shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking out! Not so computer-savy!

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I'm kindly requesting help from all you computer-savy Pricescopers out there!

My office shares space with several other businesses/groups. We have our own private office that is designated for us only and no one is supposed to go in there. Up until recently, there was only one key for all the doors (bad idea, I know) but supposedly only the bosses/main people were supposed to get the key. We had issues with people getting into other people's things (unsurprisingly) and now everyone supposedly has their own keys to their own offices/space. Anyway, this may or may not be relevant to my question, but just putting it out there in case it is.

I noticed on both of our office computers that there is a strange computer listed in our Network tab (not sure what it's called) there's a thing with "Network" and our computers listed underneath it. I can guess who's it is based on the name (they are the people that were going into other people's things). But I was wondering how it got to be listed there in the first place? We all have our own internet/phone connections and I can't see other businesses/groups' computers listed in our Network tab, so how did it get there? I'm not sure when it showed up, but I just noticed it now.

So, I hope somebody can help me figure out this mystery and let me know if I should be worried or kicking someone's patootey right now.

Thanks so much!
(Sorry, long post)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to really solve your issue. Sooooo...could they have somehow gotten ahold of somebody's IP address and be tapping in that way to snoop around? Although you have your own phone/internet hookups you could be running off a main server - maybe they figured out how to hop on at that level? Have you tried clicking on the computer name to see if it gives you an extra info?

candy

Rough_Rock
It sounds like your office is picking up the signal from their wireless network, which is pretty normal. In my house, my computer network shows other wireless networks near me. As long as your network is encrypted, you are fine. If it isn't encrypted, the only risk is that other people can use your internet connection -- I highly doubt they can see or access any of your files. I don't think you need to worry, it is probably harmless and unintentional. Hope this helps!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candy's reply assumes an state that may not be true "as long as it is encrypted..." The default setting for most wireless is to not be encrypted.

From a computer security issue you have 2 very relevant issues:

1) Is your computer adequately password connected.

2) Is your wireless network adequately encrypted and password protected (or disabled).

And another issue is you are dealing with any sensitive data

3) Are you files (data) adequately encrypted.

All of these are very easy fixes for someone tech savvy. I note that they may not be sexy - but disabling the wireless and using cables buys a lot of security.

I'd contact a local computer shop and ask for help - if you have it in your area; the "Geek Squad" should be able to address the first two item very quickly.

Have a great day,

Perry

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies, but we don't use a wireless router. We have a router that all of our computers plug into. Other groups have wireless and they weren't showing up on the Network list.

When I click on the other group's computer that is listed, it gives me some sort of error.

I'm just worried that these people have been going into our office even with the keys changed. Also, how long does someone's computer stay listed on your networks?

Thanks!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Im not sure, but I think it might be someone going into the network from a remote location. Like working from home. I know that I once had a job where I could get into my work computer from my home computer and actually use the files and do my job. I know that is more common place now and think that might make sense. The only scary thing is that these people seem less than honest and if they or someone they know is able to get into the network who know what kind of havoc it might cause. I would contact your IT person and bring it up in an innocent way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results