shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you are satisfied with your diamond size?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Black Jade|1327195466|3108497 said:
Interesting--almost everyone posting here is satisfied--but only about three of the posters who are satisfied have less than a carat. Posters are satisfied with rings ranging from roughly 1.5- 2.5 carats. I don't think that's greedy--nothing that you like and saved for andcan afford is greedy in our lovely capitalistic society. (not joking. Really do think capitalism is great). i love looking at the rings. However, thats a lot to aspire to in terms of what they cost and even in the diamond is a J or lower color and an Si2 and even if it is a pre-loved old cut, a 1.5 to 2 carat diamond will NEVER be in my budget in my lifetime.

So it's lucky that I love my .38 carat original engagement ring, I guess.

Not trying to be obnoxious, but did feel like speaking up and saying that it IS possible to be satisfied when its WAY under a carat.

Now I have to go back and look, but I thought there were like 7 on this one page with under a carat and happy. ;-) It's certainly possible!

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
Well.... Being that the ring isn't on my finger yet (it's being handcrafted as I write this) I can't be entirely sure... BUT, after trying on the wax, which I know is slightly larger than the actual setting will be, i'm worried it could be too big! The center stone is a 4.03 cushion cut set in 1.65 cts of round brilliant halo pave. It swallowed my hand when I tried it on. However, when I tried on a similar Harry Winston of exactly the same size, it didn't look too big.

Now, this is a second marriage for me. For my first ring, I had just over 1 ct rb in a cathedral setting. When I got it, I truly felt like it was more than enough diamond! As the years went on and my exh and I both climbed the corporate ladder, moved to a more affluent neighborhood, had kids that we enrolled in preschool in the affluent neighborhood and became friends with lots of their friends parents, I began to suffer from DSS. I didn't think it was possible, but it happened.

And here I am several years after my divorce, on the cusp of getting married again. My fi has experienced a HUGE amount of success in his career and this ring is a reflection of where we are in life now. When I was 23 and got my first ering, you never in a million years would have convinced me that at 41, I would be wearing 5.7 carats... You just never can tell! =)

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Yes and no for me...my ering was my mom's (she's still alive just never wore it so she offered it to me) and it's a .38 rb. At this point in time I am more than satisfied with it and don't particularly care about upgrading it - but down the line there's a good chance I will want to buy a new (and much much larger) diamond ring. Buying a new ring was always the original plan DH and I had but as time goes on I found an upgrade has become less and less important to me so I guess we will see!

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
iota15|1326940478|3106382 said:
Oh, I could go larger but in the real world and in my smallish city, my 2 ct "honker" (according to my friends) gets enough attention already. I don't think I could ever upgrade my center stone. Even though I didn't think I would be, I'm way too sentimentally attached to "my precious". A setting change may be in the cards later though.

In the far distant future, when we have all the money to spare and our life needs are taken care of, I'm going to buy myself a real honker (by my perverse standards anyway). 3 plus carats of fancy cut goodness, and believe me, I wouldn't care what anyone thought of my saggy baggy hands, whether they think it's real or fake, or how I laid my hands on these rocks, I would wear all five plus carats on two hands with beat-down running shoes and my ol' lady sweats to the grocery store. Both literally and figuratively, I would rock those rocks! Lol.

You're speaking my language!!! :love:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry but I'm not 100% sure what you're saying.

Are you saying the Harry Winston ring seemed just the right size but this one seems too big? I don't know but is this something you can address with with OH's agent (i.e. the jeweler)? Did you, and did they tell you the wax is bigger?

Or do you think this ring just looks like a lot of diamond/ diamonds (it is, truth be told!)?

I'm not sure how you're feeling. What I'm getting is that you're someone surprised the two rings don't seem like they're going to be the same sizes, this is more diamond(s) than you're used to, and C- you don't have a problem with B.

So are you unhappy about something? Can the ring still be changed? If not, why do they send you a cast?

