shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone else NOT in the holiday spirit?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1354815461|3324483 said:
Well, I'm not in the mood. And you know what? I blame YOU! Yes YOU! I blame ALL Y'ALL for my holiday mood. Espcecially Kenny.

;))

Seriously, lot's of reasons. I no longer like to shop. I'm tired and my house is really too small to decorate without having to put half of it AWAY to get room for decorations. Most of my family is dead or gone from here. It looks like Oklahoma - which is experiencing drought that puts the dustbowl rainfall levels to shame - isn't going to get anything resembling winter AGAIN this year: it's bloody hot for December. I really haven't been able to even get out a sweater. My husband's job is killing him and HE isn't a Christmas guy, and I find the whole thing just a bit depressing.

I used to enjoy this time of year, but situations and people change, and I don't see any reason to force a cheerfulness I simply don't feel. I read once that it was odd that in western culture, we pressure, if not insist, that people be OUT there and being frantically family and party and gift-y and decorate-y, when the natural world (and probably our own rhythms) make it the quietest, most introspective and inward time of the year. I think I'm going to go with the flow and not fight the power-down.

I understand the feeling. I do. That's why I try to keep my Christmas as quiet and stress free as possible.

Yes, I decorate. But I don't over-decorate. The whole house is not a holiday showcase.
Yes, I bake. But that's to feel close to my Mom, who passed in 2003. The recipes are hers. And cookies make great gifts.
Yes, I listen to the music. But it's quiet and simple. Until the week of Christmas. Then I'll fa-la-la-la-la along with everyone else.
Yes, I shop. But for two children chosen from our church's Angel Tree. DH and I go all out . . . for them.

I would rather we all either observe religious customs, or family traditions, or cultural traditions as opposed to forced cheer and shopping as a power sport.

I avoid what I don't care for, and embrace what makes Christmas special for me. And, yet, I still feel a bit of dread when the holiday season begins. It has become something to get through, rather than something to anticipate. And, I don't think it has a thing to do with losing our child-like wonder.

I'm gonna blame Martha Stewart.
And Wal-Mart.

There, I said it.

;))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Christmas tree on list for this weekend. Returned fake tree last weekend.

Cat is more excited than anybody. He's somehow figured out which gift bags are his (he's a black cat, so that explains it, at least to me :) ) and he keeps knocking on the bag with his new collar to hear the little bell inside the bag. It's weird. He also rubs on the new "stick with furry bit" toy, it's all wrapped up with no exposed parts.

There are about 40 bags there. How does he know which are his? :shock:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1354838428|3324913 said:

Cat is more excited than anybody. He's somehow figured out which gift bags are his (he's a black cat, so that explains it, at least to me :) ) and he keeps knocking on the bag with his new collar to hear the little bell inside the bag. It's weird. He also rubs on the new "stick with furry bit" toy, it's all wrapped up with no exposed parts.

Really?
One way of another, he thinks they're all his.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1354837968|3324903 said:
ksinger|1354815461|3324483 said:
Well, I'm not in the mood. And you know what? I blame YOU! Yes YOU! I blame ALL Y'ALL for my holiday mood. Espcecially Kenny.

;))

Seriously, lot's of reasons. I no longer like to shop. I'm tired and my house is really too small to decorate without having to put half of it AWAY to get room for decorations. Most of my family is dead or gone from here. It looks like Oklahoma - which is experiencing drought that puts the dustbowl rainfall levels to shame - isn't going to get anything resembling winter AGAIN this year: it's bloody hot for December. I really haven't been able to even get out a sweater. My husband's job is killing him and HE isn't a Christmas guy, and I find the whole thing just a bit depressing.

I used to enjoy this time of year, but situations and people change, and I don't see any reason to force a cheerfulness I simply don't feel. I read once that it was odd that in western culture, we pressure, if not insist, that people be OUT there and being frantically family and party and gift-y and decorate-y, when the natural world (and probably our own rhythms) make it the quietest, most introspective and inward time of the year. I think I'm going to go with the flow and not fight the power-down.

I understand the feeling. I do. That's why I try to keep my Christmas as quiet and stress free as possible.

Yes, I decorate. But I don't over-decorate. The whole house is not a holiday showcase.
Yes, I bake. But that's to feel close to my Mom, who passed in 2003. The recipes are hers. And cookies make great gifts.
Yes, I listen to the music. But it's quiet and simple. Until the week of Christmas. Then I'll fa-la-la-la-la along with everyone else.
Yes, I shop. But for two children chosen from our church's Angel Tree. DH and I go all out . . . for them.

I would rather we all either observe religious customs, or family traditions, or cultural traditions as opposed to forced cheer and shopping as a power sport.

I avoid what I don't care for, and embrace what makes Christmas special for me. And, yet, I still feel a bit of dread when the holiday season begins. It has become something to get through, rather than something to anticipate. And, I don't think it has a thing to do with losing our child-like wonder.

I'm gonna blame Martha Stewart.
And Wal-Mart.

There, I said it.

;))

Well, Wal-Mart IS The Great Satan after all. ;))

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
And Martha Stewart is our guide Beatrice.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1354838428|3324913 said:

He's a black cat = 10X smarter than cats of other furry shades. Mine is black too, and he understands what we are saying. My husband doesn't believe me, but my kids did hear the cat respond to a comment once that was SO obvious that our kitty knows English.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
iLander! That is soooo cute! :) :love:

The more I volunteer and do things for charity, the more in the spirit I feel! I don't feel pressured by society or stores to shop - i feel the spirit in my heart. It's about giving, but not necessarily the type of giving Walmart wants. :cheeky: It's easy to get caught in the craziness, so I could my blessings.

I just set up two jewelry auctions on FB for local dog rescues and am spreading the word so we get lots of bids! 100% of the proceeds are going to the rescues and going through the "Happy Tails! Adopted" albums to post success stories is warming my heart! We're also going to drop off some unwrapped toys for the kids, the police department always has a great program going! :appl:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1354839233|3324931 said:
And Martha Stewart is our guide Beatrice.

Apt. Both of them boooringly perfect.

I got bored on the first few pages of Paradiso, and put it down. Inferno and Purgatorio were so much more fun. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results