shape
carat
color
clarity

Frankenstorm?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I live in the Northeast (Rhode Island) and our local weatherman is concerned that the storm will hit us and cause significant damage. People in my neighborhood are already taking precautions by bringing in anything from outside that could turn into a projectile.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I've decided to prepare as if it's going to hit, because that's the surest way to make sure it doesn't!

Seriously, though, as much as I feel these things are sometimes over-hyped, this is a big storm with a huge radius and no matter what it's trajectory ends up being or even if it magically gets downgraded to tropical storm, wind and water in large amounts are likely. So a few extra flashlight batteries, some charcoal for the grill in case we have to grill everything in the freezer, won't hurt.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
aviastar|1351192079|3292290 said:
I've decided to prepare as if it's going to hit, because that's the surest way to make sure it doesn't!

Seriously, though, as much as I feel these things are sometimes over-hyped, this is a big storm with a huge radius and no matter what it's trajectory ends up being or even if it magically gets downgraded to tropical storm, wind and water in large amounts are likely. So a few extra flashlight batteries, some charcoal for the grill in case we have to grill everything in the freezer, won't hurt.

This is the perfect thing! Now I want to make sure our grill has gas and we have candles and all that ready to go. :)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't heard much about the storm, but bought a generator today! We were without power (including no running water!) for 5 days and 3 days with the storms last year. Intended to buy a generator, then delayed spending the $$$, but then called around to get one today. Lowe's is already sold out. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one, and my DH is picking it up right now!

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
We've already stocked up on water, canned goods, batteries, flashlights, candles, and extra blankets just in case. One of my friends who's studying to be a meteorologist told us even his college professors are a bit concerned. I live in Northern VA and we recently had a Derecho storm a few months ago. Some places here were without power for about a week or so. Storms like this make me a little uneasy :errrr:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Loves Vintage|1351193597|3292311 said:
I haven't heard much about the storm, but bought a generator today! We were without power (including no running water!) for 5 days and 3 days with the storms last year. Intended to buy a generator, then delayed spending the $$$, but then called around to get one today. Lowe's is already sold out. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one, and my DH is picking it up right now!

I feel that generators are just good things to have; if you don't use it in this storm you'll use it someday and be glad you have it! I did learn the hard way, though, that you should start it up every so often even if you don't need it :oops: Tricky small engines!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm super-worried! It feels like we just dealt with Irene and here we are dealing with Sandy. :errrr:

We got a natural gas generator after Irene so hoping that kicks on and works because we are sure to lose power with the predicted winds and torrential rains that are predicted for the Jersey Shore. I don't think I am cut out to live on the water right in the path of hurricanes. Before we moved to this house (just last year) the last major hurricane there was in 1991! WTH!!

Anyway, hoping everyone stays safe and that no damage occurs. I'm telling you, it seems like stress is just a natural part of every day life these days. :knockout:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
StacylikesSparkles|1351192347|3292292 said:
aviastar|1351192079|3292290 said:

This is the perfect thing! Now I want to make sure our grill has gas and we have candles and all that ready to go. :)

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense! Besides, even if the power doesn't go out, new candles are an excuse for a fancy romantic dinner with the hubbs... :naughty:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's supposed to hit us up here in northern New England but we may get a lot of rain on Monday into Tuesday. I guess it depends on where the center line of the hurricane is.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad I'm not near this one! It's pretty blustery down here today, and I'm hundreds of miles from the center.

Three different storms; one with high winds, one with Arctic air, and one with snow. Hmmmm . . . lovely! :rolleyes:

DON'T FORGET;

Water! For drinking and fill your bathtubs. The bathtub water is to put in a bucket and flush your toilets with.

Firewood! Dry firewood, preferably! It could be mighty cold.

Gas! For your cars, if the power is out at the gas station, no gas.

Food! That doesn't require cooking, and sterno cans for coffee making. Pet food too.

Meds! Anything you're going to run out of next week? Pet meds?

Blankies!

Tiny, portable TV's! So you know what's going on if the power is out.

Solar cell phone chargers! In case the power is out for days, but hopefully the sun is out.

The upside is that really only the 3 day track is reliable from NHC. The 5 day track wobbles a lot, and it could just go out to sea.

Hopefully . . . :o

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Great list. I can add one item that I learned the hard way from the last storm.

Manual can opener.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Have cash on hand, too. Cash was the one thing I forgot to have on hand during Ike, and it was a huge inconvenience!

