and hinges and such.

Anyone have a cover or case that they would recommend for the Kindle Fire?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought the lightweight microshell folio by Marware. Both my hubby and son have it. Hubby loves his, son just got it for Christmas with the Fire, but he loved it. It reminds me of the cover for my ipad.

51N5W5MmE-L._SX100_.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a Nook for Christmas and am going to return it so I can get a Kindle since I use Amazon so much. I just can't decide if I should get a Touch for just reading since the battery lasts longer but get a Fire later because I'd like to also check email and use the web browser when traveling. But I was doing a search for Kindle and this new thread came up, so I thought I'd read about cover recommendations!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very impressed with the Fire. I didn't ask for this and really hadn't considered it but I love being able to browse the web with it as well as being able to read a book. My kids were after me to get an IPhone but I really didn't want to spend the money on it or the plan as I just use the phone for a phone. (showing my age!) This solves that problem because I can take it with me when traveling or can stick it in my purse to go out if I'm really waiting on a response or something - and that doesn't happen very often!

I was at the mall today and standing behind a woman in line that was reading her Fire while waiting in line. It made me think of doctor's appointments and such where you just have to sit and wait. This should be a nice thing to have in those situations where you're just killing time - at least you can read something you want to read!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1324948411|3088930 said:
We bought the lightweight microshell folio by Marware. Both my hubby and son have it. Hubby loves his, son just got it for Christmas with the Fire, but he loved it. It reminds me of the cover for my ipad.

I like the looks of that one - I'll have to go look it up. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really use my phone as a phone, too, but I can check email on it when I am away. I really don't want an Iphone, either, because I don't want to pay for the data plan. I do think the Fire would be great when waiting places, especially when there is wireless. The size is great..big enough to read a book or watch a video, but much more portable than an Ipad since it can fit in a medium sized purse. You do just have to sort out what you'd use the most and where you want to use it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size of the Fire is a big plus - definitely makes it portable if you want it to be. Technology advances so quickly and we're always having to adapt our toys to our needs. I held off on getting a cell phone as long as I could because I enjoyed leaving the house and leaving the phone and tv and news and email behind. Such a dinosaur! However, my family finally made me cave in case they needed to reach me in an emergency or in case I had one out on the road. I am not of the generation though with a phone in my hand at all times. Seems now that the young people don't even talk anymore - they just text. Don't even get me started on driving and the phone - bleh! I do have bluetooth in my car and hands free is very nice but I only use it when I need it. I don't love being tracked around by my cell phone and am still very annoyed at having to listen to everyone's phone conversations seemingly everywhere I go!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Check out the beautiful leather covers from Oberon Design. I had one for my Kindle 2 and just got another for my new Touch. Also have one of their journals and they are so well made and special. It is a small family owned business in Santa Rosa, California.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband loves his fire. In fact he is sitting next to me reading on it now! I have an ipad and I broke down and got a data plan because
I had a hard time finding free wireless. You always needed a code for it. That is the only problem I can see with the Fire. My husband uses his at work or home. It is a great device with so many uses! I take take my kindle everywhere I go, and it is amazing how many minutes you spend waiting that you can read.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1324954635|3088983 said:
Check out the beautiful leather covers from Oberon Design. I had one for my Kindle 2 and just got another for my new Touch. Also have one of their journals and they are so well made and special. It is a small family owned business in Santa Rosa, California.

Are these available through Amazon, Sundial? Do you like the new Touch?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good thread..we got our daughter a Kindle Fire too, and I was wondering the same thing! I think I'm going to have one made on Etsy.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1324960773|3089056 said:

Oberon has their own website www.oberondesign.com and you can order directly from them online or by phone. I love my Touch! It is smaller and lighter than my old Kindle that I passed along to my son. I have an iPhone and sometimes use my husband's iPad so it was easy to get used to the touch screen. I like the looks of the Fire but I like my devices to have 3G connectivity.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Sundial! It really does take some thought to figure out which devices will best cover our needs. If Apple would just make a 7-8" Ipad, then that would solve it for me! I want one that I can carry easily in my purse! But I honestly think the screen on the Touch would be better for reading than an LCD screen with glare. So I think I may get that now just for books and wait until next fall and see if the updated Fire comes with 3g or whether Apple makes a smaller Ipad. I am sure those will eventually come out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a Kindle cover from Elizabeth David on etsy, and after I posted pictures several other PSers bought covers from her, too. I've had mine for nearly two years and it's still in near-perfect condition. It's really beautiful, and the feel of it reminds me of the cloth book covers I used as a child, they were gifts from my grandma.

