shape
carat
color
clarity

KIA and Hyulndai POLL

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Have you/ would you buy a KIA/ Hundai?

I have no opinion. I would have said "no" but the Japanese brands have slipped in quality in various ways, some minor and some ridiculously serious, so now I don't know what to think.

I would have thought IF ANY car people would be interested in banging it back together it would be my Honda- they run forever- I guess on a small tropical island the market for EVERYTHING is WARPED. If there are only 150,000 and you live on an island in the middle of nowhere- you kind of take what you can get and businesses- large and small- know it.

Ok, I won't do an official poll, but these are my questions:

1) I have bought a KIA or HYUNDAI. I love it. I would do it again.

2) I bought a used KIA or HYDAI. I love it. I would do it again.

3) I have never bought one but I would.

4) I have never bought one but I would not.

I might very well have to look at used cars (I have nothing against doing that) but people here with good used cars think they're selling ice to people in hell who want ice water so no the used market car market is no more fun than the knew car market.

Did I tell you have the $4,000 "dealer mark up fee" that 7 YEARS AGO make the least expensive Hyundai over $17,000? I asked for a brochure because it was a friend of mine who was interested in buying a "cheap" new car. Then I said, "$17,000 for the least expensive Hyundai?" and laughed in the salesman's face.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for #4 (I have not and would not buy one).

I've known people who have owned Kias and Hyundais and have liked them, but I'm a Toyota girl. I could be wrong, but I just don't think Kias and Hyundais are among the highest-rated in terms of longevity and safety. I think Hyundai has a better reputation that Kia but I still don't think I'd choose to buy either one.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I bought a used Hyundai back when I was in college and still drive it to this day. It has 215,000 miles on it and we have had no major issues with it--the only time we've had it in the shop is for general maintenance. I would buy another (used) Hyundai hands-down if/when this one ever gives up on us.

We also have a Jeep and the Hyundai is by far a better vehicle. It's going to be a sad, sad day the day we have to retire our Hyundai. It's like a member of our family.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I also bought a used Hyundai as my first car, I still drive it and it's been great. It will for sure be on my top list if I need a new car in the future

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a car last week. Narrowed our list down to a Honda Fit, Toyota Prius, or Kia Forte. We got a great deal on a Prius so that's what we got, but we were very very close to getting the Forte. They come with great warrantys which are transferrable to a second owner if you buy used, and have gotten very good safety ratings recently. The forte has great reviews for city car, which is what we were looking for (we live in NYC).

We rode in a cab last night that was a Hyundai Genesis and I don't know what the ratings are like for it, but it was very nice and super comfortable!

My niece drives a Hyundai elantra and loves it. Very reliable for her.

So yeah, I guess I am #3.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents bought a new Hyundai Elantra about 7 years ago because of the price and warranties. They have not had a single problem with the car, knock on wood. :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
#3....but i'm a real honda woman and have been now for some years..... given circumstances, i wouldn't hesitate to buy a hyundai...perhaps not a kia, though.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for #1 - I bought a new 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT and, hands down, it has been fabulous - reliable, comfortable, versatile with the hatchback - came with leather interior - the only extra I splurged for was a moon roof, and that cost was split with dealership. No mechanical troubles EVER. Great mileage, great for local transpo, great for long distance. My Elantra GT also accommodates tall people surprisingly well (handy for DH and FIL). I did do a lot of research for this purchase, and I tell DH all the time it was the best purchase decision I've ever made - I plan to drive it to its grave. It was a SoCal car for the first 7 years but has been in NYC the last 2 years - made the transition from West Coast to East Coast beautifully.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
#4-I'm a Toyota and Subaru fan and wouldn't buy anything else. I just see Kia and Hyundai and think that they're bad quality. My best friend in high school drove a tiny Hyundai hatchback and it was terrible-always breaking!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the 80's Hyundai brought their first car to the US, which was the excel. Rodney King drove that car, and the police said he was speeding. All the Koreans I knew shook their heads because we all knew the car wasn't capable of going more than 40 mph without falling apart. :cheeky:

So yeah, back then, Hyundai had a terrible reputation. But that was over 20 years ago and they've come along way. The Koreans are trying to compete with the Japanese car makers, but they don't have the long reputation, so they often have to compete by price (this doesn't mean they are cheap cars - pricewise, but just more cost effective for the same car of its class.

Hyundai is an important brand for Korea. It's not just cars (although I don't think everything with the brand name Hyundai are under the same company roof). While like any car manufacturer, there are problems (and definitely have been QC issues in the past), they are trying to turn out a good product.

