shape
carat
color
clarity

I feel terrible. Not sure if I did the right thing :(

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I work at a university in Detroit and I just started a class on Tuesdays after work. Tonight I was leaving class a little after 7:30 and I saw a black and white kitty (not a baby kitten but not a full grown cat either) on the side of the road on the service drive to the express way. He looked a little freaked out and was trying to scurry into the grass along the side of the road. I didn't know if I should stop and try to catch him but it's not really the safest area and I was by myself. So I called my husband because he was downtown getting some food and a few beers with a friend. He said he would go look around the area I was in after they got their food and cashed out. So I called my vet office for advice in the meantime and they said to call the local police office for that area and request the number for animal control. The police officer said that they probably wouldn't come out for cats (maybe they only come if the animal is considered dangerous?) but they gave me the number anyways. I just kept getting the busy signal so I gave up. I'm guessing a kitty on the side of the road isn't going to be top priority and the cat might be better off on the streets than in the custody of Detroit animal control anyways. The vet tech also said that if my husband or I could have caught the kitty, we could have taken it to a kitty adoption clinic the next day. Well unfortunately when my husband and his buddy got to the area, it was about 45 minutes after I had been there and they had no luck, even after searching for quite some time.

I seriously feel TERRIBLE :blackeye: I know I'm probably being a baby but I have been upset all night and I know many PSers are animal lovers and will understand. My heart hurts just thinking that the poor little guy could get hit by a car or picked up by some jerk down there who will mess with it. There are some apartments in that area so I guess he could have gotten out and maybe was found shortly after by his owner. Or maybe one of the people in the cars behind me picked him up and are bringing him to a good home. I know there are wild cats down there but he just looked kinda scared and confused so I'm thinking that wasn't the case. I really wish I would have just stopped and tried to grab him, I am kicking myself now :((

Please send dust and wishes that this poor little guy made it back home or someone was able to pick him up and provide him/her with a new loving home.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did what you could. Chances are the kitty would not have let you near him or her... and you would just have endangered yourself trying. :(sad

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know and feel your pain.
dust dust dust lots of dust for this kitty.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1346812440|3262443 said:
You did what you could. Chances are the kitty would not have let you near him or her... and you would just have endangered yourself trying. :(sad

My husband also said I probably wouldn't have been able to catch it. I still really wish I would have just stopped and tried to grab the little guy. I just panicked because its not the best area but I could have at least made a quick attempt and now I can't stop thinking about it. I really don't know if he might have been a wild kitty though. I wouldn't have wanted to bring him home and pass any illnesses/diseases along to my 2 cats.

movie zombie said:
i know and feel your pain.
dust dust dust lots of dust for this kitty.

Thank you MZ.

That service drive gets a lot of traffic from the university so I'm wondering if somebody ended up stopping and picking him up. I was up half the night praying that is what happened. My crazy brain always thinks of the worst case scenario but I need to remember that there are some decent people left in the world.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
You did what you could to help-don't beat yourself up. I know, easier said than done. I once stopped on the side of a major highway to try to get 2 beagles and they wouldn't let me near them, so I bet this kitty wouldn't have either. I bet someone got him or he found his way to safer ground.

ETA maybe you can go back by there today and see if you see him? Might make you feel better.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1346850450|3262548 said:
You did what you could to help-don't beat yourself up. I know, easier said than done. I once stopped on the side of a major highway to try to get 2 beagles and they wouldn't let me near them, so I bet this kitty wouldn't have either. I bet someone got him or he found his way to safer ground.

ETA maybe you can go back by there today and see if you see him? Might make you feel better.

Thank you thing2. I do plan to look around today after work as well (I looked for him/her this morning on my way in to work but didn't see anything). I'm thinking that since my husband didn't see anything last night that he either got picked up or found his way to a safer place, as you suggested.

I just told my friend about this and I think she thinks I'm nuts :rolleyes: I just have a weak spot in my heart for kitties because I have 2 of them and they are my babies.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hint: take a can of cat food and/or tuna....a hungry stray cat is easier to "capture" that way....yes, i have done this.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
You did what you could. Down by Wayne State there's no way any official would have come out for a kitten. There are ferals everywhere in the city. And this kitten was probably dumped on the side of the road . I've had this same experience too many times to remember. Going back with food may help. It's tragic.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1346852288|3262560 said:
hint: take a can of cat food and/or tuna....a hungry stray cat is easier to "capture" that way....yes, i have done this.

