shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden in plain view

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
The following 'brainteaser' of sorts appeared in our local paper earlier this week. I've always prided myself in seeing 'beyond' what's in front of me so the fact that I've spent 3 days and only spotted 19 so far is really unsettling. Print this out and pass it around. I would love to see what others can find.
One clue I've noticed...the word can be in the middle of one word, or part of the ending of one and the begging of another. Good luck.

There are 30 books of the Bible in this paragraph. Can you find them? This is the most remarkable puzzle. It was found by a gentleman in an airplane seat pocket, on a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu, keeping him occupied for hours. He enjoyed it so much that he passed it on to some friends. One friend from Illinois worked on this while fishing from his john boat. Another friend studied it while playing his banjo. Elaine Taylor, a columnist, was so intrigued by it that she mentioned it in her weekly newspaper column. Another friend judges the job of solving this puzzle so involving, that she brews a cup of tea to help her nerves. There will be some names that are really easy to spot. That's a fact. Some people, however, will soon find themselves in a jam, especially since the book names are not necessarily capitalized. Truthfully, from answers we get, we are forced to admit it usually takes a minister or a scholar to see some of them at worst. Research has shown that something in our genes is responsible for the difficulty we have in seeing the books in this papagraph. During a recent fund raising event, which featured this puzzle, the Alpha Delta Phi lemonade booth set a new record. The local paper, The Chronicle, surveyed over 200 patrons who reported that this puzzle was one of the most difficult they had ever seen. As Daniel Human humbly puts it, "The books are all right here in plain view hidden from sight." Those able to find all of them will hear great lamentations from those who have to be shown. One revelation that may help is that books like Timothy and Samuel may occur without their numbers. Also, keep in mind, that punctuation and spaces in the middle are normal. A chipper attitude will help you compete really well against those who claim to know the answers. Remember, there is no need for a mad exodus; there really are 30 books of the Bible lurking somewhere in this paragraph waiting to be found.
God Bless.

Surely, between all of us here on PS and those we show this to, we can find 30
20.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Is there any chance that "Timothey" is misspelled?
2.gif

I''m busy working on it right now...

Oh, and do you want us to report back, or work individually as long as possible?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
this would work better if i knew the books in the bible...but a neat idea.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crap, I knew my parents should have taken me to church. Wouldn''t know the books if they hit me upside the head. SBT
20.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 10:06:59 PM
Author: Blenheim
Is there any chance that ''Timothey'' is misspelled?
2.gif

I think there are at least couple of other typos in there. eg "a most remarkable puzzle" rather than "the most remarkable puzzle", and Daniel Human isn''t quite right.

I''ve got 22 so far.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Moonriver, did you want us to list them? I found 17 so far.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 10:16:02 PM
Author: cinnabar
Date: 4/20/2006 10:06:59 PM

Author: Blenheim

Is there any chance that ''Timothey'' is misspelled?
2.gif

I think there are at least couple of other typos in there. eg ''a most remarkable puzzle'' rather than ''the most remarkable puzzle'', and Daniel Human isn''t quite right.

I''ve got 22 so far.

I''ve been trying to find "a most" somewhere.
1.gif
Hmmmm.

I''m on 20, without "a most" or "Timothy."

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 10:25:03 PM
Author: sunkist
Moonriver, did you want us to list them? I found 17 so far.

yes, do you want us to list them? I found 19 thus far..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please list them and help me out, or put me out of my misery!!
37.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...

30 huh?

Gee old testament is 39

new testament is 27

I wonder which bible they are going off of?

35.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 10:44:53 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Hmmm...

30 huh?

Gee old testament is 39

new testament is 27

35.gif

There are some from both.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, i'm trying to underline them to show where there are: we'll see if it works:)

it so did not work
39.gif
and I just spent 30 minutes underlining each book
39.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 10:44:53 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Hmmm...

30 huh?

Gee old testament is 39

new testament is 27

35.gif
And some Catholics have a Bible with an extra 17 books...I remember that from RCIA...but I dont remember what they were.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
thereare30booksofthebibleinthisparagraphcanyoufindthemthisisthemos**tremarkablepuzzleit
wasfoundbyagentlemaninanairplaneseatpocketonaflightfromlosangelestohonolukeepinghim
occupiedforhoursheenjoyeditsomuchthathepassedontosomefriendsonefriendfromillinois
workedonthiswhilefishingfromhisjohnboatanotherfriendstudieditwhileplayinghisbanjoelaine
tayloracolumnistwassointriguedbyitthatshementioneditinherweeklynewspapercolumnanother
friendjudgesthejobofsolvingthispuzzlesoinvolvingthatshebrewsacupofteatohelphernervesthere
willbesomenamesthatarereallyeasytospotthatsafactsomepeoplehoweverwillsoonfind
themselvesinajamespeciallysincethebooknamesarenotnecessarilycapitalizedtruthfullyfromanswers
wegetweareforcedtoadmitthatitusuallytakesaministerorscholartoseesomeofthematw**orstresearch
hasshownthatsomethinginourgenesisresponsibleforthedifficultywehaveinseeingbooksinthisparagraph
duringarecentfundraisingeventwhichfeaturedthispuzzlethealphadeltaphilemonade
boothsetanewworldrecordthelocalpaperthechroniclesurveyedover200patronswhoreportedthatthis
puzzlewasoneofthemostdifficulttheyhadeverseenasdanielhumanhum**blyputsitthebooksareall
righthereinplainviewhiddenfromsightthoseabletofindallofthemwillfindgreatlamentationsfrom
thosewhohavetobeshownonerevelationthatmayhelpisbooksliketimothey**andsamuelmay
occurwithouttheirnumbersalsokeepinmindthatpunctuationandspacesinthemiddlearenormalachipper
attitudewillhelpyoucompetereallywellagainstthosewhoclaimtoknowtheanswersremember
thereisnoneedforamadexodustherereallyare30booksofthebiblelurkingsomewhereinthisparagraph
waitingtobefound