I don't think you've posted the Harry Winston ring you like (I won't be judgmental- I just want to have a look at it- the one I saw on their website called "The One" did not look like the ring in your avatar, many HW erings have halos (but I thought those were called "the HW micropave" or something). I saw a ring called "The One" but it didn't look like their other halo diamonds and it had a huge yellow diamond in it.

What I can tell from looking at your avatar is that it's an ering. It doesn't look to me like a cocktail ring at all. I don't think it's too big for an ering and the setting looks simple and elegant, yet complex and sophisticated at the same time. I wouldn't have expected anything less from them. I think it's going to be great.

I hope you'll be 100% happy with it. I hope you and your husband will come to Hawaii to celebrate your first Anniversary!

I'd love to show you around Maui and to see something like your ring in person would make me very happy for sure. :))

I know it's a little impractical to travel to Hawaii (I've lived here 10 years- believe me I know) but I hope you consider my invitation a compliment! I don't make a habit of asking many people!

A lot of people have tried invited themselves. MIL is the only one who got away with it, and if you want to know the truth, she'll get away with it again when it snows in hell. She chose a ridiculously cheap (meaning low quality), ugly (as in doesn't sparkle at all), and absurdly expensive (I told SO I would help her with just the basic diamond information- 4 C's, etc.- but I guess they decided it would be better off if her future husband got ripped off and she got an ugly ring). So be it. I know a tiny bit about diamonds. I'm not a miracle worker.

You have been very lucky so far with being able to share OH's drawings with us, so I hope you'll keep that up and when you get it, I hope you take a lot of pictures for us!

I can tell this is a special experience this ring for you and what it represents. We simply don't see many OH owners here.

]It's very generous of you to be sharing this journey with us! :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am! And the center stone is less than .5 carats. Pretty much everyone in my circle are frugal or bohemian or both, either sporting smaller diamond, alternative gemstone or rings with no gemstone (silver, etc) for wedding, engagement rings. They thought I was weird for even wanting a diamond ring. It's all the sparkle I want, diamond-wise. I wouldn't mind getting as a RHR an ring with a larger sized emerald, tsavorite, or periwinkle blue sapphire ring, but not in the cards at this time.

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
Imdanny|1327344193|3109720 said:
I'm sorry but I'm not 100% sure what you're saying.

Are you saying the Harry Winston ring seemed just the right size but this one seems too big? I don't know but is this something you can address with with OH's agent (i.e. the jeweler)? Did you, and did they tell you the wax is bigger?

Or do you think this ring just looks like a lot of diamond/ diamonds (it is, truth be told!)?

I'm not sure how you're feeling. What I'm getting is that you're someone surprised the two rings don't seem like they're going to be the same sizes, this is more diamond(s) than you're used to, and C- you don't have a problem with B.

So are you unhappy about something? Can the ring still be changed? If not, why do they send you a cast?

I don't think you've posted the Harry Winston ring you like (I won't be judgmental- I just want to have a look at it- the one I saw on their website called "The One" did not look like the ring in your avatar, many HW erings have halos (but I thought those were called "the HW micropave" or something). I saw a ring called "The One" but it didn't look like their other halo diamonds and it had a huge yellow diamond in it.

What I can tell from looking at your avatar is that it's an ering. It doesn't look to me like a cocktail ring at all. I don't think it's too big for an ering and the setting looks simple and elegant, yet complex and sophisticated at the same time. I wouldn't have expected anything less from them. I think it's going to be great.

I hope you'll be 100% happy with it. I hope you and your husband will come to Hawaii to celebrate your first Anniversary!

I'd love to show you around Maui and to see something like your ring in person would make me very happy for sure. :))

I know it's a little impractical to travel to Hawaii (I've lived here 10 years- believe me I know) but I hope you consider my invitation a compliment! I don't make a habit of asking many people!

A lot of people have tried invited themselves. MIL is the only one who got away with it, and if you want to know the truth, she'll get away with it again when it snows in hell. She chose a ridiculously cheap (meaning low quality), ugly (as in doesn't sparkle at all), and absurdly expensive (I told SO I would help her with just the basic diamond information- 4 C's, etc.- but I guess they decided it would be better off if her future husband got ripped off and she got an ugly ring). So be it. I know a tiny bit about diamonds. I'm not a miracle worker.

