color
clarity

"I love you." "Me too."

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 6:29:36 PM
Author: dreamer_d
I say ''Me Too''.

DH tells me he loves me every day and I am not as quick at it to be honest. He accepts it, but he is over the moon when I do make the effort to be more demonstrative.

Fiery, is Mr. Fiery feeling a little insecure and that is why he wants you to say the whole thing back to him? Seems a funny thing to care about unless there is a deeper meaning there.
Sorry dreamer, just saw this. Yes, I think that is part of the problem. He did mention a while ago that whenever I get home from work, I grab DD and give her kisses way before I give him a kiss. He didn''t make a big deal out of it. Just mentioned it and never said it again. I don''t think he''s jealous of DD (as in he resents her...definitely don''t think it''s that). I think he''s just feeling a little left out.

So I''m trying to make sure he feels the love too
3.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Dh and I started something a bit different with this...I never liked saying "I love you, too" let alone "me too." So when one of us says "I love you" the other replies with "I love you." It''s been that way since we first said it, and now, 7ish years later, it''s still how we do it, and I''m glad.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 4:42:13 PM
Author:fiery
Question: when your spouse/SO tells you 'I love you' do you typically respond back with:

I love you.

I love you too.

OR, Me too.

It drives FI crazy that I say 'me too' on the phone. He always says 'you love yourself too? Awesome.'

If I say "I love you" to my dh he responds "I love you "
and vice versa

and sometimes the other person says "I love you more"

Often though we affectionately say "I hate you" to each other in the same way...
9.gif

just something we like to do
3.gif

We do this many times a day... does this make us weird?
41.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When one of us says I love you, the response is always "I love you," "I love you too," or "I love you more." And we''re one of those annoying couples who says it all the time . . . like multiple times a day! We always say it when we''re getting off the phone or when we''re going to be away from each other for a while (like before we leave for work, etc.), and we also say it at random times throughout the day. We don''t care who hears us, so we never say "me too" or anything like that. Honestly, I like that we say it so often . . . I don''t think I''d be OK with not saying it to him and hearing it from him all the time!
1.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
"Love you, too" or "Love you more" are the most common responses.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 5:43:32 PM
Author: 4ever
We say I love you too and I love you more.
Same here! We say it all day long and each time we talk on the phone.

Lori

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 4:51:00 PM
Author: janinegirly
We don''t really say it
emsmileo.gif
..are we the only ones? We both come from families that didn''t really say ''love you'' growing up although it was shown in other ways. So for us it''s said more rarely,i.e. on special occassions. I do make a habit to say it constantly to my LO though. So far she doesn''t say it back but soon hopefully.
emteeth.gif

ETA: I realize I didn''t actuallly answer your question=when one of us actually does say it, the other does say ''love you too''.
You''re not alone, janine!
2.gif
I don''t come from an "I love you" family. It was always expressed through actions, never words. To this day, I don''t have any recollection of my parents ever telling me they love me (they still don''t say it) and I''ve never felt the need to hear them say it, I just know. DH, on the other hand, comes from the opposite end of the spectrum where they all say it all the time. Initially, it hurt his feelings that I wasn''t as verbal about it as he was but now I think he gets it that even though I don''t say it all the time, I still do love him. And like you, I am CONSTANTLY telling my daughters that I love them which is really weird. They say it to me and to my parents as well and I know my parents are constantly taken aback when they hear it from their granddaughters but they oblige and say it back to them!

So to answer the question, when we do say it, the standard reply is "I love you too."

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love you too - the only one in my house who says me too is the youngest child and I am actively attempting to break him of that.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I either say "I love you" or "Me too," and I guess I choose which one to use based on the situation. My husband does the same thing. If we''re around others, we usually go with "me too."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 9:16:18 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I love you too - the only one in my house who says me too is the youngest child and I am actively attempting to break him of that.

Hi Sara,

Now that you mention it my niece who is almost 4 and a half always says "me too" when I say "I love you" to her.
At what age do you think it is appropriate to teach a child not to say "me too" when someone says "I love you" to them?