** indicates that it's only a book if the original was misspelled
Timothy
Amos
Nahum
Matthew

Edited to reflect the new additions. I figure that MrsSalvo can keep the list of books we've found so far, and I can keep this list to help people figure out where they are. Does that work for everyone?

Also, I've seen some typos in what I typed up and tried to correct them, but I'm doing the best I can.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Mark --- reMARKable
2. Luke --- HonoluLU KEeping
3. John
4. Joel--- BanJO ELaine
5. Judges
6. Job
7. Hebrews - sHE BREWS
8. Ruth --tRUTHfully
9. James -- JAM, ESpecially
10. Genesis--GENES IS
11. Chronicles--CHRONICLE,Surveyed
12. Daniel -
13. lamentations
14. revelation
15. Timothey
16. Samuel
17. Numbers
18. Acts - fACT Some
19. Exodus
20. Amos
21. Ester-nervES THERe
22. Philemon - Phi LEMOMade
23. Nahum
24. Malachi
25. Kings
26. Romans - truthfully fROM ANSwers
27. Titus - admiT IT USually
28. Peter - comPETE Really well
29. Hosea -sight tHOSE Able to
30. Matthew - them at worst" should be "them at [the] worst", giving Matthew.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blenheim- you were able to underline, which I couldn't get to work, your's makes much more sense than my numbered one
1.gif

I'll add the ones you found to my list and keep looking..

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 11:21:19 PM
Author: mrssalvo
1. Mark --- reMARKable
2. Luke --- HonoluLU KEeping
3. John
4. Joel--- BanJO ELaine
5. Judges
6. Job
7. Hebrews - sHE BREWS
8. Ruth --tRUTHfully
9. James -- JAM, ESpecially
10. Genesis--GENES IS
11. Chronicles--CHRONICLE,Surveyed
12. Daniel -
13. lamentations
14. revelation
15. Timothey
16. Samuel
17. Numbers
18. Acts - fACT Some
19. Exodus

20. Romans - truthfully fROM ANSwers
21. Esther - nervES THERe

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
we''re up to 27, only 3 to go
41.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
You''ll never find the last one ... it''s one of the typos.

"them at worst" should be "them at [the] worst", giving Matthew.

Unless there''s another one that I''m missing?

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 11:45:15 PM

''them at worst'' should be ''them at [the] worst'', giving Matthew.

You may be right.

Moon River, did you type this in by hand? If so, can you look at the original and see if you left out "the"?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2006 11:45:15 PM

''them at worst'' should be ''them at [the] worst'', giving Matthew.

added them..and well add this one unless someone can find a better 30
36.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
There are 30 books of the Bible in this paragraph. Can you find them? This is amost remarkable puzzle. It was found by a gentleman in an airplane seat pocket, on a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu, keeping him occupied for hours. He enjoyed it so much that he passed it on to some friends. One friend from Illinois worked on this while fishing from his john boat. Another friend studied it while playing his banjo. Elaine Taylor, a columnist, was so intrigued by it that she mentioned it in her weekly newspaper column. Another friend judges the job of solving this puzzle so involving, that she brews a cup of tea to help her nerves. There will be some names that are really easy to spot. That's a fact. Some people, however, will soon find themselves in a jam,especially since the book names are not necessarily capitalized. Truthfully, from answers we get, we are forced to admit it usually takes a minister or a scholar to see some of them attheworst. Research has shown that something in our genes is responsible for the difficulty we have in seeing the books in this papagraph. During a recent fund raising event, which featured this puzzle, the Alpha Delta Phi lemonade booth set a new record. The local paper, The Chronicle, surveyed over 200 patrons who reported that this puzzle was one of the most difficult they had ever seen. As Daniel Humnahumbly puts it, 'The books are all right here in plain view hidden from sight.' Those able to find all of them will hear great lamentations from those who have to be shown. One revelation that may help is that books like Timothey and Samuel may occur without their numbers. Also, keep in mind, that punctuation and spaces in the middle are normal.Achipper attitude will help you compete really well against those who claim to know the answers. Remember, there is no need for a mad exodus; there really are 30 books of the Bible lurking somewhere in this paragraph waiting to be found.
God Bless.

Surely, between all of us here on PS and those we show this to, we can find 30
20.gif
Yes, I do think there are typos! I have 27, and if there are typos ... then I am almost done.

ETA: This is a typo like said above. Matthew

I also think this is a typo ... Amos. It should read "This is a most remarkable puzzle".

Also, Could Daniel's last name be "Humna?" So we get Nahum? Just transpose the letters.

I think there is 30 now, unless someone comes up with something else.

By the way ... I did need help figuring out The "Matthew" one!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Mrs DJ, yours turned out so much prettier than the one I tried to make! How do you highlight things? (I''m still learning)

It looks like Moon River''s off for the evening, but hopefully she can check it over tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results