shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you not worn your ering to a job interview?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have been doing home daycare for 2.5 years and applied for a job at the hospital I used to work at before daycare. I have an interview on Monday and was wondering if I should leave my pear at home. I know it is not huge by PS standards but where I live my 1.57 pear is big. I just don't want the two people interviewing me to make assumptions. On the other hand it is my ering. Thoughts?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never wear my e-ring to interviews, and I almost never wear my wedding band either. Studies have actually shown that employers prefer to hire single females and married males, so women really shouldn't wear their rings. (Not to mention that I would imagine assumptions could be made, right or wrong, about the size of your e-ring and whether you need a job or need a high salary.) It might not be right to pretend I'm not married, but it's even less right for employers to discriminate against me for being married, so I choose not to wear my rings. (If I was asked directly or it came up somehow I wouldn't lie, of course.)

For the interview for my current job I did wear my wedding band just because I moved to the area for my husband's job, which I figured would come up, so I didn't want to not wear it and have that seem strange. (Yes I do over think things! :cheeky: )

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear a plain band and no other jewelry other than MAYBE small studs.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I've always worn mine, including to my most recent interview for the job I have now. I don't know if it ever had an effect, but I've had no trouble getting jobs. My ring is modest by pretty much any standard, though. I've always felt that, if the employer were to view my rings negatively, I wouldn't want to work for them anyway...but I've also never been desperate in my search. If I REALLY needed the job, I might be more inclined just to wear my wedding band or possibly neither. But as long as that's not the case, the rings stay on.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
In the past I've tended to wear a simpler band that day. I work on HIV in Africa and the ering seems like an excessive display of luxury. I do wear it to work but sometimes I do feel self conscious about it in that setting. It's like diamond television though, I spend most meetings just tilting it and staring with my hand below the table.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1328133210|3116711 said:
In the past I've tended to wear a simpler band that day. I work on HIV in Africa and the ering seems like an excessive display of luxury. I do wear it to work but sometimes I do feel self conscious about it in that setting. It's like diamond television though, I spend most meetings just tilting it and staring with my hand below the table.

Kelpie - I am intrigued with your job! I spent a total of 25 years in sexual health in 2 different health departments, dealing mainly with teens/ BC/STD's/abortion/MSM. Only the past 2.5 years have been a totally different field of public health - would love to hear about your job!!!

As for ering to interview, when I applied for this current job, I wore my 'usual' rings of ering (pre reset, which was a solitaire) and original YG WB. I really have never given it a thought but at that point, my rings weren't overly 'sparkly'. I do think that people do make assumptions - that you have a certain income level already or your expectations are at a certain point - and maybe it would be wise to 'turn it down' a notch and just wear simple stuff.

I also think that it could be distracting for the interviewer and they may not focus on you if they are distracted by what you are wearing - too sexy clothing or too ostentatious jewellry or wild hair... whatever!... (who knows what distracts some people vs others), but overall, simple is best at an interview. Impress with who YOU ARE, not what YOU HAVE.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I haven't looked for a job since becoming engaged, but I would not wear my e-ring to a job interview. I work in a non-profit setting where it is definitely not the norm to wear a diamond (ring or otherwise). People in this field tend to view diamonds as unethical ("blood diamonds") or bourgeois. In fact, after I am married I will probably just wear a plain band to work.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear my e-ring to interviews. I do wear a plain band - one of my original w-bands is a 3 mm titanium band so I usually wear that. I usually wear earrings, sometimes dangley because I feel confident when I wear them. I have a few "costume" semi-precious pairs of dangle earrings in silver.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
For the job I have now I wore my .50 round bezel solitaire and a 2mm milgrain band. I purposely didn't wear my 1.22 cushion because I didn't want assumptions to be made. I've worn it to work since though.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is interesting to me. I've never considered taking my engagement ring off for an interview. I think it's good to be sensitive to the environment you're in, but I've never felt uncomfortable wearing my ring while on an interview. If I had a MUCH larger diamond, then I might consider leaving it at home, but I don't see it being an issue with what I have now.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep and I do not wear it to work.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just had a job interview yesterday and I did not wear my ering or eternity band. I wore my 2mm platinum band....I do feel that if people see my bling, they may make assumptions about whether or not I need a job and about my level of committment. For me, wanting to do the best job possible has nothing to do with whether we need the money or not. It's a matter of personal pride in doing the best job I can do. So, I do leave my bling at home...

