shape
carat
color
clarity

For those of you with front loader washing machines. FYI

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had a Samsung front loader for almost two years. A couple of weeks ago, I heard some awful sounds....turns out it was a broken
pump.

Found out a couple things I didn't know. The manual tells you to fill the soap up to a line in the dispenser. I use Kirkland for HE machines.
Evidently that is way too much, even though it is what the manual states. I should be using the cup where the first line is ...the teeniest
amount, and you should NEVER see any suds in an HE machine.

Secondly, each month I should put it on sanitize and run 2 cups of white vinegar through the machine. He told me today to run a couple of loads with it. The soap creates gunk that coats the drain and the pump which will cause it to break. The vinegar will STOP this and KEEP YOUR MACHINE FROM BREAKING. Sorry to cap that, but it could save you tons of money in the long run.

Thirdly, there is a drain in the bottom of my machine that the manual says to drain monthly. The awesome repair man told me to only drain it if the machine won't drain. The once a month white vinegar bath will keep that from getting smelly, and draining it often will
damage the seal and cause you problems.

I have read and highlighted the machine manual and made all my kids read it before they used it. The problem is none of these things are covered in the manual. The repair man told me he gives these mini 'classes' to folks about 4 times a day. He was an awesome repair man!

You can use the little tablets that are sold for machines but the white vinegar is a whole lot cheaper. Got to love a repair man who is watching out for the bottom line.

Just thought I would share this with you all....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for sharing!!!!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I think the same could be said about a top load HE machine. I use Afresh in my machine once a month to clean it out.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Ooh I have a Samsung front loader and the poor thing has never been treated to a cup of vinegar! I think I shall do it tomorrow. Thanks so much for the tips!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Good advice! Also, (if safe to do so for your own home) we leave the door to our front loader open to let it air dry. Another way to prevent "the smell" that plagues front loaders.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1324065229|3082991 said:
Good advice! Also, (if safe to do so for your own home) we leave the door to our front loader open to let it air dry. Another way to prevent "the smell" that plagues front loaders.

We have done this from day one and have had no issues with musty icky smells. We do close when it gets dry though, as I hear just leaving it open all the time is bad for the door.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info! I leave the door open to the washing machine to air dry it but never knew about the vinegar and all the other info you posted. Much appreciated. Sorry your machine broke and hope it's all fixed and working well now!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I leave the door open faithfully, but it doesn't stop the smell from the soapy buildup, unfortunately. The vinegar will do the trick.
You can use the pricer tablets too, and I have done that, although not every month.

He also said that the machine will do a better job if you do like items together. Like 10 pairs of jeans, or 15 to 20 towels. It doesn't do so well if you mix your jeans with your regular laundry like T-shirts. The weight in the basket is the issue. I am going to try that and see how it goes too.

2 cups of vinegar, once a month. You can pour it in as the machine is running, it won't hurt it to do that with vinegar, only soap should
not be poured in while the machine is running for the sake of your clothes.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's interesting. I've had my Kenmore HE for 10 years :-o and it still runs great. Only had one repair and it was when we moved and the drum got knocked out of balance. I always use HE detergent but have never used the vinegar and will try it. My warranty is about to expire and we're trying to decide whether to pay the $200 for 2 more years or just put it towards a new machine. They are such much cheaper than they were when we bought ours.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Very good information, thank you! Do you put the vinegar where the soap usually goes? I can never get DH to keep the door open to air dry. It drives me crazy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a Samsung and really appreciate the info!

I have also always left the door open but got that moldy smell anyway. BUT one simple thing totally solved that for me. I changed from liquid detergent to Tide HE powder. I have never had that musty smell again. I do use the lowest line in the detergent scoop. I did try vinegar before to get rid of the musty smell but it didn't work long term. But it is terrific to know I still need to use the vinegar to keep the pump working!!! But are you saying to run a load of clothes when you put in the vinegar? I guess you have to or it might not put any water in the machine!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i love my 25 years old Maytag top loader.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1324076093|3083094 said:
I also have a Samsung and really appreciate the info!

I have also always left the door open but got that moldy smell anyway. BUT one simple thing totally solved that for me. I changed from liquid detergent to Tide HE powder. I have never had that musty smell again. I do use the lowest line in the detergent scoop. I did try vinegar before to get rid of the musty smell but it didn't work long term. But it is terrific to know I still need to use the vinegar to keep the pump working!!! But are you saying to run a load of clothes when you put in the vinegar? I guess you have to or it might not put any water in the machine!

No, diamondseeker, no clothes in with the vinegar rinse. Set the machine on sanitize and use the highest spin cycle. The repairman also
said to use the highest spin speed for everything but delicates. The more water you spin out the better for your clothes and the machine.
I have run to sanitize rinses today, and DH says the machine smells clean. I don't have much of a sense of smell anymore, so I have to have
someone else smell it! :o

I never used the scoop that came with the soap but followed the manual directions about the fill amount in the cup.

I will probably do a vinegar rinse a couple more times because he said the drain was really clogged. Maybe stuff doesn't clog so much with the powdered detergent like it does with the liquid. Something to think about.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
indecisive|1324075026|3083078 said:
Very good information, thank you! Do you put the vinegar where the soap usually goes? I can never get DH to keep the door open to air dry. It drives me crazy!

Yup, you put the vinegar where the soap goes. It won't all fit in at one time but will continue to drain as the machine is running while you do this. Normally, you don't open the soap drawer when the machine is running for soap, but since there is no clothes in there while you are running the sanitize cycle there is no problem.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My HE frontloader is four years old now. So far, so good, though occassionally, I have to unplug/plug it because it won't start, and it has to reset itself. Weird, huh? I do sometimes run a sanitize cycle but used bleach. I love the idea of vinegar, instead (more green) so I'm going to do a cycle tonight. Thanks for the tips!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1324077247|3083107 said:

You might like it a little less when we get water meters!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1324092153|3083236 said:
Dancing Fire|1324077247|3083107 said:

You might like it a little less when we get water meters!
i heard it'll only cost $1 per 1000 gals... :read:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I use those Tide cleaning powder you can get from the grocery store because they smell so good. I seriously open up the package and smell the powder (probably not a good idea but I can't help it).

Thans for sharing, I suppose I could try it with vinegar every once in a while to save money.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I use bleach once a month on sanatize in mine or it starts to smell awful. I wonder if thats just as good as vinegar. I hate hate the smell of vinegar.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You make me glad I've refused to get a front-loader. What a PITA. I LOVE my top-loading Fisher & Paykel, which would benefit from some of your advice, but does not need to be left open or bothered with. :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have cats...and lots of cat hair. i find that i like to clean the filter about every 3 months or so.....i didn't know about this and went over one year after getting the front load washer....yep, smelly as all get out. live and learn. btw, love my front loader.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My front loader has rubber baffles between the drum and the door. After every cycle I use an old hand towel to sop up all the water in the baffles, and then leave the door open for a bit. I've only had odor problems once or twice when I neglected this routine, and a cycle with bleach takes care of that.

As for the wet towel...? It goes out on the clothesline. I live in the slums where these things are still allowed! :wink2:

MZ - are you referring to a filter on the drain line, or is there another filter that I should be checking?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
VR, on my machine the drain line is to the left of the filter....i drain with lots of towels on the floor and then pull the filter. my towels go into the washing machine at that point....i do it whenever i have a lot of towels to wash.

hey, we're in the boonies, too! i've actually draped wet towels on the deck railing to dry in the summer...... :D doesn't seem to bother the deer that much.......

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I do know that one should use super low sud formulas for front loading machines. Same cleaning results, but a much longer machine line...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results