Melissa

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 4:54:22 PM
Author: thing2of2
We both say ''I love you, too'' back to each other. We actually say we love each other every time we get off the phone with each other. My fam says it a lot so I have no problem saying it.
This is us too - I accidentally said it to someone else once when getting off the phone... oops!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband is way more affectionate than I am, and I suppose his family is more affectionate than mine is overall. My husband and I tell each other several times a day that we love each other, but a lot of times he says it first. Maybe I should work on that more...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
DH and I tell each other we love one another multiple times every day. In fact, if I don''t say it as he''s leaving, he''ll back track to figure out what could possibly be wrong!

As far as kids saying it, our 4 yr old says he loves us multiple times a day too. I''m assuming it''s because he hears us say it frequently. If we say it to him first, he''ll usually respond with "I know." or "you always tell me that!" Sometimes we''ll just be walking through the store and he''ll squeeze my hand until I look down and he''ll grin and tell me he loves me.

It wasn''t necessarily a "learned" behavior for me, but my family NEVER said it. When I was with DH it just came to my mind and I can never keep my mouth shut.

We also say "I like you."

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We say that we love each other often, nearly daily. But I only say it when I''m currently feeling it and not as an automatic response so often the response is "thank you", "okay", or "yes" so that it''s acknowledged that other person heard. If we want to say it back then we both say "i love you too" or "love you too".

If I say, "I love you" and he says "me too!" I say, "Oh you love yourself too?" ;-)

And then he laughs and says either "You know what I mean" or "I love you"

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
We both say "I love you, too" to each other. I came from a family that didn''t say it much as we were growing up, but he came from a family that said it daily. If I''m at work and don''t feel comfortable saying it around my coworkers or so, I just say "Ditto" and he understands that I am around people at work.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Hubby: " I love you... "

Me: " What do you need....? "

;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 10:02:07 PM
Author: Addy
We say that we love each other often, nearly daily. But I only say it when I''m currently feeling it and not as an automatic response so often the response is ''thank you'', ''okay'', or ''yes'' so that it''s acknowledged that other person heard. If we want to say it back then we both say ''i love you too'' or ''love you too''.
We say it many times a day and it is more the words are the reminder than the reminder leads to the words... when we were first married I was so scared one of us would die and so we made a pact that our last words to each other when we parted by phone or in person would be I love you. In those early days saying I love you was a constant reminder of how precious our love was. We didn''t just say it when we parted... now when we are parting the "i love you" is automatic but every time I say it it triggers the feeling I had when we were newlyweds (but back then it was the feeling that triggered the words). We say I love you during the course of the day a few times and it is always with eye contact and a smile. Unless we''re fighting lol I don''t think it is as casual as thank you... not even. But it is very reaffirming. I say it to my children constantly as well. I find it sad that here in China children can go a lifetime without ever hearing these words from their parents. None of the adults I''ve met here have ever heard it from their mom or dad.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We usually respond with "I love you, too" but sometimes DH says "me, too." That doesn''t bother me though.

We say "I love you" many times a day. My favorite is when DH sends me a random text or email or leaves me a note during the day to say something cute just because. Just today he wrote me a text message that said something along the lines of "I love you so much and can''t imagine life without you." I responded with "Awww, Honey. :)"

Later he told me he was listening to "Mandolin Rain" and it made his stomach feel empty to think about life without me. I like that he thought about me and then let me know by sending me a little note.

THE BEST, though, is that he does a million little things every day that *show* me how much he loves me. He could never say "I love you" again but I''d still know he does.

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
"Love you too." We say it quite often. As someone else said, it''s a learned behavior- it didn''t come naturally to me.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
It''s either just "I love you", "I love you too" or "I love you more" (and, of course, there are usually some mushy nicknames thrown in there as well).

