color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1487459276|4130613 said:
VRBeauty|1487455503|4130589 said:
Another "not Netflix": after running out of the first season of The Crown, we started watching Victoria last night. I suspect it will be our go to show until we run out of episodes!

A friend of mine, whose taste in tv/movies I find reliably excellent, loves Victoria. I would like to see it at some point.

Should we start a not Netflix thread of shows we recommend?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched a few episodes of new documentary series on netflix called Abstract. Absolute gem. Fascinating topics and nicely shot.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1487037437|4128335 said:
Thanks to this thread I started watching Santa Clarita Diet. I am obsessed (but also grossed out). Hilarious!

I am laughing OUT LOUD!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Great recommendation!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished Frequency and I really really liked it! A father and daughter communicate via a radio with the daughter being 20 years ahead in time from the father. They are both police officers. :)

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of HBO shows I've been watching:

Big Little Lies - the premiere was last night and it looks like it's going to be interesting. The first episode was confusing, so I'll keep watching, because it's full of mystery/suspense and the cast is UNBELIEVABLE.

Enlightened - Laura Dern and Luke Wilson - it was on from 2011 to 2013, just two seasons, but a friend recommended it, so I tried it. Really interesting show about a woman who basically has a nervous breakdown at work, goes to a treatment center in Hawaii for a few months, and comes out Enlightened(ish). I like this story - it's a real look at the struggle to navigate through this world as an adult while trying to be a healthy person at the same time.

A friend recommended The Divorce (with Sarah Jessica Parker), and I haven't started it yet, but I think I'm going to try it. Anyone else watching this?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1487623968|4131285 said:
I just finished Frequency and I really really liked it! A father and daughter communicate via a radio with the daughter being 20 years ahead in time from the father. They are both police officers. :)

That sounds really interesting!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
violet3|1487631040|4131375 said:
A couple of HBO shows I've been watching:

Big Little Lies - the premiere was last night and it looks like it's going to be interesting. The first episode was confusing, so I'll keep watching, because it's full of mystery/suspense and the cast is UNBELIEVABLE.

Enlightened - Laura Dern and Luke Wilson - it was on from 2011 to 2013, just two seasons, but a friend recommended it, so I tried it. Really interesting show about a woman who basically has a nervous breakdown at work, goes to a treatment center in Hawaii for a few months, and comes out Enlightened(ish). I like this story - it's a real look at the struggle to navigate through this world as an adult while trying to be a healthy person at the same time.

A friend recommended The Divorce (with Sarah Jessica Parker), and I haven't started it yet, but I think I'm going to try it. Anyone else watching this?

Ooh TY for the reminder for Big Little Lies!! I'm a fan of the author/book that the show is based on, I completely forgot to DVR the first epi though!

I'm finally catching up on Homeland. I was so angry after what I felt was a complete debacle (season three) that I quit watching. I'm now finishing season four, after the reviews for the latest seasons were so strong that I couldn't stay away.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone like foreign horror movies? "The Wailing" (Korean) was excellent. It's very long, but I have to admit, it got me. :-o

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished what's available of Santa Clarita diet and I'm sad about it. Loved that show and waiting for next season. Also became obsessed with schitts Creek, but devoured it in like 3 days. Now waiting for season 3.

Need more recommendations from the thread!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOMAN IN GOLD. Staggering. Nauseating... I won't say which parts were.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Hitler, A Career"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191182/

I've watched every WWII documentary I can get my hands on.
This one just showed up, streaming on Netflix.

I'm always interested in the why, the psychology behind what happened.
Surprisingly, though it was made way back in 1977, it looks behind the curtain more than any other doc I've seen ... both into Hitler's mind and the minds of the German people of the 1920s and 30s and the similarities to Trump and today's America are chilling.

After he gained power rallies were an essential tool of Hitler.
They meant everything to him.

I've read that Trump reads Hitler's Manifesto, "Mein Kampf". :knockout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1487639378|4131472 said:
Does anyone like foreign horror movies? "The Wailing" (Korean) was excellent. It's very long, but I have to admit, it got me. :-o

We were watching this and I love foreign movies in general and I always love a good horror movie but now I cannot remember if we finished it. OK just asked my dh and he said yes we finished it and we liked it very much. LOL perhaps I am watching too many movies if I cannot remember them. ::)

Please please share any more good horror movie (foreign or not) recommendations. We love good horror/scary (not gory) movies and there seem so few of them that are really good.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1487086290|4128575 said:
telephone89|1486414600|4124985 said:
Damn, had to go back 4 pages to find this thread!!

Some new additions:

3% - Easily one of my favourite series ever. It's a dystopian future where each 20 year old can go try out for 'the selection'. Most of the participants live in slums with little to eat. Only the top 3% make it, and get sent to the offshore - the luxury life where they won't have to worry about living conditions/food/medicine/etc. It looks like its originally filmed in Brazil and in Portuguese, but its dubbed in English. I'm sad there was only 1 season.

Paranoia - This is a british cop show, kind of like the killing, though slightly less depressing. I'm not finished it yet, but will be this week.

Also catching up on Suits, and want to start 'the santa clarita diet'.
THANK YOU telephon89 :wavey: !!!