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't wear rings at all to interviews. I talk with my hands and I notice people staring at my rings when I have them on.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
You guys confirmed what I was thinking, I am not going to wear my ering. If I get the job I will be wearing my ering though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it is interesting reading this thread. I never had to consider wearing or not wearing my ER during the interview process as I still have the same jobs I had before I got married. I know I wear my ER and WB everyday at work though and I do not feel it hinders me in anyway. However, if I were to interview for a new position I am not sure what I would do.

I just wanted to say good luck with your interview lknvrb4!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
not sure if any males have chimed in yet on this thread, but I would never think to have my wife take off her e-ring for work or an interview. She works for a very high profile law firm too, so rings are the norm, and all the women at the top of the food chain there that are married tend to have rather substantial rings. Personally, I would never negatively judge someone's work ethic based on the size of their ring. In fact, I think the inverse is probably true more often than not--that people's first instinct would be to guess that you're a hard worker to have accomplished enough to afford such things...

I suppose that this changes based upon industry. Certainly any industry where people work for tips, it's very uncommon to see women wearing rings etc. A saw a Starbucks barista the other day with a huge rock and was taken aback--if for nothing more than I've never seen a Starbucks barista wearing any ring, never mind a substantial one...

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't wear my ring to the interviews I had recently. For the job I did get, it was kind of obvious the HR lady wanted to make a big deal out of my status (asking me two separate times if I was single or married, once or benefits and once for tax stuff), and then when I wore my ring to work after I got the job, she asked me what the deal was with the ring, and exactly what my relationship was like (not in those words, but she wanted specifics, and I vaguely indulged). I don't know if it affected how they viewed me, as I obviously got the job anyway, but it made me feel kind of uncomfortable. I ended up being glad I didn't wear it, as it's quite large for my age, and for our area.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i have an interview on Monday for my first clinical internship. Really, it's more of a formality than anything else. But I don't intend to wear the ring during my time there if I get the position. It's in a bad neighborhood and it is a prison alternative program for substance abusers. My jewelry is more than what the norm is around here, so I don't want to draw unnecessary attention and I also don't want to distract from what's going on in session with clients. I'm thinking I may wear it to the interview, though.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't wear my e-ring to my interview. But, if I were married, I would wear a simple band.

And Manderz, don't let HR bug you. I've found that the way people in the HR group conduct themselves is not necessarily a reflection of how your immediate co-workers and work environment will be like.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
No I wouldn't.

Let me share something.

I wore my 3 stone to work one day (first time, it was a non-clinical day). It has a 2.5 ct centre and almost 3.5 ctw.

The next day, rumours were flying that I was fabulously independently wealthy. I can't shake these rumours try as I may. People love to gossip.

I would wear a plain band to an interview. I've learnt my lesson!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really does depend on the city in which you work. In NYC my ring doesn't cause any rumors to fly about and no one at work thinks I am independently wealthy because of my diamond size. So, after some thought about this question I would say I would wear my ER to an interview and to work (if I were to interview for a new job that is) and if I felt like I could not I probably would not feel comfortable working there. I also work for a non profit btw but nobody assumes anything because of my rings.

The next day, rumours were flying that I was fabulously independently wealthy. I can't shake these rumours try as I may. People love to gossip.