I'm glad other PSers understand and do these sort of things! I'm already at work and didn't even think to grab a can of food before I left the house. But maybe I'll see if there is drug store or something close to work that I could pick up a can from.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, hugs, stargurl!

Are you completely sure that it was a cat? I don't mean that the way it sounds - I couldn't tell you how many times I've gone "cat!!!" only to hear DH reply "racoon", or "squirrel", or "possum", or any number of other furry vaguely cat-sized creatures..

And if it definitely was a cat you did far more than most would have. Could you have stopped? Yeah, sure, probably. But... I don't know what you mean by "bad" but I'm thinking downtown baltimore, and I know that if I pulled over in the dark and got out of the car to nose around after a stray in certain parts of downtown Baltimore there's a very good chance I wouldn't make it home. Stray = NOT worth the risk!!

After seeing one too many squirrel-cats I got the car ready to grab one and get it to the vet on the fly. I've got a box, gloves, a couple of old towels, water and kitten formula, some cans of wet (good for a dog in a pinch too), and a little disposable litterbox and a baggie of litter, and I printed out a list of vets and ECs near my usual haunts - the office, places we often eat out, that sort of thing. DH thought I'd lost my mind when I was getting it all together but I feel SO much better knowing it's there just in case!

MZ - we caught our third with Ocean Whitefish ::)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I would have done the same thing. It's hard to catch a cat! Is there a feral cat organization in your area that you can borrow a trap from? They work really well, plus those organizations usually spay/neuter and vet for free.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1346859330|3262618 said:
Oh, hugs, stargurl!

Are you completely sure that it was a cat? I don't mean that the way it sounds - I couldn't tell you how many times I've gone "cat!!!" only to hear DH reply "racoon", or "squirrel", or "possum", or any number of other furry vaguely cat-sized creatures..

And if it definitely was a cat you did far more than most would have. Could you have stopped? Yeah, sure, probably. But... I don't know what you mean by "bad" but I'm thinking downtown baltimore, and I know that if I pulled over in the dark and got out of the car to nose around after a stray in certain parts of downtown Baltimore there's a very good chance I wouldn't make it home. Stray = NOT worth the risk!!

After seeing one too many squirrel-cats I got the car ready to grab one and get it to the vet on the fly. I've got a box, gloves, a couple of old towels, water and kitten formula, some cans of wet (good for a dog in a pinch too), and a little disposable litterbox and a baggie of litter, and I printed out a list of vets and ECs near my usual haunts - the office, places we often eat out, that sort of thing. DH thought I'd lost my mind when I was getting it all together but I feel SO much better knowing it's there just in case!

MZ - we caught our third with Ocean Whitefish ::)

Thank you for understanding and sharing your story Yssie!

I'm sure it was a kitty. It was still fairly light outside and it was close enough for me to see that it was indeed a cat. The area isn't the worst part of Detroit but it's really the best either. My husband said if I would have gotten out of the car in that area to pick up a cat, he would have been pissed at me. So I'm glad he happened to be downtown with his buddy and they wee nice enough to scope out the area for me a little while later.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1346864062|3262660 said:
I would have done the same thing. It's hard to catch a cat! Is there a feral cat organization in your area that you can borrow a trap from? They work really well, plus those organizations usually spay/neuter and vet for free.

Thanks webdiva! I just tried to find out if there is a feral cat organization in our area and I found a place called kittenaid but I couldn't find a contact number for them. So I made a donation and there is an email address in my paypal receipt so I'm going to get in touch with them that way. I think I might volunteer to help too. Thank you so much for your suggestion!!! =)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1346869082|3262711 said:

Thanks webdiva! I just tried to find out if there is a feral cat organization in our area and I found a place called kittenaid but I couldn't find a contact number for them. So I made a donation and there is an email address in my paypal receipt so I'm going to get in touch with them that way. I think I might volunteer to help too. Thank you so much for your suggestion!!! =)

PS animal lovers are awesome.

