shape
carat
color
clarity

Exxon Oil Pipline Rupture in Arkansas...anyone in the area?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Re: Exxon Oil Pipline Rupture in Arkansas...anyone in the ar

I was not too far away when it ruptured. My dad lives about 15 or 20 miles from there, and I happened to be visiting him that weekend. There were no effects at my dad's house, but we drove by the area on the way to my brother's house, and boy did it stink. I feel so badly for all of the people who were displaced, and the effect the oil will have on their lives and their homes.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A FB friend who lives nearby was ranting about that very thing - that coverage seems non-existent. It does come up if you look for it however. I found this one to be interesting.

Arkansas oil spill will come up at Keystone XL pipeline hearing
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130410/NEWS/704109893/1685

A lot of us in Oklahoma are worried about the Keystone. Just another example of privatizing the rewards, and making the public pay the cost of the risks. I know when we had a bunch of pretty strong earthquakes last year, a young friend who worked as a geologist for Chesapeake, while he didn't deny that that fracking they were doing was probably to blame, also rather off-handedly stated that such things were just the cost of doing business. I thought it a fine example of the mindset of large corporations in general in this country.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger|1365597522|3423936 said:
A FB friend who lives nearby was ranting about that very thing - that coverage seems non-existent. It does come up if you look for it however. I found this one to be interesting.

A lot of us in Oklahoma are worried about the Keystone. Just another example of privatizing the rewards, and making the public pay the cost of the risks. I know when we had a bunch of pretty strong earthquakes last year, a young friend who worked as a geologist for Chesapeake, while he didn't deny that that fracking they were doing was probably to blame, also rather off-handedly stated that such things were just the cost of doing business. I thought it a fine example of the mindset of large corporations in general in this country.

I'm sad to see this thread only has 2 comments. It affects us in one way shape or form-and I'm sad to see that news coverage is like this even locally. And yes-Keystone scares the crap out of me too. I saw the beauty of BC alone and to think of the affects it will have (even just putting the pipeline in) let alone if something were to happen-and I'm certain someday-somewhere it will.

Up here in Canada they have commercials about how "great the oil sands are" and how they are doing things to lessen the impact on the environment-every time I see those I wonder how many people REALLY know just how damaging they are.

Okie_girl said:
I was not too far away when it ruptured. My dad lives about 15 or 20 miles from there, and I happened to be visiting him that weekend. There were no effects at my dad's house, but we drove by the area on the way to my brother's house, and boy did it stink. I feel so badly for all of the people who were displaced, and the effect the oil will have on their lives and their homes.

Okie girl: I hope that your brother family is safe. I have a feeling they really won't *ever* know the extent of the damage. It's a shame and I pray that no one suffer any health issues because of it. Although I'm sure people will :(( ;(

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, the crickets in here are a result of the effectiveness of the forces trying to control the flow of info and spin on the national outlets.

Here's some fine reading....

http://www.tarsandsblockade.org/exxonspill-dispatches-5/

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger|1365619065|3424153 said:
Yeah, the crickets in here are a result of the effectiveness of the forces trying to control the flow of info and spin on the national outlets.

Here's some fine reading....

http://www.tarsandsblockade.org/exxonspill-dispatches-5/

;( ;( :errrr: :errrr: :nono: :nono: :blackeye: :blackeye: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :o :o :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

O.M.G.

It's worse than I thought. Just goes to show who owns the media and shows how far things are willing to be pushed under the rug instead of actually being taken care of. Freaking horrible.

There huge issues from the BP oil spill as well-including the fact that the leaks haven't all been patched. But you heard about it for a few weeks and now you hear about it no more. Same with Japan and the nuclear power plant-I have a feeling this is going to continue no matter how bad the issues are.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

DH and I have been rallying against KXL for years now. Please please PLEASE, contact the State Department and let them know that you are against the Pipeline if you haven't already. We have been doing it through the Sierra Club, but 350.org is also leading the charge against KXL.

It is incredible the lengths the oil companies will go to and it just makes me ill. This is our chance to finally stand up to them...don't let it go to waste!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintagelover229|1365612154|3424059 said:
I'm sad to see this thread only has 2 comments.

OK...I'm officially in, now. I hadn't commented, but I had read your links and forwarded them to friends who I thought would be interested. I was really appalled that there was, apparently, a no-fly zone over the mess. I take nothing at face value, but I thought that you did a real public service by posting these links so that we could investigate further. I notified the people in my life best equipped with the scientific knowledge and social interest to investigate further. I always love your postings, vintagelover. I am sorry I didn't give you any feedback on this thread earlier.

Hugs,
Deb
:wavey:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have a lakehouse in east Texas. The keystone goes right by the lake (drinking water for multiple counties, a precious resource in TX), through farms which ship beef nationwide, and through a nature preserve. I didn't hear *anything* about the keystone coming through so I had to google it to see what all the digging equipment was doing along the sides of roads. The tar sands is disgusting and the chances of leaks is very high because our TX soil is constantly shifting. I don't understand how this happened so fast and quietly. It's crazy that we have a vote on allowing alcohol sales but have no vote on toxic substances in our lives. I feel bad for the farmers who are getting screwed because a leak will happen and they will lose everything. Not to mention thousands of people eating beef from cows that feed on toxic land. I'm very proud of this country in so many ways, but the lack of concern for its citizens regarding the keystone is astounding. How is it possible to keep the media so quiet? I mean money can't buy everyone, can it?

Vintage lover and Vc10um, thanks for giving this attention. It takes a lot of Davids to get Goliath.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

so,if we put all of the big oil Co. out of business then everything will be fine? I don't know about your cars but my cars don't run on water.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1365826238|3426013 said:

so,if we put all of the big oil Co. out of business then everything will be fine? I don't know about your cars but my cars don't run on water.

Well, as usual DF, you display your inability to read what was written rather than what you read INTO what was written. I never said that, nor implied it. Your straw man doesn't interest me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for posting this vintagelover. What a tragedy and these effects will be long lasting. Through many lifetimes. Unacceptable that some say it is the cost of doing business. :(sad :(sad :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results