carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elizabethess|1484243177|4114760 said:
I was seriously dragging this morning, and tried to perk up with Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. It's not my typical type of scent (and not particularly for winter) but did the trick. Very bright, fresh start; smells like the air after peeling citrus. Develops into something a bit soapy and clean on me. I'm not really a soapy/clean scent person, but that opening zing got me going.

That sound wonderful to me. I wonder if I need a sample. You should write descriptions for sales!

Deb :wavey:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I was seriously dragging this morning, and tried to perk up with Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. It's not my typical type of scent (and not particularly for winter) but did the trick. Very bright, fresh start; smells like the air after peeling citrus. Develops into something a bit soapy and clean on me. I'm not really a soapy/clean scent person, but that opening zing got me going.
\I love that one!! have you tried their new Clementine California (its what I am wearing now) another perfect zesty pick me upper

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Today is the New Clementine California from Atelier Cologne

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose 31 Le Labo

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1484327600|4115055 said:

\I love that one!! have you tried their new Clementine California (its what I am wearing now) another perfect zesty pick me upper

I have not! But I will see if I can find some to sniff!

AGBF|1484270854|4114903 said:
That sound wonderful to me. I wonder if I need a sample. You should write descriptions for sales!

Haha, thanks!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Today I had a minor perfume calamity. Scent-tastrophe?

I have a wooden tray that holds all the tiny vials I've ordered/had made and grabbed what I thought was Nest Midnight Fleur, but ACTUALLY it was an older sample of Nest Amazon Lily I'd never gotten around to testing. Two liberal sprays and I suddenly thought, "ACK WHAT IS THAT SMELL?!" They are very different, indeed :) Unfortunately I'd never tried the Amazon Lily before, had I known it was something untried I'd certainly have applied less. Not sure if the perfume had turned or if lime and woods just do not work well on me, but it was really yucky.

I was running late for work so no time to re-shower or change. Tried wiping off with micellar water but could still smell. Ended up just trying to cover it up by adding my go-to comfort/cozy scent, which is Dior Hypnotic Poison. It helped tone it down for my nose, but not sure how anyone else might feel who has to stand in my vicinity :lol:

For the future, any suggestions on how to remove perfume without a full scrub/shower?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
elizabethess|1484337934|4115100 said:

I have a wooden tray that holds all the tiny vials I've ordered/had made and grabbed what I thought was Nest Midnight Fleur, but ACTUALLY it was an older sample of Nest Amazon Lily I'd never gotten around to testing. Two liberal sprays and I suddenly thought, "ACK WHAT IS THAT SMELL?!" They are very different, indeed :) Unfortunately I'd never tried the Amazon Lily before, had I known it was something untried I'd certainly have applied less. Not sure if the perfume had turned or if lime and woods just do not work well on me, but it was really yucky.

I was running late for work so no time to re-shower or change. Tried wiping off with micellar water but could still smell. Ended up just trying to cover it up by adding my go-to comfort/cozy scent, which is Dior Hypnotic Poison. It helped tone it down for my nose, but not sure how anyone else might feel who has to stand in my vicinity :lol:

For the future, any suggestions on how to remove perfume without a full scrub/shower?

Well Soap/water and sometimes alcohol. That usually doesn't get rid of ALL of it, but tones it down so its not a stinky mess.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today was Hermes Eau de Rhubarbe Ecarlate. Jeez, does not last long at all :( but man is it a beauty :love: But hey its friday, I have to pick something else out this evening anyway ;-)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I prefer light scents, which is why I've been loving my vanilla/apricot scent by Sud Pacifique lately.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1484328329|4115060 said:
Rose 31 Le Labo

Oooh that is a delicious perfume. :love:

Arcadian said:
elizabethess|1484337934|4115100 said:

Well Soap/water and sometimes alcohol. That usually doesn't get rid of ALL of it, but tones it down so its not a stinky mess.

Yes soap and water works in diluting a too strong or an unpleasant scent. And I have tried baby wipes in a pinch and they work too.

Arcadian said:
Today was Hermes Eau de Rhubarbe Ecarlate. Jeez, does not last long at all :( but man is it a beauty :love: But hey its friday, I have to pick something else out this evening anyway ;-)

Thanks for this rec. I love Hermes' perfumes and going to check this one out. My favorite Hermes winter perfume is Ambre Narguile. A delicious winter scent.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
today was Pour Une Femme de Caron (pure parfum).The top, all bright mandarin and african orange flower, the heart; a beautiful and dry smoked rose with a drop of amber. Deep into the drydown, a musky vetiver with sandalwood shavings. I hate that they ever discontinued this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, can you find it on other sites? I have stocked up on a few fave perfumes when they discontinued them and they last usually for years and years under the proper conditions.

