shape
carat
color
clarity

iPhone case recommendations?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday SO and I bought an iPhone 4 for me ($88) and a Lenovo (I think that's IBM?) laptop for both of us to replace our six year old HP desktop (it gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago) on sale ($370- down from over $600!).

I'm enjoying both of them. I want to keep my new iPhone free of abrasions, etc. especially after comparing it to the condition of our old iPhone 3GS. The glass front of the old one actually has abrasions that make it difficult to slide your finger across some parts of it.

Do any of you use cases for your iPhone? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Danny, I don't have a case but I have a film over the glass to prevent finger prints, then I have a 'cover' from gizmobies.com. I found them in a mall in Las Vegas and got a 2 for 1 deal on site, but you can order from a variety of options on their website.

What I also like about this is the material prevents it from slipping off of a shiny surface. It 'sticks', so to speak, when on glass, mirror, granite, etc. and it is somewhat raised that I am hoping it would cushion a blow, should it fall. Have a look!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depend on how much protection you want, Danny. You can go with just the screen cover film, or a case that includes the screen cover. My DH and I went with the second option. We both have Otterbox defender cases. It does add a bit of bulk to the phone, but offers complete protection including from splashes of water. Another one that is highly rated is the Lifeproof case. (lifeproof.com) It has a much
Much thinner profile but offers complete protection. You can even submerge the thing.

I am not a fan of just the screen cover plastic because I found that dirt collects around the little cut outs and that really bugs me.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
I was always a fan of the ifrogz cases, but my brother gave me an Incipio case for my birthday, and I really like it. The part around the front of the phone is a pliable plastic, and the sides and back are a more rigid plastic. The last ifrogz case I had didn't fit well with the screen protector (the fit was too tight, screen protector would pop up around the edges), but the pliable plastic of the Incipio case doesn't cause any problems at all with the screen protector.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
We both have otter boxes his black and yellow, mine black and pink. They have both saved out phones, mine when I accidentally spilled my coffee. It actually made a puddle on top of the phone!! No problems and DH actually left his on the top of the car and drove off! Oops. Only knew it was gone when the Bluetooth voice said disconnected!! Both times perfect phones. It is bulky and my car charger did not fit until DH took a Dremel to the opening. They are worth the money we think.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an iphone 3gs and I have a cover from Uncommon. http://www.getuncommon.com/ They have really nice designs, aren't expensive and slide on rather than clip on. I don't protect the screen but I should.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1324143718|3083508 said:
Yesterday SO and I bought an iPhone 4 for me ($88) and a Lenovo (I think that's IBM?) laptop for both of us to replace our six year old HP desktop (it gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago) on sale ($370- down from over $600!).

I'm enjoying both of them. I want to keep my new iPhone free of abrasions, etc. especially after comparing it to the condition of our old iPhone 3GS. The glass front of the old one actually has abrasions that make it difficult to slide your finger across some parts of it.

Do any of you use cases for your iPhone? What would you recommend?

Thanks!
I am insane about mine. I use a Zagg invisible shield screen protector and a Speck Candyshell hard case. I also keep the whole thing in a little case from a seller on etsy. Links below.:

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-4-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields-b.php
you can get a dry apply version I think at the carrier's store (att or whatever) and possibly also at Best Buy now too. I use wet apply normally though. Im too anal for dry apply.

https://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-4-case/candyshell-for-iphone-4s.html
you can get this at the apple store also. TONS of colors.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78464980/holiday-sale-iphone-case-htc-case-mobile
she can make it for your phone with a hard case--make sure you tell her hard case though so it fits with the speck. Itll be slightly snug at first but loosens up well.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Maisie........great minds think alike. I also have uncommon.com (I have the capsule case) love it! It's sleek, beautiful, I have a cute grey fox on mine and indestructible. Seriously, I've dropped my phone 20+ times, and once, it was on the sofa, I flung the covers off, and it flew all the way across the room and hit the other wall, and slid down to the floor. The phone and case are fine. I used to have a screen protector, and then got annoyed 4 months ago, and took it off. I'm not careful with it AT ALL (i.e I put it in my pocket with car keys everyday, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband destroyed his in about 8 hours keeping his in his pocket with his keys. He peeled the damn screen thing off, and his key just etched the hell out of it. If you're in direct light you cannot even read the screen it's so bad. He would keep it in his front pocket WITH THE KEYS and sat there all day at work with it that way. So the key was just jammed there. I nearly killed him. Insurance doesn't cover that because it's cosmetic.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I have an Otterbox Defender as well. Only thing I dislike about it is that it seems to prevent the phone from 'sensing' that it is at my ear. Without the case, it could sense when I was on the phone and automatically lock the screen. Now, with the case on, it does not - which means that I have to hold the screen away from my cheek or random things will be selected. Once I accidentally called the vet in the middle of a conversation with my DH! :wacko:

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
allycat0303|1324167987|3083712 said:
Maisie........great minds think alike. I also have uncommon.com (I have the capsule case) love it! It's sleek, beautiful, I have a cute grey fox on mine and indestructible. Seriously, I've dropped my phone 20+ times, and once, it was on the sofa, I flung the covers off, and it flew all the way across the room and hit the other wall, and slid down to the floor. The phone and case are fine. I used to have a screen protector, and then got annoyed 4 months ago, and took it off. I'm not careful with it AT ALL (i.e I put it in my pocket with car keys everyday, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

I totally love how the design is etched into the cover so it won't chip off or scratch. This is my cover, its very pretty!

phone.png

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I also have the speck candyshell hard case (like ame), and it has saved my iphone during quite a few flies off the treadmill and subsequent hard landings. it is what both an apple employee and at&t employee recommended to me (separately) as the best case for the iphone 4. it's kind of hard to get off and on at first, but then you get used to it and it's fine :).

