shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it better?

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
To have a gun and never need it, or to need a gun and not have it?

I am a gun advocate. I am thankfull for TX and their common sense gun laws. I have them in my home and car, and my wife and I both have our concealed license. We refuse to be victims. But I hold nothing against people with opinions opposite of mine. I will never be rude, snotty, or snarky with people with opinions oposite of mine. But I hope people answer my question instead of spouting rhetoric. Thanks

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1296161778|2834891 said:

I am a gun advocate. I am thankfull for TX and their common sense gun laws. I have them in my home and car, and my wife and I both have our concealed license. We refuse to be victims. But I hold nothing against people with opinions opposite of mine. I will never be rude, snotty, or snarky with people with opinions oposite of mine. But I hope people answer my question instead of spouting rhetoric. Thanks

CUSO, IMHO your question doesn't work. If given those two choices, I'd pick the first because you're asking: would you rather have nothing happen or have something bad happen? I think the question that makes more sense is:

Which is worse, to need a gun against an invader and not have it, or to have a gun in the house and have an accident.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have a gun and my husband has a gun, we go to the range and shoot for fun. I actually have a 22 so even if I should ever find myself in a dire situation, I never wanted a "shoot to kill" gun.

And, the be totally honest, I think neither of your purposed scenarios is my version of the best case. Personally, my vote goes to never having one and never having the need for one. Actually, it's my experience that most gun owners don't go around preaching the ideals of fire arms.

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
TravelingGal|1296162299|2834902 said:

CUSO, IMHO your question doesn't work. If given those two choices, I'd pick the first because you're asking: would you rather have nothing happen or have something bad happen? I think the question that makes more sense is:

Which is worse, to need a gun against an invader and not have it, or to have a gun in the house and have an accident.

And the typical pricescope twisting of questions BEGINS!!!!!!! :lol:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wasn't "twisting" your question. I was diplomatically trying to participate in this discussion by saying it doesn't make sense from a philosophical point of view, and probably wouldn't spur good discussion. But if you want "typical" PS reaction these days, I'll go ahead and give it to you...

Please stop being the village idiot.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1296162510|2834910 said:

What do you mean? TGal made a fantastic point. Of course, given your choices, I'd rather own a gun and have nothing happen to me - why would I want to have something bad happen? That doesn't make sense. But would I rather have nothing bad happen and have a gun or not have a gun? Well, in that case I'd rather not have a gun.

It's a loaded question which is why it doesn't work - clearly nobody would choose the second option.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I would rather need a gun and not to have it. I think the possibility of harm myself or a love one is a bigger risk. Besides that, I think good security at home, being precautious an cautions are better and stronger ways to defend myself than a gun.

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
Elrohwen|1296162726|2834914 said:

What do you mean? TGal made a fantastic point. Of course, given your choices, I'd rather own a gun and have nothing happen to me - why would I want to have something bad happen? That doesn't make sense. But would I rather have nothing bad happen and have a gun or not have a gun? Well, in that case I'd rather not have a gun.

It's a loaded question which is why it doesn't work - clearly nobody would choose the second option.

If your son or daughter were abducted (in a perfect world it would never happen of course), and I killed the kidnapper and returned your child, would you be happy I had a gun at that moment, or would you have preferred I did not have a gun and let him get away with your child?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1296162870|2834919 said:

If your son or daughter were abducted (in a perfect world it would never happen of course), and I killed the kidnapper and returned your child, would you be happy I had a gun at that moment, or would you have preferred I did not have a gun and let him get away with your child?

Once again, who the heck would pick the second option? You're not starting discussion, you're just trying to get people to agree with you by asking loaded questions.

What's the point?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
cross-bow and machete are my preferred weapons. if they invade my house to harm me, they will suffer.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Elrohwen|1296162946|2834921 said:

Once again, who the heck would pick the second option? You're not starting discussion, you're just trying to get people to agree with you by asking loaded questions.

What's the point?

CUSO, I would rather that you don't sick you nose and your guns where they not belong. I would rather to have the police working on it. I would not want you as a civilian risking the life of my child.

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
TravelingGal|1296162693|2834912 said:
I wasn't "twisting" your question. I was diplomatically trying to participate in this discussion by saying it doesn't make sense from a philosophical point of view, and probably wouldn't spur good discussion. But if you want "typical" PS reaction these days, I'll go ahead and give it to you...

Please stop being the village idiot.

:lol:

But seriously, the question didn't make sense. No one would have answered it, as it was. Tgal said it in the nicest way possible.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
gaby06|1296163141|2834929 said:
CUSO, I would rather that you don't sick you nose and your guns where they not belong. I would rather to have the police working on it. I would not want you as a civilian risking the life of my child.

Ditto! Vigilantism is not the answer.

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
Elrohwen|1296162946|2834921 said:

What's the point?

The problem is mot answers seem to be of the idealistic sort, rather that realistic. Of course I would much rather not have on and never need it, but that is not reality. You are assuming the world is perfect and there is no crime. Well there is, and I just want a realistic answer vs. and idealistic answer. Ideally nobody would have a gun because nobody would ever need it. I know this.
What you are saying is you dont have a gun and hope you never need one, well that is fine. But that is the same as needing one and not having it, which is equally fine. But you can sleep better knowing if someone were hurting/raping/abducting you, I yould not hesitate terminating the persons life who was doing it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen|1296163277|2834934 said:

THIS!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love funny questions.

