shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you entertain yourself on trips? Podcast suggestions?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
On Tuesday I will be departing Philadelphia and heading to the Bay Area to start my new job. My father and I are doing the drive (DH will join me later) and I am already dreading the land of little-cell-phone coverage on days 2 and 3 of the trip where I likely won't be abel to amuse myself by watching movies and TV shows on my iPhone using my Netflix app.

So, I need suggestions beyond the usual reading or license plate game for how I (or my father) can entertain myself during the 4 days I will be on the road.

I plan on downloading copious amounts of Podcasts this weekend to my phone to help pass the time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look for?

Thanks in advance for the help. I have about 46 hours of driving to cover!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: How do you entertain yourself on trips? Podcast suggesti

Clairitek -

Get the 'Car Talk' podcasts for sure and 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me' because laughter makes any trip seem shorter. And depending on your father's tastes 'This American Life' could be good too. And they're free which is always nice! If either of you are foodies, 'The Splendid Table' is also good. Lynne Rossetto Kasper has such a great voice and you learn things.

Have a great trip!

princesss

Ideal_Rock

This American Life
The Moth Radio Hour

Those two keep me more than entertained on my long drives.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

rainwood said:
Clairitek -

Get the 'Car Talk' podcasts for sure and 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me' because laughter makes any trip seem shorter. And depending on your father's tastes 'This American Life' could be good too. And they're free which is always nice! If either of you are foodies, 'The Splendid Table' is also good. Lynne Rossetto Kasper has such a great voice and you learn things.

Have a great trip!

Awesome! I've heard of TAL but haven't actually listened to it myself. I wouldn't be surprised if my father has because he regularly listens to NPR. I'll have to print out the NPR channels for our trip as well! Thanks for the other suggestions. I remember listening to Car Talk on road trips with my parents when I was little. I haven't done it for a while though!

I think the trip will be... fun. For the most part. I'll be happy to spend so much time with my father. We have so much in common (we are in the same industry for work, though I'm just starting my professional life now that I'm done with my PhD) and get along really well. I think it will be fairly boring between Chicago and Salt Lake City, but who knows- maybe I will be totally surprised!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I like Adam Carolla and Bill Simmon's "hollywood/entertainment/reality show" podcasts. Your dad might enjoy Bill Simmon's regular sports podcasts. I especially like Adam's when Teresa's on it.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the suggestions Princesss!
I'm making a great list here.

ForteKitty said:
I like Adam Carolla and Bill Simmon's "hollywood/entertainment/reality show" podcasts. Your dad might enjoy Bill Simmon's regular sports podcasts. I especially like Adam's when Teresa's on it.

Funny thing about my father- he isn't American (well he is now, wasn't born here and grew up in NZ) and doesn't follow or understand popular American sports at all! I FREAKING LOVE Bill Simmons and find him HILARIOUS. I can especially relate to the teams he follows considering we are from the same region. His book "Now I can Die in Peace" had me in tears from laughter.

I didn't know that he and Adam Corolla did another podcast together because I also find Adam Corolla hilarious but don't always want to listen to he and Bill Simmons talking about the NBA (which I can't stand). Will make sure to get some of these too! Thank goodness I recently received a 16 GB iPhone to replace my 8 GB iPhone. Now I have tons of space!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

i dont think ESPN allows Bill to do podcasts with Adam anymore, but i could be wrong... they are hilarious together!

eta: bill simmons is a lil hottie too :bigsmile:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock

ForteKitty said:

I love Adam and BS as well, but Adam can be a bit vulgar so be forewarned. Doesn't bother me but I would be embarrassed to listen to it around my parents.

If you like word games at all, I love NPR's Sunday Puzzle. DH and I will listen to that on road trips, and take breaks between podcasts as we try and figure out the puzzles.

I like the "how stuff works" podcasts as well, especially the "What you missed in history class" one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No entertainment.
Traveling itself, new surroundings and people is very interesting to me.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diggnation!!!!

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock

Haha, I was going to make some suggestions but people already beat me to my favorites! This American Life is really great, it's nice to get really wrapped up in some stories.
Radio Lab is good too. I had a bad experience with it though, my BF and I were on a super long road trip and I was tired, so he took over. He put RL on and it was focused on parasites....I could not fall asleep despite how tired I was. Haha, it was really interesting though.
I also love Market Place, but it's only have an hour. Plus Morning Edition is really interesting, and All Things Considered.
Oh gosh, I just love NPR!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

I'm going to second the "Stuff You Should Know" podcasts. FI and I listen to them constantly. From the Freemasons to Legos to Grow Houses to Prison to Serial Killers...all awesome. Josh and Chuck even made the podcast on Saunas interesting!

I've enjoyed the history and science ones as well, but the original SYSK are still the best!

princesss

Ideal_Rock

I've never heard of Stuff You Should Know. That's right up my alley! I'm totally stealing that suggestion.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny said:
No entertainment.
Me, too.

I'm also a daydreamer, so if there isn't anything in view that interests me I retreat into my own head and dream away.

reader

Brilliant_Rock

More Hip than Hippie was always good. Also give the BBC podcasts a shot. I love the News Quiz with Sandy Toxfig, but there are a lot of really good ones. ABC (Australia) offers a good selection of podcasts, and the voices and music aren't grating.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

ForteKitty said:
i dont think ESPN allows Bill to do podcasts with Adam anymore, but i could be wrong... they are hilarious together!

eta: bill simmons is a lil hottie too :bigsmile:

Agreed!

