shape
carat
color
clarity

Irresponsible Pet Owners!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 4:43:01 PM
Author: Haven
Date: 1/21/2010 4:25:08 PM

Author: CellarDoor

Are pit bulls not allowed in your area? Maybe that is why he was hesitant to take it to the vet, I think that in my area if animal control takes in any dog that they even think might be a pit, they just put it to sleep right away. It was very brave to approach that dog, I''m pretty scared of pits. I took my little 7 pound mutt to PetSmart a few weeks ago and some lady came in with two pits on leashes. She could barely restrain these dogs as they barked and growled at my little puppy, licking their lips like she was a treat. Three employees came running out to keep those dogs away. I picked my dog up and she was so scared that she pooped on me.

Pits are a very misunderstood breed. They''re powerful, so they can be trained to be fighters, but in the hands of a responsible owner they can be the sweetest, most loving dogs. We currently have a pit mix and I''ve never had a more affectionate, eager to please dog in my life.

That woman with out of control pits should be ashamed of herself. It''s people like her that give the breed a bad name.

Agreed. It''s usually the owner that doesn''t know how to handle the bred. People just think "oh I love how this dog looks" and think nothing of their inherited traits. Are they a working dog, a lap dog, a guard dog? It''s just aggravating how little research put into finding a dog that fits in with their family.

My coworker has three pittbulls... mom, dad and baby. They are so sweet and playful. It just takes the right kind of owner.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Just got back from knocking on the door...no answer but lights were on inside...

I feel badly for not taking the dog to the vet myself...had it been a normal "work from home" day I would have...but with a little kid in toe it complicated my situation. I didn''t want the 5 year old to see the blood and become scared, and if the dog had been stunned at first and vicious later...well, that would have been awful. So needless to say, I have some regrets on how things unfolded. I also don''t think we should have handed the dog off like "oh, okay" either...but again, hind sight is 20/20.

I am furious that the owner didn''t answer the door...I saw the lights on, and although I couldn''t see any movement I''m 99% positive they were inside.

I don''t really care about the owner...if he''s involved in something he shouldn''t be, oh well. I only care about the wellbeing of the dog...that''s it. If the dog is hurt and suffering because the owner is "scared" ...
29.gif

I talked to my husband about my plan of offering money for the vet bill...my husband is not a big fan of this idea. He is worried that if there is a serious medical issue and the dog needs surgery we could end up on the hook for thousands of dollars because I "offered". He''d prefer I call Animal Control and give them a heads up on the situation. If it''s a matter of the dog being seized and then needing a sponsor or a foster home...well, he''s open to that situation. I think it boils down to his fear of being scammed. He doesn''t want to write a blank check ... and I can understand that. I offered up solutions, like paying over the phone with my CC...but he''s in the finance industry and explained that, given the opportunity, nothing is fool proof.

I guess I''ll walk back over in an hour or so, after dinner. If there is no answer, I''ll be call AC.

As far as legal pitbulls, I don''t really know the laws. We live in a townhouse without a yard or fences. I''m assuming the dog got out of the house--which does happen. I understand that accidents occur...but it was the careless attitude that triggered my red flag.

I''m keeping my fingers crossed .... I''ll check back soon.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 2:50:13 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Maybe the owner switched him to a Raw Diet
27.gif

Or kept him on a balcony in Canada? How on earth would a dog cut its mouth falling? My folks'' lab has blood on her mouth when she catches birds or finds something dead...she and the cat used to work together, bloodthirsty little devils.

What a day Italia! I hope that the little boy eventually got to school and that his mother is recovering. I personally would never put a child in a home with a dog that was unknown to me. Especially someone else''s little guy that I was responsible for... Then again, every day I look in the eyes of a student whose face was ravaged by a dog that wanted his sandwich. Multiple surgeries later (over 10yrs) he has one slit of an eye and one mostly regular one, with a full nostril. Anyway, in your case, all is well that ends well, it is lucky that this was a good dog and that the owner turned up so quickly, something really awful could have happened.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
omg swimmer! that''s awful!

italia, hopefully your neighbor will answer the door next time but I''m so glad you are planning to call animal control if he doesn''t.

