shape
carat
color
clarity

emailing a resume, etiquette????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been out of the job world for a few years now and will possibly be going back to work. Many jobs prefer applications/resume''s to be emailed. When you do this, how long do you wait to receive confirmation that your resume was received before following up with a phone call or email?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which professional field are we talking about here? I think it varies depending on the field.

I know in education (here in IL, at least) it is a no-no to call after you submit your electronic application. That''s the fastest way to get your resume placed on the bottom of the pile.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Mrss~I don''t have any advice, but wanted to wish you luck! I didn''t know you were planning to go back to work. You have an education degree, right? If you don''t mind me asking, are you applying to be a teacher?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
haven- that is interesting. I was an aquatics director before I got married and am considering going back into the field. So, it''s not like it''s a huge corporate job. I did email my resume and application and thought some type of reply from the HR person saying they received would be the norm. but, maybe not? Do you just wait and see if you get called for an interview?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 3:40:33 PM
Author: Burk
Mrss~I don''t have any advice, but wanted to wish you luck! I didn''t know you were planning to go back to work. You have an education degree, right? If you don''t mind me asking, are you applying to be a teacher?

Burk, I''m not 100% sure that I will but am I considering it if it can help us move back to TN. I do have an education degree but am not ready to go back into full time teaching just yet...

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am the last person in the whole wide world capable of giving advice here. My particular technique (based on results so far) is guaranteed (or your money back) to get absolutely no response at all; except for the standardised PFO!

Sorry to rant.

I wanted to post to wish you luck, if/when you start applying.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Generally, you're not suppose to call if you've sent in a resume. Unfortunely, you basically have to wait with your fingers crossed.

ETA - if you have an educational degree and do not want to start FT, what about applying as a substitute educational assistant?

Best of luck!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I see! I remember another poster saying there is no possibility of part-time teaching in her district, is it the same where you live? I teach part time. Next year my schedule will have me working 11am-3pm which is ideal for me!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 3:47:12 PM
Author: Burk
Oh, I see! I remember another poster saying there is no possibility of part-time teaching in her district, is it the same where you live? I teach part time. Next year my schedule will have me working 11am-3pm which is ideal for me!

there may be part time, I just really enjoyed my previous job and want to do that.

Good to know that a follow-up is basically a no-no. If no one contacts you, how do you know they even got it and your application didn''t go into the spam filter?

gosh, 8 years away from all this and it sure has changed!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think you just have to assume they got the resume, no real way to check...

Good luck with your job search!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a fun job, MrsS!

I just wait and see if I get called. Although, it''s hard to get an interview unless you know someone in the school. Could you call a personal contact where you''re applying? There''s nothing like having an insider push your resume to the top of the pile.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Unless the job you''re applying online for needs to be filled quickly, and the employer has indicated that they will make a very quick decision, I would give it a week.

However, let me explain why I say that. I''ve never worked for a huge corporation where they have a whole Human Resource department fully staffed with several people. So it has been my experience, as a manager who hires her own staff, that I''m extremely busy right after I lose an employee that I now need to replace. I''m doing my job, and their job. I will take a week to gather resumes, and another week to set up interviews and make a decision. I need that time to get it all done without making a snap decision just to get a warm body. So it will depend largely on where you are sending that resume, and who will be making the hiring decisions. The big guys will be able to field your call and answer questions within a few days.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks Holly. they are excepting resume''s though Feb. 6, so no real hurry. I''m just anxious because getting the interview/job is so important in our ability to move home. I''ve been in the process of getting all my previous certifications current again and working part time here. I''m applying for a position that I''d already held at one time and have experience doing. I was just hoping that I would at least get a confirmation email and a note indicating whether or not I''m a candidate for an interview. I just hate the waiting
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Mrs S, I hope you get a call and more importantly the job!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, MrsS, it has been a long time since I was in that situation, but it is a feeling you never forget! The waiting is so hard! Thankfully I have the attitude that if something is meant to be, it will all work out...and I know you believe that, too! I think they''d be very lucky to get you, so it is their loss if they don''t!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks kaleigh and DS. I do believe if it's meant to be it will happen. It's funny because last month I applied for a similar job here and got a response email but no call for an interview. In the meantime the job opening in TN came available and that's really where we want to go. If I'm going to go back to work I at least want to be back where my family is able to help out and where I have friends to really help too and then my hubby can get back to doing what he really loves too and wants to go home as much as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results