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it is the end of the world as we know it with all this crazy weather! :lol:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great list islander!

We were without power for 8 days (in winter :knockout: ) after a big windstorm a few years ago. It was awful but we learned a lot.

I'd add:

batteries for anything you may need (we keep a big box of each sort we use -- AAA, AA, C, D, 9V, car key)

chargers for your car (other than cell phone chargers, they also make converters that plug into the car lighter and give you regular outlets to plug stuff into)

Heater. Tough buddy heaters are great. (we got both of ours from Lowes)
They run on propane tanks. You can use either the little green canisters or get a $10 adapter to use a bigger tank.
IMPORTANT -- Heater MUST have a catalytic converter so that it doesn't put off carbon monoxide in your house!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm battening down the hatches for this one. Luckily, New York rarely loses power but all the foodstuffs and necessities run out. I'll also have to watch wind and water damage. My apartment has old windows.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aviastar|1351196301|3292345 said:

I feel that generators are just good things to have; if you don't use it in this storm you'll use it someday and be glad you have it! I did learn the hard way, though, that you should start it up every so often even if you don't need it :oops: Tricky small engines!

Yes, we are glad to have one finally, and we will use it, eventually, I'm sure! Does yours still work now? I asked DH about your comment, and he said they recommend you start them every 30 days for 15 mins at a time (we would never remember to do this) OR you can empty it entirely of gas before storing. We will do the latter. It's an important point, and certainly not something they tell you when you buy it!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting nervous about this storm! Power outage during pregnancy with a toddler=HELL...or so I imagine. We also live in a flood prone area so that should be a treat given that the rain isn't supposed to let up for days.

LV, I just bought a pack of disposables to cover me in the event I can't do laundry. Have you thought about that? Will the generator allow you to use power like you normally would or on a scaled-back basis?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppmom|1351264609|3292852 said:
I'm getting nervous about this storm! Power outage during pregnancy with a toddler=HELL...or so I imagine. We also live in a flood prone area so that should be a treat given that the rain isn't supposed to let up for days.

LV, I just bought a pack of disposables to cover me in the event I can't do laundry. Have you thought about that? Will the generator allow you to use power like you normally would or on a scaled-back basis?

Yikes, puppmom. Hopefully, the storm changes course, and you won't have to deal with any of this.

Last year, we went out and bought disposables during the storms. I think we'd be able to use the washer, but would have to shut off power to other appliances, but wouldn't have enough power to run the dryer. It's a 5500 watt generator, so we have to pick and choose which appliances will be given power. I will just be happy to have some power . . . like running water even for part of the day is a heck of a lot better than no running water at all. We totally have disposables for this potential event, and I'll be sure to have all laundry done this weekend so we don't have to worry about that.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this LV ... we'd totally spaced on checking local hardware stores but my husband ran out the minute I mentioned it and now we supposedly have one of their Sunday delivery of them. I'll believe it when it's here but it's better than no hope!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Loves Vintage|1351262495|3292834 said:

Yes, we are glad to have one finally, and we will use it, eventually, I'm sure! Does yours still work now? I asked DH about your comment, and he said they recommend you start them every 30 days for 15 mins at a time (we would never remember to do this) OR you can empty it entirely of gas before storing. We will do the latter. It's an important point, and certainly not something they tell you when you buy it!

It does work now and my husband is usually able to start things with a bit of gas directly into the carburator if it's just sticking a little bit (we just did this with the rototiller). We usually hook it up to the fridge when we lose power; flashlights and candles are fine for light, we have an adapter for laptops and of course phones in the car, and we have a hand pump on our well for water (really cold water, but still, clean drinkable water), an a gas stove we can light by hand, so it seems like saving all the food it is a good idea.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1351268480|3292904 said:
Thanks for posting this LV ... we'd totally spaced on checking local hardware stores but my husband ran out the minute I mentioned it and now we supposedly have one of their Sunday delivery of them. I'll believe it when it's here but it's better than no hope!

Oh, good! I hope you get one. Keep us posted! I kept reminding my DH that he never would have thought of it without me. :bigsmile: This particular place used to have a sign out when they had them in stock last year, so that's the only reason the thought occurred to me. Yay for all those local guys that are still there!