Excited because my samples arrived yesterday. Will keep you posted re my impressions.

img_14519.jpg

img_14520.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I've got the EDP and PP. considering how many bottles I have of other things :shock: yes it will last me a very long time. I think its a shame it was discontinued given the history of the house however, but these things happen when you have houses change hands so many times.

Unfortunately Caron has been through MANY hands. The new owners did bring back Montaigne, which isn't really that old but still does carry the signature Caronaide base, but I'm also hoping they bring back the classics that were horribly done in the 80's by Richardr Frysse, or have went away over the last few years and restore them to their classic beauty. (Bellodgia especially) It may be harder with those as IFRA screws up everything in the perfume world :roll:

Caron French Cancan is an absolute delight if you find the right vintage, and Narcisse Blanc which is a rarity anymore... Love it and have a decent amount left but very rare and uber hard to find anymore though I heard you can get in the Paris boutique. Alpona is just gone. :(

I remember the first time I went to the Caron Boutique in Manhattan. Oh my.... I spent WAY too much but the urns are pretty irresistible! The urns were always the best of Caron in the later years. The first time I went, was back when you could get Caron Rose from the urns...which has also been discontinued! :cry:

I've always had their Paris boutique on my bucket list. Someday when I'm not working so damn much, right?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, that would indeed be a dream visit!

I have worn 2 of the fragrances in the sample pack so far. One a win and one not for me.

I LOVE the Blackpepper Eau de Parfum by Comme des Garcons. Delicious, fresh and crisp. Peppery at first and then the warmth of cedar and incense and oud once the pepper wears off. I feel this is definitely a unisex fragrance and would smell wonderful on a man too though my dh gets some sort of floral from this so he doesn't think so. I think he was smelling my hair scrunch spray lol. I definitely need to wear this again. My only issue is the silage and longevity is weak but usually that is my problem because my skin is so dry and nothing seems to last very long. Except for the rich and luxurious Tihota but that is the only exception to most of my perfume selection.

The second sample I wore I didn't care for at all. Geisha Vanille Hinoki by Aroma M. Not a gourmand vanilla at all and IMO a bit plasticy , artificial and medicinal for me. It made me nauseous and gave me a headache almost immediately and I had to clean it off my wrist as best as possible because I disliked it that much.

Elizabeth, did you receive your samples yet? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1484405818|4115264 said:
I prefer light scents, which is why I've been loving my vanilla/apricot scent by Sud Pacifique lately.

How funny. I just ordered some liquid soap from EO Products, where I had always gotten my scented bubble bath (my favorite scent now being discontinued), and I decided to try the highly acclaimed vanilla apricot. Sorry for the threadjack. ;))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1484327600|4115055 said:

I love that one!! have you tried their new Clementine California (its what I am wearing now) another perfect zesty pick me upper

It sounds like something I might like in my current orange oriented frame of mind. I only recently learned that the cologne sample I picked up in my house, the one that I described here as feeling like pine trees in the snow, the mandarin, neroli and cedar, was full of orange. I knew, of course, that mandarin, was orange, but I had no idea that neroli was orange blossoms! No one had told me. I recently picked that up reading about orange and orange blossom scents.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, interesting assessments. Geisha Vanille Hinoki wasn't exactly my favorite either but I also got LOTS of wood. Why wood? No clue. 7 billion hearts, which people LOVE to death for me is like walking down the lumber aisle at Home Depot. :shock: Both of these for me didn't register as vanilla anything.

CdG was lovely. A bit tame though and your husband would not be the first man to think it screws to the fem side.

Unisex can be tricky for guys that feel that floral means traditionally female. One that I got him to use was Costume National Scent Intense. Even though Jasmine and Hibiscus is in it, he doesn't seem to mind. On me its more amber and tea anyway. I ended up getting him his own bottle so he could stop coveting mine...lol.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is Caron Fleurs de Rocaille. This is a very parfum de toilette bottle, roughly 1960's. Biggest surprise was that it was unopened, but it was apparently stored VERY Well (or I got ubber lucky!!) because its absolutely delish and top notes haven't died even after all this time. Its also a bit (well a lot) different from the current release. totally different set of notes.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
missy|1484660540|4115934 said:
Elizabeth, did you receive your samples yet? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'm glad you got yours and are reviewing already! Tracking says mine should arrive today! Excited for new things to sniff...

