shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever called for a wellness check?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is awkward...

I have a neighbor...she''s probably in her 40''s, she lives alone and is a bit eccentric.

For the past 4 days I have seen no movement in her house....all the lights are on, even in the daylight...her cats are wandering about all over the place, I can see them climbing on her counters, fridge...but she is nowhere to be seen. I know that when she is out of town, she has a "cat sitter" but I haven''t seen her either. She apparently has "window film" over her windows, and it''s been torn down and is hanging in pieces. I can see into her kitchen from my balcony...she has milk and other things on the counter. But aside from the cats fussing about, there is nothing else going on it the place.

To be frank, I''m concerned. In the past she has done crazy things like left her garage open and car trunk full of groceries open for a day...but she is usually on the same "schedule" I am...we leave at the time in the morning, arrive back home at the same time too. If she''s not there, traveling to cat shows (she has mentioned this on occassion to me), a large red Expedition comes to care for the cats like clockwork, this is noticable.

I am not sure if I should call for a wellness check on her at this point. I don''t want to be the nosy neighbor, but living in the type of home we live in you get pretty familiar with you neighbors and their personal habits.

Thanks.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Uh oh. Calling to get someone in to make sure she is ok sounds appropriate to me. I guess the question is, would you be more upset if someone did it to you and it was uncalled for or if your fears were founded? The milk on the counter is worrisome, as are the cats being more wandering than normal. You're not being nosy IMO, just caring.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 5:00:36 PM
Author: Novel
Uh oh. Calling to get someone in to make sure she is ok sounds appropriate to me. I guess the question is, would you be upset if someone did it you and it was uncalled for? The milk on the counter is worrisome, as are the cats being more wandering than normal.
Yes. I mean, from what I''ve seen the cats aren''t usually running around.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you know her well enough to make an informed decision here.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
How well do you know her? Would you feel comfortable knocking on her door to just say hi? If you did that and she answered that would be great, and she''d probably be thankful that you were watching out for her.
If she doesn''t answer or you don''t feel comfortable doing that, then I absolutely think you should call for a wellness check. My husband is a police officer and they get lots of calls like these.
Hopefully everything is ok.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am working from home today...would it be totally negligent for me to pay close attention today, if nothing changes, call tomorrow? I don''t want to overreact.

Also, I''m concerned that if I do call one in, that if something is wrong, I''ll be "fingered"...we stayed in this weekend, and I guess I watch to much to much CSI...but I don''t want to be put in a weird position because no one besides my husband can "validate" my whereabouts....I know, probably overreacting.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time to call.

I''d be a little embarrassed if the police showed up and I was just in bed sick with the flu, but I''d be grateful that one of my neighbors cared enough to notice something wrong and try to help.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 5:04:10 PM
Author: tiffanytwisted
How well do you know her? Would you feel comfortable knocking on her door to just say hi? If you did that and she answered that would be great, and she''d probably be thankful that you were watching out for her.
If she doesn''t answer or you don''t feel comfortable doing that, then I absolutely think you should call for a wellness check. My husband is a police officer and they get lots of calls like these.
I went over there once to deliver a piece of furniture she bought at our garage sale. I had to knock three times before I saw her peeping between her drapes on her hands and knees. So to answer your question...no, I don''t know her well enough to go over to chit-chat. She''s pretty private.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh for heavens sakes, go and knock on her door. Tell her what you told us... Certainly if all is well she'd be thankful for you looking out for her. I don't know what you mean about being "fingered??" I doubt she'd be mad at you.... If she is, well that's her problem...
11.gif

ETA: Ok so maybe she won't open the door, I just read your most recent reponse.

Does her neighbor on the other side know her??

Really if you are that concerned, and know her habits and what not and see something out of the ordinary.... You should do something..

I don't know if you should call the police... But yanno when I see stuff out of whack, I call, and have only been thanked for it..

What if she fell, and is unconcious??? Ya never know....

I would call the police and say, what you told us... Just say all may be fine and well, but this isn't normal for her.. Let then handle it..

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2009 5:13:54 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 10/12/2009 5:04:10 PM
Author: tiffanytwisted
I went over there once to deliver a piece of furniture she bought at our garage sale. I had to knock three times before I saw her peeping between her drapes on her hands and knees. So to answer your question...no, I don''t know her well enough to go over to chit-chat. She''s pretty private.
I would still knock. If she did not respond, I would call the police today.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i hope she''s ok, but it does sound like you should call

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd knock just to make sure... if she answer and gets all weird, just tell her you were concerned is all and just being the neighborhood watchman for the day
3.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I went over, knocked and rang the bell...nothing.

I am going to call the police this evening.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
8.gif
Let us know what happens. Good luck, and I''m glad you decided to do it.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2009 5:33:59 PM
I went over, knocked and rang the bell...nothing.

I am going to call the police this evening.

I wouldn''t wait.

She could be sick or hurt in there and need help. If so, waiting several hours could be dangerous for her.

(I had a client fall and hit her head on the floor this last year. She bled to death laying on her kitchen floor.)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d knock and see if she answers. If you know her name, maybe her number is listed? Maybe another neighbor knows her? Otherwise, I''d call the police..there''s usually a non emergency number you can call too. If they go and something *is* wrong, it''s quite doubtful they''ll haul you downtown and interrogate you, so don''t worry about that!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d call now if I were you.... I hope she''s ok. And of course you''d be doing the right thing!! Let us know what happens...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETD: ooops just reread your post...

ETA: ok, glad you called the police

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I called to non-emergency number...the desk officer said they would send an officer out and thanked me. That was it. They took my name and number, but they didn''t say if they''d call to follow up--and I forgot to ask. Is that something they do?

Otherwise...all the lights are still burning, and there is nothing going on beside a few renegade cats roaming about.

Thank you all...I feel better having called, I do worry that if something was terribly wrong no one would know. I''m not some crazy peeping Tom, I promise, but I just noticed this as off.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you called Italia-hopefully everything''s alright, but you never know. Better safe than sorry. I would guess they''d let you know??? I''m not sure how that works I guess.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2009 7:30:58 PM
Author: packrat
I''m glad you called Italia-hopefully everything''s alright, but you never know. Better safe than sorry. I would guess they''d let you know??? I''m not sure how that works I guess.
I think it is very possible that they will not let her know unless she sees them arrive and goes outside to ask them.

You definitely did the right thing, Italia. Something certainly does not sound right.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
You did the right thing. I''m worried about the cats too.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
If she doesn''t answer...will they break down the door or something?

I can''t stop going to my sliding door and looking at her house (I''m a creep, I know). Nothing has changed.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did the right thing. I hope she is okay.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I hope she is okay, too. Good for you for noticing something might be amiss, Italia.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2009 8:53:02 PM
If she doesn''t answer...will they break down the door or something?

I can''t stop going to my sliding door and looking at her house (I''m a creep, I know). Nothing has changed.

Not sure what they would do then.

You can always call the number again to get an update. (I did this once for a neighbor in my old complex)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt they would break down a door, unless she was reported missing over 48 hours?? I must watch too many Lifetime movies.... I don''t know the answer.
34.gif

IHC, I asked you before, do you know the neighbors on the other side of her?? Do they know anything?? I am hoping she''s away on vacay...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think you''re being creepy at all, Italia. In fact, if it were a relative or friend of mine in your neighbor''s situation, I''d be glad that someone took the time and was concerned enough to try to be helpful. I hope everything turns out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results