shape
carat
color
clarity

Introducing Bug, the Porta Kitten!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK. So we had been planning to go on a little road trip this weekend. But, as I started thinking about it more, I realized our new kitten Bug was just too little to be left alone. He's about 2 1/2 months and eats only wet food, voraciously.

I didn't really think it was fair to ask a cat-sitter to come and feed him two or three times a day. So, we decided to pack him and take him with! He is very, very mellow. Very mellow. When he's not vibrating with energy and bouncing off the walls, of course.

So I popped him in a harness to see what happened. Well, pretty much nothing. Dex (whom I harnessed too, just for fun) rolled over, slunk sideways, and generally shot me woeful, tortured looks implying strongly that I'd broken him. Bug just carried on with the feisting, totally ignoring his harness. So that was a good sign I figured. Dex, in a fit of vengefulness, tried to eat his harness when I took it off him.

Anyway, we put a litter box on the back seat, and his (ohgodsopink) cat carrier on the other, harnessed the kitten, and loaded up. He spent about five minutes poking around, tried to climb on the driver-husband at least a couple times, and then alternated dozing in the footwell and conking out on my lap.

I decided he'd probably been cooped up long enough at about Yakima. We decided to try the cheaper places first, assuming that was the best bet for finding a kitten-friendly place. Luckily we found one on the first try- the Motel 6 was ok with pets.

Behold (below) the ugliest comforter in the entire universe, courtesy of said Motel 6- it almost fried my eyeballs out I must admit. The motel 6 was awesome- DH went to the vending machine at midnight and listened to a hooker and her customer negotiating with the front desk for a room by the hour. Classy! I should add that the aforementioned eyeball-bleeding comforter had the delightful texture of pure, water repellent polyester.

The next morning was the most, er, challenging bit. We headed out and Bug decided to pee promptly. Unfortunately, DH took a hard turn mid-pee, and Bug tipped over and went splat. So we pulled over quick and found Bug crouching miserably in his pee puddle in his litter box, looking like he'd been squashed. Poor Bug! I hauled him out, dried him off and wiped him down, picked all the damp littery bits from between his toes (mmmm) and let him cruise around in the 95 degree heat to dry off. He was fine with everything on the drive except passing cars, those scare him, so the busy parking lot was stressful, especially after I'd toe-washed him. So he wasn't too thrilled. Finally we declared his toes clean enough and took off again.

So, of course, that was a good time for Bug to take a big, squishy poop. DH grabbed him (somehow, while driving a stick) and kept him from landing in his poo, except for one unfortunate foot. So once again there was a mad scramble to pull over and keep the poo-foot from touching anything- which we managed *somehow*- it was quite the adventure juggling poopy kitten, poopy litterbox and traffic and car. And again, poor Bug had to have his little abused foot cleaned, yet again, in a too-busy parking lot. At the end of the fun-kitty-potty hour, Bug was crouched unhappily in my footwell, panting with stress. :(sad

We finally got going again and he recovered immediately, and perked up and dozed in my lap again, occasionally watching traffic upside down. (He apparently thinks that's the best vantage point for viewing *anything* out a window.)

We made it to our destination a few hours later. Guess what it was? Give up? ...My husband is weird. He had, very randomly, decided we *had* to go see this weird concrete replica of Stonehenge, in the middle of absolutely nowhere in Eastern WA. I unloaded Bug, who was happy again, and he took me for a long walk around the Stonehenge thingy. It was 100 degrees when we got there. Bug was totally enjoying himself, poking around, except for this persistent woman who kept videotaping him and wouldn't stop telling us about every single cat she'd ever owned. A cat on a leash, however, is great for avoiding people- Bug basically walked *me* so I was able to finally get away by saying "Whoops! Cat's taking me away, so sorry!"

Everyone was fascinated with kitten-on-a-leash, but luckily most people were polite and just marveled from a distance and left him mostly alone.

We loaded him back up and headed for Portland. He was all worn out after toddling around in the heat, and lap-dozed the rest of the drive.

So, I was kind of worried about finding a place for the night- though we could've driven home easily, worst case- so we took a random chance and pulled up to a nice hotel with valet. The valet said yes, they were pet friendly, no extra kitteh charges. So we got a killer 4-star hotel room for the night at a *great* rate, and Bug was like... oh so thrilled. He apparently has champagne taste- he thought the room was *amazing* and we'd gotten it just for him, and that suited him just fine. He had a couch to play on. Windows to look out of. A bed to bounce on. And best of all, a toilet to study intently. He loves flushing toilets.

After hours of car-dozing he was practically vibrating he was so pent up, and so he spent the whole night levitating, more or less. Mostly on the bed, while chasing toes under the covers. Next morning, it was about a five hour drive home. So we packed up the kitten etc., and headed out. I kept eyeballing Bug knowing he had yet to poop and had eaten his customary giant amount of cat food in the night, so he was fully loaded, shall we say. He, of course, was waiting for juuuuust the perfect moment to bomb his box. Which came on the freeway right after we'd opened some food of our own. We had to pull over on the freeway, but at least this time we didn't accidentally knock Bug into his poo, so that was good.

DH nearly ran us out of gas- he likes to do that, god knows why- but thank goodness he didn't and we made it home a bit ago with one well travelled porta-kitten. I was totally amazed at how portable he was, indeed. And how easy it was to find places to stay with him- apparently, either dive-y motels or super nice hotels are a good chance.

Currently Dex is telling us all about how evil we are for leaving him alone for three days. He's got a lot to say about it. And licking Bug, a lot.