You have been very lucky so far with being able to share OH's drawings with us, so I hope you'll keep that up and when you get it, I hope you take a lot of pictures for us!

I can tell this is a special experience this ring for you and what it represents. We simply don't see many OH owners here.

]It's very generous of you to be sharing this journey with us! :wavey:

Hi Danny!

OK... so, apparently I was as clear as mud with my last post. :wink2: So, to begin, YES OH did tell me that the wax is slightly larger than the actual ring will be. The entire wax (with my center stone in it) takes up a whole lot of real estate on my finger. (I posted pics in my Oscar Heyman Journey thread in Rocky Talky yesterday.... go check them out if you haven't already!) But I think it's just the wax that feels too large... that the ring itself will be perfect. They have assured me that the shank and halo will be as "dainty" as their artists' rendering. The wax just had me a teeny bit nervous. Seriously, you need to go to my other OH post and tell me what YOU think about it!

The HW ring that I tried on is "The One." If you google images for it, you can see it with a white diamond center stone, not the yellow diamond. My ring is very loosely based on The One. In any case, when I tried The One on, it had a 4.06 ct center stone and 1.5 cts in the melee, so very comparable in size to what OH is creating for me. When I tried The One on, it wasn't "too large" at all! I'm confident that my OH ring will be every bit as beautiful, if not more so, than the HW.

I am very happy with the ring design and my diamonds! I just think that it may take more getting used to -size wise- than I had been anticipating! But in the grand scheme of problems to have, that's a pretty darn good one!

And thank you so much for the invitation to Hawaii! We love tropical locales... obvious by the fact that we're getting married on St. Martin at the end of March! Having a March wedding (we're from Minnesota) almost guarantees me warm weather anniversary trips. :appl: I'll see if I can talk him into Hawaii! Now, hurry.... look at my pics and give me your thoughts!

Cheers - Bridget

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkly_Girl|1327337145|3109621 said:
Well.... Being that the ring isn't on my finger yet (it's being handcrafted as I write this) I can't be entirely sure... BUT, after trying on the wax, which I know is slightly larger than the actual setting will be, i'm worried it could be too big! The center stone is a 4.03 cushion cut set in 1.65 cts of round brilliant halo pave. It swallowed my hand when I tried it on. However, when I tried on a similar Harry Winston of exactly the same size, it didn't look too big.

Now, this is a second marriage for me. For my first ring, I had just over 1 ct rb in a cathedral setting. When I got it, I truly felt like it was more than enough diamond! As the years went on and my exh and I both climbed the corporate ladder, moved to a more affluent neighborhood, had kids that we enrolled in preschool in the affluent neighborhood and became friends with lots of their friends parents, I began to suffer from DSS. I didn't think it was possible, but it happened.

And here I am several years after my divorce, on the cusp of getting married again. My fi has experienced a HUGE amount of success in his career and this ring is a reflection of where we are in life now. When I was 23 and got my first ering, you never in a million years would have convinced me that at 41, I would be wearing 5.7 carats... You just never can tell! =)

Whoa- cant wait to see this ring!!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Well, it's kind of hard to answer this question. When I hanging around on PS looking at rings, I suffer from DSS and think "oh, wouldn't it be nice if I had a bigger diamond!". But the thing is that whenever I try on a bigger diamond I think that it looks really ugly on my finger. And that brings me back down to earth and makes me appreciate what I have.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly_Girl|1327338093|3109637 said:
iota15|1326940478|3106382 said:
Oh, I could go larger but in the real world and in my smallish city, my 2 ct "honker" (according to my friends) gets enough attention already. I don't think I could ever upgrade my center stone. Even though I didn't think I would be, I'm way too sentimentally attached to "my precious". A setting change may be in the cards later though.