That being said, I buy Ford and Subaru. :bigsmile:

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I'm in group 4. We sold our car recently when we moved into the city (a BMW 3 series) but if I were to buy a car for myself it'll be another BMW.

ETA: Although I always tell DH that the KIA commercials are so catchy it always makes me want to buy one - in which he adamantly replies over "his dead body."

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
one of my friends who I help out on big projects clients is a car dealer who has over 15 lots and sells pretty much every brand.
The least busy repair shops compared to how many are sold last year are Lexus/Hyundai/KIA/Ford/Toyota(post recall)/Honda
In that order.
Now that the recall work is done on Toyota, the busiest is my sentimental favorite... Dodge/Jeep....
The rest are somewhere in the middle.
Shockingly BMW is close to the worst.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Sonota and I really like it. It is a 2008 and we haven't had any issues with it. It is comfortable, decent mpg, and fun to drive. I would buy one again for sure.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Actually Kia and Hyundai both have pretty high ratings in terms of overall safety and reliability from Consumer Reports. The Hyundai Elantra is a 'recommended' buy (any after '06 have all red from CR, which is great), as is the Kia Forte. I have been looking at buying a nice run-around-town kind of car, and I would buy either of those vehicles in a heartbeat.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry for your predicament Danny. It's a whole other ballgame when you live on an island! We had a Hyundai in the 90's. It was fine. Yes, if I was in your circumstances, I would buy one again. I don't know anything about KIA's though. I think Hyundai is better liked in general. Good luck.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra|1327343986|3109715 said:
I'm sorry for your predicament Danny. It's a whole other ballgame when you live on an island! We had a Hyundai in the 90's. It was fine. Yes, if I was in your circumstances, I would buy one again. I don't know anything about KIA's though. I think Hyundai is better liked in general. Good luck.

I think they are one and the same now...Hyundai-Kia motorcompany, although that doesn't mean that one isn't better quality than the other.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have never bought one and I won't. I prefer hydraulic suspension and brakes and I enjoy elegant engineering. That leaves me with a choice between Rolls Royce and Citroen. I prefer French cars and don't want to sell a kidney, so the Rolls is out. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hell to the no. Never. They've made strides, but I came from the car industry and my company did tons of quality surveys and quality tests on vehicles to compare to other research companies. And they need to make more MAJOR strides before I would ever consider them. We found them to be overpriced and very unreliable. They come with such a warranty for a reason.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We bought a KIA and are very happy with it. Best warranty out there.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No. Never. #4. Rented a Hyundai for a month in Cali, and that was enough, thanks.

cheers--Sharon

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
purselover|1327339093|3109653 said:
I'm in group 4. We sold our car recently when we moved into the city (a BMW 3 series) but if I were to buy a car for myself it'll be another BMW.

ETA: Although I always tell DH that the KIA commercials are so catchy it always makes me want to buy one - in which he adamantly replies over "his dead body."

Seriously? The Hamster commercials? I know a few people in the company that worked on those and they even say that the commercials are horrible. Who are they trying to market to with Hamsters dancing to bad pop music?

Honestly, we're going to be in the market for a new car and I had not considered either, but now I'm thinking maybe to give Hyundai a shot based on this thread. We were going to look at Mazda, Toyota, and Honda.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I am biased because we own 3 Kia Sorento's - 2 1995's and my 2011. My DD owned Sportage. They are all great reliable cars and we have not had any troulble with any of them. Well except for my electric start, my key remote was funky, would not start my car twice they relpaced it with no issues.
THey do have a very safety rate and the warrantee is great. My sister and BIL own 2 Kia dealerships and one Hyundai , and NO we did not get any deals!!!
We were Toyota folks before, had a CAmry from 1987 that the kids drove into the ground and we sold in 1997! Still doing well ,we see it now and then! We also owned another Camry and a Toyota Previa for years.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know absolutely nothing about either one so I don't really have an opinion. I don't even know anyone who drives either brand.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I have an 05 Kia Sorrento. It has 85K miles on it and not a problem one. It's been a great car. I've never owned a Hyundai, but I've driven the Sonata many times as a rental car and I love it. In fact, I just told DH that other day that I really don't need an SUV and with it being 7 years old, I'd like to start nosing around for a new car, a sedan this time. I'd LOVE a Sonata.