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1484457762|4115418 said:
today was Pour Une Femme de Caron (pure parfum).The top, all bright mandarin and african orange flower, the heart; a beautiful and dry smoked rose with a drop of amber. Deep into the drydown, a musky vetiver with sandalwood shavings. I hate that they ever discontinued this.

Oh, that sounds lovely!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Today I am wearing a light femine and floral fave!!! Jo Malone Wild Bluebell :love:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1484682314|4116025 said:
Today I am wearing a light femine and floral fave!!! Jo Malone Wild Bluebell :love:

Oooh! I have a little sample of Jo Malone Mimosa and Cardamom. How does the Wild Bluebell last on you? Mine seems to disappear so fast :(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
elizabethess|1484683290|4116035 said:
ckrickett|1484682314|4116025 said:

Oooh! I have a little sample of Jo Malone Mimosa and Cardamom. How does the Wild Bluebell last on you? Mine seems to disappear so fast :(

lasts about 3-4 hours on me, but if its really humid out lasts about 2

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I got my sample set from zoologist. Perfume Overload!!! :appl:

I sprung for the discovery set, which is extremely reasonable. I love that they're decent sized sprays so you can get a good amount of wearings out of them before investing in a bottle (they're not terribly expensive but IMB, multiple wearings are a must!!)

Bat - Strange soil note! I mean its like a real soil tincture. Like someone rubbed some soil on you. Not unpleasant but a little unexpected!. Not really my idea of a perfume I'd wear out, but hey it takes all types right?
Nightingale - Full bottle worthy. I need to give it a proper wearing but what I could smell, you could really smell smoked plum blossom..whoa...Its moistly floral, musky with a touch of patch.
Civet - I got a feeling I'll be getting a bottle of this. Tuberose with coffee notes, leather, incense....a wee bit of powder *LOVE* I put this on after the gym and its still going strong.
Hummingbird - A bit strange. Lightly sweet. I smell something chemical though. A proper wearing is totally necessary could be just me considering how many I smelled...lol.
Beaver - my least favorite. I don't tend to like aquatics much and its quite a lot on the chemical side of things.

I still have a ways to go on this set, so will give my impressions on a few more tomorrow.

For those interested
https://www.zoologistperfumes.com/

the discovery set is very reasonable,about 42 with shipping, but it can take a bit to get from canada if you're in the states.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1484708487|4116138 said:

I sprung for the discovery set, which is extremely reasonable. I love that they're decent sized sprays so you can get a good amount of wearings out of them before investing in a bottle (they're not terribly expensive but IMB, multiple wearings are a must!!)

Bat - Strange soil note! I mean its like a real soil tincture. Like someone rubbed some soil on you. Not unpleasant but a little unexpected!. Not really my idea of a perfume I'd wear out, but hey it takes all types right?
Nightingale - Full bottle worthy. I need to give it a proper wearing but what I could smell, you could really smell smoked plum blossom..whoa...Its moistly floral, musky with a touch of patch.
Civet - I got a feeling I'll be getting a bottle of this. Tuberose with coffee notes, leather, incense....a wee bit of powder *LOVE* I put this on after the gym and its still going strong.
Hummingbird - A bit strange. Lightly sweet. I smell something chemical though. A proper wearing is totally necessary could be just me considering how many I smelled...lol.
Beaver - my least favorite. I don't tend to like aquatics much and its quite a lot on the chemical side of things.

I still have a ways to go on this set, so will give my impressions on a few more tomorrow.

For those interested

the discovery set is very reasonable,about 42 with shipping, but it can take a bit to get from canada if you're in the states.

Ooh the Civet sounds promising. Love coffee, leather and incense and yes to longevity. Thank you for the recommendation. By the way you work fast.How many perfumes did you sample in a day? I am impressed. The most I can handle is one a day but I get fragrance overwhelmed too easily and it doesn't take much to make me nauseous or give me a headache with scents so I go slow. Looking forward to hearing the rest of your review!

I tried Radio Bombay D.S. & Durga yesterday. It was just OK. I get initially coconut and then a cedar smell mainly. This one is a pass for me. Just OK verging on meh.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1484736598|4116196 said:
Arcadian|1484708487|4116138 said:

For those interested

Ooh the Civet sounds promising. Love coffee, leather and incense and yes to longevity. Thank you for the recommendation. By the way you work fast.How many perfumes did you sample in a day? I am impressed. The most I can handle is one a day but I get fragrance overwhelmed too easily and it doesn't take much to make me nauseous or give me a headache with scents so I go slow. Looking forward to hearing the rest of your review!

