shape
carat
color
clarity

Is The Time Change Deadly?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I noticed this with my dog, who is very medication-dependent because she has heart issues. The medications are basically keeping her alive, and without them, she would be gone within a day or two.

I give her the medications at 10 am and 10 pm, almost exactly, every day. She also has another med at 5-6 pm.

Since the time change, I have tried to keep her at this schedule, but her symptoms flare up (coughing, wheezing) at what is now 9 o clock.

SOOOO . . . here's the question; all those people in all those hospitals, are they suffering because their meds are now (according to their bodies) an hour later? Do their meds come an hour early in the spring? Or do all those hospitals/doctors/nurses adjust the med time, like I have?

Have I finally hit upon a good reason to eliminate the clock change (move it up or back by a half hour then leave it alone!)?

Is it potentially deadly? :shock:

Can I write my congressmen, and finally eliminate this clock change scourge?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know the answer to this question, iLander. Are there other countries, other than the US, that does this twice a year? Sure I can Google this but I'm feeling lazy this morning.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I don't know, Chrono. I think so. . .

I know there are a couple of states that don't participate in the time change at all.

I wonder if they live longer there? :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno...Arizona is much too hot and dry for me. :bigsmile: I will shrivel up into a prune within the month.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I've heard that more heart attacks and accident happen the week after the time change. I could be wrong but I seem to remember hearing a news segment on the radio a few years back regarding this.

My dog is such a little creature of habit. I feed her at the same times everyday and she isn't too happy with me this week! She keeps going to the room I fed her in and just sits there looking at me like what the heck is wrong with you. You need to feed me!

I wish they would just pick one time and leave it alone. Preferably the time change that gives us more daylight in the evening!

If Monnie joins in, insist there an area of Indiana that doesn't participate in the time change?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1415376084|3779173 said:
I think I've heard that more heart attacks and accident happen the week after the time change. I could be wrong but I seem to remember hearing a news segment on the radio a few years back regarding this.

My dog is such a little creature of habit. I feed her at the same times everyday and she isn't too happy with me this week! She keeps going to the room I fed her in and just sits there looking at me like what the heck is wrong with you. You need to feed me!

I wish they would just pick one time and leave it alone. Preferably the time change that gives us more daylight in the evening!

If Monnie joins in, insist there an area of Indiana that doesn't participate in the time change?

Well, there used to be. It's complicated and confusing. I grew up in a pocket that did NOT observe DST until forced in 2006. I moved away long before that, but it was always weird to come back home and remember the time was different (had never fallen back or sprung forward).

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/indiana-time.html

My dog takes a week to get on track as well. And children...well, DST throws off everything. I hate it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I'm glad you chimed in. Slight threadjack here. I forgot to tell you how adorable your daughter looked in her Halloween costume. I showed my husband and he started laughing and said that is one cool kid!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think *most* medications give you enough leeway that an hour either way won't make a difference (and I'm on blood thinners, so I've had reason to ask my doctors about this in detail). But I'm betting the time change still puts some stress on the system ... circadian rhythm is nothing to mess around with! I'm in favor of abolishing it, myself.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1415377565|3779197 said:
Monnie, I'm glad you chimed in. Slight threadjack here. I forgot to tell you how adorable your daughter looked in her Halloween costume. I showed my husband and he started laughing and said that is one cool kid!

Thank you! :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1415377810|3779200 said:
I think *most* medications give you enough leeway that an hour either way won't make a difference (and I'm on blood thinners, so I've had reason to ask my doctors about this in detail). But I'm betting the time change still puts some stress on the system ... circadian rhythm is nothing to mess around with! I'm in favor of abolishing it, myself.

Well, that's the question, though, isn't it? My dog appears to have a leeway of about 15 minutes, then she heads down hill. So I dunno, thought I'd ask. And what about pain meds? Some of them exit the system pretty quickly. I agree, most are probably okay, but wondering which ones aren't?

I'm just digging around to find something that will put some weight behind a "let's drop the time change" movement. :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Meds in the hospital that are time sensitive are given on a time between basis not a set time to avoid the problem with time changes.
The only ones that would change are the ones that have to be given with meals and sometimes the meal times are adjusted if needed to keep the time between meds constant.
Before software tracking this automatically time changes did lead to a lot of problems with medications and a lot of confusing for staff.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm behind a Let's Axe DST movement! I hate it. The rationale for it originally was to save electricity but it doesn't turn out to do that. I'm not sleepy at the right time for a good week after the clock changes, and my animals think I'm irresponsible for forgetting to feed them. I really dislike dark mornings when DST starts. I'd love to see the whole idea go away.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I've heard that there are more accidents and deaths around the time change as well. I think the one in the spring is harder to get used to than the fall. I am definitely behind the idea of getting rid of it too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1415378424|3779212 said:
Circe|1415377810|3779200 said:

Well, that's the question, though, isn't it? My dog appears to have a leeway of about 15 minutes, then she heads down hill. So I dunno, thought I'd ask. And what about pain meds? Some of them exit the system pretty quickly. I agree, most are probably okay, but wondering which ones aren't?

I'm just digging around to find something that will put some weight behind a "let's drop the time change" movement. :bigsmile:

I think it might be time to see the cardiologist again. Sometimes they'll switch the medication to 3x a day. Or sometimes its the highest dose possible and that's the most they can do. Very sorry you're going through this. Our Toots was on several 2x a day & 3x a day medications for her last year. (It wasn't heart that took her in the end. She developed two different very aggressive skin cancers which we tried to fight until pain meds didn't help her any longer.)

Re: the time change - I'd do anything to avoid it. Much rather have more light at night than in the am. They started this thing for FARMERS. Geez. How many of them are left really?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another great question that never would've crossed my mind! I don't know the answer iLander, but I agree, your logic, unfortunately makes sense. :-o

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Useless for sure. I'd rather it stay the same. In Canada we have a few places that don't use DST, and I'd much prefer it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I love daylight savings. without it dusk would be around 3:30 in the afternoon, which I think of as lunch time. I dont care if it is light or dark at 5 am, I never see 5 am.
In the late 19th century, before the signal unifying time was broadcast from the Eiffel Tower, every town had its own time and train schedules were a nightmare.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Yes, European Union countries observe the time change - albeit at a different time in the year; last Sunday in October, last Sunday in March. Time change is also observed in lots of other countries as well.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a night owl, I looooove longer days in the summertime. So I'm fine with DST... especially now that I'm retired, and getting to work an hour "earlier" after the spring change is no longer an issue. I do remember that first week of DST being kind of hard, though. ;))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kitties are still crying for dinner at 4 PM (formerly known as 5PM before the switch last weekend). They apparently didn't get the memo about the time change. :wink2:

I wish we would pick a time and stick with it. It's a pain to keep changing in the spring and autumn and it takes my body weeks to get back on schedule re sleeping.

I prefer Daylight Savings Time because I don't mind it being dark in the morning (it's always dark when I wake up anyway Daylight Standard or Savings Time) but I hate it when the day feels like it is over at 4 PM when it is pitch black in the winter. It depresses me and I even bought a lightbox last winter but haven't tried it yet.

Someone told me you have to use the lightbox in the AM as to not throw off your Circadian rhythms but in the morning I don't need it and I need it when it gets dark in the afternoons...anybody know how to use the light box properly?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results