I drove the Hyundai Genesis last year as a rental and that is one powerful car. My understanding is that it was developed to compete with some mid-range BMWs. It is very, very nice. I think it starts at around $35K.... I would never have believed anyone ten years ago that Hyundai would have a car on the "high end' market.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I personally don't own either but my parents have a Hyundai and a Kia.. My dad has always been a mercedes or a truck guy. He bought a Kia Sorrento a few years ago to save gas while having to drive long distances.. It has been such a great car that my mom sold hers and took over the Kia :devil: He then sold his mercedes and bought a Hyundai Genesis and absolutely loves it. My dad has always been a car snob so we all gave him such crap when he bought the Kia and Hyundai.. But him and my mom love both of the cars and haven't had any problems with them.

I haven't been in the Hyundai much so I can only vouch for the Sorrento.. It doesn't have the same amenities as nicer cars (heated seats, etc) but it's nice and sturdy inside.. They do have a crazy warranty and they haven't used it on this car. My dad had bought a different Kia before though and had to use it several times for various things. Each time, Kia sent a tow truck to pick it up and would drop it back off all free of charge under the warranty.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
I have always been a Honda person. Leased three different Hondas for 3 years at a time. They were great, but hard to tell long term because I did not have them long enough, but I believe they would have been great had I kept them as Honda has a great reputation.

However, when it came time to buy, I had seen the new Sonata and thought it was beautiful, test drove it and found out the new Elantra's were coming out, and decided to wait to see them (wanted to save a bit of money and did not need such a big car). What I saw online for the Elantra was a baby Sonata - so cute! Car came out last April, went to the dealership and bought it. Love it! great drive, great warranty, very happy for the past year. Time will tell though. I get compliments on it every where I go. And, it is the Car of the Year ;))

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/story/2012-01-09/hyundai-elantra-wins/52463788/1

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Elantra and Sonata are made in the US. Gorgeous interiors for the price. I also think the new Accent is very slick looking. In terms of quality, they are really all about the same. Korean cars made in the US, Japanese cars made in the US, German cars made in Mexico....

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
sparklyheart|1327358988|3109920 said:
I personally don't own either but my parents have a Hyundai and a Kia.. My dad has always been a mercedes or a truck guy. He bought a Kia Sorrento a few years ago to save gas while having to drive long distances.. It has been such a great car that my mom sold hers and took over the Kia :devil: He then sold his mercedes and bought a Hyundai Genesis and absolutely loves it. My dad has always been a car snob so we all gave him such crap when he bought the Kia and Hyundai.. But him and my mom love both of the cars and haven't had any problems with them.

I haven't been in the Hyundai much so I can only vouch for the Sorrento.. It doesn't have the same amenities as nicer cars (heated seats, etc) but it's nice and sturdy inside.. They do have a crazy warranty and they haven't used it on this car. My dad had bought a different Kia before though and had to use it several times for various things. Each time, Kia sent a tow truck to pick it up and would drop it back off all free of charge under the warranty.

Actually my Sorrento is an 2011 and does have heated leather seats, not that we use them much here in SW Florida!! Back up camera ( my grandsons favorite show) and all sorts of gadgets GPS sat radio etc.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1327341531|3109687 said:

Actually Kia and Hyundai both have pretty high ratings in terms of overall safety and reliability from Consumer Reports. The Hyundai Elantra is a 'recommended' buy (any after '06 have all red from CR, which is great), as is the Kia Forte. I have been looking at buying a nice run-around-town kind of car, and I would buy either of those vehicles in a heartbeat.

That's good to know. I haven't done much research lately since I'm pretty set on what my next car will be already, but I'm glad that CR gave them good marks.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
All car companies go through cycles.

Volvo used to be cutting edge, these days their rate of tech growth in their new cars and their engine tech is lagging way behind many other companies in their price band - and their models last forever before they update non cosmetic components. So a new Volvo could be new with old tech for example.

Kia and Hyundai used to be crap. Cheap, but ultimately built to a budget. Lately, especially in the past few years, they both have been churning up really really good cars for darn cheap. They've been clocking solid volumes and the build quality, options and tech has been on the up and up. So now is a great time to get into some of them if you were ever interested. For the people in the UK, I think they have some ridiculously good warranty as well which speaks volumes about the company's belief about the car quality.

I've never bought a Kia/Hyundai, due to prejudice about the brand from before when I first got my license, but even I admit that objectively speaking, they have really caught up to the big boys and are ready to stand on their own.

Doesn't hurt that Peter Schreyer the former Audi and Volkswagen head of design (Audi TT anyone?) is at Kia, and Hyundai got Chris Chapman, someone who cut his teeth in BMW, and did many concepts and worked primarily with the X range there. Should have some good stuff coming up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results