color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1483043173|4110458 said:
Hardly "hidden" but a gem nonetheless: we're loving "The Crown."

Loved The Crown. Love shows that are well done and teach me history that I either should've known but didn't, or once knew and forgot!

Now watching The Fall. Has me hooked, but nearing the end, unfortunately.

I might have to try The OA, just because everyone is saying such good things about it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1483221794|4111182 said:
katharath|1483218710|4111168 said:
Missy and telephone - nice to see Creep getting some attention!! I just think it's cool that several of us liked it :)

I just started watching The OA (well, I'm about 4 epis in). Really into it at this point...

Oh, Katharath, because you recommended it, I immediately went to watch Creep. Afraid to say I couldn't do it! ;( I detest people like that in life, and would have been out the door at the first sign of weird/malicious/redundantly torturous behavior. I tried, I really tried - and I really like that character actor!

Aww I'm sorry :(. I completely understand, it's not going to be to everyone's taste. I'm glad you posted your thoughts about it though! It's good to share the different perspectives.

I'm going to watch The Crown too, it's on my list.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Omg. The OA!!! Wow!

It was...an experience. I thought it was beautiful. It is definitely not going to be for everyone. I know a lot of people online have said that it's too out there, even silly in parts.

I thought it was wonderful. I'm so glad I watched it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1483043173|4110458 said:
Hardly "hidden" but a gem nonetheless: we're loving "The Crown."

++1! So well done!

cheers--Sharon

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved and laughed immensely at Crazyhead series. I don't know if anyone else here would like it. Kind of reminded me of Buffy + The Misfits. I hope there is a second series.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to watching The Crown. Thank you for the recommendation everyone.

Katharath, yes we enjoyed both Creep and OA. Not for everyone no and I guess we have similar taste in movies/series.

Minous, The Fall is great. Glad you are enjoying it!

We are currently watching the original Netflix series Paranoid and enjoying it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1483038098|4110424 said:
+1 to Sour Grapes documentary

Black Mirror - each episode stands alone so try another if the first one doesn't grab you. They're like mini movies with the unifying theme of making you think about technology in our world and our future. I recommend "Nosedive" which is season 3 episode 1 I think.

I've been watching Jane the Virgin as my light and silly option.
Thank you for this! I watched the trailers for Black Mirror and didn't 'get' it. But after hearing they're stand alone ones, I decided to watch. Watched almost all of them over the holidays, very interesting concept! I think my favourites were the one with the spin bikes and the one with Jon Hamm (though I guessed the concept).

Also finished the Glitch. Super interesting. Brought up some interesting discussions with H about which wife should be chosen lol.

I feel like I've done literally nothing but watch Netflix since Dec 22 LOL.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this, as I just KNOW that more PSers have been enjoying new finds on Netflix. Let's hear it!

I watched Top of the Lake from start to finish, having started it, loved it and lost it on cable tv a few years back. Well worth watching.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sour grapes was well done--really enjoyed it! No pun intended :lickout:

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished watching "final girl" starring Abigail Breslin as a trained assassin that takes on a group of murderous young men. Quite fun and goes by quick for a movie!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minimalism - fun. Interesting, mentally and emotionally challenging

Chef's Table - if you're a foodie this is a must.

Touching the Void - climbing adventure, like Everest

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched "Poverty Inc" this weekend. It was VERY eye opening. Basically about how the developed world tries to 'help' the third world, and actually ends up harming them AND profiting off of it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn, had to go back 4 pages to find this thread!!

Some new additions:

3% - Easily one of my favourite series ever. It's a dystopian future where each 20 year old can go try out for 'the selection'. Most of the participants live in slums with little to eat. Only the top 3% make it, and get sent to the offshore - the luxury life where they won't have to worry about living conditions/food/medicine/etc. It looks like its originally filmed in Brazil and in Portuguese, but its dubbed in English. I'm sad there was only 1 season.

Paranoia - This is a british cop show, kind of like the killing, though slightly less depressing. I'm not finished it yet, but will be this week.

Also catching up on Suits, and want to start 'the santa clarita diet'.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1486414600|4124985 said:
Damn, had to go back 4 pages to find this thread!!

Some new additions:

3% - Easily one of my favourite series ever. It's a dystopian future where each 20 year old can go try out for 'the selection'. Most of the participants live in slums with little to eat. Only the top 3% make it, and get sent to the offshore - the luxury life where they won't have to worry about living conditions/food/medicine/etc. It looks like its originally filmed in Brazil and in Portuguese, but its dubbed in English. I'm sad there was only 1 season.

Paranoia - This is a british cop show, kind of like the killing, though slightly less depressing. I'm not finished it yet, but will be this week.

Also catching up on Suits, and want to start 'the santa clarita diet'.

I watched 3% a few weeks ago and meant to mention it in here. I know there's only one season so far, but it was renewed for season two, to my knowledge! I look forward to it. It didn't make it into my favorites (for reasons I won't mention as they're plot related), but I did like it a lot.