It''s one of the first things we say to each other in the morning, and we say it throughout the day as well. I do not come from an "I love you" family, but I have absolutely no problem telling my husband just how I feel about him
9.gif
30.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 4:45:50 PM
Author: heraanderson
I say, ''I love you too.''
I do as well.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
We are an "I love you." "Love you, too" couple. DH didn''t grow up in a family that says "I love you" very often, but I did. I say it when I''m getting off the phone with really any family member. DH now is comfortable saying it first, and if for some reason I hang up the phone before I''ve said, "love you" back to him, he will actually text me and say, "umm, LOVE YOU, TOO!" And he says it at work.

We also say I love you before going to work in the morning. Whomever leaves first comes into the bedroom to kiss the other goodbye. And also kiss goodnight and say I love you before going to sleep.

Its very important to me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We say it all the time. My parents always said it to me, and I said to them and still do every time I talk to them or see them. SO and I say it pretty frequently, or we''ll sign emails "less than three" or "<3", that kind of thing. Life''s too short, you never know what can happen or how quickly you can lose someone, so I don''t feel weird for saying it all the time. A few years ago I felt differently but have learned that there is no need to be stingy with affection or expression of love.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 10:14:07 AM
Author: monarch64
We say it all the time. My parents always said it to me, and I said to them and still do every time I talk to them or see them. SO and I say it pretty frequently, or we''ll sign emails ''less than three'' or ''<3'', that kind of thing. Life''s too short, you never know what can happen or how quickly you can lose someone, so I don''t feel weird for saying it all the time. A few years ago I felt differently but have learned that there is no need to be stingy with affection or expression of love.
Yes, I think about this quite often as well. God forbid something should happen to my husband or I, I would like to know the last words I said to him were "I love you". And now I''ve got tears in my eyes
20.gif
I''m so mushy!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s "I love you" than the standard response is "I love you, too."

However, instead of "I love you." One of us will usually just say "Love and such." And the other will say "And such." I don''t know how it started. We use that most of the time. Especially when getting off the phone:
ME: "Okay, I''ll see you when you get home. Love and such."
HIM: "And such."

Sometimes we do that little bit from "The Hearbreak Kid" where one of us will say "I love you" and the other says "love, love, lovelovelove love." And we just kind of trail off.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2010 10:20:01 AM
Author: lilyfoot

Date: 6/23/2010 10:14:07 AM
Author: monarch64
We say it all the time. My parents always said it to me, and I said to them and still do every time I talk to them or see them. SO and I say it pretty frequently, or we''ll sign emails ''less than three'' or ''<3'', that kind of thing. Life''s too short, you never know what can happen or how quickly you can lose someone, so I don''t feel weird for saying it all the time. A few years ago I felt differently but have learned that there is no need to be stingy with affection or expression of love.
Yes, I think about this quite often as well. God forbid something should happen to my husband or I, I would like to know the last words I said to him were ''I love you''. And now I''ve got tears in my eyes
20.gif
I''m so mushy!
Haha--I''m the same way. Tough exterior but totally squishy innards here.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I was pondering this thread and I remembered that my parents actually told me, "if you say ''I love you'' too much, it means nothing." That was always weird to me, but especially after having children. I wasn''t told "I love you" past the age of maybe 5-6. It was at the same time when I was told to stop kissing my parents before bed.

Recently, my mom has taken to saying "I love you" when I leave her house. It''s weird and often I act like I don''t hear her. The funny thing is, I think my little boy is the one who taught HER to say it. He will stand at her side until she bends down for a kiss and hug and an "I love you."

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 5:34:28 PM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 6/22/2010 5:20:58 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
As the hypercompetive couple, our standard response is ''love you more''.

Whoever says ''love you'' first gets a ''love you more'' in return
HAHAHA - that happens here too.

Our exchanges go something like this:

''I love you''
''I love you more''
''Ok, but I love you BEST''

hehehe
I''m totally implementing this strategy next time we exchange "love you"s!

Neither D or I grew up in families where "I love you" was said often. In fact, I''ve never heard D''s parents say it. I don''t need to say or hear it, but do make an effort to show it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results