When I first started 3%, I was like wtf I can't crochet and read subtitles at the same time! Then when you posted about it being "dubbed in English", a light bulb went off - let me check the settings and voila, ENGLISH dubbing!!! I PUFFY PUFFY PUFFY heart this show and I'm on episode 4 right now. The characters are wonderfully developed and complex in all the right ways - they feel "real". Just when you're ready to hate on someone as the "bad guy" you're shown another side of him/her, and vice versa. Eeee...!

How did you find the english dub? There is a particular movie I found on netflix that I only know by the english dub. I tried watching with subtitles and its just not the same. If the english dub is on there it would make my day!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BP - Its in the settings.
Once youre in the show, theres an 'audio & subtitles' button (mine is the top left of the screen, I hit the 'up' button to access), then you can changes the subtitles and the audio. Ex, in the 3% I can see subtitles in English, Portuguese, French, Spanish and Italian, and audio in Portuguese, English and Spanish.
The variety will depend on what show you're watching likely, and not all movies/shows with subtitles will be dubbed.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89|1487707638|4131805 said:
BP - Its in the settings.
Once youre in the show, theres an 'audio & subtitles' button (mine is the top left of the screen, I hit the 'up' button to access), then you can changes the subtitles and the audio. Ex, in the 3% I can see subtitles in English, Portuguese, French, Spanish and Italian, and audio in Portuguese, English and Spanish.
The variety will depend on what show you're watching likely, and not all movies/shows with subtitles will be dubbed.

Ok I found it, but the English dub wasn't there for this particular movie. ;(

But I'm glad I know this so I can check other movies. Thanks!

Oh and FYI to everyone else - The season 3 of Chefs Table is out.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finished The Divorce on HBO - it's only one season (so far) and I thought it was well done. Love Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Hayden Church.

I started The Affair, on Showtime. It's a thriller of sorts - very interesting, but darker than I usually like. I've seen a few episodes so far, and I'll keep watching I think.

Contrary to the above choices in television, I really am a happily married woman :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVED the movie Sing Street. A sweet romantic movie with great music and just wonderful actors . Highly recommend. :appl:

Violet, the first couple seasons of The Affair were good but the last season my dh and I didn't care for. Took a weird turn and wasn't pleasant (for us) to watch but we finished it because we kept thinking it would get better. Anyway I cannot recommend it.

I started watching Divorce but didn't find it entertaining. I kept thinking it was a poor show compared to the Sex and the City series which I loved. Ha not a fair comparison as the only similarity is SJP but still the one my mind kept making. And I generally like dark but I felt this was dark and dull. Not a good combo.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm watching "Colony" and it's so good! Binging it today. It's about earth (specifically LA) after an alien invasion. It's considered sci fi, but [so far] there haven't been any aliens. The weirdest thing has been drones. It's more realistic, and based on the people/govt/how to survive. Really loving it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished 3% season 1 and we liked it very much. Is season 2 gonna happen? I hope so.
We just started watching The Crown last night. And loving it so far.

Telephone thanks for that recommendation. Will check it out.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys for recommending "Big Little Lies."

Last night I finally sat down to watch one episode - 10 minutes into it I felt like DH might like it too so I waited for him to be free to sit down with me.

We watched all 6 episodes back to back!

We are really enjoying it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys for recommending "Big Little Lies."

Last night I finally sat down to watch one episode - 10 minutes into it I felt like DH might like it too so I waited for him to be free to sit down with me.

We watched all 6 episodes back to back!

We are really enjoying it.

Glad you are enjoying it CJ! We just finished season 1 of The Crown. I think you would enjoy that if you haven't already seen it that is. Really good and I LOVE the clothing. Swoon!:love:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved "The Crown." Just started "Santa Clarita Diet." Not sure how I feel about it yet.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy
we LOVE The Crown (another one I watched because of the recommendation here).

We finished Season 1 today.

And you're right...the clothes! :love:

Not interested in the Santa Clarita Diet based on the comments here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy we LOVE The Crown (another one I watched because of the recommendation here).

We finished Season 1 today.

And you're right...the clothes! :love:

Not interested in the Santa Clarita Diet based on the comments here.

I'm sad there isn't a season 2 of The Crown yet but I hope there will be. It was so good. As for the Santa Clarita diet I'm with you. We tried watching but it was too gory. It had potential for sure but for all the blood and guts so had to pass.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been watching Parenthood on Netflix - I did watch it in real time, but I forgot where I had left off, so I started again.

I watched a couple episodes of the crown, and I really liked it too!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just started watching "13 reasons why." So far, so good. May be a difficult topic for some though.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori, I was just logging in to mention 13 Reasons Why. I avoided it at first because I thought it was some teen angsty drama. I'm only two episodes in but I really like it. It is pretty heavy though.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started watching "How to get away with murder" this weekend. I watched a few eps when it was on TV but I didn't like the format. Watching the eps all together kind of helps that, and I quite like it. I think I'm like 8 eps in now!

H and I watched "Train to Busan" this weekend too. It's a zombie movie from South Korea (no dubbing, only subtitles). It was actually one of the best zombie type movies I've seen. Very well made.

I'm going to look into 13 Reasons why. I don't think I've heard of it/seen it while scrolling.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I was just logging in to mention 13 Reasons Why. I avoided it at first because I thought it was some teen angsty drama. I'm only two episodes in but I really like it. It is pretty heavy though.
I am only two episodes in too. I am hooked. It's very heavy but maybe will bring awareness to bullying/suicide.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished 13 Reasons Why last night. Very disturbing material, but relevant to those raising kids today IMO. Lots of areas for discussion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results