shape
carat
color
clarity

Interview clothing for a man

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Dh has applied for an extrmely well paying job, but it is in the blue collar type field. His interview would be with a person that sits in an office working for the government. I know that you are supposed to dress for the job, but what he would wear to work is not appropriate.

If he dresses in a suit they might think that he really doesnt want the job, that he is using it just as a stepping stone to an executive position. If he wears what he would work in ( khakis or jeans and a tshirt with work boots) they may think that he isnt taking it seriously.

I thought dress pants and a shirt and tie, but dont know if this is correct and would hate for him to give the wrong impression because of what I told him to wear.

Has anyone been in this situation? What did you wear?

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Hey there Radiantquest!

I work with a company that does a lot of hiring and recruiting and we advice EVERYONE that is able to wear a suit for an interview. I have never had a manager say a candidate is over dressed and that its a bad thing or an indicator the was using the job as a stepping stone. If your DH doesn''t feel he is comfortable in a full suit there are a lot of other options.

What field is your DH in? When we have someone interviewing for a civil engineering job, or a construction type job we find a lot of those men wear a suit coat/pant combo with a dress shirt but no tie. Basically anyone you would see on a job site may be more comfortable in that dress.

Typically if he doesn''t want to go full suit, I would recommend a sport coat and button up over a shirt and tie with no coat.

My personal 02 cents though is go in a suit. Esp if the person interviewing him is in a government services role. Feel free to ask if you want me to elaborate
35.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Does your husband have any contacts at the firm where he''s interviewing (or even an admin assistant at the company who he''s been communicating with to set up the interview)? If so, perhaps he could ask that person what would be the most appropriate attire.

Good luck to him with the interview!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think business casual is a safe way to go....I was going to suggest nicely pressed dressy khakis, a polo shirt tucked in, and leather shoes. Bring a Navy Blazer just in case the interviewer is very dressed up. Some HR personnel always wear suits.

I found this online:

Specifics for men''s business casual

Ties: Ties are generally not necessary for business casual, but if you are in doubt, you can wear a tie. It never hurts to slightly overdress; by dressing nicely, you pay a compliment to your host. You can always wear the tie and discreetly walk by the room where the function is held; if no one else is wearing a tie, you can discreetly remove yours.
Shirts: Long-sleeved shirts are considered dressier than short-sleeved and are appropriate even in summer. Choosing white or light blue solid, or conservative stripes is your safest bet. Polo shirts (tucked in, of course) are acceptable in more casual situations.
Socks: Wear dark socks, mid-calf length so no skin is visible when you sit down.
Shoes: Leather shoes should be worn. No sandals, athletic shoes or hiking boots.
Facial hair: Just as with interviews: Facial hair, if worn, should be well-groomed. Know your industry and how conservative it is; observe men in your industry if you are unsure what''s appropriate or are considering changing your look.
Jewelry: Wear a conservative watch. If you choose to wear other jewelry, be conservative. Removing earrings is safest. For conservative industries, don''t wear earrings. Observe other men in your industry to see what is acceptable.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would absolutely go with the suit. Even in manufacturing positions where jeans are appropriate every day, a suit is always appropriate to wear for an interview.

If he really feels uncomfortable with a suit, I think a shirt, tie, and jacket would be the next best option.

I think a suit is especially appropriate because he''s interviewing with someone in an office position who would be used to someone wearing a suit at an interview. I don''t think it would be taken in a negative light.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I completely agree with TBJumper. I would rather have an interviewer see me as more serious and respectful than less, KWIM? When I interviewed for my last job, I wore a suit on one of the hottest days of the year, to a nonprofit no less. The people interviewing me were in cute sundresses and sandals. When I was later in the shoes of the interviewer, people who wore suits made a much better first impression than those who didn''t, regardless of gender. In reality, nobody ever wore a suit there unless they had a meeting with a big donor that day, so the suit stayed in my closet about 363 days per year. But nobody ever lost points for taking the interview process seriously.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much guys. He doesnt even own a suit, in fact I think the only time he wore one was at his sisters wedding and it was rented. I would rather spend the money for a nice suit than risk the loss of opportunity. Plus, surely he would have another occasion to wear it. Isnt a suit for a man like a black dress for a woman?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It''s definitely a good idea for him to own a well-fitting suit, even if he''ll never wear it to work. DH and I have nice suits and have never worn them to work for any reason - they''re mostly for interviews and going to weddings (for DH). Though I enjoy splitting mine up and wearing the pants, so your DH might find situations to wear a nice pair of pants (out to dinner or something) without wearing the whole suit. That could give it extra use.

I would get one in navy or dark grey - something classic.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I think that a suit for a man is like a black dress for a woman. I agree with elrohwen that a navy or dark grey suit may be the best choice colorwise since it could be worn for everything and isn''t as formal as a black suit may be. Also it''s better to wear a suit for an interview than to be thought of as not taking the interview seriously by wearing something less than a suit.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Always wear a suit and tie!A simple navy suit can be worn for several years.The suit doesn''t have to be expensive(a $300 suit is fine) if its only going to be worn occasionally.

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Definitely get him to wear a suit and tie. Just make sure it fits properly! Most men wear suits that are far too large, with sleeves that are too long, and shoulders that don't fit at all. The sleeves should terminate as his actual wrist, not covering half his palms. Quite a number of tailors will alter sleeves to fall too low, which then makes the wearer look like a teenager who's still "growing into" his clothes. The fit should be more like the attached picture with some variations depending on body type.

Wow that's a big picture. Sorry!

_5925876.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with a suit -- I''d rather appear over dressed than under dressed in an interview. Good luck to your husband, RQ!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I worked in government for 10 years and hired and I want to see an applicant in a suit. Indicates seriousness to me. Don't ever wear anything that could be described as "casual."

That suit above and posting by delayed reaction, right on the money re fit and tailoring.

If you want your guy to look great in a suit for years and years, more than get your money of out of it, get to a Nordstrom's and in the Men's Department go the guy over 40 who looks great in his suit. He will MAKE SURE you get a great buy, the right color suit and accessories for it and he will oversight the tailor who comes to take the measurements for those free alterations.

You'll wind up spending more at a cheaper place because the suit won't hold up, it will look dated quickly, won't clean as well, and won't be tailored as well as a Nordie's suit.

Good luck and don't forget the second most important thing to do in the interview:

Ask them for the job!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results