In the far distant future, when we have all the money to spare and our life needs are taken care of, I'm going to buy myself a real honker (by my perverse standards anyway). 3 plus carats of fancy cut goodness, and believe me, I wouldn't care what anyone thought of my saggy baggy hands, whether they think it's real or fake, or how I laid my hands on these rocks, I would wear all five plus carats on two hands with beat-down running shoes and my ol' lady sweats to the grocery store. Both literally and figuratively, I would rock those rocks! Lol.

You're speaking my language!!! :love:

Lol. I feel like hearty cackle is necessary after that rant.

I can't wait to see your ring, Sparkly. It sounds delicious!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
decodelighted|1326599264|3103225 said:
1.5 ct Asscher. Totally satisfied with the stone -- not w/ my sausage fingers!

This, exactly! Well, except mine is 1.23 ct. My partner bought me an awesome stone. I'm just self conscious about my larger than average fingers and their tendency to make big things look smaller. I know that 1.23 is way bigger than the average and I'm grateful he let me choose such a nice diamond. In the end it turned out looking much bigger than I thought it would and I don't think "small diamond" when I see it-- all I can think is "SHINY AND PERFECT!"

That being said, I certainly wouldn't have complained if we could have bought the 2.38 Octavia. :naughty:

But I'm happy with the diamond we have and I'm learning to accept my fingers for what they are. Boyfriend doesn't get it. He says "you women are self conscious about too much already, now you're going to tell me your fingers make you self conscious too? Sheesh!" :twirl:

edit: whoah, I totally just revived a dead thread on accident. Whoops, I didn't realize how old this was!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet|1376338843|3501583 said:
That being said, I certainly wouldn't have complained if we could have bought the 2.38 Octavia.

I can relate. :love:
I'm so happy you are enjoying and posting about your Octavia.

For years I sported a 2.26 ct asscher and loved it, but currently I'm going down in size.
I have to go places where I didn't feel comfortable with such a large rock so I'd often spin it around into my wrist.

Life's too short to worry about that.
Whatever the carat weight of the Octavia I end up with it will be very very sparkly so I hope I don't start worrying about that. :roll:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It may be a dead thread, but I'm going to reply because it's a fun one!

I have mixed feelings about my e-ring size. On the one hand I think it's too small, but on the other I think it's the right stone for me.

It's "only" a 0.70, but it's a Hearts on Fire diamond and it chucks out a ton of coloured light. It's so sparkly I do have to squint sometimes. It really is beautiful. It's also set in quite a thick bezel, and my finger is about a 4 or just below, so these things make it look bigger. Of course, I'd like something a little bigger, probably. But I have a soft spot for it since the cut is so fantastic and, of course, sentimental value since he proposed with it. So to answer the question, I'm both not 100% satisfied but also reasonably happy with it.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a .71 cushion and yes, I am 100% satisfied. I really had to emphasize this to SO. I am a relatively active person, I use my hands constantly, and a huge stone would end up battered with me. I also am small, with small hands. Proportionately my stone looks good on my hands, and even more so with the two side stones we used. Once he saw the final product, he was in love.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to see that many are satisfied. And the more I'm on PS I'm not, truthfully. So I am off and on here, just so DSS doesn't get TOOOO bad. But I naturally have a super Type A personality, so it's ALL or nothing!! :Up_to_something:

I upgraded after 15 years, from 1.11 to 2.59 MRB. I had NOTHING in between. No bands, no rings, NO jewelry. NADA.

So I figure I'm due for a lot of catching up. I love my MRB, but I'm hoping to cross the 3.0 mark. Either that, or get a AVC between 2-3. I'm honestly not sure about the idea of having two substantial stones, because I would not wear more than one at a time. And I don't know if I will feel like I'm wasting money by having one big rock sitting in a safe deposit box. But AVCs and MRBs are soooo different that they suit completely different moods. Anyway, I for one, have an upgrade goal. I'm relatively young (or feel that way), so I've got lots of anniversaries to go.