They see problems, they actually DO something about them :bigsmile:

I'm glad you're feeling better stargurl!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hugs, Stargurl. I'm with everyone else--do not beat yourself up about this! Although, I totally understand why you felt so upset, and I would have been the same. DH and I spent an entire summer trying to catch four kittens that were living in the wooded area behind our house, and we had ZERO luck. Feral cats are really difficult to catch, and no matter how hard we tried, I still came home all mopey and sad every time.

You are awesome for caring, and for following up!

I don't know anything about the Detroit ACC, but you might be right, it may be a very high-kill shelter. I know I would never bring an animal to the NYACC, because they euthanize over 20 perfectly adoptable dogs and 20 cats every damn day. :angryfire:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1346875981|3262773 said:
Hugs, Stargurl. I'm with everyone else--do not beat yourself up about this! Although, I totally understand why you felt so upset, and I would have been the same. DH and I spent an entire summer trying to catch four kittens that were living in the wooded area behind our house, and we had ZERO luck. Feral cats are really difficult to catch, and no matter how hard we tried, I still came home all mopey and sad every time.

I don't know anything about the Detroit ACC, but you might be right, it may be a very high-kill shelter. I know I would never bring an animal to the NYACC, because they euthanize over 20 perfectly adoptable dogs and 20 cats every damn day. :angryfire:

Ditto this and the other PSers Stargurl! I am sorry this happened and you did the best you could. Please don't beat yourself up! It is terribly heartbreaking and I totally understand how you feel.

I am going through very similar emotions right now about a stray at our beach house whom I have named Blu. She is very young and all alone- no other kitties to play with and no person taking care of her. ;( I feed her wet food when I am there (weekends only) and have a handyman who feeds her (only hard food though) during the week. But I am not sure he is feeding her as there are other strays around (long story) and they may be getting her food. So I have been crying about Blu since we found her but we cannot take her as we have 4 and my dh is getting allergy shots and lately his allergic asthma even with the shots have been acting up so he has been taking pills and the inhaler with the shots to control the cat allergy. Which he doesn't mind doing but we cannot take a fifth and 5 cat carriers will not fit in our car anyway.

But I digress. It's just that I feel horribly guilty that she is out in the elements and we have a perfectly good home. :blackeye: I have been asking everyone I know about adopting her but no luck. There are so many strays and so few resources. I thought about a "no kill" shelter but by us they aren't truly "no kill"- if they cannot adopt her out they will find a reason to put her down. :nono: Plus, I do not know if it is fair to cage her up when she is used to being free. I contacted all the animal rescue people I know but there is just no room and no place for her. The best case scenario would be to find a home for her but so far I have not been meeting with any success. I put ads in the local paper and in the online newspaper for our area. And to top that all off she may not be able to be socialized (is this the right word?) as right now she is feral and every time I approach she runs away but comes back for the food. I cannot tell you how much crying I have done since we found Blu. I keep thinking of her all alone and scared.

Sorry for the long speech, but I just wanted to tell you that I understand and know how you are feeling and wish there was some way we could rescue all the homeless animals. NYC is especially bad as they put down so many healthy dogs and cats every single day. ;( ;( ;(

Big hugs to you and I hope that dear kitty is safe and sound and finds a good home Stargurl! My heart goes out to you and that sweet cat and all the people who care about them and all the animals who need a loving home. :(

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1346872162|3262736 said:
PS animal lovers are awesome.

They see problems, they actually DO something about them :bigsmile:

I'm glad you're feeling better stargurl!

Thanks Yssie!! I am feeling better! I just felt so bad for not being comfortable enough to stop yesterday that I wanted to try to do what I could today. I'm just nervous that if I volunteer with that kittenaid group I'm going to feel so bad for these cats that I'm going to end up with a house full of new pets :lol:

Haven|1346875981|3262773 said:

I'm glad that everyone is so understanding, thank you Haven! I guess its probably true that I wouldn't have been able to catch the kitty even if I tried. I did drive around the area a little bit today after work and I didn't see him anywhere so hopefully he's at least in a safer place than he was yesterday.

All I'm getting from the Detroit ACC is a busy signal and I've read nothing but bad reviews about them online so I think I'm done trying with them. That is just terrible about the NYACC :angryfire:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
stargurl78|1346869082|3262711 said:

yay! Awesome. If you want to buy a trap yourself, the best are havahart - they're about $60. I happily found one at a thrift store and gave it to crazy cat lady (she's actually really nice. hehe) on our street to trap the feral cats at her house to spay/neuter them. We used it to catch a runaway mama dog that was trapped under a friend's house, too. Yummy, stinky food and a hungry animal make for an easy trapping situation.