She makes covers for all e-readers and tablets.

I think mine is the Birds of Norway design. You can choose the different fabrics for the exterior and interior, as well as whether you want a button with a cord close, or a magnetic clasp close. My sister has a cover from her, several friends IRL, too. Too bad she doesn't have a referral program, I would be eligible for a free cover by now!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElizabethDavidDesign

IMG_9233.jpg
IMG_9242.jpg
Kitty cat not included. :))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325007262|3089343 said:
Thanks, Sundial! It really does take some thought to figure out which devices will best cover our needs. If Apple would just make a 7-8" Ipad, then that would solve it for me! I want one that I can carry easily in my purse! But I honestly think the screen on the Touch would be better for reading than an LCD screen with glare. So I think I may get that now just for books and wait until next fall and see if the updated Fire comes with 3g or whether Apple makes a smaller Ipad. I am sure those will eventually come out.
I think you're on to something about the LCD screen making it difficult for reading. The thing I love most about my Kindle is that I can read it in any conditions.

I've lent my Kindle out to several friends who can't decide which e-reader to buy, maybe you could read a book on each contender and then decide which is best for you. Are you in Chicago? If so, you can borrow mine! ;))

Another thing to consider is whether your nearest and dearest all have Kindles or Nooks, because you can lend books to each other with the Kindle, and I'm assuming the Nook is the same way. This is why my entire family ended up with Kindles, because my sister bought hers first and we wanted to be able to share. She just started a Goodreads Kindle Book Sharing Group for us, actually, so now we can really get swapping. At first I didn't think it was a big deal, but my sister buys so many books that I'm really glad I have the Kindle.

If I were buying a new e-reader now, I'd want it to be very light, small enough to fit in my larger purses, and anti-glare screen. And one that all my friends have so I can borrow their books. These are the things I like most about my Kindle. I'm also not good with touch screens, so I like the keypad.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your cover is gorgeous, Haven!!

Great advice on the Kindle, too! I don't have anyone to share with, but Kindle has enough free and low priced books that I would be set for a long time. I have a desire to read the classics I have never read. Those will probably last me a lifetime! Because I use Amazon a lot, it just seems more natural to me to get Kindle. My hubby didn't know that and surprised me with the Nook. Our youngest daughter has some reading issues, and I can see her using the text-to-speech as she gets into tougher literature in high school. That is the BIG advantage of the Kindle over the Nook, the audible aspect. If she likes it, then we can get her one in my name and share books. My only friends with this type of technology have the Nook (just one) or Ipads, so no Kindles to try out, unfortunately.

You know what I'd love, Haven? A list of the greatest books ever written...a book bucket list, so to speak. I know Les Miserables is at or near the top of my to-read list, but what else would you put in the top 20 or so?! Maybe that would be best done in a new topic. Think about it when you have time and make a new thread for those of us who are terribly behind in reading truly great books!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1325001011|3089264 said:
diamondseeker2006|1324960773|3089056 said:

Oberon has their own website www.oberondesign.com and you can order directly from them online or by phone. I love my Touch! It is smaller and lighter than my old Kindle that I passed along to my son. I have an iPhone and sometimes use my husband's iPad so it was easy to get used to the touch screen. I like the looks of the Fire but I like my devices to have 3G connectivity.

My goodness, Sundial, these covers are works of art! I think I need one like this and one like Haven's! This Kindle is getting more costly by the minute!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, those Oberon covers are amazing. Holy moly. I'm floored.

DS--Oh gosh, I am so not qualified to make a list like that. BUT, it would make for a wonderful thread, wouldn't it? I'll start one now! There must be several lists like that in the great interwebs, I'll dig up a few of those, too . . .
That is one great thing about the Kindle, so many classics are available for free. I love that I can carry the entire Jane Austen collection around with me wherever I go, you know, just in case of an emergency. It's like a security blanket.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh! Another tip for e-reader owners:

If you're on Twitter, follow as many writers and publishers and lit agents as you can find. They post links to 24-hour sales when authors offer their e-books for free, and other such things. I've already won two free books from Twitter, and I'm downloading some free books right now after seeing this link on Twitter:
http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/j-a-konrath-making-23-ebooks-free-for-3-days/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore Jane Austen books, too, Haven! Those will be one of my first acquisitions! Thanks for starting a thread. It will be a great reference! We've had threads on here before about what books people are currently reading, but for some of us who don't read a lot, it would be such a help to be able to sort through and choose the books that should be read before leaving this life!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, I have a cover from that seller favorited-she does great work! Good to know about Twitter..I saw on FB an author I love had a favorite book of mine on sale for Kindle for $2.99 so I hurried to get it. I'll check out Twitter too..I think I have an account there actually and have never figured it out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm excited to see what people contribute to that thread, DS. Are you on Goodreads? Under their "Explore" button on the top menu you can click on "Listopia" and see great lists compiled by GR users. It's really fun, and there are lists for everything. "Greatest Books of the 19th Centure" "Worst Books of All-Time" "Best Epic Fantasy" etc. etc.

