shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Music 2016

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each year we have had a thread in which people could post their favorite holiday music, whether it was new songs or old favorites. I wanted to start the thread this year with a song from a new album that was just released in time for the 2016 holiday season by Pentatonix. I use the term "holiday season" advisedly, because I believe it was released in October, before Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving, as well as before Chanukah and Christmas. Songs by Pentatonix often receive a warm welcome here, and I think this arrangement was really nicely done. I am also posting it because it is ironic that the song's composer, Leonard Cohen, was to die so soon after the release of this new version of the song. May he rest in peace.

I hope many people will feel moved to contribute to this thread this year. It is a non-commercial way in which we can share something beautiful: music.

Hallelujah by Pentatonix...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP8d7hhpoQ

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning Deb :wavey:

I've been waiting for you to open the new music thread for this season. I just bought this CD, all pipe organ. I find good organ music can evoke such feelings of reverance, and this CD is no exception. Really puts you in the mood of Christmas and reminds you of what it's all about.

You can scroll down and listen to samples.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CBUONA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I don't think Sarah could sing anything badly, such a truly lovely voice.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, Deb, you posted both of my choices! :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a Hawaiian Song (carol) in my head. It is ancient like everything else inside there which is, in part, why I don't know who sings it or what they are saying (Hawaiian). All I know is that the voice is male--and hits those high notes beautifully.

It is from my youth--and I heard it again played on some track in a mall in Maui (when we were there a couple of years ago around US Thanksgiving. ) I googled words and you tubed the same....but nada!

Sorry this isn't helpful but I'd love to hear it again. :))

cheers--Sharon

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a doubt, the song that breaks my heart and uplifts me at Christmas is this song below.. my mother played it my whole childhood, a 78 rpm album.. in a record player from the 40s.. I miss all my family now, most are gone, so when I listen to this, I feel so sad and so happy at the memories - they go something like this: my first Patty PlayPal Doll, get an iron for little girls (and burning the hell out of my arm, no lie, just like the real iron but small :)) getting True Dectective the game, dang loved that game, eviscerating my foot on a game that my little brothers received that had spikes to catch balls (seriously looked like I stepped on 30 needles and I had to go to the doctor), walking by my mom's christmas tree and being afraid that the angel hair would slice my hand off (although it looked beautiful! but she put too much on).. afraid of the tinsel also! but it also looked beautiful.. remembering my grandmother and my grandfather coming with a huge turkey 24lbs always in the oven.. creme de menthe! in little glasses, egg nog! snow.. sleds, me being mad that my sister ALWAYS get the best gifts (I was the little sister :) I never change one thing.. I feel lucky and blessed to have experienced Christmas in the 50s and early 60s at my parents house.. we grow up, get married (then anyway) have in laws but I will never forget my mom putting cheddar cheese on ritz crackers, cream cheese on our celery, anchovies on ritz crackers (my dad loved this one).. ribbon candy, chocolate santas, candy canes on our christmas tree, dolls, all around trauma, drama, and LOVE.. so much love.. miss those days for sure.. Merry Christmas, Happy Festivus, Happy Happy Hanukkah, happy Kwanzaa, happy Holidays, peace on earth and good will towards each and every one of you guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z07LaaY8VJ8

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate-

I love that version of, "The Little Drummer Boy", which I, also, remember from my childhood. I was very impressed at everything you recalled about the Christmases of your youth. They made me think, "Oh, yes! That's the way it used to be!". But I never would have remembered those things on my own. My Great Aunt Veronica used to have an artificial metallic Christmas tree with lights that shined on it on years when she didn't have angel hair (was it always blue?) on the tree. (Most of my family had freshly cut trees.) She also gave out popcorn balls wrapped in brightly colored red, yellow, blue, and green cellophane on Christmas Day. The tinsel was metal, not plastic. So much to remember!

And here is my next contribution. It is diamondseeker's lasting contribution to the Pricescope holiday music threads: Joy Williams" beautiful Christmas song, "Here With Us".

"Here With Us"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5-95_Byjo

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of angel hair (which we didn't use) and tinsel made of metal (which we did), my brother and I made paper chains out of red and green construction paper to decorate our Christmas tree. These were wound around the tree like the silver metal garlans. I remember making them being a lot of fun. To justify this posting I offer up

Light of the Stable...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJ5FnM0Bzo

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1480600258|4104014 said:
I've been waiting for you to oI just bought this CD, all pipe organ. I find good organ music can evoke such feelings of reverance, and this CD is no exception. Really puts you in the mood of Christmas and reminds you of what it's all about.