I tried Radio Bombay D.S. & Durga yesterday. It was just OK. I get initially coconut and then a cedar smell mainly. This one is a pass for me. Just OK verging on meh.

I guess around 2010-2011 I went to one of the big perfume shows in NY. You learned how to huff trust me :lol: I was enthralled by all the fumes there. It was a lot of fun and the perfumers do teach you a few techniques for smelling.

When I have a lot to test, I start with the coffee filter method. basically you take a cone coffee filter, spray it, let it dry then smell.

When I like what I smell I transfer that to skin.... So pretty much, small dot, fan, then smell. lots of times though I also have help ;-) (he was covered in perfumes...lol) but my noes dies around scent 4-5, so I have to stop and take a break... fresh air is the only way to get all that perfume out of my head. Only thing is, I can't do that 2 days in a row. thankfully I don't do marathon testing too often!!!

But I also have a pen and paper and jot down thoughts. :shock: I don't know I'm weird that way...lol

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Zoologist Panda which is a green aquatic. Its more along the lines of Bath and Body Works Rain Kissed Leaves with an additional white musk. I know a lot of people who feel its a fresh wet leaf and um.. nope, nope, all the nopes. But anyone that loves that will love this.

You don't get real bamboo until late in the drydown. Nest does bamboo very well, that one was probably one of my favorite bamboo-centric perfumes as they really used the lily-of-the-valley there very well. That fume is a drier rendition, and maybe thats why I like it more.

This is much more LOTV, which can be a nice note, but then you throw in the wet musty leaves and copious amount of white musk :knockout: I don't get much osmanthus (a note I really love), nor do I get too much mimosa or orange blossom. Any suchuan pepper is so well hidden its almost like its not there. Almost everything is pretty much hidden underneath the musty wet leaves, white musk, and LOTV.

Let me be clear, I don't get along very well with aquatics. So this review should be taken with a grain of salt because its a rare one that I just really love and will actually praise. (Alfred Sung Shi is seriously a favorite)

I still can appreciate what they're trying to convey even though I don't like it much.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
couldn't take it anymore, showered and changed. Sticks to skin like stink on sh*t though :lol: always the case when it doesn't work.

Good thing i work from home ;-)

Changed to Zoologist Nightingale. Ooo I'm loving this. medicinal from the Oud note. but you get that up front, it does calm down to this plush/billowy dark pink/purple floral. extremely lush though it sits close to skin. Some people seem to get powder and I get none of that, just billows of florals with Saffron, frankincense (this is where that smoke is coming from!) and those super lovely flowers.. and oakmoss. Love love love this one.......

Will be interested to see where this one lands in terms of longevity. Needs a good 3 wearings though before I pull the trigger.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Arcadian- Hmm, based off those descriptions, I think I'd like Nightingale and Civet the most!

Today I'm trying my first sample from the Luckyscent 2016 for Her collection (though this one is listed as unisex): Baraonda by Nasomatto.

First smell I got was syrup-y booze-soaked dried cherries/currants, like you'd find in a fruitcake. Gave way to drier (maybe a bit dusty?) incense. I'll be honest, I don't have enough knowledge to parse what specific note/notes "incense" is, when something smells like incense to me. At the end the initial syrupy-ness faded and mellowed into a lighter--but still very sweet--blend of fruit (cherries?), booze (bourbon?), rounded out with softly spicy woods, incense (?) and something that might be maybe a little tuberose? I'm really not very experienced with figuring out some notes, but it had a little similarity to the Nirvana Bourbon I tried earlier, and they list tuberose for that. Obviously just need to keep sniffing to learn :lol: [edit to add: I just smelled the Q-Tip I used to apply it this morning, and that def. smells floral in a way my skin doesn't. Kind of like roses? But Rose and Tuberose are different, right? Hmmm.)

Gave me immediate flashbacks to a Black Phoenix perfume oil blend I used to wear from time to time back when I was into that, a decade ago! That scent was Black Phoenix Blood Kiss (honeyed cherries, clove, vetiver, red wine, musk) Different booze, same overall sentiment. I wish I still had my box of imps (samples) so I could compare them side by side. I may order a new one just to compare.

I liked it. Not signature-scent, not sure I'd get a full bottle, but I liked it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results