Good luck!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 6:50:14 PM
Author: swingirl

Date: 1/21/2010 2:23:13 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
There is no reason to try and get the owner in trouble because of sheer speculation. If you want to go check on the dog feel free, but there is no reason to call animal control and say that you think the dog is being abused or used as a fight dog (as others have suggested). Who knows why the dog was in that condition? It would be extremely unfair of you to put the owner under fire or even possibly get the dog taken away when you don''t know the whole story.
There is nothing speculative about finding a loose blood-soaked dog. I''ve never seen an animal ''fall'' on the ice and hurt themselves so badly as to be bleeding enough to get covered with blood and saliva. Something is definitely up and in my neighborhood it would be suspicious enough to warrant a call to the police so that they can check it out. Personally, I would not go to a stranger''s house and ask them how their dog is doing. Like they are going to tell you anything other than, ''He must have slipped on the ice.''
I''ve never seen an animal slip on ice either. As far as humans go, most of us who live in colder climates have slipped on ice once or twice. Usually all that results in is a bruised rear end!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 7:43:52 PM
Author: MC

There is no reason to try and get the owner in trouble because of sheer speculation. If you want to go check on the dog feel free, but there is no reason to call animal control and say that you think the dog is being abused or used as a fight dog (as others have suggested). Who knows why the dog was in that condition? It would be extremely unfair of you to put the owner under fire or even possibly get the dog taken away when you don''t know the whole story.

There is nothing speculative about finding a loose blood-soaked dog. I''ve never seen an animal ''fall'' on the ice and hurt themselves so badly as to be bleeding enough to get covered with blood and saliva. Something is definitely up and in my neighborhood it would be suspicious enough to warrant a call to the police so that they can check it out. Personally, I would not go to a stranger''s house and ask them how their dog is doing. Like they are going to tell you anything other than, ''He must have slipped on the ice.''
I''ve never seen an animal slip on ice either. As far as humans go, most of us who live in colder climates have slipped on ice once or twice. Usually all that results in is a bruised rear end!

I''m not some heartless person who doesn''t care if a dog is being abused, ok? I was just saying, it would probably be better for her to go check in herself before she calls animal control which she did. That''s all I was saying.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure how the dog would have fallen on ice...she came to me with a bloodied mouth and blood soaked fur. Beyond what I saw in the moment, it''s all speculation.

But, I will say that the concrete was like a sheet of ice. The dog was older...I''d say 6 or 7...maybe she running and he paws got away from her. She wasn''t limping and didn''t seem to be suffering from anything really obvious--I certainly didn''t check out inside her mouth, or rub her down. I wanted to help the best I could, but she was still a strange dog. If I had done some looking around, whose to say she wouldn''t have gone after me for hitting a sore spot? She was sweet, but she''s also not my dog and I didn''t want to be overly trusting.

I had a moment where I thought the blood was another animals...but she kept bleeding from the mouth...almost leaking. I especially noticed this when she was in the garage...drinking the water would "wash" the blood in her fur by her mouth diluting it to almost a pinkish red, but moments later it would be bright red again, fresh.

I am going back now...I''ll update again later!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 8:16:08 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I am not sure how the dog would have fallen on ice...she came to me with a bloodied mouth and blood soaked fur. Beyond what I saw in the moment, it''s all speculation.

But, I will say that the concrete was like a sheet of ice. The dog was older...I''d say 6 or 7...maybe she running and he paws got away from her. She wasn''t limping and didn''t seem to be suffering from anything really obvious--I certainly didn''t check out inside her mouth, or rub her down. I wanted to help the best I could, but she was still a strange dog. If I had done some looking around, whose to say she wouldn''t have gone after me for hitting a sore spot? She was sweet, but she''s also not my dog and I didn''t want to be overly trusting.

I had a moment where I thought the blood was another animals...but she kept bleeding from the mouth...almost leaking. I especially noticed this when she was in the garage...drinking the water would ''wash'' the blood in her fur by her mouth diluting it to almost a pinkish red, but moments later it would be bright red again, fresh.

I am going back now...I''ll update again later!