You can scroll down and listen to samples.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CBUONA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you so much for this link, Miss Ellen. I found that the samples Amazon offered were so short that I really couldn't get any satisfaction from them, so I tried YouTube. I was lucky and found one link that provides many pieces from the Noel album in their entirety. I am posting that link. Thank you again for making me aware of this musician and his work!

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tioK5FQ5UEk

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1480602616|4104019 said:
Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) | BYU Noteworthy (Chris Tomlin A Cappella Cover);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Mtpk4jeVA

"Amazing Grace" is one of my favorite songs ever. I used to sing it to my daughter when she was an infant. I was mesmerized by how the video of this was shot, with the changing light and the verses sung without candles and with candles, etc. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing it!

Deb

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1480901012|4104825 said:
Speaking of angel hair (which we didn't use) and tinsel made of metal (which we did), my brother and I made paper chains out of red and green construction paper to decorate our Christmas tree. These were wound around the tree like the silver metal garlans. I remember making them being a lot of fun. To justify this posting I offer up

Light of the Stable...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJ5FnM0Bzo

Deb/AGBF

We did too! great memories.... :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1480979668|4105013 said:
AGBF|1480901012|4104825 said:
Speaking of angel hair (which we didn't use) and tinsel made of metal (which we did), my brother and I made paper chains out of red and green construction paper to decorate our Christmas tree. These were wound around the tree like the silver metal garlans. I remember making them being a lot of fun.

We did too! great memories.... :)

Usually the holiday music thread isn't full of talk and certainly isn't full of visuals. (Sometimes there is a separate thread on people's holiday decorations that supplies that eye candy!) But I had to post a photo of a red and green paper chain and of a tree decorated with one so that people who have never seen one could get something of an idea of what it looked like. Of course in those days trees looked entirely different. They were usually heavily laden with metal tinsel!

Deb :wavey:

christmasredandgreenchain2.jpg

christmasredandgreenchainontree.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1480873890|4104723 said:
Without a doubt, the song that breaks my heart and uplifts me at Christmas is this song below.. my mother played it my whole childhood, a 78 rpm album.. in a record player from the 40s.. I miss all my family now, most are gone, so when I listen to this, I feel so sad and so happy at the memories - they go something like this: my first Patty PlayPal Doll, get an iron for little girls (and burning the hell out of my arm, no lie, just like the real iron but small :)) getting True Dectective the game, dang loved that game, eviscerating my foot on a game that my little brothers received that had spikes to catch balls (seriously looked like I stepped on 30 needles and I had to go to the doctor), walking by my mom's christmas tree and being afraid that the angel hair would slice my hand off (although it looked beautiful! but she put too much on).. afraid of the tinsel also! but it also looked beautiful.. remembering my grandmother and my grandfather coming with a huge turkey 24lbs always in the oven.. creme de menthe! in little glasses, egg nog! snow.. sleds, me being mad that my sister ALWAYS get the best gifts (I was the little sister :) I never change one thing.. I feel lucky and blessed to have experienced Christmas in the 50s and early 60s at my parents house.. we grow up, get married (then anyway) have in laws but I will never forget my mom putting cheddar cheese on ritz crackers, cream cheese on our celery, anchovies on ritz crackers (my dad loved this one).. ribbon candy, chocolate santas, candy canes on our christmas tree, dolls, all around trauma, drama, and LOVE.. so much love.. miss those days for sure.. Merry Christmas, Happy Festivus, Happy Happy Hanukkah, happy Kwanzaa, happy Holidays, peace on earth and good will towards each and every one of you guys!