Detroit is definitely high kill area, I hear that from dog forum I'm on. I always suggest fostering to someone - if you can foster and pay the vet fees, almost all rescues will "represent" an animal or do courtesy listings, even when they are full. Good luck!! :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stargurl--If you end up seeing her (or any other homeless animals) again you could contact local rescues and ask who to contact about trap-neuter-return programs in the area. We have some local orgs here that trap feral cats, spay and neuter them, and then return them to the wild. It's one alternative to the widespread euthanasia that happens daily.

Missy--Oh, you poor thing. I'd be agonizing over Blu, too. If you're on Facebook you could find your local rescue groups, take Blu's picture, and get the word out about her. I follow a ton of rescues on FB, and I'm amazed at the amount of lives they save every single day. I see people posting a lot of pictures of animals out in the elements (or tied to a tree with no food or water :angryfire: ) with their location, and people go out and save them. It's pretty amazing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestion Haven- I am going to check that out!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stargurl, at night, in the dark, you always have to put your own safety first. Fortunately, you knew that - I'm glad most of all that YOU are safe!

You did what you could with the resources available to you at the time. We can always second guess any of our decisions... Hopefully, there was another equally kindhearted soul who was able to help the kitty. Think positive!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Missy - Thank you for sharing your story about poor Blu, that is so sad :blackeye: Try not to feel bad, at least you are doing what you can to help, its so nice that you are providing food when you can. I know I couldn't take another cat right now and we only have 2 (one with asthma and some other issues and therefore frequent vet trips). I definitely understand how you feel about worrying that the poor thing is alone and scared. That was all I could think about last night, I barely slept. Well, hopefully someone will respond to your ads and poor Blu will go to a good home, hopefully one that will let her be an outdoor kitty. Hugs to you Missy, I definitely understand and am sending dust for Blu.

webdiva - If I put a trap in that busy area that gets a lot of scummy people going through there, I would worry that someone else might get to the kitty before I could. Hearing enough animal cruelty stories makes me think of all the worst possible things that could happen. I obviously just don't trust people :rolleyes: I will definitely look more into fostering though.

Haven - The kittenaid organization that I mentioned before is actually a trap-neuter-return program. I sent an email to them today so hopefully I'll receive a response. I'm definitely going to try to look into other rescue programs in the area too.

Enerchi - Thank you for the reassurance, I know you're right but it still hurts my heart :cry: Thank you for shedding a positive light on things and I hope you're right that someone else that was able to help the kitty without putting themselves in any danger!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry and please don't beat yourself up. I don't think the cat would have come to you and you would have put yourself in danger. It's a real shame how many cats don't have homes but unless and until society believes it can solve this problem and solves it each of us can do only so much. I live on a small island and we have this problem. This problem could be solved here IMO but the powers that be have never even tried to solve it. There are no snakes in my entire state (Hawaii). IMO if they can manage this they could manage getting cats off the street. They make half hearted efforts but they don't care. This has been a problem for centuries and people just accept the belief that it can't be solved. It's very sad. The cats kill off endangered bird species too and this compounds the problem. You care and you did what you could do at the time. Hugs.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1346897167|3262953 said:
I'm sorry and please don't beat yourself up. I don't think the cat would have come to you and you would have put yourself in danger. It's a real shame how many cats don't have homes but unless and until society believes it can solve this problem and solves it each of us can do only so much. I live on a small island and we have this problem. This problem could be solved here IMO but the powers that be have never even tried to solve it. There are no snakes in my entire state (Hawaii). IMO if they can manage this they could manage getting cats off the street. They make half hearted efforts but they don't care. This has been a problem for centuries and people just accept the belief that it can't be solved. It's very sad. The cats kill off endangered bird species too and this compounds the problem. You care and you did what you could do at the time. Hugs.