Our dog got into the trash once and bit broken glass. She bled for a long time, it was awful. She needed stitches. Dogs get into a lot of things they shouldn''t, so almost anything could have happened. I just didn''t agree with someone saying to call AC and say you think the dog was being made to fight. That''s not right and definitely not fair to the owner.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 7:53:28 PM

I''m not some heartless person who doesn''t care if a dog is being abused, ok? I was just saying, it would probably be better for her to go check in herself before she calls animal control which she did. That''s all I was saying.
hmmm? Is your post in response to me? I''m confused. I was agreeing with you that it seems unlikely that a dog could possibly bleed from falling on ice.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 8:38:47 PM
Date: 1/21/2010 7:53:28 PM

hmmm? Is your post in response to me? I''m confused. I was agreeing with you that it seems unlikely that a dog could possibly bleed from falling on ice.

No no, not your post. The one above.

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
i know it has been said, but i would call animal control NOW.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to pop back in and let you all know that I did call AC.

I knocked again that evening, and nothing...so I called. I''m waiting to hear back....

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 5:30:07 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Just wanted to pop back in and let you all know that I did call AC.

I knocked again that evening, and nothing...so I called. I''m waiting to hear back....
Good for you. It''s their job to check these things out. It could be a dangerous situation or it could be nothing but you shouldn''t have to put yourself at risk.

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
I really hope this dog is OK. I would be worried sick, too. I don''t understand why people get pets if they are not going to take care of them! Of course, this could be an innocent situation (and I HOPE it is), but the nonchalance seems a little disconcerting.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
The poor dog. I hope the situation gets solved.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There were 2 lab puppies running wild in out old neighborhood, and were running toward the VERY busy intersection a block away. I saw them as we were going somewhere, and stoped the car so Dave could run out and get them. We took them to the address on the tag and knocked...noone answered. So Dave opened the gate and put them in the back yard. Suddenly someone opens the door and I tell them their puppies were running in the streets, my husband is putting them back, and they should check their gate for holes. She said "Ok" then closed the door. No thank you, nothing.

On top of it, one of the puppies jumped up on my new car and scratched the crap out of it. So in addition to no thank yous from the selfish and rude owner, I had to fix the paint for doing a good deed.

I wouldnt have given that dog back to the owner I would have called animal control and had them take the dog to make sure it wasnt going home to an absusive owner. A pitbull running the streets unattended is never a good thing in the first place.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 2:34:00 PM

Date: 1/21/2010 2:26:37 PM
Author: YayTacori

I say better safe than sorry. If the owner is innocent, then everything will be cleared up. And everyone can go their separate ways but what if he''s guilty and animals control wasn''t called? THis dog is going to continue to be abused its whole life and can''t tell a single soul.

If she goes and checks and something isn''t right, then by all means call animal control! But I don''t think it''s fair to call Animal Control based on what I just read. Everyone is assuming the dog is abused when it could have been bloody for 1,000 different reasons. If OP will feel better calling animal control that''s fine, but just keep in mind it might also cause problems for a possibly loving owner. Just a different perspective. I certainly am disgusted by people who abuse animals and it should NEVER happen
38.gif

ETA: If it were me I would go over and see it with my own eyes first and get a feeling for the owner and surroundings, then make the call if I felt it was necessary.
Totally 110% agree with this

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Italia - I think you did a wonderful thing. If it were me, I''d probably call animal control, explain the situation and simply say "I''m worried about the dog, and just wanted someone to check to see if they took her to the vet b/c she was bleeding, and he didn''t take her when I was home.) I''m sure they''ll make a call just to check in.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in a similar situation once except I didn''t know who the owner of the dog I helped was. The dog was in shock, had possibly been hit by a car but was standing and all. I nursed it in my garage until the SPCA came to get it. I called a couple of days later to check up on the dog and was told the owners had been located but they had just put the dog to sleep instead of getting medical attention. Just a heads up to a possible outcome you might be facing too. I was saddened and shocked in my case, and actually felt bad for having handed the dog over, but I assumed they would give it medical attention and locate the owner.
7.gif
Hope your story has a better ending. Or any ending I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results