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the comments and links! :))

I'm still thinking about it, and in the meantime I am babying my iPhone, I mean just absolutely babying it. When it has to leave the house it gets put in its original box. I carry the box around and the it goes right back in the box when I'm finished using it.

I'm enjoying my iPhone a lot!

I was already using the 3GS for the internet because the computer wouldn't work. I didn't used to like using the iPhone instead of the computer but it got easier as I gained experience and I began to really like the portability.

My iPhone is thinner, faster, and the screen resolution is so much better compared to the 3GS (we looked this up on the other computer tonight- the difference in the technical specifications is dramatic accounting for what I'm actually seeing).

And my iPhone is new- it makes a big difference since the screen most definitely is a functional part of an iPhone.

I was only able to get it because our second line was eligible for an upgrade. I have two choices- really one- live with my iPhone for two years whether it stays in like-new condition or whether it gets scratched up. I guess I'm a typical nitpicking OCD PS'er but I like the fact it's perfectly new and I want it to stay that way! :cheeky:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
They're very nice looking on their own but get a case on that thing ASAP, and if you can a screen protector. I KNOW the Speck works with Zaggs, obviously, and it also works with the ones they sell at the Apple Store "power support" which is a non-glare one. I like the shiny Zaggs.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
atp223|1324260010|3084253 said:
I also have the speck candyshell hard case (like ame), and it has saved my iphone during quite a few flies off the treadmill and subsequent hard landings. it is what both an apple employee and at&t employee recommended to me (separately) as the best case for the iphone 4. it's kind of hard to get off and on at first, but then you get used to it and it's fine :).
Other than my brother, we all have the Speck. My brother has the Otterbox Defender. But he uses that bec he's on construction sites and works in rain sometimes so it's safer. he has a white one for work phone and a black one for his own. (same for the phone itself.)

My husband has destroyed a few Specks bec he won't just let me take it off.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Both my husband and I use the bumpers that Apple makes. I am a very clumsy person. I've dropped my phone on asphalt and came out damage free! The bumper was a little scuffed -- better the bumper than the phone :wink2: !

Initially, I used Zagg invisibleSHIELD in conjunction with the bumper. After six months or so it started peeling up at the edges so I removed it. I've had my phone for over a year, and it remains scratch free. I put it in a separate pocket in my purse/coat/what have you to avoid damaging the screen. My husband never used a protective film. He has one scratch on the face of his phone. He sometimes puts his phone in the same pocket as his keys, yikes!

Overall, no major damage to our phones. The bumpers do need to be replaced though. The rubber portion has separated at the bottom part of the phone by the dock connector on both phones. Also, they both have fine cracks in the rubber from removing the cases.

I'd recommend the bumper if you want protection without much added bulk. Just know that you may only get one years use out of it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
i LOVE those cases but I cannot bring myself to get one. Im far too anxious that my phone AND my ID and stuff would get stolen and all at once.

I have a few of the Specks, I usually use the one in teal I linked above but I have a purple and a black also. I alternate from time to time. I also have a couple of those SeaSideSew pouches too, in various patterns. The Navy one was my favorite but it's like impossibe to find in my abyss of a purse.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ame|1324322158|3084686 said:
i LOVE those cases but I cannot bring myself to get one. Im far too anxious that my phone AND my ID and stuff would get stolen and all at once.

This thought occurred to me too. But DH said that with Google tracking software, you can find your wallet and your phone at the same time. :D

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
True. And while the phone theft here is a felony (street and retail value of the phone), the wallet becomes identity theft I think also. But you have to make the cops actually care enough to do it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ame|1324323078|3084699 said:
True. And while the phone theft here is a felony (street and retail value of the phone), the wallet becomes identity theft I think also. But you have to make the cops actually care enough to do it.

So true. . .

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of protecting iPhones, I have 30 days from the day we bought it to decide if I want AT&T's insurance.

I'm torn. I'd like to have it especially since if my iPhone has "electrical failure" or something else happens to it I can't afford to pay the retail price to replace it but on the other hand our AT&T bill is already outrageous and I don't want it to go even higher. :???:

Did you guys decide to get insurance?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We didn't get insurance, and I'm not sure it would have covered the things that did happen to our phones;

- water damage from walking waist deep in swamp with phone in pocket (this makes it get real hot, BTW :oops: )

-dropping on tile floor and cracking screen

As far as electrical damage, I would just make sure to plug it into a surge protector when it's charging. But the whole computer should be protected anyway, so I'm not sure; what electrical damage could happen? :confused:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have AppleCare+ AND ATT insurance. Mechanical failure or damage I go to Apple. Theft/Loss I go to ATT.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander, I assumed they meant it doesn't turn on or it dies but I don't know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results