I watched the first epi of Santa Clarita Diet and I'm kind of iffy on it. Love the cast, and I was surprised at just how squeamish it was able to make me feel (I watch a lot of actual horror, lol). I think I'll give it another epi or two.

I've been rewatching House of Cards again with DH, bc he never saw it until recently. Looking forward to the new season of that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Telephone, I agree about the Santa Clarita Diet. We tried watching a few episodes but it is just too gory even for my dh (and definitely for me). Too bad because I enjoy Drew Barrymore and the premise of the series is interesting. But I guess they are pandering to all the many people who just LOVE (and are desensitized) to gore.

Thank you for the 3% recommendation. Sounds good and we are going to check that out.

We are watching the series Frequency and so far it is enjoyable. Would love to re watch the movie but it is only on MAX right now and that is the one premium cable channel we don't get.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Schitt's Creek. Omg, Annette Bening (channeling her Beetlejuice character) and Eugene Levy (channeling his Best in Show character kind of.) Hilarious. I'm 3 episodes into season 1 and am chuckling/laughing raucously.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1486595755|4126236 said:
Schitt's Creek. Omg, Annette Bening (channeling her Beetlejuice character) and Eugene Levy (channeling his Best in Show character kind of.) Hilarious. I'm 3 episodes into season 1 and am chuckling/laughing raucously.

Great show for sure! "Mom" is played by Catherine O'Hara...don't recall seeing Annette B.

cheers--Sharon

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really enjoying the 3%.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1486596001|4126237 said:
monarch64|1486595755|4126236 said:

Great show for sure! "Mom" is played by Catherine O'Hara...don't recall seeing Annette B.

cheers--Sharon

Ohhh, you're right! I had to google them both and look at side-by-side pics--could they not be sisters?! I am easily confused--I used to confuse Billy Joel with Elton John and Pink Floyd with Led Zeppelin. I know, sacrelige. :oops:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure no one here will share my enthusiasm, but I watched the first episode of Voltron over the weekend. Brought me right back to being 5 years old. It was so good!

Anime style cartoon show.

I have also been watching Jane the Virgin. I was skeptical first but I really appreciate the fact that the show doesn't take itself seriously at all. I like it now.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet said:
I'm sure no one here will share my enthusiasm, but I watched the first episode of Voltron over the weekend. Brought me right back to being 5 years old. It was so good!

I have also been watching Jane the Virgin. I was skeptical first but I really appreciate the fact that the show doesn't take itself seriously at all. I like it now.

Haha I like Jane the Virgin, too. It's an easy fun show to watch.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'd been contemplating starting Jane the Virgin - and then I accidentally read a MAJOR, very recent, spoiler. (It was on a website I visit, right there in the title, I didn't actually click on the article). And now I'm too mad to start it, lol!

I've started watching Chance on Hulu; I know, this is the Netflix thread!! I really like the show though, I'm about halfway through it. I'm a big Hugh Laurie fan. (I really liked The Night Manager too). So there are a couple of ideas, although not on Netflix :(

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just re-watched the entire Office series, which was lovely (and hilarious), and now are re-watching Monk (I've never seen it, DH has).

Kath: We were also watching Chance and I loved it! But think DH wasn't that entertained.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1486691889|4126862 said:
We just re-watched the entire Office series, which was lovely (and hilarious), and now are re-watching Monk (I've never seen it, DH has).

Kath: We were also watching Chance and I loved it! But think DH wasn't that entertained.

I "made" my DH watch Chance, bc it's not really his typical show (he's not averse to dramas, but he isn't nearly the fan that I am). He really surprised me, he got VERY into it very quickly! So that was nice. I think we're about 6-7 epis in.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just started The OA thanks to all your recommendations. One episode in - we'll definitely be go on to episode 2.

Up to the last episode of "The Crown" - saving it for a night when neither of us is too tired and we can really savor it.
(Or should we wait until we can really savour it? :wink2: )

BTW I'm not sure if it's currently available on Netflix, but Orphan Black is a great distraction!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved Jane the Virgin! Seriously, one of my all-time favorite Netflix shows and I cannot wait til season 3 comes out, if it ever does. Rogelio de la Vega is my spirit animal.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1486672180|4126678 said:

Me too! I tried this series a while ago and I didn't watch many episodes because I thought it was silly. I guess I've just been in a sillier mood lately, because I've really been enjoying it lately. I think it's funny!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1486692370|4126866 said:
I loved Jane the Virgin! Seriously, one of my all-time favorite Netflix shows and I cannot wait til season 3 comes out, if it ever does. Rogelio de la Vega is my spirit animal.

I read online that season three aired in October 2016, but I haven't seen it on netflix.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I really am sad about Jane bc it sounds so good; I just don't know if I can watch it and still enjoy it, knowing the massive spoiler that I now know. I seriously hate it when writers/editors/etc put major spoilers in the damn title of an article. :angryfire: Last year I was just about to watch an epi of Game of Thrones, it hadn't even finished airing on the west coast yet; I was innocently scrolling through yahoo and some idiot posted the major spoiler for the epi, which was *currently airing*, in the title. Of course I didn't click on the article, but the damage was already done. Argh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results