And I've tried wearing 3 carat CZ "test runs" on my 4.5 finger. I have NO issues about size. I could certainly go much larger than 3. I think I would stop when it covers the whole width of my finger. :lol: Yup!! Gotta own it!!!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1326643016|3103400 said:
It also occurs to me to add ... like many, this thread is probably going to suffer from self-selection bias. At present, almost everybody who's posted is satisfied, and most have either started out with a big juicy size, or added on, or both. And the people who are dissatisfied? Are probably keeping vewwy, vewwy quiet, because being called "greedy" is a big no-no in our society.

amen sister! I felt so ashamed and lost when I realised that I wanted a 'grown up' engagement ring that reflected how I felt about my marriage, and my contribution to our marriage. Thank heavens for PS!
:)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I'd update, since things have changed since my last post. When I posted, I had a 1.03 RB and have since gotten a 1.96 (8mm) OEC. And I still suffered from DSS for quite a while...I think it was seeing all the beautiful larger stones here on PS. It reached a point where I was going to take a break from PS because I felt kind of tortured and just unhappy - it was getting a bit ridiculous. It upset me that it was bothering me so much, if that makes any kind of sense. I finally ordered a 9 mm cz because I really didn't even know what a larger diamond would look like on me. Doing this made me realize I'm happy with the size stone I have now. It's the right size for my hand, and for my lifestyle. DSS and a desire for a larger stone just dissapated, and I feel so much more at peace now. It's like I recovered from a long illness lol!

I did decide that a different setting will be more flattering to my OEC, so I'm going to reset it into a halo from simon g. Very excited about that!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I added another half eternity band to my set and I'm much happier with the set now. However, I wouldn't be opposed to DH offering to upgrade me someday. :cheeky:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my original (still have it) diamond that was .25ct for 24 years, then purchased a 1.975 K-SI1 RBC AGS000 had that for two years and now have a 3.02 J SI1 GIA triple X that I am happy with, I wouldn't go any larger.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326658290|3103561 said:
My original diamond was a 1 ct. round, and for our 30th anniversary I got a new 1.63 ct. stone from GOG. I am in the process of swapping it for a 1.58 G VS1 round and resetting. I have no desire for an upgrade in size at all.

:lol: Well, I guess I need to update, too!

I didn't have a desire for a larger mrb at all. But what I really loved were antique cuts and especially Good Old Gold August Vintage Rounds. But they never had anything with the specs I wanted. But when I finally sent for some to look at, I was able to adjust my color and size expectations. With AVR's, I fell in love with the facets and wanted a larger stone to see them even better! So I ended up with a 2.3 ct I VS1! I'd wear an even larger one because I love the diamond so much, but I really do not think a larger one fits in my world very well. This one fits my finger well, and I am totally happy with the other specs, so I am hoping this is my forever e-ring! I do really want an AVC and in my dreams my third diamond would be a large emerald cut!

Maybe someone will bump this thread in a couple of years and we'll see how many upgrades have been done at that time! :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am happy with the size of my e-ring! It is 1.89ct in an octagonal bezel so it has a very good hand presence.

I am feeling the urge for something *new* though. Like a reset in yellow gold. But no $$$ for it ;( Oh well.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1376667817|3504358 said:
I am happy with the size of my e-ring! It is 1.89ct in an octagonal bezel so it has a very good hand presence.

I am feeling the urge for something *new* though. Like a reset in yellow gold. But no $$$ for it ;( Oh well.

Girl, don't do it. Do something fun for RHR! Your setting is perfect. Although I will say, I've caught the YG bug, but I direct that bug to necklaces or earrings now. I'm not messing with what's on my hands!

I still am satisfied (I believe I posted earlier in this thread). My wedding set is probably not what I have chosen *now*, but it is still very much still me and every time I look at my hand, it's just very comforting. My new RH bling kills any urge for more flash.

And I still don't have any desire for a larger rock, because I wouldn't change what I had unless it was a GIANT rock, and quite frankly...I'd feel pretty uncomfortable wearing a giant rock! ::)

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I started with about .30 round, .84 pear, and ended with a 2.24 late OEC. At 8.5mm on 3.5 fingers, it can look huge.

