shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP with USED CAR purchase! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Okay... So i have been trying to do some research as to what as myths and what arent. I was hoping maybe somebody on here might know more and be able to clue me in! We are looking at the Lexus RX 400 h vs RX 330-350 (This is depending on the price compared to each at the time we find what we want.. we''re pretty specific with colors... but is it worth it to pay more for the hybrid when in the long run its cheaper for the rx350 because of the savings vs spendings). BUT we only want to purchase probably a Certified Pre-Owned from the dealership so that it has the extra warranty and they made sure its up to new car standards and what not.. Our questions are this..

1. Are there states that it is bad to buy your car from??? We currently live in Florida... FI said he heard up north they can have more rust due to salting the roads... So not sure if this is really all that true or a myth?

2. What is a decent mileage?

3. What should we be looking for that could be bad with the car??

4. Any other useful information you could help us with!

Thanks BB :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
There are some good websites that give you some basic tips for buying a used car.

1) Edmunds is my favorite free site. It has some good basic articles, such as this one about buying a used car. It also has reviews of specific models by year.

2) Consumer reports - I used this site the most when buying my car. It has good reviews of the cars and reliability ratings that are really helpful. I think for car buying, it it worth considering a subscription.

For milage, you want to find out the typical lifespan of the car you are buying, but the lower the better (you will also end up paying more for lower milage)

For rust, and other issues, have the car checked out by a mechanic before you buy it. Rust issues cannot be fixed, but a lot of newer cars (10 years or so) are well protected against rust.

Get a car-fax on any car you are seriously considering. You need to know if there are any deal breakers that the seller is trying to hide from you (salvage title, major accident, if the car was flooded in a hurricane).

Hope this helps you get started.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 6:59:37 PM
Author:blondebunny
Okay... So i have been trying to do some research as to what as myths and what arent. I was hoping maybe somebody on here might know more and be able to clue me in! We are looking at the Lexus RX 400 h vs RX 330-350 (This is depending on the price compared to each at the time we find what we want.. we''re pretty specific with colors... but is it worth it to pay more for the hybrid when in the long run its cheaper for the rx350 because of the savings vs spendings). BUT we only want to purchase probably a Certified Pre-Owned from the dealership so that it has the extra warranty and they made sure its up to new car standards and what not.. Our questions are this..

1. Are there states that it is bad to buy your car from??? We currently live in Florida... FI said he heard up north they can have more rust due to salting the roads... So not sure if this is really all that true or a myth?

2. What is a decent mileage?

3. What should we be looking for that could be bad with the car??

4. Any other useful information you could help us with!

Thanks BB :)
true about the road salt. buy a consumer report "used car buyers guide" at a book store. i find the information to be very accurate.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Up until my new car purchase in March of this year I have always bought used vehicles.

I have found that in general I did much better on a used car from private parties selling their own car versus the used car lots.

The key is how have the people maintained the car. If you can find someone who can show you all the oil change and other repair paperwork for the car - and it was very well maintained you will likely do much better than any car off of a used car lot (where you did not know the maintenance history).

Here is the key difference: I have purchased two full sized vans in my life: The first one was from a person with all the records - and the engine ran very well. The second one was on a used car lot and the engine was toast and I had to replace the engine. I would guess that the previous owner never changed the oil - and an engine that will go 300,000 miles with proper oil changes can be destroyed in 50,000 miles without them.

Of course, its not just the engine. Has routine brake work been done for the mileage (or are you inheriting a break job); etc.

Best of luck.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results