My favorite is, "How would you like it if Hitler killed you?"

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
Elrohwen|1296163277|2834934 said:

Seriously, to be clear I dont go looking to fight crime, but if I simply came accross and abduction/rape/assault, and no police were arround would you not want me to take action. I mean If I saw you being raped and nobody were arround and I had a gun, I dont care if you said dont shoot, I would kill your assailant

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1296163546|2834941 said:
I love funny questions.

My favorite is, "How would you like it if Hitler killed you?"

More along the lines of the original question would be:

Would you prefer that Hitler just showed you some of his watercolors, or have Hitler make a reservation for you at Dachau?

But I'll take the bait. My answer is the odds are someone raping/killing me are slim. I would rather choose not to live my life in fear.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer well trained dogs. :lol: German Shepherds come to mind. (How's that for question twisting?)

No, seriously, my husband owns guns and is a former marine. The thing is, the guns are locked up, unloaded and all have trigger locks, so they're useless if he ever needs one. He keeps a baseball bat under the bed.

We have children in the home.

If I have to choose between your scenarios, I'd rather not have blood on my hands, but only if the fight involves *just me.* If I have to protect my children, then I'd rather have the gun.

ETA: I just realized that I answered the question incorrectly! LOL

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The police are not fans of people trying to help with guns. My brother is one. In his department, miraculously only 5 people have been killed in the line of duty. None of them by a criminal. One of them was shot by a civilian with a gun who was attempting to "help."

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
But I'll take the bait. My answer is the odds are someone raping/killing me are slim. I would rather choose not to live my life in fear.[/quote]

And that is absolutely cool. A great way to live. Most feel the same way, I am sure. I dont really fear anything for myself, just nice to know I can deal with stuff if it comes up. It really makes me feel a lot better knowing my wife is packing though. But weather you do or dont, to each their own.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you rather have a gun you never need, or have your child killed in a gun accident?

These questions can be so much fun. :roll:

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
TravelingGal|1296163776|2834949 said:
The police are not fans of people trying to help with guns. My brother is one. In his department, miraculously only 5 people have been killed in the line of duty. None of them by a criminal. One of them was shot by a civilian with a gun who was attempting to "help."

Not true in my neck of the woods, at the local town hall meetings, they advise that they think everyone should own a gun.,

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1296163876|2834952 said:
But I'll take the bait. My answer is the odds are someone raping/killing me are slim. I would rather choose not to live my life in fear.

And that is absolutely cool. A great way to live. Most feel the same way, I am sure. I dont really fear anything for myself, just nice to know I can deal with stuff if it comes up. It really makes me feel a lot better knowing my wife is packing though. But weather you do or dont, to each their own.[/quote]

I'll tell you where there are better odds...

Me and my husband pissing each other off and shooting each other.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you rather be run by fear, or rationally consider the odds?

It's ironic but I think the people with the most fear are the ones who get guns.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1296163438|2834938 said:
The problem is mot answers seem to be of the idealistic sort, rather that realistic. Of course I would much rather not have on and never need it, but that is not reality. You are assuming the world is perfect and there is no crime. Well there is, and I just want a realistic answer vs. and idealistic answer. Ideally nobody would have a gun because nobody would ever need it. I know this.
What you are saying is you dont have a gun and hope you never need one, well that is fine. But that is the same as needing one and not having it, which is equally fine. But you can sleep better knowing if someone were hurting/raping/abducting you, I yould not hesitate terminating the persons life who was doing it.

Trust me, I won't sleep better knowing you're running around with a concealed weapon.

And I'm not being idealistic - I'm just saying that nobody is going to prefer to be assaulted over owning a gun, so it's a pointless question. Not owning a gun doesn't automatically mean I will need one. If I am in a situation where I need one and don't have it, I will accept that I took the (completely calculated) risk of not carrying one. FWIW, I think the risks involved in carrying a loaded weapon at all times outweigh the risks of not owning a gun. If I ever did own a gun, it would be locked up without ammo and therefore useless in an emergency.

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1296164066|2834958 said:

It's ironic but I think the people with the most fear are the ones who get guns.

Seriously Kenny, why you jacking me? Have I been nasty to you or something?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1296163940|2834955 said:
TravelingGal|1296163776|2834949 said:

Not true in my neck of the woods, at the local town hall meetings, they advise that they think everyone should own a gun.,

Wait. The COPS where you live say everyone should have a gun?

I CALL BULL. No cop of any worth would say that. Sorry.

Do you live in the backwoods, perhaps? Nice watch for someone who does. :tongue:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CUSO|1296164211|2834960 said:
kenny|1296164066|2834958 said:

Seriously Kenny, why you jacking me? Have I been nasty to you or something?

Sorry, not at all.
It is just that, like others have said, the way you phrase your questions is absurd

I like that you are not like everyone else here.
This place has a hideous problem with group think and other personalities are just what the doctor ordered.

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
And I'm not being idealistic - I'm just saying that nobody is going to prefer to be assaulted over owning a gun, so it's a pointless question. Not owning a gun doesn't automatically mean I will need one. If I am in a situation where I need one and don't have it, I will accept that I took the risk of not carrying one. FWIW, I think the risks involved in carrying a loaded weapon at all times outweigh the risks of not owning a gun. If I ever did own a gun, it would be locked up without ammo and therefore useless in an emergency.[/quote]

Thank you, excelent opinion. Exactly what I was looking for. Good point and an explaination of why. Great

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results