But it looks substantial and delicate actually, due to Single Stone's artistry with filigree, milgraine and beading. I wore the pear with a yg semi-halo band and they were soldered together. It was looking sooo dated, and didn't compare in the financial circle we worked ourselves up to. I'm not a total size whore, I am more crazy for vintage and design. It actually bothered me more my setting was dated than that the diamond wasn't big enough. Okay, the size bothered me some in recent years. We had half of nothin' when we got married and it was so nice to be able to afford it. I love it and he knows I appreciate it so much and I don't want/need an upgrade but...I would like to get one more diamond of comparable size in a different cut for my RHR. Asscher, cushion, emerald? My long term scheme is to have these two rings for my daughter's upgrades one day. I don't want to go into the nursing home with this jewelry, maybe one sweet eternity band instead? I would love for them to have great experiences in the jewelry realm-I'm happy to give the SIL a ring to present for an upgrade or RHR when I am an old broad. Or maybe they'll do better or bigger than me :)) More power to 'em.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We all change our minds from time to time, so I'm not sure how anyone could know 100% that they would be satisfied with their diamond size for all eternity....
Having said that, I am mostly satisfied at this time in my life. There are times when I think that a 2 carat would be nice, but that's balanced out by the fact that I have very small hands and a larger diamond might be too much in certain settings.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1376667817|3504358 said:

Don't do it! Your journey was fun, exciting and stressful (for me) at times. But you got there in the end and have a kick arse ring. Leave it, it's amazeballs! It looks great with ask the stackers you've had it with as well.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1376674304|3504394 said:
We all change our minds from time to time, so I'm not sure how anyone could know 100% that they would be satisfied with their diamond size for all eternity....

Ditto this! I'm currently 100% satisfied, but who can say if I'll still be satisfied 2, 3, 5, 10 years from now? I was completely satisfied with my original .7ct OEC, then I got bitten by the size bug and now I also have a 2.42ct OEC. I really love the size, but I'm not going to pretend DSS doesn't exist. My new stone has gone from seeming ginormous on my finger to now being just right. :lol: Check back with me in a year and we'll see what I'm thinking then.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad this thread has seen some recent attention! I am happy with my stone and setting right now. It's my first ring, and honestly, I never thought I'd ever wear one this size... it's a 2.43 ct, J @ 8.7 mm, so I consider myself really lucky! :)) My husband thinks it 's too big, but I've corrected him -- I mean, really??? ...a diamond that's too big???!!! :???: :roll: :lol: In order for him to agree to let me pick out this ring, I promised that I'd never have to upgrade. (fingers crossed, of course) ;)) :lol: That said, I have a halo setting, so it does seem a lot larger to me... thankfully. :bigsmile:

I went to my jeweler to try on larger solitaires "just for fun," and found that the 9.5 stones weren't doing it for me and the 9mm solitaires just looked small after wearing my halo. :???: :oops: :cry: I had thought I might upgrade at a later date or for an anniversary in the next 5-10 years, but after this experience, I don't think I'd be satisfied with anything less than a 10mm solitaire, so.... I'm loving the halo, because I can about guarantee I'll never EVER own a diamond that large!! ::)

It will be interesting to see how many of us will upgrade in the next year or so... If I change anything, it will be my setting -- from a halo to ANOTHER HALO!! <hehehe> ;)) :sun: :halo:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1326639930|3103385 said:
I love my ring... it's perfect.. but every now and then.. I wonder what it would look like had it been a 1.5 versus 1.3.. so not a whole lot bigger... but curious....

I think if I had gone the non-halo route I would feel this way more often...

Yes, please only believe half of what I say... Because clearly I was in denial... 1.3 halo gone.... 2.0 ct solitaire.. DSS should set in any day :-o

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.40 which was upgraded after 25 years from a very small diamond. I am completely and utterly satisfied. And the truth be told, there are some days I wish it were 1 ct.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My three stone is 1.67ctw..sometimes I wish it were a full 2cts or at a more rounded number like 1.75 even. Have considered adding a little band w/it to boost it up but can never decide what to get.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results