Oh, do I love me some Jane Austen. Love love love.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1325009232|3089363 said:
I think you're on to something about the LCD screen making it difficult for reading. The thing I love most about my Kindle is that I can read it in any conditions.

I've lent my Kindle out to several friends who can't decide which e-reader to buy, maybe you could read a book on each contender and then decide which is best for you. Are you in Chicago? If so, you can borrow mine! ;))

Another thing to consider is whether your nearest and dearest all have Kindles or Nooks, because you can lend books to each other with the Kindle, and I'm assuming the Nook is the same way. This is why my entire family ended up with Kindles, because my sister bought hers first and we wanted to be able to share. She just started a Goodreads Kindle Book Sharing Group for us, actually, so now we can really get swapping. At first I didn't think it was a big deal, but my sister buys so many books that I'm really glad I have the Kindle.

If I were buying a new e-reader now, I'd want it to be very light, small enough to fit in my larger purses, and anti-glare screen. And one that all my friends have so I can borrow their books. These are the things I like most about my Kindle. I'm also not good with touch screens, so I like the keypad.

I thought this was a problem too, but you can change the backlighting to sepia and it makes it just like the regular kindle. Problem solved!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent about two hours yesterday reading Kindle reviews. It is amazing how some people LOVE something and others have so many problems. Sometimes I think it is user error, though.

I have decided that I really want the Touch and the Fire for different purposes, although I would put my books on both. I am going to start with the Touch and see if the Fire comes out with 3g web access next year. I think the Touch will just be easier to carry in my purse on a more frequent basis, but I'd rather have the Fire when traveling because of the web access. Then if I decide I prefer the Fire, I can pass the Touch along to my kids, so it won't go to waste! I am going to go for a cheap cover for now since there is the chance I might pass it along later! This is the one I will probably get for the Touch:

http://www.amazon.com/splash-SAFARI-Slim-Profile-Leather-Amazon/dp/B0062QPM54/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

(The video review, though, is for a different cover..probably the Marware one luv2sparkle mentioned)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
You will love the Touch DS! I think many of the negative reviews are from people who just aren't used to using a touch screen device. It is really simple to operate and works like a charm. I prefer my Kindle for reading and it is so nice and small, but we do use the iPad when we travel to check email and browse the web. Tablets and e-readers are really two different animals.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I have an iPad, Blackberry Playbook and Samsung Tab. I never use my iPad but always use my Playbook. Why? Because it is 7" and fits nicely into my purse. The hardware is so much better than the Samsung Tab. Also, I can connect it with my blackberry and use my blackberry phone plan (which is covered by work). Steve Jobs used to be against 7" iPads but who knows now.

On the ebook readers, I have the Sony T1 and use Calibre for eBooks management.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial...I am glad you love your Touch! I am going ahead and ordering it now!

Yes, I agree, Charmy, that a 7" tablet is much more portable than an Ipad. I guess it would be great to have both!!! :))

Haven, I have visited Goodreads before and did recently look at some of their best books lists! It is a good resource!

MGR..have you decided on a cover yet? I think it is hard to choose with the many different options! Thanks for letting me get a little off topic on your thread!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a Kindle touch for Christmas, I havent had a chance to figure out how to use it yet :wacko: I am interested in finding out how to "borrow" books from the library....I have to do some research and try to figure out how to use the thing...I really read alot so I am thinking this will be a really good thing.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have a kindle cover from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/dobeeubags . I have the Pearl River fabric which my mom loves and wants to use to cover pillows! My case was made for a Kindle 3, but my Fire fits into it as well (only had it for a few hours, so I can't make any claims beyond fitting!).

I've loved my Kindle. So far I'm having fun with the Kindle Fire. To me, they're totally different things and I see a place for both!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this one through Groupon for $14.99 until I have a chance to get out and look around. It has a stand which could come in handy but I doubt it will be my last one. I ordered two books yesterday from Amazon and I just love this Kindle Fire. I love the fact too that you can change the font size and make it easy to read even without reading glasses!

Blue-Harbor-LLC-_Kindle-Fire-Case2_grid_6.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results