shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Say you had a project in mind and you asked two of our trusted vendors for quotes on your project, and the two quotes came in very close to each other. The vendor with the slightly higher quote was willing to match the other vendor''s price to have your business. How would you choose between the two? Both are known to turn out the same product in much the same quality. What would you base your decision on? I''m just curious.

I feel sort of embarrassed by getting myself into this situation and I''m leaning towards scrapping this project.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Have you used either of them in the past? If so I would use the other one. Sort of a rotation.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 11:24:13 AM
Author: MissMina
Have you used either of them in the past? If so I would use the other one. Sort of a rotation.

I would actually do the opposite - if one already had my satisfaction, I''d go with them, because I already know how stellar their product is.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would base it on past working history or references.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 11:17:29 AM
Author:gemgirl
Say you had a project in mind and you asked two of our trusted vendors for quotes on your project, and the two quotes came in very close to each other. The vendor with the slightly higher quote was willing to match the other vendor''s price to have your business. How would you choose between the two? Both are known to turn out the same product in much the same quality. What would you base your decision on? I''m just curious.

I feel sort of embarrassed by getting myself into this situation and I''m leaning towards scrapping this project.
OK, first of all, why have you embarrassed yourself into this situation? It''s totally normal to get more than one quote and to let the high vendor know they did not have the lowest price. It''s also normal for them to offer to match. You shouldn''t be embarrassed and you shouldn''t scrap the project!

Now, if anyone is making you feel pressured, embarrassed, or otherwise, go with the other vendor. I know there seems to be some stiff competition on PS lately with a few vendors but that''s their issue, not yours (except that it should benefit you.) Go with the one you have a good gut feeling with - if you really think about it, I am gathering it''s there. The vendor you don''t pick should just graciously move on.

And I''d go with the one that I asked for the quote first - because that is probably the one I wanted to work with most.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
ditto a number of these points - like...

past satisfaction with either of them. but also how about proximity to you? as in - can you visit either of these vendors in person, or do you have to ship your ring to them? i''ll work with vendors who are some distance away, but it''s a plus for me if i dont have to ship.

and ditto what t-gal said re looking for signs that indicate who you most want to work with; i think the person whom i first ask for a quote is most likely the person who leaps first to mind - ie is the person top of my thoughts for the project.

one last thing tho; ALL else being equal, i''d offer it to the person who offered me the lower price first - not the person who played catch-up.

i do think, tho, that all jewelers have different strong suits, so i think, if you look hard enough, you''ll find differences in their respective styles which will make one more appropriate than the other.

and you could always put it up as a PS poll.... :)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I''d go with the vendor that gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Not exactly the most reasoned, rational approach, but if the price is the same and the quality is the same, then what differentiates them is how you *feel*. Are you excited to work with one vendor more than another? You don''t have to make this decision based on anything but who you''re excited to work with.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
edited -

I changed my mind after re-reading responses. . .I agree, go with the one who you contacted first because they were foremost on your mind.

Plus, do a poll, as was suggested. We all love those! lol

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I can tell you how I handle it professionally, as I solicit quotes all the time. If I am inclined to allow someone to better their bid (and that''s not often), then I reopen it to ALL bidders (in your case both of them) and tell them, that due to some differences in bids, or leadtimes, or whatever, I am reopening the bidding process for a Best and Final Offer. Both bidders will then know that they must better their bids or risk losing out. It IS considered unethical to disclose the actual number of the low bid, when someone wants to "price match" IMO. Let them both review and resubmit. No embarassment, no pressure.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with the vendor who your guts say is the nicest person. That''s how I choose if the quality of work is comparable even when the quotes may be miles apart. The heart and soul of a person is important to me.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad I asked this question because even though I knew I''d get different answers, I also knew there would be logic behind all of them.

I reread how I wrote the question after I read T Gal''s answer (thanks TGal, I''m going your way). I realized that I didn''t really write the question correctly. The decision for me was made before I got a phone call from company #2 (they called just to say hi and can we do anything for you?). I never made a phone call to company #2 to ask for a quote. The problem came into being because I opened my (big) mouth and told company #2 - "well, I am going to be making something very soon". I should have kept my mouth shut. Both companies are represented by very nice people, although one I have to say, has my respect and admiration and does give me warm fuzzies, like princess said. Even though warm fuzzies come after quality and craftsmanship for me.

I went to the doctor, had some time to think, and got some distance on this. I''m sticking with vendor #1.

whitby, I would LOVELOVELOVE to have a jeweler that I could walk into, visit and work with in person. Nothing beats that! I have jewelers here but not for custom. My own jeweler at this point is for repairs and sizing only. He''s getting old (bless his heart), and GOG is just a half hour away, but Jonathan is not set up for custom. Not like our other vendors do custom.

Thanks ladies!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
ok - now tell us - what''s the project, gemgirl?

looking forward to hearing about this new venture...

:)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the "good feelings" vendor. Most likely you''ll have a better experience with them.

If that''s still neck and neck, I''d find out ETA''s for the finished project and probably let that be my deciding factor.

And big ditto to not being embarrassed. Doesn''t EVERYBODY get at least 2 quotes? They are vying for OUR business, not the other way around.

GOOD LUCK on your project!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm... I just wanna know what the project is!
11.gif

But thinking about it... I'd go with the one I've worked with before, if I was happy with the job, even for a slightly higher price - but I tend to be loyal like that, doesn't always make for smart shopping. Good thing about PS vendors is you know you aren't getting cheated!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My next one is nothing too complicated. Just a little .66 pt. fishtail pave'' eleven stone band to go with the solitaire I''m going to have made. I love the look of the Veraggio Insignia eleven stone fishtail pave'' band, but Veraggio''s prices are too steep for me. That''s why I''m choosing one of our vendors to reproduce it. I should smack myself in the head because I haven''t even gotten my halo-ed pear pendant back yet. That little treasure went back into the shop for a little reworking. I should be getting that one home soon.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 11:11:06 AM
Author: gemgirl
My next one is nothing too complicated. Just a little .66 pt. fishtail pave'' eleven stone band to go with the solitaire I''m going to have made. I love the look of the Veraggio Insignia eleven stone fishtail pave'' band, but Veraggio''s prices are too steep for me. That''s why I''m choosing one of our vendors to reproduce it. I should smack myself in the head because I haven''t even gotten my halo-ed pear pendant back yet. That little treasure went back into the shop for a little reworking. I should be getting that one home soon.
Fun! Hope all goes smoothly.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results