shape
carat
color
clarity

Glamour Magazine poll on upgrading your e-ring

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
81% says it's a Don't. I want to know - where were all the PSers when this poll was given???

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G. said:
81% says it's a Don't. I want to know - where were all the PSers when this poll was given???

They were busy upgrading their rings :bigsmile:

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Haha. Well, I would assume that most people don't really know a quality diamond ring from your average maul jeweler product. So perhaps the people who answered the question don't really know that there are bigger and better things out there that don't necessarily have to come with a hefty pricetag.

My mother upgraded her ering when my folks celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary. I guess I never really thought about it.

Plus, what's the average age of a Glamour reader? I haven't purchased one since college. Maybe people who answered the question aren't even engaged yet. I dunno. It's interesting, though! 81% seems pretty high!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
i believe the number.
let's be honest, how many of us had thoughts about upgrading prior to finding PS? i'm sure some did, but i don't believe most did.

everytime i get the urge to upgrade i step away from PS and the urge fades. come back, and it starts all over.. :nono:

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I never thought upgrading was a don't--my mom did after ten years, and she has absolutely loved that upgrade for the last 24 years. As long as you can afford it and you want to do it, upgrading is a definite do in my book. Glamour readers just don't know what kind of amazing sparklies there are out there!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was posting from my phone so I forgot to type, but the reader comment accompanying the percentage was that it would hurt the husband's feelings and marriage to upgrade the ring he put so much thought into. I think we've all seen situations here where someone wanted to upgrade but the husband felt very strongly against (or would feel hurt), but the comment definitely didn't seem up to the times (i.e. that many women are now helping the guys pick out their rings, or doing it together!). But I thought it was an interesting percentage - 81 is high!
risingsun said:
B.E.G. said:

:lol:

(Is it me or does my smiley look like a laughing egg?)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, I upgraded my ring 3 times before I found pricescope :wacko: I think one more time should do it :rolleyes:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lord, it's always been mine and DH's plan to upgrade. We've ALWAYS said, "you're not marrying the ring." Some of my friends (one b*tch in particular) said she'd NEVER upgrade and waited to get engaged until her DH could afford a one carat and now that she's seen mine, she's changed her tune. Just goes to show, nothing is ever as black and white as it seems.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
risingsun said:
B.E.G. said:

:lol:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I don't want to live in a world without upgrades :cheeky:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA!!! What is the average age of their reader?? Thinking if they polled older women the results would be a bit different... Not saying AARP, but somewhere in between.... ::)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure the average age is early to mid-twenties, like Marie Claire and Cosmo. I thought it was funny - after having been on PS this long I took upgrades as a given!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
risingsun said:
B.E.G. said:

Yes! :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they mean before you get married, because I can understand that. I would think it would be more hurtful to the SO if you upgrade your ER before the wedding, unless it was something previously agreed upon, or if you had a superlong engagement. I think it's pretty standard to have the first upgrade or reset at the 5th anniversary or so. Then a big one at the 25th of course. And another one each 5 years after that because, lord you deserve it by then for sure! j/k on last part... :devil:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra said:
Do they mean before you get married, because I can understand that. I would think it would be more hurtful to the SO if you upgrade your ER before the wedding, unless it was something previously agreed upon, or if you had a superlong engagement. I think it's pretty standard to have the first upgrade or reset at the 5th anniversary or so. Then a big one at the 25th of course. And another one each 5 years after that because, lord you deserve it by then for sure! j/k on last part... :devil:
how about the husband...when does he get his first upgrade?... :Up_to_something:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire said:
lyra said:
how about the husband...when does he get his first upgrade?... :Up_to_something:

I thought men upgraded when they hit their mid-life crisis...? You know, new car, new wife...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire said:
lyra said:

Well DF, my husband has had 2 wedding ring upgrades. From plain, to 5 diamond, to heavy engraved. :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra said:
Dancing Fire said:
lyra said:

Well DF, my husband has had 2 wedding ring upgrades. From plain, to 5 diamond, to heavy engraved. :bigsmile:
good for him!!.. :appl: .. :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B.E.G. said:
Dancing Fire said:
lyra said:

I thought men upgraded when they hit their mid-life crisis...? You know, new car, new wife...
but wife #2 wants a bigger diamond than #1... ::)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I dare say that 81% of the population never even thinks about 'upgrading' their e-ring. PSers are a special breed.

I could see myself, if money were no object, replacing my stone with as flawlessly perfect an Asscher as I could find . . . but the hubby is much too sentimental about The Ring to let it be replaced. And when I think of how emotional and happy we were when we found our diamond, and its perfect setting, I can see his point very clearly. It was an important moment that cannot be replicated or replaced.

I'm not at all surprised to find that a large percentage of the population has much the same thoughts. Sentimentality, not just lack of funds, keep most people from upgrading. There is nothing really wrong with an upgrade, it just isn't what everyone wants to do.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe it! Of my 4 aunts, none of whom are on PS to my knowledge, 1 isn't married, and the other 3 have changed their rings since they were married about 30-37 years ago.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
HollyS said:
I'm not at all surprised to find that a large percentage of the population has much the same thoughts. Sentimentality, not just lack of funds, keep most people from upgrading. There is nothing really wrong with an upgrade, it just isn't what everyone wants to do.

I totally agree.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results