Wow, your memories were so bittersweet, and so evocative that I could almost feel and see them (though I have to confess as to not being familiar with angel hair). After such beautifully written memories, I had to listen to your song, and lo and behold, it turns out it was my Mom's favorite Christmas song! I remember her tearing up when listening to it on the radio and me being far too young to understand the poignancy of the words. Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1481083561|4105317 said:
Tekate|1480873890|4104723 said:

Wow, your memories were so bittersweet, and so evocative that I could almost feel and see them (though I have to confess as to not being familiar with angel hair). After such beautifully written memories, I had to listen to your song, and lo and behold, it turns out it was my Mom's favorite Christmas song! I remember her tearing up when listening to it on the radio and me being far too young to understand the poignancy of the words. Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Thank you, I think my memories are bittersweet when I think of it. Miss those times but wouldn't go back. Our mom's had great taste in Christmas music... Angel hair was spun glass, yes slice your fingers and hands glass... but it was quite beautiful around the christmas lights, a halo effect, my mom loved it, I ran from it ;-)

Merry Christmas to you also!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really enjoy listening to Transiberian orchestra Christmas music and selections from Handels Messiah this time of the year. I bought one of those "Alexa" devices for cyber Monday and I'm enjoying the background music.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deb--I just left a little note for you on Loupe Troop in case you'd like to connect there! No pressure either way. 8)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1481653869|4106924 said:
Hi Deb--I just left a little note for you on Loupe Troop in case you'd like to connect there! No pressure either way. 8)

I may have registered there, Indy Lady, but I never used it. I don't know how to or even where the website is anymore!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I absolutely love Bing Crosby's voice, I never cared for the song "White Christmas" until I heard (and saw) this version by Michael Bublé and Kellie Pickler last year. I had to post it this year in case anyone had missed it or forgotten it. I just watched it again and enjoyed it again.

White Christmas...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Go85FfSEgM

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1481746222|4107265 said:
Although I absolutely love Bing Crosby's voice, I never cared for the song "White Christmas" until I heard (and saw) this version by Michael Bublé and Kellie Pickler last year. I had to post it this year in case anyone had missed it or forgotten it. I just watched it again and enjoyed it again.

White Christmas...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Go85FfSEgM

Addendum: The credit for the female vocalist's interpretation of the singing role may belong more to Shania Twain than to Kellie Pickler. I do not know who arranged the music for that version of the song. I have, however, listened to Kellie Pickler's single of "White Christmas" and what she sings on her own album bears no resemblance to what she sings in her duet with Michael Bublé. The duet Michael Bublé sang on his album with Shania Twain, however, sounds very similar to the duet he sang on stage with Kellie Pickler.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1480717210|4104403 said:
I have a Hawaiian Song (carol) in my head. It is ancient like everything else inside there which is, in part, why I don't know who sings it or what they are saying (Hawaiian). All I know is that the voice is male--and hits those high notes beautifully.

It is from my youth--and I heard it again played on some track in a mall in Maui (when we were there a couple of years ago around US Thanksgiving. ) I googled words and you tubed the same....but nada!

Sorry this isn't helpful but I'd love to hear it again. :))

Sharon-

Your posting has stayed on my mind and today I heard a song called "Christmas Island" played while I was out and about. When I got home I researched it on the 'net in case it was "your" song. There is one version of it by The Andrews sisters on YouTube and many other versions, too. There is also "The Hawaiian Christmas Song" by Bing Crosby there. And if one goes to those songs, similar songs tend to pop up. ;))

Here are a couple of links.

"Christmas Island"...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MYiqBm408
"Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian Christmas Song) "...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvGKUXW0iI

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon-

I just found this. Your comment about a man who "hits those high notes beautifully" made me wonder about deep-voiced Bing Crosby having sung the version of "The Hawaiian Christmas Song" you remembered. So I looked again and I discovered this version. Apparently Bing Crosby recorded one version with The Andrews Sisters. In this version, at least, there are some high notes hit (by the females!). Try it. Is it the song you remembered?

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHk_8izVqY

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Deb...thanks for your input. It isn't Bing Crosby,'as the make singer I "hear in my head" has a much higher voice (tenor?) And the words/it is sung in Hawaiian.

You'd think it would be easy!

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1482251703|4108566 said:
Deb...thanks for your input. It isn't Bing Crosby,'as the make singer I "hear in my head" has a much higher voice (tenor?) And the words/it is sung in Hawaiian.

You'd think it would be easy!

Well, Sharon, I found a huge number of Christmas songs from the South Pacific, many specifically from Hawaii, but not all of them were in Hawaiian and some of the ones in Hawaiian were clearly translations of songs like "Jingle Bells", so I ruled them out. Could this be it? It is "E Aloha E" by Brickwood Galuteria. I liked it a lot.

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz9xTYwv0DE

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results