Following, are a ginormous bunch of pictures.

bug6.jpg

bug5.jpg

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If you look at the last picture carefully- you can see why we named him Bug. He has two single white eyebrow whiskers, one on each side, that look like antenna. Cute!

bug9.jpg

bug13.jpg

bug14.jpg

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh how adorable! Are you planning on taking him out to explore again?

You have inspired me to put my kittays in harnesses to see if any of them take to it! I doubt it, but the possible kitty adventures make me want to give it a try. This will probably end in them hating us both.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, Bug is just SO cute, I love him! I was drinking water when I read the line about the comforter frying your eyeballs, and I almost doused my laptop! Love the "faux" stonehenge too! You are so funny LGK, thanks for taking us along on Bug's Excellent Adventure!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Bug is adorable!!! Thanks for sharing your adventures. Love the faux stonehenge :lol:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Such a traveling cat! My cats would not be ok with harnesses (not to mention my 16 lb tabby would need a dog sized harness!)

Glad to hear the trip was a success. And that Stonehenge place is really strange.

I do love those hideous motel 6 comforters. (I stay in one almost one weekend a month for an out of town function. Cheap, animal-friendly hotels work just fine for me and my dog.)

ETA: in 2005, BF and I evacuated due to the threat of Hurricane Rita. We, and the 2 cats, were in the car for 23 hours to get to a city that would have normally been a 4 hour drive. My female cat spend the trip shedding, howling, and panting nervously. Boy kitty, however, decided his time would be best spent sunbathing on the dashboard. Apparently some cats travel better than others! Just thought i'd share.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
He's so cute.

You were NOT kidding about that comforter man. It's HIDEOUS.

We drove cross country with our cats when we moved. We found Holiday Inn Expresses to be quite good about pets. As well as quite a few upper scale places. Surprising but convenient.

Glad you guys had a good time with them. Next time, if you have 70/30 fold down seats fold down the 30 and thread the leash through, put the litterbox in the trunk. Put the cat in the litterbox so he knows where it is and clip the leash to the harness so he can find his way back to the car by following it.

It keeps down the smell. http://images.4psitelink.com/yhst-85270739115037/10034-pid.jpg This is the litterbox we used. It fit in the truck, cut down on the stink and was easy to carry into the hotel room.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Chemgirl, you better believe we'll be taking porta-Bug out for more fun and excitement :naughty: I'm definitely gonna make sure he stays used to being harnessed so I can do it as an adult.

It's funny- I've tried harnessing a number of kitties- even really young ones- and he's the only one who's been fine with it. I still remember trying to harness Rat as a baby and he just tipped over and played dead until I took it off him. And Dex is for *sure* not down with it- there was some definite harness-angst when I tried it on him too!

Chloe- you're serious, the Comforter of Visual Doom is standard issue in motel 6s everwhere? Oh the humanity! :errrr: Wow. It really is... special. Somewhere, I suspect the designer of said comforter is laughing his butt off, after inflicting his creation on the world.

Gypsy, thanks for the tips, for sure. I didn't think of going with a covered litter box but you're right, that would sure cut down on mess and stink too. I'm not sure if the car's seats fold down enough to admit a cat or not... worth trying for sure. The RX8's back seat is weird, there's this huge cubby in the middle of the upper part :confused: it's very strange.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Haha! Giggling away at your story here. What a cute little kitty, and what a truly, truly hideous comforter. Yuck.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
LGK|1314672125|3005065 said:
A cat on a leash, however, is great for avoiding people- Bug basically walked *me* so I was able to finally get away by saying "Whoops! Cat's taking me away, so sorry!"

ROTFL!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is so adorable!! We always take our cats with us now since we have 4 and it isn't fair to leave them with someone. Though truth be told we also just miss them too darn much! Last time we left them was when we went to Italy 7 years ago and we left them with our parents. At the time we only had 2 cats and I know this is going to make me sound crazy but we were gone for 3 weeks and by the last week both my dh and I were missing them so much that I could not wait to get back to them. Crazy I know but 3 weeks was too long for me to be away from them. Now that we have 4 we just take them with us and since we really don't travel far anymore it is easy to do.

Thanks for sharing those photos. Porta-Bug is too cute!!!
Hope you had a great trip!

(PS what is the fascination some cats have with water and toilets? Ours just love watching water though they absolutely hate getting wet LOL. When we first got them they were filthy so we had to bathe them. That was a horror. Hope to never have to go through that again)!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww, bug's a total cutie-pie! loved the story and pictures, you had me laughing (esp. the comforter comment. my eyeballs are burned now too...thanks a heap! ;)) )

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Love the story LGK - and Bug is sooooo adorable. There is just something about Tuxedo kitties. We have one, Moose, who has such a little attitude because he thinks he is so handsome. He and our chocolate lab, Chopper, always travel with us too. They is coming camping with us in Nashville next weekend. I am sure Bug will love futher adventures with you.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a precious kitten! He is so brave! And you should definitely pay a visit to Foamhenge in VA one day! :cheeky:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
You should totally make a blog about the adventures of Porta-kitteh.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, he is soo cute! My cats also love to watch the toilet flush?!? You really have to wonder what goes threw their
little minds some time.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG I love him so much! It must be a black fluffy kitty thing because my Dude was way cool with outings like that. I love kitties like that. And kitties that sleep on their backs inviting tummy rubs.

I'm sorry, but I probably would've been one of those folks that would've talked your ear off about cats. I'm an annoying cat person. :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AWWWWW :love: He's a little ball of fuzz!! What a trip :bigsmile:

Our girl had three white whiskers on one side when she was little. I'm still sad that they fell out and grew back in black, I hope Bug's antennae stay white! They're adorable, as is the rest of him ::)

And so GOOD on a harness, too!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results