Thanks Imdanny for the hugs. And you're right, it really is a shame about all these poor homeless animals. And I'm always reading stories about people who can longer afford their pets so they just drop them off at a random location to fend for themselves. It really is terrible that there is little being done about this problem.

nararabbit

Shiny_Rock
I'll echo others here and say someone picked him up. You have to think positively! If nothing else, there would have been.... evidence... if he were hit by a car. And yes, it could have bitten or scratched you - what if it had rabies? There is no way to know. You have a good heart and care about animals, I am the same way. I once tried to catch a cat I saw skulking around a motel parking lot, it ran under a car and when I tried to get it out, the owner thought I was trying to steal his car! Not a good situation.

On a lighter note, my husband is also a big-time animal lover - in fact, he once brought home a rooster he found in a parking lot! He was in a residential neighborhood, no idea where the handsome fellow came from, but we were able to rehome him with a friend who has some land with goats and such. It was just so funny to see him carrying in a trader joe's sack, with this rooster inside!! He said "Look, today it's extra fresh!" Ha ha ha. :razz:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
nararabbit|1346960588|3263303 said:
I'll echo others here and say someone picked him up. You have to think positively! If nothing else, there would have been.... evidence... if he were hit by a car. And yes, it could have bitten or scratched you - what if it had rabies? There is no way to know. You have a good heart and care about animals, I am the same way. I once tried to catch a cat I saw skulking around a motel parking lot, it ran under a car and when I tried to get it out, the owner thought I was trying to steal his car! Not a good situation.

On a lighter note, my husband is also a big-time animal lover - in fact, he once brought home a rooster he found in a parking lot! He was in a residential neighborhood, no idea where the handsome fellow came from, but we were able to rehome him with a friend who has some land with goats and such. It was just so funny to see him carrying in a trader joe's sack, with this rooster inside!! He said "Look, today it's extra fresh!" Ha ha ha. :razz:

You know, I'll admit that the next day I was looking for a smushed kitty in the road and was so relieved when I didn't see one. And he was actually walking on the side of the road at one point so that was my main worry. I really hope you're right and someone picked him up.

I was worried that he might have rabies or some other disease or even fleas that I didn't want to bring home to my cats (who already have had enough health issues). This is part of what stopped me from getting off the express way to go back to try and catch him, besides the issue of my safety.

Haha, that is too funny about the rooster! :lol: That's great that you guys were able to provide him with a good home =) I'll admit, sometimes I think I care a little *too* much about animals, sometimes I'll even tear up if I see a dead squirrel in the road! My husband swears that I like animals better than people and sometimes I worry that he might be right :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand why you feel bad as I am an animal lover too.But you need to not run the risk of getting in to an accident or being mugged. I see many a patient's with cat bites and they are not an easy thing to fix if they are deep. You run the risk of being bit if a kitty is not friendly. After that there is surgery (irrigation and debridement) and up to 6 weeks of IV antibiotics. And that is if things go well. If a kitty can be coaxed to come to you that is a good thing, but if it runs from you then you put yourself at risk trying to capture it.

Recently I coaxed a stray dog to me that was on the road. He was not unfriendly, but not friendly either. He had a collar but I decided to not try and grab it as he was a large, uneutered, pit bull mix. I felt sad like you did because I feared he would get hit by a car. It felt so bad, but something told me not to do it. My daughter berated me for not grabbing him and getting the information on his tags. But I like you thought the risk was too high.

In the end I guess we can never feel good about not saving an animal in distress. But we cannot always safely do it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl I know how you feel. :(sad I feel so guilty and sad when I can't rescue an animal that is crossing the road, etc. and then I spend days looking to see if it's still around, if it got hit by a car, etc.

But LisaRN is right...we can't always save the animals we see without putting ourselves in serious risk...the way I try to think about it sometimes is that if I get killed then I can't save any more. Sometimes it helps.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the story about your hubby bringing home a rooster, Nararabbit!

If anyone is on Facebook, many states have Lost Dogs YourStateHere pages, where people network pictures of lost and found dogs. If you see a lost dog with tags but can't or don't feel comfortable catching him, you can always snap a picture and network it around. I follow my state's Lost Dogs page and it's amazing to see how many make it back home. (Many are unfortunately hit and killed by cars, too. So be prepared to see a lot of that, as well. ;( )

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
LisaRN and CJ2008, thank you. You're both right and I know that it was best for me not to get out of the car to try and do something. rstanding!

Haven - thanks for sharing, I'm going to look into local networks on fb for my area for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results