A woman told me today that they got theirs during one of the last storms at a pawn shop! So if anyone else is looking, that's the last place to check . . . and you all can check to see if they have any nice oecs while you're there! ::)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aviastar|1351273082|3292956 said:
Loves Vintage|1351262495|3292834 said:

It does work now and my husband is usually able to start things with a bit of gas directly into the carburator if it's just sticking a little bit (we just did this with the rototiller). We usually hook it up to the fridge when we lose power; flashlights and candles are fine for light, we have an adapter for laptops and of course phones in the car, and we have a hand pump on our well for water (really cold water, but still, clean drinkable water), an a gas stove we can light by hand, so it seems like saving all the food it is a good idea.

Oh, good, glad it still works! Wasn't sure what the effects were of not starting it regularly. I'm not much of a mechanical person, so a lot of this is new to me. I've never heard of a hand pump for a well, but sounds like a very good thing to have. After those two storms last year, so many more people have generators now. People can easily go one day without power, but five is just too much. Hopefully, all this preparation is for nothing!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I monitor a forum called Storm 2K. It's for "weather enthusiasts"-LOL. There are several professional weather forecasters who post on it. All have been in agreement that they have never seen anything like this and it WILL be a storm of historical proportions. It does not matter that it will no longer be a hurricane. It will still cause significant wind damage with power outages over a larger area, and coastal flooding with the potential of inland flooding- not to mention snow storms,too!!

It will "mostly" miss me as I am a little further south of the projected path although our coastal home will still get significant wind, rain, and potential flooding. As of this afternoon, Maryland and Virginia have both declared a State of Emergency. The latest track for Sandy takes it slightly north of the past track-now coming in closer to New Jersey on Tuesday morning. Monday night is a full moon with lunar high tides at its highest of the month. This could cause unbelievable flooding.

Please be careful, everyone!!! This storm is really frightening!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - if its path is NJ, isn't that right where your beach house is? :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1351276372|3293013 said:
I monitor a forum called Storm 2K. It's for "weather enthusiasts"-LOL. There are several professional weather forecasters who post on it. All have been in agreement that they have never seen anything like this and it WILL be a storm of historical proportions. It does not matter that it will no longer be a hurricane. It will still cause significant wind damage with power outages over a larger area, and coastal flooding with the potential of inland flooding- not to mention snow storms,too!!

It will "mostly" miss me as I am a little further south of the projected path although our coastal home will still get significant wind, rain, and potential flooding. As of this afternoon, Maryland and Virginia have both declared a State of Emergency. The latest track for Sandy takes it slightly north of the past track-now coming in closer to New Jersey on Tuesday morning. Monday night is a full moon with lunar high tides at its highest of the month. This could cause unbelievable flooding.

Is there a reason you feel it won't be a hurricane by the time it affects the US? From what I have read, Sandy was downgraded to Category 1 hurricane this morning, but is expected to strengthen again when it begins to interact with the mid-latitude trough system. Not that it makes a huge difference, because everything you have said about potential problems from the storm still stand, just making sure I am reading along correctly as I follow the updates!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1351280937|3293071 said:
pinkjewel|1351276372|3293013 said:

Is there a reason you feel it won't be a hurricane by the time it affects the US? From what I have read, Sandy was downgraded to Category 1 hurricane this morning, but is expected to strengthen again when it begins to interact with the mid-latitude trough system. Not that it makes a huge difference, because everything you have said about potential problems from the storm still stand, just making sure I am reading along correctly as I follow the updates!

Strong shear is causing the hurricane to weaken. It may even be downgraded to a tropical storm by tonight, but is expected to probably strengthen again. That doesn't mean it's less of a threat- this has been expected. It will become an extratropical storm as it moves northward into cooler waters. The storm is expected to get even larger with the bands of wind stretching further from the central cone of the storm. These winds will bring in storm surge waters to the areas especially north of where the storm makes land. That's why there is concern for New Jersey, Long Island, the New York harbour, and Manhatten.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1351268480|3292904 said:

Deco, One more thing - you may want to stock up on gas containers and a 240v extension cord (if you need one for a well pump, for example.) Our closest Lowe's is out of both, and my DH reported that three other shoppers came up to the same area looking for the same thing in the few minutes that he was there. We do have smaller gas containers, but I forget how much gas this generator takes to run for just 10 hrs, but the few containers that we have are smaller and wouldn't fill it to go the 10 hrs. Just sharing the little I'm learning thru DH since it sounds like you'll be a first time generator owner too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results