I am sorry you have to deal with this Rosetta. As I get older I care much less about what people think/say than I did when I was younger. People can be small minded and petty and life is too short to have to deal with such unpleasantness. So my advice is shake off the nasty comments and ignore the gossip. You will be happier and healthier for it. People like that will always find something to gossip about. Wait a minute and they will move on to the next topic. :knockout:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I often make a choice not to wear my e-ring and just wear one of my eternity bands or my plain band.. I haven't had to make this decision fortunately at a job interview but just calling on customers. In sales you have to consider your audience.... I try to be aware... that while my ring is not huge... I'm very fortunate...

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I've not worn my e-ring to interviews in the past, mainly because I don't want anyone making assumptions about anything, and since they can't ask about marital status, etc., I'd rather not let them even think in that line unless I decide to mention my DH.

It really is going to depend on where you live and what type of job you're interviewing for. Obviously, a high powered lawyer in NYC rocking a 1.5 carat diamond is not going to seem out of place, and probably few people would assume she is a 'kept' woman and doesn't really want to work. However, in my medium-sized mid-western city, a 1.5 carat diamond would be HUGE and if I interviewed for a librarian job wearing that, I think it's safe to say it would cause tongues to wag. :cheeky: I would also not wear a ring to an interview for the type of job where you'll wear gloves (nursing, dental, etc.) since you won't be wearing it to work anyway!

Sometimes I wont wear my 3.18 rb when I get bids for house projects.

I've found the price goes up when I wear it :D

If I'm buying a car or anything else, (depending) I won't wear it either.
I want deals!!!!!! Haha.

I also wouldn't wear my ring to a job interview .. and probably not for the first week. I want people to notice my hard work, not the diamond! :)First impressions can mean a lot 8-)

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
If I were interviewing for a job NOW, I wouldn't wear my ering. (I still don't have it yet as Oscar Heyman is in the process of creating it...but it is a 4.03 ct center with a total of 5.68 cts) However, the last job that I interviewed for when I was engaged the first time around, I DID wear it. There were several reasons I did: First, I looked younger than my age and I figured the ring would "mature" me. I was also in a traditionally male dominated profession and had been sexually harassed by my bosses in the past. I just wanted to make it clear from the get-go (I was interviewing with a man) that there was someone out there looking out for me (my fiancee at the time)!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I went on an interview I would only wear my wedding band (5 stone) and my RHR. I'm somewhat conservative and I would rather
not wear anything that might be distracting. I would hope interviewers wouldn't judge or feel one way or another according to
what you are wearing but for me, I just soon take it out of the equation.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
sna77|1328149466|3116914 said:
not sure if any males have chimed in yet on this thread, but I would never think to have my wife take off her e-ring for work or an interview. She works for a very high profile law firm too, so rings are the norm, and all the women at the top of the food chain there that are married tend to have rather substantial rings. Personally, I would never negatively judge someone's work ethic based on the size of their ring. In fact, I think the inverse is probably true more often than not--that people's first instinct would be to guess that you're a hard worker to have accomplished enough to afford such things...

I suppose that this changes based upon industry. Certainly any industry where people work for tips, it's very uncommon to see women wearing rings etc. A saw a Starbucks barista the other day with a huge rock and was taken aback--if for nothing more than I've never seen a Starbucks barista wearing any ring, never mind a substantial one...

:o

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it depends on the field.

I am a university prof and if I was on the job market today I would wear my 0.55cttw half eternity to interviews. I think at my age and stage being married is a good thing, and people know I have two kids (small world in my field) so... But I would not wear all my bling. It is a very bling-free environment.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1328218461|3117623 said:
Maybe it depends on the field.

I am a university prof and if I was on the job market today I would wear my 0.55cttw half eternity to interviews. I think at my age and stage being married is a good thing, and people know I have two kids (small world in my field) so... But I would not wear all my bling. It is a very bling-free environment.
I think it depends a LOT on your age. As someone who is in her 20s and childless, I know employers fear I could go on maternity leave at any time. Fair or not, an engagement ring is a visual reminder of that risk.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'll go to interviews "fully loaded" from my ears to my toes... :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results