He is up there on the list of celebrities I would love to meet. I adore NFL time because I think his columns get a lot more interesting.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

kenny said:
No entertainment.

I agree that new places and people are interesting but I won't be seeing a lot of the people. This is a 3000 mile road trip that I'll be doing almost entirely on Route 80 going through PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and then Nothern CA. I have a feeling the scenery won't change as much during days 2 and 3 when I am going through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming. I do wish we had more time to stop and look around and see people and do things! I wouldn't be worried about entertainment at all. But due to the time constraints of needing to be there as soon as possible we will be whizzing by everything interesting.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

stephb0lt said:
ForteKitty said:

I love Adam and BS as well, but Adam can be a bit vulgar so be forewarned. Doesn't bother me but I would be embarrassed to listen to it around my parents.

If you like word games at all, I love NPR's Sunday Puzzle. DH and I will listen to that on road trips, and take breaks between podcasts as we try and figure out the puzzles.

I like the "how stuff works" podcasts as well, especially the "What you missed in history class" one.

Added to the list! Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NPR will be great.

I could loan you my brother for entertainment. He's freaking hilarious. I would rent him out for oh....$10/hr.? Let me know.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Thanks also to Kama, pinkstars, sillyberry, and reader for their suggestions.

Haven- If I get the chance I definitely want some time to regroup. This is such a major life change (going from 10 years of higher ed to the career world, 3000 miles from home) and I certainly have a lot of stuff to work through. Perhaps I will be afforded some quiet time while my father is driving or sleeping to just be with my thoughts.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

monarch64 said:
NPR will be great.

I could loan you my brother for entertainment. He's freaking hilarious. I would rent him out for oh....$10/hr.? Let me know.

Sure! But he will have to ride in the backseat with the cats. I can just pick him up on my way through Indiana, right?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clairitek said:
monarch64 said:
NPR will be great.

Sure! But he will have to ride in the backseat with the cats. I can just pick him up on my way through Indiana, right?

Oh, he will drive you the rest of the way to your destination. I will vouch that he is a great driver. (But that is all.)

He likes cats.

This could work. ;-)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Clairitek said:
kenny said:
No entertainment.

I agree that new places and people are interesting but I won't be seeing a lot of the people. This is a 3000 mile road trip that I'll be doing almost entirely on Route 80 going through PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and then Nothern CA. I have a feeling the scenery won't change as much during days 2 and 3 when I am going through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming. I do wish we had more time to stop and look around and see people and do things! I wouldn't be worried about entertainment at all. But due to the time constraints of needing to be there as soon as possible we will be whizzing by everything interesting.

Swing through Montana and see meeee!!!!!!!!! :)

It's all place dependent for me. In New Zealand, great scenery, absolutely agreed with Kenny in that traveling was the entertainment (especially with beautiful views and twisting roads). Unfortunately, the US highway system, while extremely efficient, tends to be pretty darn boring (especially in the midwest/west east of the Rockies). So I would be bored like nothing other.

How about a good audiobook Claire? Something you would both like? And something exciting since you don't want the driver getting sleepy :razz:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One of the most intense experiences of my life happened while was driving alone across the USA last year.
It was night and I was on small roads driving through a desert far away from any of the cities of New Mexico.
The only thing I could find on the AM radio was Native American music.

I cannot articulate it but let me say it was a positively spiritual experience, like being transported in time.
The music was at the same time so foreign yet so universal.

I love the saying "Be Here Now".

Entertainment replaces the here and the now with something .......... "better".
It is vulgar but sometimes I see entertainment as life-masturbation.
While watching a show of a beautiful young couple walking on a tropical beach and you kind ARE them for a time.

I am not anti-entertainment; I love films and music.
My issue is with how it has gotten out of hand.
Sometimes I feel sad when I see video/TV screens everywhere - in restaurants, cars on the road, above the line at the bank...
Yesterday I filled my gas tank at the Chevron station and every pump had a video screen and someone talking to me. :angryfire:
Not surprising I guess when so many of us had TV and media used as baby sitters.

It's almost like we have all been brainwashed to never be alone with our thoughts.
Apologies to the OP; this is in no way intended to be a criticism of you, just general observation and speculation on my part.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

Kenny - I agree wholeheartedly.

I really love to just drive and see things. I love seeing new places.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, something else that's great on NPR is Storycorps. They're kind of short, but they're just so sweet. I cry at almost everyone I listen to, which can be kind of awkward at work. They're lovely though!

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock

ditto on the moth. 5-10 minute stories, told without notes, in front of an audience. i have been blown away by some of them.

reader

Brilliant_Rock

Driving in NM and TX is a spiritual experience, done it several times. Driving in the midwest, not so much. I really don't like driving in Ohio.

Also Capitol Steps put out a show a few times a year, and you can find them in the podcast section as well.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock

Another vote for RadioLab. You can dork out to any topic (which I know is just your style!) The one on zoos is amazing, and coincidence blew my mind; just so many fascinating podcasts with such meticulous research. My only issue with it is when i can go to sleep but I want to hear the end of it. I've done that drive, though not too recently, and there were parts where we couldn't even get NPR. Then again, tuning into local radio can have its interesting bits. My sister and I still quote to each other from the megachurch service we tuned into.

I would however avoid the sperm Radiolab podcast with your dad, though totally family friendly and really interesting it just...well, I saw The Squid and the Whale with my father and that was enough.

Smo

Shiny_Rock

Another vote for Radiolab. Especially the Oops episode, it is amazing!

Otherwise, I have recently listened to a few great audiobooks: The Passage by Justin Cronin, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and anything by Robin Hobb.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results