shape
carat
color
clarity

Gift advice needed...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hey all,

I'm useless at gift giving and was hoping for a bit of advice.

I've recently joined a volunteer organization, and one of my supervisors is getting married. Now I've only known the fellow for 2 and 1/2 months, and haven't spent a lot of time with him. I don't know his fiancée at all. They are having a come one/come all outdoor wedding. I'll likely be working that weekend (I work on-call), and so will not attend. I'd like to get the fellow and his fiancée a little something, as he has been helpful toward me. Any ideas of what to buy? I'm thinking in the $40 to $80 dollar range as, again, I'm not going to the wedding and our friendship has just begun.

I'd really appreciate your input, as I don't know what their hobbies/interests are, and don't have anyone I can ask about them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Begonia! That is such a lovely thing for you to want to do knowing them (well only one half of the couple) for a few months. How about a gift certificate to a brunch at a nice restaurant? $80 should be sufficient for a nice brunch I would think depending where they live.

Also another thought is a pair of crystal toasting champagne flutes. That would make a lovely gift I think!
http://www.waterford.com/elegance-champagne-classic-flute-pair

Have they registered anywhere because that would make it easier but in any case I think they would enjoy one of the choices I listed above.

Hope you are well and (((hugs)))!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about Christmas ornaments (if they celebrate). Maybe something like first one together or something?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
If you can, I would ask another volunteer or supervisor where he is registered.

If that's not possible, a good generic option that is a bit more personal is a monogrammed cutting board. There are several Etsy vendors who carry nice ones in the $40-80 range.

Last resort, I would get a gift certificate and a nice card. Choose a local restaurant or a popular store that seems to fit what little you know about him (e.g., West Elm for cute furnishings, Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table for kitchen stuff). Use the card to make it a bit more personal -- say you congratulate them and hope they can use your gift to choose something together (if you get a furnishings gift card) or have a nice relaxing meal to celebrate (if you get a restaurant gift card) as they start their lives together.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always buy liquor as a gift if I dont know the person that well (but you know they drink). You could get a nice bottle of champagne that they can open on their anniversary or something like that. I also like the brunch idea.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The tradition I see here in Australia is that people usually have a 'wishing well' for their wedding i.e. a donation box (the wife and I had one for our wedding). Most couples who get married nowadays already have everything they need and don't need another 4 toasters and 5 irons. Here's a little poem you can put on the card with the money:

your relationship has stood the first test of time
from now, no more living in sin
And we know you've got everything you need
the iron and the garbage bin
We don't know what you need for your budding journey
what to buy, we couldn't tell
So please accept our little donation here
As we wish your new lives well

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My default wedding present is a sterling silver picture frame, and how much I spend on the frame is dependent upon my relationship with either the bride or the groom or both, as in I would spend a lot more if it is for a very close friend.

DK :))

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, great ideas all! I'm so glad I asked :)
Thanks everyone!

Hi Missy :)
Things are good, but I want to know how you are! I haven't been reading many posts and haven't checked in with you in a while. Hugs to you too dear girl...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask where they are registered and get them a gift certificate (if there is nothing within budget) or something off their registry (if there is something within budget).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1431143498|3874371 said:
Oh wow, great ideas all! I'm so glad I asked :)
Thanks everyone!

Hi Missy :)
Things are good, but I want to know how you are! I haven't been reading many posts and haven't checked in with you in a while. Hugs to you too dear girl...

I'm well Begonia, thanks for asking and thanks for the hugs. We are enjoying cycling by the ocean again and in fact this weekend marks the fourth weekend we have been back cycling on our tandem. I am so glad things are going well for you and I have missed you here and happy you checked in to say hi! :wavey:

Back to gift suggestions...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results